Menu

I am going to need a whole wardrobe.....GRRRR

DawnM

The 8th Grade Washington D.C. trip is typically at the end of April.  This year it is the end of February. I had said I wasn't going unless I had to, and they didn't say anything.  Well, Friday they said I have to go.

I do not have a winter coat anymore that fits me.  I do not have boots.  I only have 2 pr. of long pants that aren't capris or too lightweight.  

GRRRR!!!!!!

PS:  Since it has come up multiple times.....I work full time and am trying to get my house ready to sell and have been taking older boys back and forth to college (8 hours R/T).....I simply do not have time to go to multiple thrift stores, comb sales, etc....I actually enjoy doing those things, but not this time.  This really is more of a VENT than a "help me find something" and while I know you are all well meaning, I have repeated myself multiple times because so many are suggesting the same things, so I will put this is post number one so that you can see it:

• I am very short
  • I feel very fat right now
  • I look like a very fat linebacker in most winter coats, esp if they are oversized in the shoulders or have a hood that covers most of my neck
  • I will need to take multiple full length pictures next to skinny, taller students and they will be posted online.  I am SICK about it.
  • I didn't want to go on this trip.  I still don't want to go.  I don't sleep well on things like this, I don't like being away from family and sleeping in a hotel room with people I don't know well, etc....
  • And now I have aired everything and I am embarrassed about it, but I feel like I need it all out there because of all the suggestions and comments.  I am FAT.  I  hate it.  I have tried everything to try to lose weight.  Nothing is working.  Please don't offer suggestions on that right now.  I am not in the mood to answer 50 suggestions of getting my bloodwork done, going Keto,going low-carb, getting a fecal implant, etc....

Sorry, I am a little cranky and it has nothing to do with anything other than I don't want to go!

Edited by DawnM

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Get something you love! It’s not like you’re a kid and will grow out of it. You’ll never have this problem again. đŸ¤£

I hope I grow out of it.  I am too fat for my old stuff.  I am hoping to eventually get some weight off!

15 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Costco has some wonderful long underwear for under ten.  

And just think, every store is closing out winter gear so you can get it cheaper. 

you have seen how short I am!  Most of those are a full 12 inches too long on me.  But you know, now that you mention it, I may have long johns.....oh wait, I bet I just packed them up.  

Just now, DawnM said:

I hope I grow out of it.  I am too fat for my old stuff.  I am hoping to eventually get some weight off!

But it’s WINTER. Get a sleeping bag you can wear around. If you lose weight, it’s still awesome. Save fashion for the warm months. Everyone looks like a bear shuffling about in the winter. đŸ˜‚Â 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

But it’s WINTER. Get a sleeping bag you can wear around. If you lose weight, it’s still awesome. Save fashion for the warm months. Everyone looks like a bear shuffling about in the winter. đŸ˜‚Â 

A sleeping bag?  Um, no, not while chaperoning middle schoolers all over D.C.

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Get something you love! It’s not like you’re a kid and will grow out of it. You’ll never have this problem again. đŸ¤£

Oh how I wish that were true! I grow out of (and into and back out of again) clothes every year or two. It's maddening!

@DawnM if it makes you feel any better, dd and I visited my sister in DC a couple of years ago in April and it was freezing and snowed. We were woefully unprepared. Fortunately I was in one of my smaller states at the time, and dd had just grown into (small) adult sizes, so we were both able to borrow coats and such from my sister!

• Like 1

Try building a small capsule wardrobe off of ThreadUp. That should be fairly quick, cheap and easy and they are supposed to have a fairly good selection. 

My basic capsule wardrobe is black bottoms and shoes with a set of jewel color tops and then black, white and grey tops. You could use any base color that you like: brown, navy, grey, etc.

A couple pair of pants, a skirt, a few light tops that can be layered with sweaters, a pair of leggings to wear under pants, a skirt or even a tunic, a coat, some gloves and scarves should do the trick.

You can also find a lot of these basics at Target, Walmart, Kohl's, JC Penney's and even Goodwill. 

6 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

Try building a small capsule wardrobe off of ThreadUp. That should be fairly quick, cheap and easy and they are supposed to have a fairly good selection. 

My basic capsule wardrobe is black bottoms and shoes with a set of jewel color tops and then black, white and grey tops. You could use any base color that you like: brown, navy, grey, etc.

