Menu

SAT Math - pretty bad situation - UPDATE #2

UPDATE #2

Starting in February: no algebra and no grammar at all. First non-official score in February 950. First official score in May was 1050. We have been working systematically on algebra 1 and geometry and sporatically on grammar since February. In the last 2 weeks we have made a full force effort. Non-official scores: 1180, 1220, and yesterday 1250. Tomorrow is her last practice test.  Hoping it will go up again as we have been picking off very specific issues this last 2 weeks. (ETA: 620 on the math! Making a super score of 1300!). Exam on Saturday.  I might just pull this off! 

UPDATE

Here is an update on where we are at.

On her first practice test in February she scored a 950, which was actually better than I expected.  At that point, she could do NONE of the non-calculator math section, so just guessed her way to a low score. She couldn't even do the first question. So we started with basic algebra, and then I started teaching her just give it a go techniques - graph to scale, use non-algebra techniques for algebra questions, guess and check, etc. We also went after grammar once I realized that she knew NO as in NO grammar. She could not edit anything except by ear. We worked for 9 weeks.

Believe it or not, last week she scored an 1130 on her practice test!  180 point increase!  She took her first SAT last Saturday, so crossing fingers for a decent score.

So now I am at the point of consolidating her algebra and grammar learning. She needs just more practice, as in 6 months more, of just SAT style questions.  Can you guys recommend both online and physical books that would help her get from about 1100 to 1300.  I've been reading through the thread, and there are a lot of recommendations.  Basically, we need *practice* not explanations, and we need it for scores in math 500-650, without any consideration of the harder stuff which she will definitely skip.  

Also, we need practice for the editing/grammar portion of verbal. just more and more practice. Once again, no explanations, just practice practice practice. 

Thanks!

---------------------

OP

I have just been asked to tutor a kid for the SAT math section.  She is going for a full sports scholarship.  She has a recruiter and has been told she needs to get over 1200 on the SAT. I have been asked to get her up to a 600 on the math section. I have been tutoring her in statistics for the past year, but in New Zealand kids are allowed to drop algebra and focus on qualitative statistics report writing in 10th grade.  I've gone through the SAT content this afternoon, and she knows NO algebra, let alone advanced math.  She knows about 1/3rd of the content on the data analysis and maybe 1/8th of the additional math. I figure this is about 10% of the content.  I have until November.  This scholarship would be worth about NZ$300,000!  Just a bit of pressure on ME.

What resources can I get that are SAT specific that are for kids who need to learn the basics?  This kid would not know how to do 2x+3=5x-2.    My first step is to have her take a practice exam so we can get a bench mark (and to cover my butt if I can't get her up to 600 by November).

Open to suggestions.

Ruth in NZ

---------------Copied from below------------

Gosh you guys are great!  To answer some of your questions:

Can she actually do this? I believe she can or I would not take her on. I have worked with her for a year, and know her skill.  It is not as if she is a low-end math student because she does not have algebra. The NZ system works differently.  Not only does it have integrated math, it also has a qualitative statistics course that runs up to a very high level by 12th grade, including report writing (data types include time series, continuous variables, and discrete variables), bootstrapping, trig, probability, and one quantitative stats unit.  However, she can still get good marks by avoiding all algebra in these units. I have taught her trig this year, and she was crazy fast. I tutor a lot of kids, and she was by far the fastest I have every taught. (However, she did memorize the algebraic manipulations.). I believe if I had gotten her a year earlier, I could have remediated her algebra and she would now be in the calculus stream rather than the stats stream. She has also dropped down to just 4 classes for 12th grade with the approval of the recruiter, so has 2 hours each day at school when she can study.  Basically, I think this is possible.

Minimum standards for NZ universities: Yes there are minimum standards - 10th grade math must be passed.  But given that it is an integrated math class, you can pass geometry, numeracy, trig, and stats, and fail algebra and get a pass overall, which is what it looks like she did.  Then she moved into statistics for 11th and 12th grade. 

Resources I need: So I think that the print books will be a better choice especially in the beginning. Given my time constraint, I need to be very efficient as to what we go over.  So I can't just do all of algebra.  Is there a *very* detailed list somewhere? And which SAT prep book is for getting a student up to 600, rather than working on the hard stuff to get higher than that?

