Menu

Summer jobs for teens?

Pen

What places tend to hire teens in summer and make good beginner jobs?  And when should applications for summer jobs be made?

I am thinking of basic jobs like perhaps scooping ice cream or bagging groceries , not some special internship.  

But also telecommuting work from home if available to teens or independent work like tutoring could be possible.

I live in a land of water parks and pools, so lifeguarding is huge in the summer, but also decent year round. (Ski resorts for the winter.)

I love the idea that everyone should have at least some experience working in the food industry. My teens are currently washing dishes, hostessing, and busing tables, hoping to work up to waiting tables. My oldest did a decent stint as a grocery cashier as a teen, which is also some great experience. (Our stores usually reserve bagging for retirees and/or fundraisers.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

What places tend to hire teens in summer and make good beginner jobs?  And when should applications for summer jobs be made?

I am thinking of basic jobs like perhaps scooping ice cream or bagging groceries , not some special internship.  

But also telecommuting work from home if available to teens or independent work like tutoring could be possible.

those are year round jobs, not just summer.

tutoring would be more during the school year - and it would really depend what they would be tutoring in.

a "summer only" job would be more like lifeguarding at your local pool, or summer rec programs.

• Like 2

I think besides truly seasonal jobs like life guard, summer camp counselor, etc. employers prefer to hire someone who will be around longer than the summer. It is a good idea to go for those jobs in the late winter/ spring but for those typical kid jobs (grocery bagger) applying during the school year and being ready to start immediately is a good approach. Of course, if teen can really only work during the summer that doesn’t work.

My ds waited tables at Cracker Barrel in high school and learned so much. They were much busier on holiday weekends and during the summer because it is a popular road trip stop. So maybe they do hire extra in summer. 

42 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

tutoring would be more during the school year - and it would really depend what they would be tutoring in.

a "summer only" job would be more like lifeguarding at your local pool, or summer rec programs.

In some areas, those sorts of jobs may go to students and who does them actually does turn over in the summer because college students shuffle around. Some businesses, like ice cream shops, do hire more people in the summer.

But generally, IME, none of those jobs are going to teens anymore. They're all going to adults. I think this depends on your area though.

• Like 1

My daughter started in food service when she was 16, at a little bagel shop. She started in summer but the shop was just opening then. She had wanted it for summer only but ended up staying on during the school year with limited hours (which worked only because of homeschooling).  

Around my area, there is a seasonal ice cream-type chain that hires lots of teens for their first job. 

I think customer service jobs, whether food service or retail, is a great first job for a kid. Gives them empathy for service workers!  

There are also laborer/construction type jobs sometimes. My other kid started as a helper at a welding shop one summer, and they kept him on with limited (and flexible) hours all through the school year.  

Edited by marbel

Mine started volunteering with the rec department when he was 13 as a swim aide. Last year he was hired on and this year he will be old enough do additional training so his pay and responsibilities can increase. Next summer he will be old enough to lifeguard. He has been offered additional positions for this upcoming year within the rec department as well (he actually works for a neighbouring community's parks and rec department as well).

All that to say, jobs can evolve out of volunteer positions, since the volunteer has already proven themselves and has made connections.

Hobbies and extracurriculars can also provide job opportunities. DS has worked at a bike shop, for example, and some of his running mates work as counsellors at running camps. 

I agree that working any job that deals with the public teaches innumerable lessons. 

Every employer in our area is starved for workers, especially in the summer because of tourism. Other areas might present more of a challenge, of course.

• Like 1

We have several doggie day cares around here. They hire extra teens in the summer to help take/supervise the dogs in their outdoor exercise yard. 

Our library asked for extra teen volunteers during the summer to help with the summer reading program (personally, I'd run like crazy away from this, but some might enjoy it!) No pay, but good experience. They also need some volunteers during the school year to shelve books (which sounds better to me!)

We have several snow cone/shaved ice food (?) trucks and stands that hire many during the summer. 

All of these would be good starter jobs. 

My daughter worked three summers during high school at an organic farm that was operated by our local food bank. Her first summer, she worked on the general crew; her second summer, she was a crew leader; her final summer, she worked at their weekly farm stand. 

