Menu

Second Wind

So I have been homeschooling 16 years if I include tutoring a nephew when my son was 3. I'm feeling pretty worn down. Part of that might just be "life" right now: housing, money, cars, extended family and other things but honestly I feel like I could just sleep for a year.

Though the oldest is in college the next 2 are perhaps my most challenging to school with dyslexia, ADD, and total uninterest in all things academic. Currently, they are sapping the life out of me. The 4th child is interested though he picks up ideas from 2nd and 3rd and influence of 1st won't be much with him away at college and I guess I'm worried I won't have anything left for him by the time 2 and 3 suck all enthusiasm from me. I am looking at outside classes and a technical high school for the middle kids too but the dyslexic may struggle.

For those who have been in for the long haul, any advice? What energized you? Is there any hope of getting enthusiasm back or will my last child just get a poor pale pittance from his mother?

Edited by frogger
Typos

I don’t know if my story is encouraging or not, but this year I am taking a breather. My kids without severe learning issues are in public school. I am afterschooling a bit, but it frees up my days to concentrate on my other kids. It gives me the bit of breathing room I needed to stop drowning. Things feel MUCH more manageable.

I still need to work on adding something that feeds my soul to my life but I at least think I can keep at this. Kids will (eventually) graduate out and I hope to bring my younger children back home at some point.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It gives me the bit of breathing room I needed to stop drowning. Things feel MUCH more manageable.

Yup, this is where I want things to be. Managable

As a fellow mom I will say I am glad you are getting a breather. 

Since my youngest is one that can practically school himself I'm not sure putting him in school would actually make a difference. My most difficult thing with him is chores and self care and that wouldn't go away but getting ready for school and meeting with teachers and scheduling around school would be added. Now if I could put the other two in school it would make a huge difference!

Trying to make sure I just check things and do one small thing with him he wants so he has human attention. His main activity Tae Kwon Do/Judo he can get to on his own so he gets excercise, fun, and friends. I really should be thankful he is so easy but he probably could excel if mom had some more time and I wish he weren't overshadowed. 

Yes. You are right. We just keep going.

I actually got a full nights sleep last night amazingly and that is so unusual. It really made a difference in my ability to function today. That might make a big difference in my outlook-just getting some sleep. Real life has just been kicking our butt.

I also decided to give child 2 a month long break from her worst subject and we got so much more done in everything else but of course that has to be very temporary since math isn't optional. I just need to find a way to fit things in and sleep.

We also don't do a ton of curriculum and subjects but with learning disabilities, the basic 3 r's sometimes kill me because everything is one on one tutoring/therapy. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1