Menu

What's your house salad?

Ali in OR

I do love my salad spinner. A year or so ago I posted a thread about how my family members kept breaking my salad spinners but I just couldn’t live without it so I kept replacing them.

I use the mini artisan lettuce heads that come in the plastic box. I buy them at Aldi but I have seen the same brand in other stores too. It’s a good mix and it keeps well without getting icky. I will buy romaine if I can’t get the artisan mix. I am usually all about convenience but I just don’t enjoy the bagged greens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I do love my salad spinner. A year or so ago I posted a thread about how my family members kept breaking my salad spinners but I just couldn’t live without it so I kept replacing them.

I use the mini artisan lettuce heads that come in the plastic box. I buy them at Aldi but I have seen the same brand in other stores too. It’s a good mix and it keeps well without getting icky. I will buy romaine if I can’t get the artisan mix. I am usually all about convenience but I just don’t enjoy the bagged greens. 

I think I remember that thread! Do you have a favorite you replaced it with? I’m going to check out the pampered chef one carol recommended above. I’ve looked at the Oxo on amazon too. 

The stainless steel one from Oxo was the one that prompted that thread when dh broke the plastic lid. I emailed Oxo and they replaced the plastic lid free of charge. I didn’t even pay postage. They just asked what model I had and a lid arrived in the mail. So that was awesome. I got called out on that thread for actually keeping my lettuce in the spinner bowl in the fridge (thus it was jostled around and broken) but I still do that. Lol. I guess I never learn. 

Funny thing is I never had a salad spinner until probably 10 years ago. Definitely didn’t have one growing up. I have no idea how we ate salads. 😂 Have I mentioned how much I need my salad spinner? 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mmasc said:

Sort of on (yet off) the topic...do most of you use bagged mixes or fresh greens? Follow-up (and the real point of my question!) do you use and LOVE a salad spinner? I want to get one so bad, but I just hate adding another thing to my kitchen! Is it worth it?!

I use both. Again, it depends on what I'm in the mood for and what's on sale. I have to be careful when my grocery store puts bagged lettuce/salad mix on a bogo. It does spoil more quickly than fresh lettuce so I try not to buy more than we can use in a few days. When I use fresh lettuce I use my salad spinner. Mine is a cheap dollar store one I've had for 15+ years. Every now and then I think about getting a fancier one but then I realize my cheapie one does the job just fine.

Also sort of on yet off topic - I've been trying to make mason jar salads for myself for the week. I don't work but even at home I often don't feel like cutting up a bunch of different salad ingredients to make special salads in the middle of the day, but if I do several at once and put them in jars I find myself eating a salad for lunch more often. Since I'm home I don't actually put the dressing in the jar like the instructions/recipes tell you to. I just dump the salad in a bowl and add whatever dressing I want that day or that goes with the specific salad. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to (seriously) date myself here, but those of us born in the Eisenhower administration did not have access to these "newfangled" plastic salad spinners with gears. However, as Californians and a serious salad eating family, we had two other technologies.

The main one was a French collapsable mesh basket whose handles folded down so it would stand as a colander in a sink or tabletop. Then, after rinsing, the handles would be folded up and used (outside) to swing the basket forcing out the water.

Since kids were generally more prone to enjoy spinning abound with great force than adults were, salad spinning (or should we call it "child spinning?") was usually my job in our household.

Where the French baskets were not available, we used large tea-towels made of a thin flour-cloth-like material (also French?). Lettuce would be laid on these. Then (with ends gathered securely) the package would be spun in much the same fashion as the basket. The only difference being the lettuce package would then be placed in the fridge to crisp until time for assembly.

Here is a photo of the type of baskets we used.

image.png.68215045e88339ee9270d4fc84e7af0e.png

This was life in "the olden days." I remember when salad spinners hit the market. A marvel!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

I'm going to (seriously) date myself here, but those of us born in the Eisenhower administration did not have access to these "newfangled" plastic salad spinners with gears. However, as Californians and a serious salad eating family, we had two other technologies.

The main one was a French collapsable mesh basket whose handles folded down so it would stand as a colander in a sink or tabletop. Then, after rinsing, the handles would be folded up and used (outside) to swing the basket forcing out the water.

Since kids were generally more prone to enjoy spinning abound with great force than adults were, salad spinning (or should we call it "child spinning?") was usually my job in our household.