A couple pair of pants, a skirt, a few light tops that can be layered with sweaters, a pair of leggings to wear under pants, a skirt or even a tunic, a coat, some gloves and scarves should do the trick.

You can also find a lot of these basics at Target, Walmart, Kohl's, JC Penney's and even Goodwill. 

I don't have time for Goodwill or a lot of shopping in general.  Between working full time (plus extra as we have two weeks of standardized testing going on and we counselors have to stay late during those weeks) and getting a house ready to sell and it being on the market, and visiting 2 kids in college (Feb is oldest son's birthday, we have told him we will go down that weekend in Feb.). AND the fact that I am 4'11" and overweight and hard to fit.......yeah, this is going to be fun.

Thanks.  I have looked at Thread Up and no coats/jackets my size in what I need.  Pants I need to really try on.  Even Petites can be too long.  I think I am good with shirts and little lightweight jackets.  Boots I also really just need to try on.  I can't buy online until I know the brand, how they fit, comfort levels, etc.....and I guess I should get those NOW so I can break them in.

Edited by DawnM

6 hours ago, KathyBC said:

I would guess that the thrift stores near you may not be that helpful, but you never know... might get lucky.
Oh hey, what about a consignment sports store - ski wear?

Thanks.  It is a serious time constraint right now.  I don't get home until after 5pm on weekdays and I am currently spending weekends taking boys back to college, packing up the house, etc.....I think this time I need to just buy and spend the money.  I am also hard to fit, so it would most likely require running around town to several stores in hopes that I might find something.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DawnM said:

you have seen how short I am!  Most of those are a full 12 inches too long on me.  But you know, now that you mention it, I may have long johns.....oh wait, I bet I just packed them up.  

Cut the long underwear legs to fit.  Wear them tucked into your socks. 

Are your too lightweight pants loose enough to allow layering?  Pantyhose or tights would add a bit of warmth without adding bulk.  Leggings are bulkier, but would add more warmth.  Three layers - hose/tights, leggings, thin pants would be even warmer.    Depending on the style of boot you get, you may be able to use some of your capris.  

Also how long is this trip?  For a week, 2-3 pairs of pants should be plenty.  

3 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Cut the long underwear legs to fit.  Wear them tucked into your socks. 

Are your too lightweight pants loose enough to allow layering?  Pantyhose or tights would add a bit of warmth without adding bulk.  Leggings are bulkier, but would add more warmth.  Three layers - hose/tights, leggings, thin pants would be even warmer.    Depending on the style of boot you get, you may be able to use some of your capris.  

Also how long is this trip?  For a week, 2-3 pairs of pants should be plenty.  

I don't know,.  I am so dreading this trip.  I am already fat and short.  The last thing I need is more bulk and full length pictures of me with students where I am shorter than they are but twice the size.

I am dreading the entire thing.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Acorn said:

I usually need to hire a tailor to shorten pants. It definitely helps the shopping ordeal once you learn how alterations will fix the short girl issues.

I know what alterations are , and if I have time, I can even do my own......but finding things to fit overall is not easy.  

Edited by DawnM

14 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Lots of closeouts right now, so good timing. And the fact that you are an unusual size makes it more likely that they still have your size in stock. 

No, they mostly have S and XS still available.  I am neither.

I would not buy boots for this trip. Honestly, for all you know, a winter coat (layers and warm stuff, yes, but coat) won't be really necessary. February in DC is deeply unpredictable. You might have snow and frigid temperatures... or you might have an early spring. Who the heck knows. I'd wait on boots until you can look at a 10 day forecast and then maybe possibly consider getting them if it looks like snow is super likely. Otherwise, wear your sneakers and warm socks.

I would get a coat... but there is such a thing as just wearing everything at once. Dh and I took an autumn trip years ago that turned out much colder than anticipated. I remember just wearing everything I had brought at once and buying mittens and a hat. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I had a fine time.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Junie said:

A coat like this might work for you.  You can wear the lighterweight version when you're home.

