Menu

How to proceed with writing?

My ds14 will be in 9th grade next Fall and I am trying to figure out the best way to approach writing.  Writing is not my strength, so I am not confident enough to pull it together on my own or just using ideas from curriculum to apply to other subjects.  We have been in Classical Conversations (leaving after this year of ChB), so he has completed some IEW and LTW level 1.  I feel like his writing could use a lot of improvement in style, and I think he could also improve in the skill of outlining and narration.

I have been reading tons of threads and like the looks of CW, and if I went with that, I would get it now and have him go through Homer for the rest of this year and begin Diogenes in the Fall.  I'm wondering if this would be a good option since he has already completed LTW 1. I do like that vocabulary is included, since otherwise I would be looking for a program for that too.  He wouldn't need the grammar instruction, but it would be a good review, if we choose not to skip those sections.

I'm also thinking about WWS, but I don't think he needs such a slow pace.  I haven't come across anything yet, but is there a condensed or faster version of WWS? Or other similar options?  I just feel like he needs to solidify the basics a little bit.  If I went with WWS or something similar, I was looking to utilize Killgallon sentence composing to help with style.

This is the more science/math-minded of my two.  He is bright, but doesn't like to work hard or work slowly...skills I am hoping to develop before he goes off to college, and I think a good writing program can help him with that.  I wish I could have his middle school years back to really work on writing, but it is what it is and I'm hoping that someone might have a recommendation for our situation - making up for lost time without killing ourselves or feeling too far behind. 🙂  Thank you!!