Where the French baskets were not available, we used large tea-towels made of a thing flour-cloth-like material (also French?). Lettuce would be laid on these. Then (with ends gathered securely) the package would be spun in much the same fashion as the basket. The only difference being the lettuce package would then be placed in the fridge to crisp until time for assembly.

Here is a photo of the type of baskets we used.

image.png.68215045e88339ee9270d4fc84e7af0e.png

This was life in "the olden days." I remember when salad spinners hit the market. A marvel!

Bill

We didn't even have the fancy French basket. My mother would wash the lettuce (iceberg!) in the colander then pat (and sometimes squeeze) it dry with a cotton kitchen towel. I didn't grow up in California but I did spend my first 13 years in The Garden State and I remember going to the huge farmer's market for our fresh fruit and vegetables (there is NOTHING like a Jersey tomato). You would have thought with all that fresh produce available we'd eat better lettuce than iceberg but no. That was what everyone ate. Dark leafy lettuce and delicate greens only happened at fancy restaurants. 🙂 

12 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

We didn't even have the fancy French basket. My mother would wash the lettuce (iceberg!) in the colander then pat (and sometimes squeeze) it dry with a cotton kitchen towel. I didn't grow up in California but I did spend my first 13 years in The Garden State and I remember going to the huge farmer's market for our fresh fruit and vegetables (there is NOTHING like a Jersey tomato). You would have thought with all that fresh produce available we'd eat better lettuce than iceberg but no. That was what everyone ate. Dark leafy lettuce and delicate greens only happened at fancy restaurants. 🙂 

This is what I still do! (Although, not usually iceberg.) and I’m sick of using half a roll of paper towels or seventy billion dish towels to only have less-wet lettuce!😂

• Like 1

Just now, Lady Florida. said:

My memory is that having one of these French baskets was fairly unusual among my acquaintances. Not sure I knew anyone else who used one.

My folks were a bit ahead of the game with these. We ate a lot of salad!

Still do.

We ate a lot of dark leafy green salads, but iceberg salads were enjoyed as well. Funny, but after decades not eating iceberg, I made a fancy throwback iceberg wedge salad with chilled (in the freezer) plates and homemade "French" dressing, and my kid loved it. Must admit it was pretty durn good.

My only requirement for salads is homemade dressing (using olive oil as the base).

The most nostalgic "salad" I made (and often) is a German coleslaw in the style my dear grandmother used to make (daily). A simple dressing of olive oil, usually apple cider vinegar, a pinch of sugar, and salt & pepper. Lot's of optional ingredients including grated carrot, sweet peppers, grated apples, etc. I use her old carbon steel knife to cut the slaw and eating the dish links me to her through memory.

Bill

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mmasc said:

Sort of on (yet off) the topic...do most of you use bagged mixes or fresh greens? Follow-up (and the real point of my question!) do you use and LOVE a salad spinner? I want to get one so bad, but I just hate adding another thing to my kitchen! Is it worth it?!

I usually buy bagged because it's so simple. Bagged greens have changed a lot since they first came out 25 years ago and had that awful smell. I will also buy it on mark down if I can find it and know I'm going to use it that day or the next. The only thing I use my salad spinner for is romaine (the heads come 3 to a bag), but I do love my salad spinner. It's worth it; I do remember those days of laying out half a roll of paper towels just to get the lettuce dry!

• Like 1

DD and I eat a lot of chopped salads. The "base" for all of them is chopped cherry tomatoes, red & yellow peppers, green onions, and cucumbers, dressed with a little olive oil and lemon juice. We usually make enough of the base to last 3-4 days in the fridge. Then depending on the mood, we add different beans, cheese, and other veg to make a meal:

Italian: add cannellini beans, marinated mozzarella, marinated artichoke hearts, arugula, fresh basil, capers, shaved parmesan (plus DD adds olives to hers). Usually the oil from the mozzarella and artichoke hearts is enough, so we just add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I toss this with pasta and serve it warm or as a salad.

Greek: add chickpeas, marinated feta, thinly sliced red onions, spinach, mint, oregano,  and olives for DD. Dressed with a little extra olive oil and lemon juice. Also good mixed with couscous, orzo, or quinoa.