What I think we can get through: So the break downs are stats 29%, algebra 33%, additional topics 10%, and advanced 28%. She needs 67% correct to get a 600. (obviously this is all squashy). So our focus:

All of statistics

All of algebra

3/4th of the additional topics (I saw some complex number stuff in there that we will need to skip),

and about 1/4 of advanced math (I think she can do: expanding cubics, exponential functions, radicals, graphs domain/range etc, function notation)

This gets her up to more than 67% of the content. Then she just needs to get them right!

Thoughts?

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

KhanAcademy has an official tie in with the College Board, for the PSAT/NMSQT and the SAT. My DD used that to study for those exams. It is free...

However, the student you are helping may not be ready for that. I don't know if Khan teaches basic arithmetic, Pre Algebra, etc.  If not, I am sure that other web sites can do that.

Algebra 1 is THE most important course and all students must be SOLID in that.

She has quite a lot of work to do before next November. From Basic arithmetic to Algebra and Geometry. I don't remember what Math the SAT covers.

NOTE: She may also want to take the ACT. Many students do better on the SAT than on the ACT or v.v.   They are very different examinations.

Good luck to her!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

KhanAcademy has an official tie in with the College Board, for the PSAT/NMSQT and the SAT. My DD used that to study for those exams. It is free...

However, the student you are helping may not be ready for that. I don't know if Khan teaches basic arithmetic, Pre Algebra, etc.  If not, I am sure that other web sites can do that.

here's the link to that part of khan site if it helps the student before doing the SAT math prep https://www.khanacademy.org/math

• Like 2

I'd teach equation solving with Hands On Equations. Since you are in NZ, I'd make my own manipulatives set  (see the website for their kit for ideas) and just do the digital download of the verbal problem book(s). HOE is designed to be understandable to much younger kids so I think it would help introduce equation solving. Then, I'd show linear equation setup with various types of data sets, graphing, & finally focus on prepping through Khan

If the student needs print materials, I've seen PWN the SAT (Math) recommended a lot. 

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to take that tutoring job & make it clear you can't guarantee that kind of progress considering where the student is starting.

• Like 6

Wow, it surely seems like she needs a full on algebra program. WIthout it, how will she ever be able to keep her scholarship and complete degree requirements since I imagine she will need to take some math in college unless I'm totally off the mark here. Even with a sports scholarship, you have to maintain a minimum GPA and meet minimum college requirements. Do colleges in NZ also have minimum math proficiency exams as well like in the US? I know that the proficiency level of students is abysmal in the US. I recently read that up to 60% of college students require remedial math or English courses which means they are having to take non-credit courses to learn what should have been masted in high school.

• Like 4

My first thought was a set amount of time on Alcumus at the AOPS website each day with an account you can monitor.  That way you could maybe find all the weak points quickly before you move on.  Obviously you have a lot of ground to cover but I think that might help the foundation a bit.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to take that tutoring job & make it clear you can't guarantee that kind of progress considering where the student is starting.

That hits the nail on the head.   The OP has been asked to do what may be impossible, in the time that she and the student have available before the SAT exam must be taken. 

ETA: Sad for the student that she got into this situation and may not be able to meet the required test minimums on the SAT or ACT.

Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

My first thought was a set amount of time on Alcumus at the AOPS website each day with an account you can monitor.  That way you could maybe find all the weak points quickly before you move on.  Obviously you have a lot of ground to cover but I think that might help the foundation a bit.

No way. Alcumus is targeted for high performing kids, and is certainly not a remedial anything. I am always shocked AoPS being recommended as an answer to everything on this boards.

I would get MUS algebra and geometry or another algebra program that is on a lighter side and then couple it up with Panda SAT math prep. Add in a light trig. Really, really basic intro of trig. 

• Like 16

I think you could easily cover MUS alg and geo and part of alg 2 between now and Nov. my 7th grader, who is a very avg student (definitely not above avg in anything), will finish MUS alg and geo by the end of the school yr. 

Whether that us enough to get a 600 on the math is a different question. My kids have never taken those test without other math courses.