Yeah, I guess.  I hate spending that much for a jacket I don't even really like.....but I might have to.  No reflection on your link, it just isn't me and will make me look boxy.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 1

I often just get winter coats at thrift stores. I always have a bit too large long wool coat.  It's nice to layer and comfortable for walking or driving.  And I don't hink I've ever spent more than $15 on one at thrift.   Sometimes I go to the men's section to get one - works fine.    Pair with a cute scarf, hat, mitts, no one is the wiser.   I'd just carry an umbrella unless you think you'll actually be spending significant time outdoors when it's actually raining (hiking, etc).  And even if it gets a little damp, it's fine.  

I often just wear athletic shoes with some smart wool socks for trips like this.  Warm enough but good for walking.  Since you're going to DC I assume the focus is the museums, etc and not the outdoors.  I wouldn't buy boots either.  They do a good job with sidewalks there and you aren't likely to be outdoors for hours and hours.

I'd just purchase stuff you can layer at home when it's cooler.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm sorry, it isn't helpful at all but I now have competing pictures in my head. One doing the potato sack race and one with the feet sticking out the bottom and swiveling the whole body around to see out one little eye hole in the zipper.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

but there is such a thing as just wearing everything at once. Dh and I took an autumn trip years ago that turned out much colder than anticipated. I remember just wearing everything I had brought at once and buying mittens and a hat. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I had a fine time.

I got by living in northern IL for several years with nothing more than a northern-fall-weight jacket (aka southern winter coat) - I just layered underneath, and layered scarves and such over top.  I even made it through the polar vortex super-winter with that jacket.  I did it because it took me years to be able to stomach the cost of a proper winter coat, even actually *living* in the north.  My first northern winter, I just bought a hat and mittens - wore my hiking boots as winter boots.  It was fine.  Of winter-y things I later added, wool socks and a scarf had a lot of bang for the buck.  (I enjoy my winter boots, and even wear them in the south now (since I have them), but I wouldn't buy them just for a week's trip.  I did also enjoy my winter coat once I finally got one, but there's no use for it in the south.) 

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I am worried about it getting wet.

When I went to DC for a school trip, in the Jan/Feb time-frame, they had us scotch guard everything - shoes, jeans, jackets, backpacks - for that very reason.  (I didn't even have hiking boots for that trip - just wore scotch-guarded sneakers.  It wasn't a problem.)

• Like 6

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

Thanks.  It is a serious time constraint right now.  I don't get home until after 5pm on weekdays and I am currently spending weekends taking boys back to college, packing up the house, etc.....I think this time I need to just buy and spend the money.  I am also hard to fit, so it would most likely require running around town to several stores in hopes that I might find something.

Yup, if you don't get lucky and/or don't have 2-3 hours to devote to the cause it can be overwhelming. Even rolling it into the house decluttering or college runs probably only works in theory.  I totally hear the time constraint.

I know this isn't helpful and it's somewhat off topic, but I am marvelling at the idea that people don't have appropriate clothing for what I would consider very mild weather. 

Before the shut down, we were considering going to DC for February ski vacation week, partially to be uncharacteristic and go somewhere warm for once. Of course we aren't going now (boo), but it would be a luxury for us to travel in February without "real" winter gear. That long pants and a fleece jacket are considered "winter" clothing to some is amazing to me. I love the diversity in this country! Lol

Good luck, OP. You certainly have a lot on your plate right now. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I know this isn't helpful and it's somewhat off topic, but I am marvelling at the idea that people don't have appropriate clothing for what I would consider very mild weather. 

Before the shut down, we were considering going to DC for February ski vacation week, partially to be uncharacteristic and go somewhere warm for once. Of course we aren't going now (boo), but it would be a luxury for us to travel in February without "real" winter gear. That long pants and a fleece jacket are considered "winter" clothing to some is amazing to me. I love the diversity in this country! Lol

I won't do well with just long pants and a fleece.  I need a coat, hat, gloves.....I am a wimp!  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I won't do well with just long pants and a fleece.  I need a coat, hat, gloves.....I am a wimp!  

Yeah, I get it. I'm definitely not making light of your situation. 

Recently there was a poster from the south who is planning a trip to my current state of Maine this month, and I suggested she wear all kinds of things that really no one here wears on a normal basis, because it's going to feel colder to her than to locals who are accustomed to the temperature. What we are used to makes *such* a difference.

