Menu

I am going to need a whole wardrobe.....GRRRR

DawnM

3 hours ago, chiguirre said:

I'd try ebay and Craig's List. You might get lucky. Also I'd try posting on Facebook and any local boards to see if someone local can lend you a coat. 

(I totally feel your pain. Dh has to go to a 2 day team building event at a NH ski resort. He had to buy ski pants and a parka, long johns and water proof gloves which he will use for less than 48 hours and then will sit in our closet for the next 5-10 years until he has to go to some other outdoor winter thing in snow country. The most annoying thing is that he does have a winter coat and a puffer jacket that folds up but neither of those will work for skiing and snow shoeing.)

The prob with ebay and CL is that I really need to be able to try it on or the ability to return it.  I am not going to go to someone's house, try something on, and ask to see their full length mirror first, etc....or run all over and see what might be at their house.  I just don't have time.  

A friend did offer to lend me her jacket, but she is smaller and the jacket is a L but runs like a M she said.  It wont' fit.  And it isn't that heavy of a jacket, more like mid-weight.  Most people around here don't have heavier winter coats.  

But if something jumps out, I will do it.

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

The prob with ebay and CL is that I really need to be able to try it on or the ability to return it.  I am not going to go to someone's house, try something on, and ask to see their full length mirror first, etc....or run all over and see what might be at their house.  I just don't have time.  

A friend did offer to lend me her jacket, but she is smaller and the jacket is a L but runs like a M she said.  It wont' fit.  And it isn't that heavy of a jacket, more like mid-weight.  Most people around here don't have heavier winter coats.  

But if something jumps out, I will do it.

Does it really need to fit well? Obviously too small doesn't work but is too big a problem? When I lived in Venezuela, I lent out an old overcoat that I had from my Boston days. It was an XL but many of my petite friends lugged that thing with them to the US or Europe. It wasn't pretty but it was warm (and there is literally no store that sells winter gear in Caracas, you have to take a cab to a store as a first stop from the airport and buy something immediately).

If you find a men's winter jacket, it will be big enough in the body and you can roll or push up the sleeves.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Does it really need to fit well? Obviously too small doesn't work but is too big a problem? When I lived in Venezuela, I lent out an old overcoat that I had from my Boston days. It was an XL but many of my petite friends lugged that thing with them to the US or Europe. It wasn't pretty but it was warm (and there is literally no store that sells winter gear in Caracas, you have to take a cab to a store as a first stop from the airport and buy something immediately).

If you find a men's winter jacket, it will be big enough in the body and you can roll or push up the sleeves.

It needs to not be huge and even though I am overweight, my shoulders are narrow.....so those bulky jackets with large shoulders seriously make me look like a linebacker.  There will be full length pictures of me posted to the website, with those itty bitty skinny students.....I am sick just thinking about it.  I really wish I weren't going.

5 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Maybe buy a jacket you like well enough, that will be large enough, but leave the tags on in case it warms up and you don’t need it. Seriously, it could be 2 degrees or 65 degrees. There’s no predicting. 

Just stand behind the short students. 😬

I WISH!  You should hear them, "Come on Mrs. M, get up front!"  over and over again.....from adults and students.  I mean, they really like me, and I am thankful, but I seriously hate getting my picture taken.  

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

It is the last week of Feb.  Do you think it will still be shut down then?  

I'm another DC native who thinks there's a good chance it will still be shut down, probably 50/50?

I agree that are unlikely to need an entirely new different wardrobe, unless you live in Fiji or something.  Are you planning outside destinations or simply walking from building to building, or building to bus?  I've lived here almost my whole life, most of it in a job that has me going outside for recess movie, and I don't even own jeans, much less boots.   I'd get a long coat (either a down one, or a lighter one you can layer over a fleece and a long sleeved shirt), a pair of gloves and a hat.  Maybe scotch guard your sneakers and/or bring an extra pair, or go old school and bring some bread bags to put between two pair of socks if it's really bad.  If you have pj pants or leggings, wear them under another pair of lightweight, although I rarely do that.  

If you're planning on going skiing, or hiking, or to explore someplace outdoors, that might change my answer.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daria said:

I'm another DC native who thinks there's a good chance it will still be shut down, probably 50/50?

I agree that are unlikely to need an entirely new different wardrobe, unless you live in Fiji or something.  Are you planning outside destinations or simply walking from building to building, or building to bus?  I've lived here almost my whole life, most of it in a job that has me going outside for recess movie, and I don't even own jeans, much less boots.   I'd get a long coat (either a down one, or a lighter one you can layer over a fleece and a long sleeved shirt), a pair of gloves and a hat.  Maybe scotch guard your sneakers and/or bring an extra pair, or go old school and bring some bread bags to put between two pair of socks if it's really bad.  If you have pj pants or leggings, wear them under another pair of lightweight, although I rarely do that.  