• Like 5

Gosh you guys are great!  To answer some of your questions:

Can she actually do this? I believe she can or I would not take her on. I have worked with her for a year, and know her skill.  It is not as if she is a low-end math student because she does not have algebra. The NZ system works differently.  Not only does it have integrated math, it also has a qualitative statistics course that runs up to a very high level by 12th grade, including report writing (data types include time series, continuous variables, and discrete variables), bootstrapping, trig, probability, and one quantitative stats unit.  However, she can still get good marks by avoiding all algebra in these units. I have taught her trig this year, and she was crazy fast. I tutor a lot of kids, and she was by far the fastest I have every taught. (However, she did memorize the algebraic manipulations.). I believe if I had gotten her a year earlier, I could have remediated her algebra and she would now be in the calculus stream rather than the stats stream. She has also dropped down to just 4 classes for 12th grade with the approval of the recruiter, so has 2 hours each day at school when she can study.  Basically, I think this is possible.

Minimum standards for NZ universities: Yes there are minimum standards - 10th grade math must be passed.  But given that it is an integrated math class, you can pass geometry, numeracy, trig, and stats, and fail algebra and get a pass overall, which is what it looks like she did.  Then she moved into statistics for 11th and 12th grade. 

Resources I need: So I think that the print books will be a better choice especially in the beginning. Given my time constraint, I need to be very efficient as to what we go over.  So I can't just do all of algebra.  Is there a *very* detailed list somewhere? And which SAT prep book is for getting a student up to 600, rather than working on the hard stuff to get higher than that?

What I think we can get through: So the break downs are stats 29%, algebra 33%, additional topics 10%, and advanced 28%. She needs 67% correct to get a 600. (obviously this is all squashy). So our focus:

All of statistics

All of algebra

3/4th of the additional topics (I saw some complex number stuff in there that we will need to skip),

and about 1/4 of advanced math (I think she can do: expanding cubics, exponential functions, radicals, graphs domain/range etc, function notation)

This gets her up to more than 67% of the content. Then she just needs to get them right!

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

ETA: Sad for the student that she got into this situation and may not be able to meet the required test minimums on the SAT or ACT.

For a 1200 SAT composite score, if the student is strong in language arts, that would already boost the composite up by quite a good deal. The deal didn’t say LA and Math scores has to be above 600 each.

2 minutes ago, lewelma said:

And which SAT prep book is for getting a student up to 600, rather than working on the hard stuff to get higher than that?

Kaplan https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1506228739/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For a 1200 SAT composite score, if the student is strong in language arts, that would already boost the composite up by quite a good deal. The deal didn’t say LA and Math scores has to be above 600 each.

Yes, I'm hopeful that this is true.  She could do like a 500 math and 700 reading, and that would be a much easier number to hit in math. 

• Like 1

Yes, Khan is a go. But setting up an account and figuring it all out is going to take time.  I need to see how much this parent is going to pay me!  So far she has agreed to 2 hours per week for tutoring plus 1/2 prep. But there is going to be so much prep as I haven't done this before.  Luckily, it will serve me double duty if my younger decides to go to an American university as he will need to do major prep on the SAT because he is just not fast, so we will need to be very strategic.  

As you can imagine, I did not need to help my older prep for the math section of the SAT.  haha.  Only the critical reading. I know how to do that one. DS raised his CR score 100 points in 4 weeks.

• Like 5

I would also test her silent reading speed and her speed of reading nonsense words.  If it is less than 300 WPM silent and less than 100 WPM nonsense words, working through my syllables program and nonsense words and drill with letter sounds and letter teams should improve her reading speed, which will improve both sections if she currently cannot finish, or reading faster than 300 WPM allows you to read the questions first, then the passages.

You might also want to assess how many questions are very basic pythagorean theory and simple sin, cos, tan; that can be taught quickly.  

Tests at end of my syllables page, she could watch the lessons on her own. http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html My average student gains 37% reading speed, that includes siblings that read pretty well but do not have phonics fully automated at the syllable level.

• Like 2

Skill Frequency # of Q's
Solving single variable equations 12.50% 7
Define and interpret linear function 11.21% 7
Ratios and proportions 10.78% 6
Solving systems of linear equations 7.76% 5
Manipulating polynomials 7.33% 4
Scatterplots and Graphs 6.47% 4
Solving quadratic equations 5.60% 3
Coordinate geometry of nonlinear functions 4.74% 3
Exponential functions 4.74% 3
TOTAL 71.13% 42

These are apparently the best skills to go after, as they are worth the most.  