When I moved to Ohio from my native California, I didn't own so much as a jacket heavier than a cardigan. I will never forget how frigid my first winter felt to me; I had to go to the thrift store and buy two wool coats that I wore layered and still I was always freezing. Eventually I acclimated, of course, but it took time. (Equally weird to me was learning to not carry a sweater with me when I went out at night in summer because no, the fog wasn't going to roll in and cool things off--it was going to remain sweltering all.night.long). 

Edited by MEmama

17 hours ago, KathyBC said:

I would guess that the thrift stores near you may not be that helpful, but you never know... might get lucky.
Oh hey, what about a consignment sports store - ski wear?

All of my family's winter coats, both ski jackets and long wool coats, have come from thrift or consignment. High quality under $25. It's worth a try to see what's available. 

• Like 2

The trip is at the end of February? The average low/highs there then are 33/50 so it might not be as bad as you think. Sure, there could be a cold snap or rainy weather could make it feel worse, but you might not need as much cold weather gear as you think.  Have you checked the itinerary to see how much you’ll actually be outside? Hopefully if you’re outside you’ll be moving and not standing still for too long.  Those little hand/foot warmers that work for a couple of hours might really come in handy. 

On the plus side, the kids won’t care how you’re dressed- 8th graders are more into themselves than their chaperones.  

I hope the trip is more fun than you anticipate!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

The trouble is that you need to own EVERYTHING to be covered here. D.C. weather today:

ACB80A82-F144-4640-B9F9-53A18B831CB7.jpeg

Another problem with this area is that it doesn’t STAY cold enough so that the snow behaves. It hovers at freeze/thaw so everything is icy or soggy depending upon the exact hour. If it was colder and the snow STAYED snowy, it would be so much easier to drive and shovel and know what to wear. I’m currently working a 5 layer system that I do not enjoy. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

Sport knit corduroy pants from Lands End might work - they're warm and 'easy fit'.  Or leggings and long skirts with boots, and if it's warmer than you expect, you could wear flats or ditch the leggings.  We went right after New Year's a few years ago, and one thing that I remember is that, while it was cold outside, once you got inside, you needed to carry your jacket.  I have a Lands End fleece parka, which was great because I could tie it around my waist when we were in the museums.  I did wear wool socks.  Make sure that you have 2 different pairs of shoes, and you know that one is comfortable.  On days that are mostly museums, comfort was more important that warmth.  

• Like 3

Can you get out of it? If you are moving that is a real reason. 

Do you have a long trenchcoat or raincoat? If so, pair that with layers underneath. Get a long sweater; those are in right now - just something you can take off easily so if you are in a museum, you can take it off. Wear a fleece as well since that helps trap body heat and again can be taken off easily. I hate having layers that I can't take off as the inside of buildings can be rather toasty. 

Grab some gloves, a scarf, and a hat. You can get hand warmers to slip inside them. I have even put them in my shoes. You can get away with some rainbows with great socks if needed. 

We were in DC in early March (10 years ago) it snowed at the start of our trip and was 65 degrees and sunny at the end of the week. 

I have a coat that is down that rolls up into a small bag to store. I personally wouldn't go with a long coat on a shorter person. I used to think I was 5'5 1/2", and somehow that shrank a bit. Anyways, my coat is just jacket length with the removable hood that I almost never use. I used it in Florida in January and would roll it up as the day warmed. It's warm enough for almost all of winter. I wore it today and we have 6" of snow, plenty warm. Only if it's like a blizzard (lots of wind) would I go with a thicker coat.  I think if you do the leggings and warmish clothes and have that coat, you'll be fine. It's nice because then when you get inside you can just roll it up and make it disappear.  I just use little knit fuzzy gloves from dollar tree because they will fit in pockets or in my purse and are cheap. 

Here, mine is not Eddie Bauer but this is the idea Eddie Bauer Women's CirrusLite Down Jacket - Blue - M$69.99Eddie Bauer(490)For most items:Lifetime return policy

Haha, I didn't know these were meant for kids! Well they work for me adequately, and I have pretty big hands.      Snugadoo Too Super Soft Kids' Gloves

On the boots, are you planning on skiing? You'll be in a city and they'll plow. Maybe buy something cute like leather boots that zip that are adequate for sliding off the snow but something you'd use where you live too. Or some water-repellant hiking boots? Something you'd use again. 

