Menu

List of Topics to Cover? Please Help!

Raeof5

I've decided to just read books and do activities for science and history with my second grader because we can't find a curriculum that will work for us after A LOT of searching.  I figured that we would do 2 years of American History with geography and then two years of World History before we go into a 4 year cycle of history. I'd like to sort of interest led science in the early years and then pick up in maybe 7th or 8th grade with formal curriculum. We are both excited about this but a piece of me doesn't want to leave anything important out so I was wondering if there were any lists for science concepts to cover and the same for history. I'd like a list of important people, places and events for american and then world history. It may be too much to ask. I've looked at several of timeline books but nothing is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for any suggestions you can give me!

https://ureadthru.wordpress.com/yr-2-ancient-greece-ancient-rome/

I've been using that as a very basic list of topics for American and World History. The review/discussion questions have been useful to see what DS remembers.

I've been using Building Foundations of Scientific Foundation as a list with discussions for core science concepts, but it's not exhaustive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I would suggest getting a copy of WTM for the history and literature lists.

Memoria Press enrichment guides come to mind.

Thanks, I have the WTM but I guess in was hoping for something a little more....exhaustive to choose from. Thats why I started looking into the timeline books. I think what I'm looking for just may not exist.

I had to make one up for World History. I just went through the SOTW table of contents and made a list of major events in ordrer. Then, because I like to be thorough/have it all/ and then cross out what I don't want to do, I found a few other world history books online that I could see their Table of contents and add anything SOTW was missing. 

I love the Christine Miller book All Through the Ages, as it shows major events chronologically and list major topics to touch within that topic and list some of the best books to use listed as a spine and by age level.  It really is phenomenal.  You could use Story of the World as a spine or CHOW for the younger years and just add living books😁.

It also lists resources by Geography or Scientific Discovery.

If you are simply looking for checklist style by topic Science Scope and History Guide plus are great for that.  The same company does Natural Speller and Maximum Math and both of those are great as well.

I hope you enjoy your new year😁.

Brenda

For grade 2, I don't think there is anything you HAVE to cover in either of those topics.  

For history, I generally don't really start any kind of plan until grade 3.  For grade two, if the goal is to be inexpensive, I would look at what is good in your library, or other local history sites around you, especially if they offer programming.  Build your year around those things.

That is what I would do for science as well - just get library books that interest your child or that look especially well written, and take advantage of what is close.  If you have a pond, nearby, do some study on pond life and plants that grow around ponds and such.  If you have a backyard, look at a book that explores nature in your yard.  If there is a science museum, look at their offerings.  I also always recommend the Outdoor Hour website, which has plenty of great science ideas.