Mexican: add black beans, cotija cheese (or sometimes just shredded cheddar), corn, avocado, salsa, lime juice. We usually just eat this with corn chips, but sometimes DD likes to eat it over romaine lettuce dressed with a blend of ranch and salsa.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

What a great thread! I just read through, gleaning ideas --- but does no one else add apples or raisins to their salads? Our salads are usually enormous and full of enough veggies, nuts, etc to make a meal - but I didn't see anyone mention fruit other than strawberries (which I also love!). We add cranberries, raisins, blueberries.... whatever's on hand.

yum.

I buy bagged lettuce mixes, but have been prewashing them lately (all the lettuce recalls have me a bit icky about lettuce that I haven't at least tried to wash first myself) - I think, after reading this thread, that it's time to invest in a salad spinner. I've always done it the hard way (using tea towels and lots of patience) and never thought to try a spinner.

Off to amazon!

We use fruit in our salads. 

One we make a lot is any lettuce, green onions, blueberries, oranges, olive oil, salad, orange musket vinegar from Trader Joe’s, salt.

My current favorite is butter lettuce, goat cheese, apples, dried cranberries, sliced almonds, olive oil, salt, orange musket vinegar. It’s good with turkey if we want more protein.

Generally a variety of lettuces/spinach with small tomatoes (grape or cherry), cucumber if I have it, some olives from our local olive oil store, maybe sunflower seeds if I have them, fresh cracked pepper, fresh grated parmesan for whoever can have dairy at the time. 😜

I toss with olive oil and balsamic from the local store.

Last night I made a salad with butter lettuce and spinach, fresh satsumas from the neighbor, a diced avocado, purple onion slivers, slivered almonds and tossed in a blood orange infused olive oil and lemon balsamic. It was very yummy!

• 2 years later...

I like all the salads as long as they don't have blue cheese in them.  In the winter I default to bagged salads; especially the crunchy ones. I'm usually more in a soup mood when it's cold.  In the summer, the garden tells me what salads to make.  I love cobb salads made at home because I don't have to ask anyone to swap out the blue cheese for me.  I also love a spinach/strawberry/pecan salad with a honey vinaigrette.  And anything with avocados. And caprese when the tomatoes are ripe. And Israeli chopped salads when the cucumbers are ripe. 😁

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

I was going to say our zombie thread trend is ongoing but looks like it was a legitimate bump up.  My fam are horrible about eating dressing the only dressed salad they eat is the changs fried noodle one.  However I like to do an undressed version of Waldorf with apples, celery and walnuts.  I just add dressing for DD and I.

• Like 1

Romaine (or sometimes romaine and iceberg -- I know, but I like the crunch), shredded carrots, red onion, bell pepper, grape tomatoes, toasted sunflower seeds, almonds and/or pecans, dried carrots (acting as gluten-free croutons).

I like either French dressing (the organic, vegan kind) or balsamic and olive oil. My husband generally prefers blue cheese or ranch.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2019 at 9:27 PM, mmasc said:

I *love* my salad spinner.  I rarely buy bagged greens, but even when I do, I usually want to rinse and spin them dry.  I also find it a big help when processing herbs from the garden--a quick rinse and a spin dry--and they are ready to be used:  for cooking, for freezing, for drying.

• Like 2

This is a great zombie thread! I can't believe I didn't put in my 2 cents when it was fresh.

My favorite salad is arugula, feta, and sunflower seeds dressed with olive oil and sherry vinegar. I didn't make up the recipe, but I don't remember where I got it.

My daughter, who generally does not like any vegetable at all, despite being vegetarian, will eat this happily.

Last summer I started making a lot of different kinds of salad, but none is my "house" salad the way this one is.  

• Like 3

I eat salad for breakfast and often for dinner, too, and my fridge is basically a salad bar. I keep a big bowl of mixed greens and microgreens along with jars and containers of many different ingredients that are prepped and ready to go. Cukes, carrots, grape tomatoes, snap peas, bell peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, roasted sweet potato cubes, baked tofu, roasted mushrooms, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, mango, roasted beets, olives, pecans, walnuts, plus jars of homemade dressing using different flavors of balsamic vinegar. At meal time, we put the whole spread on the table so people can pick and choose whatever ingredients they want.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VickiMNE said:

I *love* my salad spinner.  I rarely buy bagged greens, but even when I do, I usually want to rinse and spin them dry.  I also find it a big help when processing herbs from the garden--a quick rinse and a spin dry--and they are ready to be used:  for cooking, for freezing, for drying.