• Like 1

I would have no idea how to prepare someone for that, but for evidence on what needs to be studied my son took Alg 1 in 8th and then geo in 10th and Alg 2 in 10th.  Only one month in to Alg 2 he took the SAT and did score above what your student is aiming for.  He did not prep beyond what he learned in his class.  It seems like Alg 1 info is most important and deciphering SAT BS.

• Like 3

I will find out tomorrow if she can grasp algebra quickly or not.  I am hopeful that she will be fast given what I saw the trig.  If it goes badly, I'll get the HoE. 

She is just in a really weird position trying to adapt to a foreign system.  She is not behind in math here.  NZ just has a different system.

• Like 6

I like some of the plans and articles on Prep Scholar. 

Math prep, long list: https://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-math-prep-guide-strategies-tips-practice

How to create an SAT study plan based on how many points you need to gain: https://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-math-prep-guide-strategies-tips-practice

Is aleks.com available there? It's $20/month here in the states, and it gives a thorough assessment that pinpoints what skills you have mastered, what skills you are learning, and what skills you don't know. Every day you can pick from a list of topics it deems you ready to learn or practice. The assessment alone might be very valuable; I think it pins things down quicker than even a very experienced tutor. They have a specific Mastery of SAT Math course and she could work on that independently each day. That leaves tutoring time for topics she needs additional help on and for making and revising plans. She may need to figure out is she works best in longer sessions or shorter sessions 6 or 7 days a week, that type of thing. I'd definitely be planning lots of practice tests, ime that has a big impact. 

Does it have to be SAT or can she figure out if SAT or ACT is better for her? https://blog.prepscholar.com/act-vs-sat

With that kind of scholarship on the line, I (as the parent) would certainly consider it even if it was a bit of a long shot. The biggest hurdle will be if she has math anxiety or aversion. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lewelma said:

I will find out tomorrow if she can grasp algebra quickly or not.  I am hopeful that she will be fast given what I saw the trig.  If it goes badly, I'll get the HoE. 

She is just in a really weird position trying to adapt to a foreign system.  She is not behind in math here.  NZ just has a different system.

I would think that a good math student that age who has not been exposed to algebra should be able to pick up enough to do well on the SAT fairly quickly, especially when well explained, which I'm confident lewelma can accomplish!  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lewelma said:

I've been reading through prepscholar.  Will go look at aleks - that sounds good.  I asked the mom about the ACT, and she said the recruiter said it had to be the SAT.

When you look at the stats for that school, on CollegeData, or some other web site, what do they show are the Average scores for Freshman, on the SAT Math and on the SAT Critical Reading examinations?   Is that school going to look at the 2 scores separately or combined?  If they look at them separately, that will be harder for her.

• Like 1

lewelma   I have not read all of the replies and I need to leave in a few minutes, so I cannot read them at this time. In one of your posts, you mentioned (I believe) that the mother of this student was contemplating having you Tutor her DD for 2 hours a week and then paying you for maybe one hour of preparation?  If that is correct, I think that is not going to be sufficient and that it will take many more hours of your time and especially of the students time, working on her own. Something like "Total Immersion" for learning a Foreign Language.

I believe, but I am not positive about this since I have not used Khan Academy (my DD used it),  is that it tracks the students weaknesses and strengths and directs them to the material that will help them the most. So, she needs to set up an account on CollegeBoard.org if she doesn't already have one, that will work in tandem with her account on KhanAcademy.

IMO the best use of your time that the Mother is paying you for will be assessment and guidance for the student. Constant evaluations of where she is weak and what she needs to study. 

What the Mother is looking for will take many more than 3 hours a week of your time, IMO.

It is unusual that the school will not accept the ACT, so you are locked into the SAT and fortunately, KhanAcademy is there to help this girl with the SAT.  Good luck to her!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lewelma said:

And which SAT prep book is for getting a student up to 600, rather than working on the hard stuff to get higher than that?

This will help a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/New-Math-SAT-Game-Plan/dp/1530012287/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547469138&sr=8-3&keywords=philip+keller's+the+new+math+sat+game+plan

• Like 1

SAT prep books will be of little use if this student does not understand basic Algebra.

Is this student being recruited for a US school?  If so she will need algebra in order to pass her college level math classes...

I suggest tutoring her through a solid algebra 1 course and tossing in some basic Geometry if she is deficient in that area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Did anyone recommend Dragon Box? Not as the main teaching resource, but it's great for instilling fluency and can be done during car rides and such when the student wouldn't normally be able to study.

