Menu

Packing is coming along, but, OY! And update on the move and a question or two.

DawnM

Two younger sons have packed up most of their stuff.  A few bins.  That was it.

Oldest, Aspie, just simply didn't pack up his stuff.  He *thinks* he is a minimalist! 🙄  He is NOT!   He is obsessed with board games.  Like, big box, heavy, expensive board games.  He had over 30 of them.  They took up THREE large 64 gallon totes.  I packed them in totes because he is so careful with them that if they got damaged in a box, he would be very upset.

And he used to be obsessed with legos.  We have broken down his nice sets and placed them carefully in ind. bags to not lose peices or separate sets, and bubble wrapped and put them in a sturdy box.  Those, even broken down, took up two totes' worth of room.  That is just for his nicer sets.   We still have about 4 64 gallon totes of loose legos, but thankfully, those were already in bins.

And now I am on to his Art supplies......he is an artist, so this will take a while.  I hope to finish that today.

So, other two boys have about 1 tote of keepsakes, mementoes,  etc......Aspie has 7 so far.

I honestly don't mind......I just think it is funny that this is the one who thinks he is a minimalist.

As for the rest of the house, in case you are wondering:

• Basement is almost packed up, other than things remaining for showing.  We will do one more "go-through" and see if we can get a little more out.
  • Living Room- done
  • Dining Room-done
  • Sunroom- done
  • Kitchen- one more "go through" to get excess out, maybe a box or so, and then- done
  • Boys' rooms- hope to be done by Sunday
  • Office- that is the room middle son stayed in for Christmas break.  He leaves for school tomorrow, so after he leaves, we will tackle that room Sunday
  • Laundry room- done

I have a 3 day weekend for MLK in a week.  The Tue after that is a teacher workday, and I plan to take a sick day since my youngest won't have school that day.  We will use that 4 day weekend as a final push to get everything done.  Friends are coming up to help.  The husband is a landscaper and he and DH will be working in the yard for 3 days straight (we are paying the friend.). The wife said she will help me with cleaning and packing and final touches.  

GOAL:  To have this house on the market by the first weekend in Feb!

Question: Friend wants to help clean.  I am thankful, but I honestly wonder if it wouldn't be better to hire it out to get it sparkling?   I am worried that we will spend hours cleaning, only to decide to hire it out, and they will still charge us what they would have charged us had we done nothing to start the process?   Thoughts?  I figure it will be hundreds to do a deep cleaning of our house, including the basement.

Question 2: Would you go down to minimal furniture, like minimal/minimal, or just more sparse?  Every bedroom has an armchair, so the boys can sit and read or play on their phones or whatever, should I take those chairs out?  I guess I can ask the realtor, but I am just thinking about it and wanted input.

Question 3: I just realized that we will have dirty clothing while we sell.  Our laundry buckets are open and I am thinking that isn't appealing to buyers.  Should I go out and buy some laundry bins with LIDS so at least it will be contained and not visible?  I  am thinking I should.  Any other ideas?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

Can I just say how jealous I am. We just went under contract, set to close at the end of Feb, and the idea of packing up an entire house again and moving it is daunting. But exciting at the same time.

For the cleaning: If you guys are good cleaners with great attention to detail just do it yourself. Deep cleaning is not difficult, it's just time consuming. 

For the armchairs, if they make any room look cramped take it out. It the room is big enough for the chair without looking to busy then keep it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Can I just say how jealous I am. We just went under contract, set to close at the end of Feb, and the idea of packing up an entire house again and moving it is daunting. But exciting at the same time.

For the cleaning: If you guys are good cleaners with great attention to detail just do it yourself. Deep cleaning is not difficult, it's just time consuming. 

For the armchairs, if they make any room look cramped take it out. It the room is big enough for the chair without looking to busy then keep it.

What are you jealous about?  I am jealous you are already under contract!  Or do you mean on a house you are buying?  I am VERY worried about how long it will take to sell our house.  I am hoping it goes fast, but.......

Rooms are big and look a little empty without something other than a small bed.  I guess the realtor can just tell me what she thinks when we are ready.