Edited by PeterPan

Wait, this trip is in February? Will they cancel it if the shutdown is still in effect? Because... from where I'm sitting, I think it will be. No Smithsonians. No Star Spangled Banner. No lunar module. No hope diamond. No White House tour (though those are harder to get these days anyway). No Bureau of Printing and Engraving. Since the legislative budget is set, I'm pretty sure you can still do the Capitol tour - I know the Botanic Gardens and the LOC are open. But mostly, either you'll just be walking around outside everything except, like, the Spy Museum, and you really will need the coat. Or this trip might not happen anyway.

Regardless, I propose Murphy's Law of Coats. If you buy the coat, it'll definitely be in the mid to upper 60's the last week of February, which is not unheard of. Based on that alone, I think you should get it if the trip is on.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Farrar said:

Wait, this trip is in February? Will they cancel it if the shutdown is still in effect? Because... from where I'm sitting, I think it will be. No Smithsonians. No Star Spangled Banner. No lunar module. No hope diamond. No White House tour (though those are harder to get these days anyway). No Bureau of Printing and Engraving. Since the legislative budget is set, I'm pretty sure you can still do the Capitol tour - I know the Botanic Gardens and the LOC are open. But mostly, either you'll just be walking around outside everything except, like, the Spy Museum, and you really will need the coat. Or this trip might not happen anyway.

Regardless, I propose Murphy's Law of Coats. If you buy the coat, it'll definitely be in the mid to upper 60's the last week of February, which is not unheard of. Based on that alone, I think you should get it if the trip is on.

It is the last week of Feb.  Do you think it will still be shut down then?  

6 hours ago, sassenach said:

The whole country is Konmariing right now so I’d hit up your local thrift stores. 

As mentioned, I will try, but I work until almost 5pm every day, and am trying to get my house ready to sell and packing up, and looking at houses to buy, etc.....this is just a busy, busy time and typically just popping in to one thrift store isn't helpful.  And there are none near me......so it is an issue of TIME. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

The trouble is that you need to own EVERYTHING to be covered here. D.C. weather today:

ACB80A82-F144-4640-B9F9-53A18B831CB7.jpeg

Another problem with this area is that it doesn’t STAY cold enough so that the snow behaves. It hovers at freeze/thaw so everything is icy or soggy depending upon the exact hour. If it was colder and the snow STAYED snowy, it would be so much easier to drive and shovel and know what to wear. I’m currently working a 5 layer system that I do not enjoy. 

It makes me so nervous to even think of our NC busses trying to drive in any of what you just mentioned!  They have no idea how to!

23 minutes ago, DawnM said:

It is the last week of Feb.  Do you think it will still be shut down then?  

Who knows. It doesn’t look like it’ll be resolved anytime soon, unfortunately. But there could also be a deal out of nowhere.

Maybe the tour companies that run these things have alternate agendas in mind. I mean, you can still see the monuments and buildings and a few things. I feel bad for everyone who comes to town now and can’t go in the museums.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Who knows. It doesn’t look like it’ll be resolved anytime soon, unfortunately. But there could also be a deal out of nowhere.

Maybe the tour companies that run these things have alternate agendas in mind. I mean, you can still see the monuments and buildings and a few things. I feel bad for everyone who comes to town now and can’t go in the museums.

Well, I would be open to a Universal Orlando alternate trip! Â đŸ˜‚Â Â I will ask our school to consider it, I am sure they will comply!Â đŸ˜œ

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

As mentioned, I will try, but I work until almost 5pm every day, and am trying to get my house ready to sell and packing up, and looking at houses to buy, etc.....this is just a busy, busy time and typically just popping in to one thrift store isn't helpful.  And there are none near me......so it is an issue of TIME. 

I'd try ebay and Craig's List. You might get lucky. Also I'd try posting on Facebook and any local boards to see if someone local can lend you a coat. 

(I totally feel your pain. Dh has to go to a 2 day team building event at a NH ski resort. He had to buy ski pants and a parka, long johns and water proof gloves which he will use for less than 48 hours and then will sit in our closet for the next 5-10 years until he has to go to some other outdoor winter thing in snow country. The most annoying thing is that he does have a winter coat and a puffer jacket that folds up but neither of those will work for skiing and snow shoeing.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1