Menu

What's with the ads?

We’ve had housing allowances for both military and clergy. Both times I don’t think it was counted as Medicaid income, but I wouldn’t bet money on my memory. 

A house has inherent value, as everyone needs shelter.  So a parsonage would count against income requirements and I do believe there is a formula for calculating how much the fair market value of it is.  Worst case scenario just assume whatnot it would cost to buy or rent a comparable residence and use that as the ‘expense’.  This comes up as an issue with disabled young adults living at home and how to count their residence there in terms of living expensives.  I’d call your social worker and ask about the specific laws in your state, as this does vary by location I think.

Like, in this county if we lived in a parsonage that would rent for $1100 a month, we would calculate that $1100 we weren’t paying for housing as a credit or ‘income’ essentially, a gift or benefit of the work situation just like a company car or life insurance policy would also count against Medicaid income eligibility. The *value* of the property or asset is what we had to calculate, not just take home pay.

Edited by Arctic Mama