I  hate, loathe, detest cleaning.  Hate.  There is so much that needs to be done.  Like, way more than I  have time for (working full time outside the home too) etc.....but I think I should at least do the downstairs windows and see if I can get them looking good as I am not sure cleaners do that, and then I will get my son and his friend to wipe down the outside wrap around porch railings as those are covered in pollen from last Spring (yup, that is the kind of cleaner I am!)  And I will clean the closets out and the kitchen cabinets.  

I think I will leave the big cleaning, vacuuming, hard wood floor cleaning, scrubbing, dusting, polishing to the cleaner......I have been thinking more about it, and that makes the most sense.

I need someone to come in 2 weeks so I guess I should get on it with getting someone lined up!  

Edited by DawnM

58 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

If you hire a cleaner, you can hold him to your agreed upon standards. 

It is hard to do that with a friend..."Hey, you missed a spot!" might not go over very well with someone who cares enough about you to help you clean.

im impressed with how much you've done!

Right now, while I am working, I am going up and setting the timer for 30 min.  If I can do any more than that, I do, but for the most part, I just do it as quickly as I can for 30-45 min per evening.  And I am setting measurable goals.....clean this area by this date, etc....fill both trash cans weekly, pack 7 boxes, take one trip to storage each weekend day, etc.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Don’t use friends to clean.  I’ve found very few people clean as well as I do, and even I struggle to clean as quickly or efficiently as a professional deep cleaner.  If they wan to help then things like exterior window washing and landscaping and cleaning the siding or deck are better bets than the interior.

Yeah, I noted above I plan to just do some things, but hire out for the remainder.....she can help with those few things.

I didn't mean to use a friend to clean entirely, but she wants to just do some while she is here.  I am not sending her outside to clean for me.  She can help me with wood trim, wiping down cabinets, window washing.......if it has to be gone over, it just does.....it's ok. She isn't asking for pay.

Edited by DawnM

Wow!  You done a lot in a short amount of time.

When we packed up our old house, we ended up packing up too much stuff and the realtor had to lend us artwork for the walls.  He hired a stager and she went through each room and told us what to keep and what to pack away.  The benefit was that I could clean the entire house in an hour for a showing.  

See, I would do the opposite of you. I would hire a widow cleaner to wash the windows and hire someone to power wash the outside of the house (or rent a power washer and have husband do it). I would (and have -- no hired cleaners when we moved) do the indoor cleaning on my own.

Basically, hire out what you hate the most and would find the most difficult physically to do on your own.

If your friend wants to help, that's nice! I can't boss my friends around, and I'm picky about how cleaning is done, so I couldn't accept that kind of help when it was offered to me. But if she is someone who will work hard at whatever task you have for her, go for it!

• Like 1

Sounds like you're on track!  We're hoping to have ours ready to sell by June 1.  I've packed up our attic (biggest mess of all -- so that feels good!), and just have a little left in the basement.  (Second biggest mess!  :))  As it gets closer to the date, I plan to pack up everything in the cupboards and shelves and get rid of small pieces of furniture that make things look cluttered.  Leave the big pieces, along with some nice wall hangings, lamps, etc.  I still want people to be able to envision it as a home.  And honestly, in our very old home, having it too empty shows the age more!  

I certainly wouldn't mind taking up a friend's offer to clean.  I could always go over things later if needed.  In the end, we'll probably end up hiring someone to clean pretty thoroughly once, and then I'll keep it up after that (hoping it sells by the end of the summer).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

What are you jealous about?  I am jealous you are already under contract!  Or do you mean on a house you are buying?  I am VERY worried about how long it will take to sell our house.  I am hoping it goes fast, but.......

Rooms are big and look a little empty without something other than a small bed.  I guess the realtor can just tell me what she thinks when we are ready.

I  hate, loathe, detest cleaning.  Hate.  There is so much that needs to be done.  Like, way more than I  have time for (working full time outside the home too) etc.....but I think I should at least do the downstairs windows and see if I can get them looking good as I am not sure cleaners do that, and then I will get my son and his friend to wipe down the outside wrap around porch railings as those are covered in pollen from last Spring (yup, that is the kind of cleaner I am!)  And I will clean the closets out and the kitchen cabinets.  

