Menu

Ivy League Interviews- What to Wear

cuckoomamma

Hi all,

Dd has several Ivy interviews in the next few days/weeks, and we’re looking for The Hive’s recommendation on what to wear. We’ve read suit or business casual and then no suit if it’s at a Starbucks. This may be more difficult than the interview itself!

Please weigh in with specifics and where we’d find them. She has a navy suit she used for MUN that we thought she’d wear but want to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Edited by cuckoomamma
  • Like 1

I interview for an Ivy and my kids have had Ivy interviews. I've seen kids dress quite casually and some formally. My own preference is in between, so a chinos and button-down shirt for DS and skirt/sweater or nice dress for DDs. As an interviewer, I like to see that the student is taking the interview seriously (and so like them to look neat and a little bit dressed up -- no jeans) but I would hate for a student to get too stressed about it. 

• Like 1

I’ve interviewed for an Ivy for over 10 years, and I’ve never seen a kid wear a suit. They do always look neat and tidy. I think it’s more important for the kid to feel relaxed and comfortable than to be wearing something business-like.

ETA: It may vary by location—I’m on the West coast, where things are definitely more casual.

Edited by rzberrymom
  • Like 2

I interview for an Ivy. I think what people consider business casual is fine. For reference, I had an interviewee show up at Starbucks in torn jeans. She was coming from work, and was very impressive otherwise so I did not let that influence my feedback at all. But I remember the damned torn jeans! I can’t tell you what the other students wore...I don’t think it was suits. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

For a young woman, my vote would be dress pants or a skirt with a blouse and cardigan sweater.  Flats for shoes.  I think a dress or a suit is too dressy.

Just my $0.02

My son’s sole Ivy interview was at his school, so he had on his school uniform.  His G’town interview was immediately after school, so he had on his school uniform.  Khaki pants and a long-sleeved button down shirt with the school crest. Or a golf shirt with the school crest.  But, Ithink it was winter time, so it was probably the long-sleeved shirt. 

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1