Menu

s/o walking long distances--footwear for rain and snow?

cintinative

We got a few inches of snow and so I did a couple of long walks (probably a total of five miles) with my dog today in my duck boots. My knees are killing me now.  

Any suggestions on footwear for the winter that is good with both rain and snow? Here we could get either one of those any given day, and probably rain more than snow honestly. I do have rain boots, but I think those would hurt my knees even more on a long walk. 

Thanks in advance hive!

Dd and I both wear Ariat Terrain H2O boots. They are waterproof, super comfortable, and last a long time. I wear mine at least 4 hours a day in all kinds of mucky conditions, doing chores and riding my horses and just running around in general. Even with that amount of heavy daily use, I only have to replace them every two years or so.

• Like 1

I have Merrill hiking boots for that.  They are the goretex waterproof type, and I can actually slosh in and out of streams in them without getting my feet wet.  I find them a little hard on my knees and on the balls of my feet—they are stiffer than what I normally wear, and they land at a slightly unfamiliar orientation between my feet and my knees.  I tried Saucony trail runners last year with the new sole that grips ice and snow, but found that the arch support was so lacking that I took them back.  I’m still waiting to figure this out definitively, but in the meantime I do have some water resistant trail runners that I wear this time of the year—I have to avoid puddles, but they are better than the typical sieve-like trail runners.  An old backpackers’ trick while you’re still waiting to purchase your waterproof wear is to wear regular sneakers but put big plastic bags (like for newspapers) around each foot over your socks before putting your shoes on.  

• Like 1