Menu

Combining Roman Roads and Memoria Press History and Lit

Is it possible to combine RR Old Western Culture Christendom with Memoria Press Middle Ages history and literature?  This would be for 9th grade next year.  I've been using MP history and lit for two years now and it's going well.  However, I recently discovered RR OWC, and know we could all greatly benefit from Mr. Callihan's teaching.  My husband watched a segment and immediately said, "Sold!"  Would combining the two be too much?

Thoughts?  Advice?  This is my first foray into high school and I want to get it right.

Edited by RubyPenn

It would be too much to do both. If you think of the OWC quarters as 12 week units and look at how many weeks for the individual lesson plans for the titles you want from MP, I think you could put something together. Of course you could watch all the lectures if you like for the titles you don't necessarily want to have dc read.

We did something like that this year with the British Lit in my signature. It was our spine and primary source for readings, but we've done the MP guide for Sir Gawain, full length Beowulf, some great courses here and there, and are using the two released OWC year 4 quarters with the material in the textbook for that time period.

Sometimes I use just the tests/ quizzes from MP literature if I'm pulling in other resources. This is my second time through most of the material. We'll do the same next year, starting over with Ancients. It will be a mash-up of EIL, OWC and Great Couses with a college anthology as a spine. There's no way we'll cover it all, so I will pick and choose "units" as we move through sequentially. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Thank you, that is helpful.  So in OWC, do you read any full works or just excerpts?  Can the OWC video lectures stand on their own? Can my son watch the lectures, but do the MP readings and student guides or would it be better to do the whole OWC program?