I think I will leave the big cleaning, vacuuming, hard wood floor cleaning, scrubbing, dusting, polishing to the cleaner......I have been thinking more about it, and that makes the most sense.

I need someone to come in 2 weeks so I guess I should get on it with getting someone lined up!  

Jealous that you are mostly packed up.  But I know worried you are about it not selling fast.  We were in that position last year.  We spent 8 weeks working on the house after packing everything up and moving into my parents.  Our house needed all new light fixtures, floors, paint, closet doors. and a whole list of other stuff.  After 8 weeks, we listed it and I thought I wouldn't sleep again until an offer came in.  Luckily for us, we got an above asking price offer within 12 hours of listing.  Which was pretty amazing because that is not the type of market we are in.  Most stuff is on the market for a few months before it sells. it was pretty smooth sailing from there.

Once the house sold we started looking for a new place.  2 places that we wanted to purchase fell through, which was annoying but we hadn't gotten passed the initial offer negotiations so it wasn't too painful.  We just went under contract for a beautiful house that really fits ALL of our needs perfectly.  So, I am jealous that you are on the tail end of packing where I have to start all over again since I unpacked half of our stuff because I thought we had settled on staying at my parents' longer.  Not only do I have to pack my stuff, I have to help my parents pack a completely furnished house because they are moving in with us.  After that I have to get their house ready to sell, which will be extensive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Storygirl said:

See, I would do the opposite of you. I would hire a widow cleaner to wash the windows and hire someone to power wash the outside of the house (or rent a power washer and have husband do it). I would (and have -- no hired cleaners when we moved) do the indoor cleaning on my own.

Basically, hire out what you hate the most and would find the most difficult physically to do on your own.

If your friend wants to help, that's nice! I can't boss my friends around, and I'm picky about how cleaning is done, so I couldn't accept that kind of help when it was offered to me. But if she is someone who will work hard at whatever task you have for her, go for it!

Sigh, I hate it ALL!

And I have only 2 weeks left.  

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

Jealous that you are mostly packed up.  But I know worried you are about it not selling fast.  We were in that position last year.  We spent 8 weeks working on the house after packing everything up and moving into my parents.  Our house needed all new light fixtures, floors, paint, closet doors. and a whole list of other stuff.  After 8 weeks, we listed it and I thought I wouldn't sleep again until an offer came in.  Luckily for us, we got an above asking price offer within 12 hours of listing.  Which was pretty amazing because that is not the type of market we are in.  Most stuff is on the market for a few months before it sells. it was pretty smooth sailing from there.

Once the house sold we started looking for a new place.  2 places that we wanted to purchase fell through, which was annoying but we hadn't gotten passed the initial offer negotiations so it wasn't too painful.  We just went under contract for a beautiful house that really fits ALL of our needs perfectly.  So, I am jealous that you are on the tail end of packing where I have to start all over again since I unpacked half of our stuff because I thought we had settled on staying at my parents' longer.  Not only do I have to pack my stuff, I have to help my parents pack a completely furnished house because they are moving in with us.  After that I have to get their house ready to sell, which will be extensive.

That is a lot!  

My youngest son has helped me SO much.  He is highly motivated to move, so that has helped.  He is helping me pack up, and helping me take loads over to the storage unit.

DH has GOT to pack up the garage where he has all of his tools and JUNK.  I bought large heavy duty bins for him to pack up with, and I am hoping he can get on it quickly this weekend.  I will take them to storage if he can get it all packed.

DH is a little more motivated too since we did find a house we love and he wants to move there.  So, we are hoping if we can get the house sold, it will still be available to buy, although we will offer lower as it needs some work.

But I have found for me, the best thing is to set the timer and just blitz as fast as I can to get it done, and do it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

But I have found for me, the best thing is to set the timer and just blitz as fast as I can to get it done, and do it!

This is house I work as well.  I have 6 weeks until closing so I just have to figure out a game plan and start doing a few bursts every day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

This is house I work as well.  I have 6 weeks until closing so I just have to figure out a game plan and start doing a few bursts every day.

