Menu

Creative writing classes...

I am looking for recommendations on a creative writing class for my 12 year old.  She loves to write and we're looking for something fun and encouraging that will help her grow her writing skills.  I've googled and found several, but I'd love some feedback on classes/teachers.  I also need this to be cost effective.  This is just an add on for us, so under $100 would be ideal.

Hmmmm... getting a course with feedback for under $100 would be pretty remarkable. It would mean the instructor is virtually donating their time to you. (Or is being funded by some other source to run the class.)

These are the only free/cheap things I can come up with:

Writing Classes for Kids -- $60, online -- NO personal experience, but here's the description:
"Each course has six modules including comprehensive notes and examples plus a writing activity that you’ll receive feedback on. You’ll be sent a new module each week for the six weeks of the course. Course costs will include all materials and feedback related to the course. The costs will fund the ongoing production of new materials for this blog and will enable us to continue to run our FREE writing competitions."

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is free. Be sure to sign up for the Young Writers Program. No grading or teacher feedback, and no class interaction or support, but there is a free workbook, videos, and a blog of articles of encouragement. You might also look around locally and see if there are other local teens/pre-teens who have formed a local NaNoWriMo support group to provide each other with encouragement and feedback.

Also, check for local resources:
- local library teen or pre-teen class or summer writing program
- local teen or pre-teen writing group
- local writing classes who offers writing classes
- summer workshops teen/pre-teen offered by your local university or community college or other provider -- be looking for sign-up along about Feb-Mar, as most summer programs fill up FAST (note: these 1-week workshops are usually several hundred dollars -- but that's really reasonable when you realize that you are getting 5 days of 4-8 hours per day of guided instruction, activities, and feedback)

If you aren't able to find a local or online class that is a good fit, consider allowing your DD to explore creative writing as her writing curricula; here are 2 middle school programs:
Adventures in Fantasy Writing (gr. 5-9)
Cover Story (gr. 6-8)

BEST of luck to you in finding something to help support your DD pursue her passion that also fits the family budget! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My very creative 10 year-old took one of these Creative Journeys classes online last year and absolutely loved it.  I can’t say enough good things about his experience. The instructor (children’s author Jennifer Trafton) has done a fantastic job designing courses that inspire, motivate, and encourage. The only challenge is that the courses have limited availability if you would like a group class with instructor feedback (though you can have your child complete the course independently — without instructor feedback — if you wish).  DS took the class with a group, but it did require registering early, a few months before the course began. It was well-worth the wait. Highly recommend! 

ETA: I just looked it up; the next 6-week group class begins on the 14th (next week) and has 6 slots left. DS10 was drooling over it so I signed him up. $129. 

Edited by lots of little ducklings
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Hmmmm... getting a course with feedback for under $100 would be pretty remarkable. It would mean the instructor is virtually donating their time to you. (Or is being funded by some other source to run the class.)

These are the only free/cheap things I can come up with:

Writing Classes for Kids -- $60, online -- NO personal experience, but here's the description:
"Each course has six modules including comprehensive notes and examples plus a writing activity that you’ll receive feedback on. You’ll be sent a new module each week for the six weeks of the course. Course costs will include all materials and feedback related to the course. The costs will fund the ongoing production of new materials for this blog and will enable us to continue to run our FREE writing competitions."

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is free. Be sure to sign up for the Young Writers Program. No grading or teacher feedback, and no class interaction or support, but there is a free workbook, videos, and a blog of articles of encouragement. You might also look around locally and see if there are other local teens/pre-teens who have formed a local NaNoWriMo support group to provide each other with encouragement and feedback.

Also, check for local resources:
- local library teen or pre-teen class or summer writing program
- local teen or pre-teen writing group
- local writing classes who offers writing classes
- summer workshops teen/pre-teen offered by your local university or community college or other provider -- be looking for sign-up along about Feb-Mar, as most summer programs fill up FAST (note: these 1-week workshops are usually several hundred dollars -- but that's really reasonable when you realize that you are getting 5 days of 4-8 hours per day of guided instruction, activities, and feedback)

If you aren't able to find a local or online class that is a good fit, consider allowing your DD to explore creative writing as her writing curricula; here are 2 middle school programs:
Adventures in Fantasy Writing (gr. 5-9)
Cover Story (gr. 6-8)

BEST of luck to you in finding something to help support your DD pursue her passion that also fits the family budget! Warmest regards, Lori D.

This is good to know.  I may need to adjust my expectations/budget.  We've never done an outside class like this, so I wasn't sure what cost should be...