Menu

Original composition in Treasured Conversations

Sarah0000

So the daily copy work is a continuous story, correct? Are there breaks from that story where unrelated passages are the copy work? Is each day's copy work a complete mini story and the next day's is a separate mini story with the same characters or does it continue one long story?

I'm just wondering if it would be easy to add in original composition each day based on the story. So if DS does the daily copy work in a journal is there room in the story for him to add a bit of his own story or details each day? I'm envisioning the copy work story on one side in the journal and his original add ons on the facing page, then he could illustrate it graphic novel style (his favorite).

He's on the younger side so I would likely scribe this part for him but it would be useful if I can easily squeeze bits of original composition into a daily routine rather than relying on writing projects that only happen sporadically. We would also park in section 1 for quite awhile. Does each section have a different story for the copy work? 

The copywork is several different stories.  There will be some for a week or so that is continuous, and then the next week will be a different story. Occasionally there is what seems to be a week of random copywork that doesn't follow a story.  5th day work so far (we're on week 7, week 8 is the end of section 1) often asks the child to imagine what comes next and tell a story or draw a picture based on that.  If I were you I'd read the entire 5-10 lessons that follow the same story and then decide if you can add on in the middle of each one.  It would certainly be easy during the first week, but as you go on the stories are more...complex?  The passages are also used for grammar work, so as each part of speech is added the sentences are fuller and more descriptive. One thing that might work well is just continuing the grammar lesson to create new sentences that add more description to the passage.