Oooo! Another good call! Dragon Box is an app for a smart phone. It plays like a game, but it's algebra. It sounds odd, but it's fun, engaging, and EFFECTIVE. This is another tool that Jo uses for math tutoring (She's also had her younger reading tutees play it, just to throw in some stealth mathematical thinking! 😋)

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 1

I don’t know what it takes to be successful on the SAT math section, but I guess the one question I would have that I haven’t seen asked is: how many hours a day can this kid do math? I’m being extreme now but if she had every waking hour to dedicate to math I suppose she could ace the test even. That’s kind of the thing we don’t talk that much about. How many hours on task it takes to be good at anything. If she had unlimited time you could set her on those topics you posted above on khan or Aleks.

• Like 3

How many different practice exams can you get your hands on? 

I'd be inclined to have her take a practice test at the end of every month to:

a) track her progress

b) help guide if her study plan needs altering, fast-tracking, more emphasis on certain topics etc

c) help her/you/her mum know if the goal is realistic 

d) provide evidence of the impact of your tutoring, even if the final SAT score isn't achieved

I wish you all the very best. It will be immensely satisfying to get her to that finish line. Good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madteaparty said:

I don’t know what it takes to be successful on the SAT math section, but I guess the one question I would have that I haven’t seen asked is: how many hours a day can this kid do math? I’m being extreme now but if she had every waking hour to dedicate to math I suppose she could ace the test even. That’s kind of the thing we don’t talk that much about. How many hours on task it takes to be good at anything. If she had unlimited time you could set her on those topics you posted above on khan or Aleks.

I agree.  A good student could probably complete an entire week of MUS in 2 hr tutoring session without any outside time requirement.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for all the comments.  

First up, today all the national exam marks came out, and this kid got an Excellence on the probability exam.  Only 12% of students gain excellence.  So she has the math brain required to do this. So yea!

Next, I've gone through the suggested study plans on prepscholar, and for a 300 point increase she needs 150 hours.  This is about what I expected.  Because she has dropped down to 4 classes, she has 2 study halls each day.  I will suggest that she uses 6 of the 10 of them for algebra and SAT math drill - I think 6 hours a week independently and 2 hours with me to track and explain may be reasonable. She can use the other 4 for Critical reading. She will take the SAT in June and November.

First 5 months: So the best plan I think is to run two separate courses.

1) Algebra - I can use a standard NZ workbook that is super efficient and work her through the basics. - this will just be math, not SAT related. I have seen her learn Trig, she can definitely do a 9th grade Algebra course at age 17 in 3 months. At month 4, we will start in the SAT style questions for Heart of Algebra (or whatever they call it)

2) She will start doing SAT prep work on the data analysis section as she has been doing a stats class for 2 years and has some knowledge of this. I also think she can do some of the Additional Topics section as she has done some geometry/trig  in the past and will just need to review it. She will need to be independent on her study with this, as I need to focus on the algebra. But I will give her guidance as to how to proceed each week.

I'm hoping she can make 1000 by June.

Second 5 months: Continue with 2 classes

1) Advanced Algebra - once again using a standard no-nonsense NZ workbook. This will be obviously harder, and slower moving.  And I will pick and choose what will be the most effective from the point of view of points.

2) More SAT prep to build speed and deal with tricky style problems.  

She also has to prep for the Critical Reading section, so I'm going to have to help her lay out a study plan. I have no idea of her english skills.

Thoughts?

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

Is she going to put time in covering topics outside of your 2 hrs of tutoring a week? I cannot fathom covering all of alg 1 in 24-28 hrs total commitment. I think that us an unrealistic goal. I can only see 3 months working if she is working on concepts independently to solidify them and progress somewhat on her own.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Is she going to put time in covering topics outside of your 2 hrs of tutoring a week? I cannot fathom covering all of alg 1 in 24-28 hrs total commitment. I think that us an unrealistic goal. I can only see 3 months working if she is working on concepts independently to solidify them and progress somewhat on her own.

My thought was meeting two times a week for an hour each. and having her work independently for 2 hours outside of class for each hour with me - so 6 hours per week on algebra 1 for three months. 