Regards,

Kareni

We live in the rural Midwest, so lots and lots of ag related jobs for teens around here. Clearing rocks out of fields to prepare for plowing, walking rows to get rid of weeds, detassling corn, etc. Most area farmers hire teens every summer. Lots of hard physical labor, but they usually pay better than a fast food place would.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:56 AM, gardenmom5 said:

Lots of high school kids here don't work during the school year, so those jobs (grocery store, ice cream, etc.) often are summer jobs. We also live near the ocean, so there are a lot of kids who do the  more typical summer jobs too. It's a mix for sure. 

In our area, I've known teens to work in fast food, at the grocery and Target, in ice cream and popcorn shops, and some stores at the mall. Also lifeguarding and working at a golf course.

DD17 works at Chick-fil-A. I had her apply by the beginning of last May in order to get a jump on other high school kids and college kids who would come home for the summer but were still in school. She happened to be hired on the spot, but she had an "in" -- one of her school teachers worked there part time. She started as soon as school let out in mid-May.

I advised her to continue working during this school year, so that she would still have a job for the upcoming summer, instead of having to find a new position, so she works a shift on Saturdays. I remember the stress of looking for a new job each summer (because I didn't work during the school year), and I hope she can avoid that. I worry about summer employment for her in particular, because she needs several weeks off during the summer for volunteer commitments and family travel. It's hard to say, "I can start in May, but then I need three whole weeks off during the summer," but it's easier to arrange that if you are a known and committed year-round employee.

It may be early to apply now, unless he is willing to start before summer begins. Could he work a weekend shift during this semester, if he knows it will secure more hours for him during the summer? Some kids can work during the school week, and for others, it's not feasible.

Ds did carts at Walmart last summer. He found that lots of places would not even let you apply in their online system if you were not already 18 (he wasn’t at the beginning of his search).

fast food places only wanted year round helpers

in our rural area teens do camp counselors, ice cream shops, life guards, farm work, & some fast food in high school but lots of typical min wage jobs (mall, fast food, cashiers) go to adults here.

Edited by Hilltopmom

19 hours ago, Storygirl said:

In our area, I've known teens to work in fast food, at the grocery and Target, in ice cream and popcorn shops, and some stores at the mall. Also lifeguarding and working at a golf course.

DD17 works at Chick-fil-A. I had her apply by the beginning of last May in order to get a jump on other high school kids and college kids who would come home for the summer but were still in school. She happened to be hired on the spot, but she had an "in" -- one of her school teachers worked there part time. She started as soon as school let out in mid-May.

I advised her to continue working during this school year, so that she would still have a job for the upcoming summer, instead of having to find a new position, so she works a shift on Saturdays. I remember the stress of looking for a new job each summer (because I didn't work during the school year), and I hope she can avoid that. I worry about summer employment for her in particular, because she needs several weeks off during the summer for volunteer commitments and family travel. It's hard to say, "I can start in May, but then I need three whole weeks off during the summer," but it's easier to arrange that if you are a known and committed year-round employee.

It may be early to apply now, unless he is willing to start before summer begins. Could he work a weekend shift during this semester, if he knows it will secure more hours for him during the summer? Some kids can work during the school week, and for others, it's not feasible.

This is completely off topic, but one of the benefits Chick Fil A offers is college assistance. From what I understand, there are some hoops to jump through and a commitment to work X additional months after receiving the financial assistance. Chipotle offers this, too, after a year of employment and there are many Chipotles (and I assume Chick Fil A's) near universities where a student could continue to work. Chipotle pays up to about $5000 per year, broken down into 2 semesters, with a 6 month commitment after each disbursement.

1 hour ago, wilrunner said:

This is completely off topic, but one of the benefits Chick Fil A offers is college assistance. From what I understand, there are some hoops to jump through and a commitment to work X additional months after receiving the financial assistance. Chipotle offers this, too, after a year of employment and there are many Chipotles (and I assume Chick Fil A's) near universities where a student could continue to work. Chipotle pays up to about $5000 per year, broken down into 2 semesters, with a 6 month commitment after each disbursement.

Thanks! I've seen some photos on the wall of past scholarship recipients from the store she works at, but it's been awhile since someone received one. I've told her about it, and it would be nice if it works out for her. She seems to like working there, and I could see her sticking with it, though it would have to be for another two years (she is a junior).

Chick-fil-A's award is only $2,500, but every bit would help. (They also have a $25,000 award, but the employee has to have financial need).

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1