Menu

Journalism Resources?

scbusf

My 7th grader is very into sports (especially football) and he is interested in looking into sports journalism. Even if he doesn't end up doing it as a career, I think it would be a great way to get him interested in writing. I've googled a bit and don't see a lot of journalism curriculum/resources out there. Any ideas?

Thank you!

I am in the beginning stages of creating a journalism class for my current 6th grader. We won't start until the fall, so I don't have many actual sources yet. I can share my plans though. 

In the fall we will start with journalism ethics and history. This will be ongoing throughout the year and the core of the class. I'll add in journalist biographies and general books on the subject itself (New Journalism by Boynton and Elements of Journalism). Then each month (6 weeks?) we will focus on a different subject/genre- data, investigative, newspaper reporting, etc). There needs to be a focus on storytelling too, though I'm torn on how to incorporate it. I may end up putting storytelling into Language Arts as a separate thing. 

I'm also planning on having my 6th grader email or contact different people in the industry, but I don't have that thought out yet. 

In the past when I've created classes without a lot of obvious curricula, I've just taken from college sources. Many can be adapted for middle- grade kids. 

Post if you find any thing good!  

Wordsmith Apprentice (gr. 4-6) -- might be too young for him, but perhaps could work at a faster pace for a 1-semester option?

Middle School Journalism -- free lesson plans
Adapting the Rule of 3 for a Middle School Journalism Program -- article about how to adapt high school materials for middle school

High Five -- three stand-alone units, each is 6-weeks long; high school/middle school
   Unit A = Media Literacy and Newspapers
   Unit B = Become a Journalist -- "how to" of writing
   Unit C = Go to Press -- "how to" of layout and printing)
Introductory News Literacy -- this is all 3 units of High Five, adapted and in one pdf file

If adapting high school level, something here might work:
School Journalism -- free articles & lesson plans (looks like high school level)
Adorable Chaos blog: Journalism Courses for High School Homeschoolers
Five J's blog: Journalism Curriculum for Homeschoolers
Brave Writer: The Scoop: The Art of Journalism -- 4-week online course, ages 15-18
IEW: Journalism Basics
High School Journalism (Hall & Aimone) -- in addition to the linked text, there is a student book and a teacher guide