Weekly plan for first 3 months

2 hours with me

4 hours of algebra on own

4 hours of critical reading on own

2 hours of SAT prep on Data Analysis section on own

She has 10 hours of study halls each week, so all of this can be done during school time.

Basically she is taking 5 high school classes (4 for school + algebra), and then will also do SAT prep. 

Edited by lewelma

You don't think she can raise her math score by 200 points in 10 months? Given that it is not an issue of being a slow learner, it is an issue of having studied a foreign curriculum.

My older boy raised his score by 100 points just on CR in less than 4 weeks. Basically about 30 hours.

I really need to know, as I've never done this before. 10 months seems a long time to me, and she has dropped a class to make room to learn algebra. She is very quick learner in math.

Edited by lewelma

6 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

You say it can all be done in school, but was she using study hall for homework? 12 hrs/week on test prep is a huge time commitment. I would think it pretty unrealistic for 10 months. 

We are at the beginning of the year here in the southern hemisphere. In NZ a full load is 6 classes junior year and 5 classes senior year. But you only need credits from 4 to get university entrance here, which is why she could drop a class. So she has never had a study hall before. 

As for time commitment, I would have to convince her that 6 hours was for a 5th class - algebra, and this was not study prep.  So one study hall would be for algebra, and the other study hall would be for test prep. 

This is her only shot at getting a soccer scholarship and going to the USA. If she does not do this, she will not play soccer and will not go to the USA. I will see her tomorrow as judge her commitment. 

Edited by lewelma

32 minutes ago, lewelma said:

You don't think she can raise her math score by 200 points in 10 months? Given that it is not an issue of being a slow learner, it is an issue of having studied a foreign curriculum.

My older boy raised his score by 100 points just on CR in less than 4 weeks. Basically about 30 hours.

I really need to know, as I've never done this before. 10 months seems a long time to me, and she has dropped a class to make room to learn algebra. She is very quick learner in math.

I don’t know. Maybe she can. While I don’t think the material on the math section is difficult at all, I know plenty of kids who don’t find it as easy. And sometimes kids need time to soak up and then “marinate” the knowledge in their heads. They know the concepts, but the lack of experience causes mistakes. It’s hard to really predict this sort of thing since it’s so individual. I just think a 100 or 130 points increase in 10 months is an easier task to achieve as opposed to 200+. 

I would love to hear your strategies on the English section. Generally though English is a different sort of beast from math. 

I have no experience in prepping for math section since my kids dont need it. My older child tutored a PS kid who has had algebra 1, 2, and precalculus behind his belt and was still scoring in low 500s. After about 7-8 months of working with him, he managed to pull it up by 100 points and then the progress stopped. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

The key on English is to think like a lawyer.  Once we realized that there was *objectively* only one right answer, and that the *evidence* was in the text, his mark went from 680 to 780. We took the approach that the only questions worth studying were from previous *actual* exams because they were carefully vetted by the college board, and we wanted to think like the college board.  We spent lots of time working to figure out *exactly* what he should have seen on EVERY question he missed or was uncertain of (he marked those as he took the test in case he got them right by chance). Every question, carefully studied on 8 tests if I remember correctly. He took the SAT only once.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I don’t know. Maybe she can. While I don’t think the material on the math section is difficult at all, I know plenty of kids who don’t find it as easy. And sometimes kids need time to soak up and then “marinate” the knowledge in their heads. They know he concepts, but the lack of experience causes mistakes. It’s hard to really predict this sort of thing since it’s so individual. I just think a 100 or 130 points increase in 10 months is an easier task to achieve as opposed to 200+. 

Thanks for that assessment. This kid may need to read this thread to know what she is up against! She is going to have to really really want this!

The first thing I'm going to have her do is take a full 4 hour practice exam. We need a splash of reality over here! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lewelma said:

The first thing I'm going to have her do is take a full 4 hour practice exam. We need a splash of reality over here! 

Each SAT test date has a different predetermined grading/scoring curve. She might get an easy one, a hard one or even a recycled one. My younger kid improved by 250 points from the 12## to 15## (both in 6th grade). I would say he was lucky twice.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

8, I'm assuming the recruiter knows about all this. NZ students seems to get full rides to USA schools quite often, just from my first hand knowledge. And in some pretty weird sports and at obscure schools.  I don't know diddly about any of this, but can bring it up with the mom.  She is paying an agency to handle this aspect of the process. 

• Like 1