I did end up buying one. And I use it often and love it! I went with the Mueller one on Amazon and it has served me well. 

Edited by mmasc
Add link
  • Like 2

We have undressed salad lovers here. Our ‘house’ salad is romaine with wild wonders tomatoes, onion (thin red or fried), carrot/raddish, bell pepper (red or yellow only), olives (black or kalamata), cheese (Parmesan, cheddar, blue, feta) and salad seasoning. I have a salad seasoning from the Middle East that I move heaven and earth to import (Knorr Basil with Thyme). Lol. Which reminds me, anyone there wanna hook me up with a new supply?? 🤣

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sneezyone said:

We have undressed salad lovers here. Our ‘house’ salad is romaine with wild wonders tomatoes, onion (thin red or fried), carrot/raddish, bell pepper (red or yellow only), olives (black or kalamata), cheese (Parmesan, cheddar, blue, feta) and salad seasoning. I have a salad seasoning from the Middle East that I move heaven and earth to import (Knorr Basil with Thyme). Lol. Which reminds me, anyone there wanna hook me up with a new supply?? 🤣

Where do you normally find this? Is it in a certain section of the grocery store usually? Or do you always have to order it? I’ll check my store for you!

• Thanks 1

I had to find this thread--my most recent cholesterol test is the highest ever. I thought I had made all the necessary dietary changes, but in reality I don't eat enough veggies. It's hard as a supertaster. But I like salads--so my new mission is to eat more salads. Can I learn to crave salad for lunch? I think that would be a super good change for me if lunch was usually a yummy salad.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

I had to find this thread--my most recent cholesterol test is the highest ever. I thought I had made all the necessary dietary changes, but in reality I don't eat enough veggies. It's hard as a supertaster. But I like salads--so my new mission is to eat more salads. Can I learn to crave salad for lunch? I think that would be a super good change for me if lunch was usually a yummy salad.

I think you can! I eat a salad most days, but I change the flavor profile quite often so I don’t get bored. You probably just need to play around with seasonings and dressings and vegetables to find some combos you love and can rotate through. 

• Like 2

Produce from grocery store curbside pickup has been real hit or miss this year, especially with texture. We settled on an almost-everyday salad consisting of bagged butter lettuce, red pepper, cucumber, and corn. The optional add-ins are usually grilled chicken, various cheeses, and croutons or wonton strips, and a homemade dressing of peanut butter/soy sauce/rice vinegar/maple syrup/ginger/garlic. My alternative store bought dressing is a creamy poppy seed.

I am looking forward to shopping for produce in person starting next month, after I get shot #2 later this week. Or maybe I will go back to doing a CSA this year. This thread is full of great salad ideas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

Where do you normally find this? Is it in a certain section of the grocery store usually? Or do you always have to order it? I’ll check my store for you!

When we lived in Bahrain (I’m told it’s also sold in parts of Europe, India and South Africa) it was sold in the seasonings/pasta aisle. The stores were laid out differently. It’s got Arabic writing on it. This stuff makes people think you slaved over basic pasta salad (noodles, zucchini, carrot, black olives, tomato, blanched broccoli).https://www.ebay.com/itm/Knorr-Salad-Seasoning-Basil-With-Thyme-4x10g-/124500096975 ☺️

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I use green leaf lettuce and some shredded carrot as my base.  Sometimes with some shredded cabbage or broccoli/coleslaw mix if I feel like mixing it up.  I keep chopped tomatoes separate because they make the lettuce go bad really fast.  Same with chopped cucumber.  The lettuce/carrot/cabbage mixture will stay good for many days in the fridge, sometimes more than a week.  Then we just pull it out and add stuff to it.  Leftover meat, lunchmeat, cheese, sunflower seed, bacon bits, whatever we feel like.  

I have a Pampered Chef salad spinner that I really like.  You can get it spinning really fast. 

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

When we lived in Bahrain (I’m told it’s also sold in parts of Europe, India and South Africa) it was sold in the seasonings/pasta aisle. The stores were laid out differently. It’s got Arabic writing on it. This stuff makes people think you slaved over basic pasta salad (noodles, zucchini, carrot, black olives, tomato, blanched broccoli).https://www.ebay.com/itm/Knorr-Salad-Seasoning-Basil-With-Thyme-4x10g-/124500096975 ☺️

We have middle eastern grocery stores and international markets galore in my area. They usually carry anything sold in the Middle East as far as spices are concerned. I will check to see if any one of them carries this when I go next time ...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

We have middle eastern grocery stores and international markets galore in my area. They usually carry anything sold in the Middle East as far as spices are concerned. I will check to see if any one of them carries this when I go next time ...