Why 6 weeks?  Aren't traditional closings 30 days?  Ours have always been 30 days.  This will be the 3rd house we have sold.

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Why 6 weeks?  Aren't traditional closings 30 days?  Ours have always been 30 days.  This will be the 3rd house we have sold.

The seller has to have a leak fixed in the carport roof, so I imagine my realtor picked 6 weeks to give them enough time to get it done and then give us enough time to have it inspected.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

The seller has to have a leak fixed in the carport roof, so I imagine my realtor picked 6 weeks to give them enough time to get it done and then give us enough time to have it inspected.  

Gotcha.  

My biggest fear is that we will be in a hotel for a few weeks.  I guess it isn't a fear, as we have already decided to get like a 2 bedroom Residence Inn and tell the college boys they may want to stay on campus for this coming Spring Break if we aren't in a house by then, so it would just be the 3 of us, but.....we will still have to juggle the dog, getting the kid to school, since the bus won't come to the Residence Inn, etc...

Edited by DawnM

5 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Gotcha.  

My biggest fear is that we will be in a hotel for a few weeks.  I guess it isn't a fear, as we have already decided to get like a 2 bedroom Residence Inn and tell the college boys they may want to stay on campus for this coming Spring Break if we aren't in a house by then, so it would just be the 3 of us, but.....we will still have to juggle the dog, getting the kid to school, since the bus won't come to the Residence Inn, etc...

That sound like a pain.  We were lucky we could move in with my parents when the house was listed.  The idea of keeping a house clean for showings with 5 kids and 2 dogs was horrifying 

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

That sound like a pain.  We were lucky we could move in with my parents when the house was listed.  The idea of keeping a house clean for showings with 5 kids and 2 dogs was horrifying 

Well, we will be down to bare minimums by the time it is listed, and 2 kids off at college, so just the one kid and a fairly non-messy dog.  The kid who will be left is highly motivated to move, so he will be good about keeping his stuff clean.  He is a fairly clean person anyway.

Dh works from home 3 days per week, so he can take the dog out for a while if people look during the week.

FWIW, there are professional window washing services. If your house is big, especially if it has 2nd story windows that you can't readily clean from inside the house, then I'd suggest you hire a window washing company. Book them not too far before when your listing goes "live" so they are still sparkling. Be sure your screens get washed thoroughly, too, as that makes a big difference. 

I wouldn't bother to do any cleaning prior to hiring cleaners. They can/will clean it ALL, and you're probably wasting your time doing bits and pieces first. 

1) Power washing company to wash your sidewalks, porch, decks, siding, etc.

2) Window washing company (AFTER the power washing guys)

3) Inside cleaners -- top to bottom. Make a LIST of all the items you want included, and just go over it with them before you agree to terms. 

4) Landscaper/yard company to tidy up flower beds (mulch, weeds), etc. 

5) You & your friend/family . . . just worry about getting out. Or cleaning up the random spots (shed? garage?) that the cleaners won't do

How's it going with your friend helping this weekend?  

We're snowed in today so along with playing board games, watching DragonballZ, and shoveling snow, I've been packing and decluttering.  I've packed 4 boxes of books, filled a trash bag with trash, and have a load of stuff to take to Goodwill tomorrow. Oh and as we finish each board game we pack it away. We've almost filled a big rubbermaid container with games.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

How's it going with your friend helping this weekend?  

We're snowed in today so along with playing board games, watching DragonballZ, and shoveling snow, I've been packing and decluttering.  I've packed 4 boxes of books, filled a trash bag with trash, and have a load of stuff to take to Goodwill tomorrow. Oh and as we finish each board game we pack it away. We've almost filled a big rubbermaid container with games.

Thanks for asking.  It is next weekend that my friends are coming.  I work all 5 days this week.  My son only had 2 half days, and will be home the rest of the time, so I told him he is getting chores to help!  It is finals week and because of his grades and attendance, he only has to take two of the four finals and then Friday is a test make up day, so he won't have to do that either.  Must be NICE!

• Like 1