Menu

Suggestions needed for Algebra 2 and Precalculus textbooks

So in my ideal world this is what the textbooks would have:

Direct instruction, not discovery method

Short explanation with more examples and fewer words

Easy, medium, and difficult problems clearly identified, building up students to tackle the most difficult problems

Mastery, not spiral. But would be nice to have review problems

ETA1: needs to be challenging, but not as difficult as AoPS and definitely not discovery

ETA2: DS has *asked* for a textbook that has challenging problems.  He has dysgraphia so can't write a lot and does a lot in his head.  He really hates easy drill, but loves hard drill where he takes a page to solve a problem and then does many like it to build up his skills. This allows him to practice the basics within a harder problem, and still get the challenge that he wants. I'd like to see easy and medium problems also, just because I have seen AoPS and it ramps up too quickly each section for my ds. 

What can you guys suggest?

Edited by lewelma

20 minutes ago, lewelma said:

So in my ideal world this is what the textbooks would have:

Direct instruction, not discovery method

Short explanation with more examples and fewer words

Easy, medium, and difficult problems clearly identified, building up students to tackle the most difficult problems

Mastery, not spiral. But would be nice to have review problems

What can you guys suggest?

MUS (though I havent seen their alg 2 or pre-cal books but the pages are very blank with lots of white space.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Given what I have read about TT and having used MUS with a tutor kid, I'm looking for something harder either of these programs.  Basically, my younger son is quite mathy but does not like AoPS, because he doesn't like the discovery approach.  

Edited by lewelma

Oh dear, I've stepped in it.  Don't mean to negatively critique TT as I have never seen it.  DS will have to do very specific test prep for the NZ math exams, so I'm trying to get a certain type of book. The NZ publishers seem to have made the books both cutesy and too easy to gain a top mark.

DS has *asked* for a textbook that has challenging problems.  He has dysgraphia so can't write a lot and does a lot in his head.  He really hates easy drill, but loves hard drill where he takes a page to solve a problem and then does many like it to build up his skills. This allows him to practice the basics within a harder problem, and still get the challenge that he wants. I'd like to see easy and medium problems also, just because I have seen AoPS and it ramps up too quickly each section for my ds. 

Edited by lewelma

TT is an easier program.  So is MUS.  It isn't stepping into it to state a fact.  Neither are going to have C type problems.  The problem you are going to face with your standard programs are they are wordy.  DO might be a compromise b/c he teaches and instruction isn't dependent on the wording in the book.  I don't know about the alg 2 program, but my dd doesn't use any of his teaching materials other than the videos.  She is working out of the Sullivan precal text.  Sullivan and Larson are 2 typical publishers used for cal at Us here.  So, not easy. Not AoPS. But solid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smith (Prentice Hall) Algebra 2. It's easier to learn from than Dolciani, but does have some challenge problems and covers much more than the basics. It has "Try This" problems after each example, so the student can focus on one concept at a time. Memoria Press sells videos and lesson plans for it. Text can be bought second hand. I did buy the solutions manual, too. It is laid out with A, B, and Challenge Problems like Dolciani.

We like Dolciani (we have it on the shelf and have used parts of both Algebra 1 & 2), but the layout assumes a teacher is teaching the course. We find things just go more smoothly with Smith. YMMV-my student is on the young side.

Larson Precalculus is similarly arranged with a "Try Problem #" after each example. I have an older version, but was able to easily find solutions and to match it up with the free resources at larsonprecalculus.com. Chalkdust/ Cool Math Guy videos/ assignments line up with this edition.

Both are mastery. Neither rely heavily on calculator use (my dd does more in her head than I would prefer). Smith has a bit of review at the end of each lesson. ETA- The Challenge Problems are pretty good, but we use EMF for challenge math.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've hear good things about those!

What I finally decided on, was a 1990 NZ text.  It covers NZ content (meaning integrating Alg 2, Precalc, and Calc each year), but it was published before it got overwhelmingly colourful and more segmented into units with little connection.  Very pleased to have found it. 

• Like 2