Thanks!! I have had the hardest time finding it locally!!

On 1/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, Lady Florida. said:

I use both. Again, it depends on what I'm in the mood for and what's on sale. I have to be careful when my grocery store puts bagged lettuce/salad mix on a bogo. It does spoil more quickly than fresh lettuce so I try not to buy more than we can use in a few days. When I use fresh lettuce I use my salad spinner. Mine is a cheap dollar store one I've had for 15+ years. Every now and then I think about getting a fancier one but then I realize my cheapie one does the job just fine.

My salad spinner (must be 20 years old?, who remembers?) is also really generic. Nothing fancy. I crank it, it spins. I think it is the 2nd spinner that I've owned in the past 40+ years.

Bill

• Like 1

IMO the best thing one can do to make salads healthier is to make your own dressings using extra virgin olive oil instead of the crappy polyunsaturated oils in bottled dressings with are not heart healthy.

And having a variety of vinegars helps change up the taste profiles. Red and white wine vinegars, champagne vinegar, balsamic, apple cider, rice, seasoned rice, sherry, and even berry flavored vinegars all have their own things. And one can use other herbs, seasonings, salt, garlic, various mustards, cheeses, or other flavorings to change things up.

Like a tiny dollop of pomegranate molasses. Or a wee bit of miso with rice vinegar. Play around. Vinegar never spoils so if one has the space to store them, it's nice to lay in a variety. Plus lemon juice.

Bill

• Like 3

Mine is a salad meal, and I try to keep it made most of the time. I use spring mix, grape tomatoes, raisins, olives, cucumber, bell peppers, celery, turnips, squash, zucchini, canned beans, ham or chicken, walnuts, shredded cheese, radishes, red cabbage, sometimes boiled egg/leftover corn, or green peas. Sometimes I sprinkle on flaxseed and/or sauerkraut. We like it with homemade bleu cheese dressing. I make from 14-17 at a time and we both take them to work or eat one a day at home if we are off. 

• Like 2

I could swear I hit submit on my reply last night but it's nowhere to be seen. Anyway, when I saw this thread yesterday morning I ignored it figuring it was another spammer in a zombie thread. Then I received a notification that @Spy Car quoted me so I had to see what was going on. Thank you Bill. 🙂 

It's great to see some new salad ideas plus I reread the older posts. Now I'll be craving salads for the rest of the week. 

20 hours ago, Spy Car said:

IMO the best thing one can do to make salads healthier is to make your own dressings using extra virgin olive oil instead of the crappy polyunsaturated oils in bottled dressings with are not heart healthy.

And having a variety of vinegars helps change up the taste profiles. Red and white wine vinegars, champagne vinegar, balsamic, apple cider, rice, seasoned rice, sherry, and even berry flavored vinegars all have their own things. And one can use other herbs, seasonings, salt, garlic, various mustards, cheeses, or other flavorings to change things up.

I prefer to make my own dressings but at one point we tried Newman's Own White Balsamic Vinaigrette and we love it. So naturally it's no longer available in my local stores but I can buy it on Amazon. I've been meaning to try and recreate it through experimentation so maybe now is my chance.

27 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I could swear I hit submit on my reply last night but it's nowhere to be seen. Anyway, when I saw this thread yesterday morning I ignored it figuring it was another spammer in a zombie thread. Then I received a notification that @Spy Car quoted me so I had to see what was going on. Thank you Bill. 🙂 

It's great to see some new salad ideas plus I reread the older posts. Now I'll be craving salads for the rest of the week. 

I prefer to make my own dressings but at one point we tried Newman's Own White Balsamic Vinaigrette and we love it. So naturally it's no longer available in my local stores but I can buy it on Amazon. I've been meaning to try and recreate it through experimentation so maybe now is my chance.

I truly believe that homemade salad dressings are the key to salads that are both healthful and delicious.

Extra-virgin olive oil, by all reports, is so much healthier for an individual than the polyunsaturated vegetables typically used in bottled dressings, and one can play with the flavors to create a range of dressing that break the monotony. And have more delicious salads. And it can't be more expensive. So win-win-win.

Bill

• Like 1