If you're planning on going skiing, or hiking, or to explore someplace outdoors, that might change my answer.  

I honestly do not even know what the itinerary is.  They told me today the only thing we can't do if there is a shutdown is the Smithsonian, and we will replace it with Mr. Vernon if so, so I assume we will still go.  My guess is we will go to Arlington (all outdoors), and then a lot of walking outdoors, but I need to find out.

The last time I was in DC on an actual trip, it was May, and it poured torrential rains the entire time, and it was COLD.  I want to say it was May of 2010, but it may have been 2011.  My son turns 21 next month and he was a new boy scout, age 11.5, so maybe it was 2011.  

Anyway, it was a camping trip, the tics were out in full force and every tent was soaked.  We ended up wimping out and getting a hotel room.

If it really isn't working for your schedule to prepare and go and feels overwhelming, just tell the school your calendar changed and you can't do it.  I don't see why one particular parent is obligated to go on an an 8th grade trip.  They can recruit someone else.  Especially if you just got word of this a few days ago.  Selling a house is enough.   

Gently, you've been given many simple ways to make the clothes work.  Things don't need to be perfection or beautiful for a short trip in cooler weather.   It seems like there is more at play than that.  Just say no.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I honestly do not even know what the itinerary is.  They told me today the only thing we can't do if there is a shutdown is the Smithsonian, and we will replace it with Mr. Vernon if so, so I assume we will still go.  My guess is we will go to Arlington (all outdoors), and then a lot of walking outdoors, but I need to find out.

The last time I was in DC on an actual trip, it was May, and it poured torrential rains the entire time, and it was COLD.  I want to say it was May of 2010, but it may have been 2011.  My son turns 21 next month and he was a new boy scout, age 11.5, so maybe it was 2011.  

Anyway, it was a camping trip, the tics were out in full force and every tent was soaked.  We ended up wimping out and getting a hotel room.

Oh yeah, it’s going to rain. It rains every other day now. My layering system is cami, long sleeved shirt, sweater or hoodie, fleece, waterproof shell. (Plus scarf and gloves) This system gets me through most situations because I can mix and match a different way every day. Waterproof shoes are important so you aren’t walking around in soggy shoes for days on end. 

You can always remove your coat for photos or volunteer to take them.  Or do the hug-two-kids-while-sticking-your-head-between theirs-but-keeping-their-bodies-in-front-of-you-pose.

ETA: When you’re 80 and look at those photos you’ll be thinking about how young and beautiful you look and wondering why you worried!

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I WISH!  You should hear them, "Come on Mrs. M, get up front!"  over and over again.....from adults and students.  I mean, they really like me, and I am thankful, but I seriously hate getting my picture taken.  

I feel the same about getting my picture taken.  Maybe you can be the photographer so you aren’t in the pictures.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DawnM said:

People say that to me too.  I just say "sorry, I don't do pictures", and shrug and walk away.  

I read the OP as you being the teacher, and thus unable to get out of this.  Are you a parent?  Is there a reason you can't say no to the whole trip?

1 hour ago, Daria said:

People say that to me too.  I just say "sorry, I don't do pictures", and shrug and walk away.  

I read the OP as you being the teacher, and thus unable to get out of this.  Are you a parent?  Is there a reason you can't say no to the whole trip?

I am a school counselor.  I have to go.  I wasn't going to, but our AP is quitting before the trip and isn't going, so now, I am stuck.

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Oh yeah, it’s going to rain. It rains every other day now. My layering system is cami, long sleeved shirt, sweater or hoodie, fleece, waterproof shell. (Plus scarf and gloves) This system gets me through most situations because I can mix and match a different way every day. Waterproof shoes are important so you aren’t walking around in soggy shoes for days on end. 

You can always remove your coat for photos or volunteer to take them.  Or do the hug-two-kids-while-sticking-your-head-between theirs-but-keeping-their-bodies-in-front-of-you-pose.

ETA: When you’re 80 and look at those photos you’ll be thinking about how young and beautiful you look and wondering why you worried!

Yeah, no, I have to be in the pictures.  And I can't stick my head in between.  They are taller than I am and they are 14 year olds, so I would literally be making a big scene to tell them where to stand to hide my body.  It gets awkward.  Always.  I hate it.  But it is ALWAYS a big deal.  

2 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

If it really isn't working for your schedule to prepare and go and feels overwhelming, just tell the school your calendar changed and you can't do it.  I don't see why one particular parent is obligated to go on an an 8th grade trip.  They can recruit someone else.  Especially if you just got word of this a few days ago.  Selling a house is enough.   

Gently, you've been given many simple ways to make the clothes work.  Things don't need to be perfection or beautiful for a short trip in cooler weather.   It seems like there is more at play than that.  Just say no.

I am not a parent, I am the school counselor.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Yeah, no, I have to be in the pictures.  And I can't stick my head in between.  They are taller than I am and they are 14 year olds, so I would literally be making a big scene to tell them where to stand to hide my body.  It gets awkward.  Always.  I hate it.  But it is ALWAYS a big deal.  

I have admired many teachers over the years who seemed to me to have a great grin and bear it attitude about the inevitable kijillion photos. Now you're making me think maybe they were actually hiding their loathing really, really well!

4 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

I have admired many teachers over the years who seemed to me to have a great grin and bear it attitude about the inevitable kijillion photos. Now you're making me think maybe they were actually hiding their loathing really, really well!

I didn't mind it so much when I didn't hate my body so much.

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

I am a school counselor.  I have to go.  I wasn't going to, but our AP is quitting before the trip and isn't going, so now, I am stuck.

Oh yeah, then you are stuck.  I totally get that.  

I'd get the itinerary before I decided on clothes.  I also agree that you should keep the tags on, because the weather could go every which way at that time.

• Like 1

How tall are you? I'm just about, almost, 5'2" when I stand super tall and straight, and Cuddl Duds long underwear fit me fine. You can get them at Kohl's for a great price. They also make these neat long underwear tunic tops that are snuggly, warm, and figure flattering. Pair those with a pair of the best jeans in the world from Lands End and it's a good start. Everything at Lands End is 40% off right now, which means you can get a great price on the Squall Jacket. It's warm and will protect against rain and snow. 

Don't worry about looking frumpy, everyone else will as well because when you're bundling up in multiple layers to stay warm, everyone looks like a potato. Also, everyone else will be too cold to look at anyone else and will be looking down, cursing the weather instead. 😁

• Like 4

I am being silly, but here you are. Now nobody will see your face in the photo!

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Fleece-Balaclava-Snowboard-Protector/dp/B01NBA4GQZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547529143&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=balaclava+women&psc=1

Or you could get one that makes you look like a snarling predator?

Sorry. I hate pictures too! My dh has to go to Wisconsin next week -- we live in CA. I just got him snap-on ice cleats for his shoes. For his birthday he got a long Squall coat from Land's End and some lined waterproof gloves. Oh, and wool socks. I love the hand/foot warmer suggestions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Bright coloured scarf, draw attention to your face? It's been working a bit for me, lol. Just photos... ugh.

I look HORRIBLE in scarves.  They cut me off and make me look about 4'0.  I have friends who wear them all the time, and they look so nice.  When I wear them I get the, "Yeah, scarves aren't your thing" comments (only from close friends, but I trust that they are correct.).   See, I am just a mess!

6 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

I am being silly, but here you are. Now nobody will see your face in the photo!

https://www.amazon.com/Womens-Fleece-Balaclava-Snowboard-Protector/dp/B01NBA4GQZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547529143&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=balaclava+women&psc=1

Or you could get one that makes you look like a snarling predator?

Sorry. I hate pictures too! My dh has to go to Wisconsin next week -- we live in CA. I just got him snap-on ice cleats for his shoes. For his birthday he got a long Squall coat from Land's End and some lined waterproof gloves. Oh, and wool socks. I love the hand/foot warmer suggestions.

Well, that isn't a bad thing to buy if it is going to be COLD!  Hmmm......

There is a saying in Manufacturing Engineering.   

"You can have it made Well, Fast or Cheaply.   Because I am an an awesome engineer, you can pick two.   But no one can deliver three."   

You seem to be asking for ideas to get all three.   Since we are talking about one coat and not an ongoing thing, you might get lucky, but you will need luck.  I think you need to focus on the two most important, which seems to be Fast and Cheap.     Plus, who will be looking at the photos?   The parents.    The kids may love you and the parents may love you.   But everyone except the child-family member will be a blur.   Smile big and all will be well.  

One idea since your shoulders are slim.    Look for something online that flares from the shoulders.  Like a cloak that is designed to go past the knees.   Then whatever you want underneath.   Your weight and the extra apparent weight added by layers will disappear. 

That reminds me.   Did you guys read the news article where the photographer finally confessed why that famous Bob Dylan album cover was blurry  They were both way under-dressed for the cold because of vanity, and the photographer was shivering when he took it.  

• Like 2