Menu

Need new exercise

bethben

I started CrossFit a year ago.  It was a default join in a way since they were they only place that could/would accommodate my disabled child in the class with me.  My son will sit in his wheelchair and if anything just dance to the music they play.  I am feeling my age.  I am easily the oldest in the class every time.  It seems like a young person's sport.  Yes, I'm getting stronger and my endurance is decent, but I miss Saturday classes in particular because they pair people up to split the workout and I never want to give my partner more than their fair share.  I just can't do what someone 20 years younger than me is capable of.  I fell off a bar five days ago mostly because I was just getting back into it after breaking my foot and my grip was weak.  

I'm not quite sure what to do.  I do like group classes but every place I call has their space maximized and cannot allow my son to be with me.  If I had to make sure someone was able to watch him every time I wanted to work out, I'm not sure I would make the extra effort it would require.  Bringing him with me is actually less work.  

I looked into those Peloton bikes, but it's a $2200 bike PLUS a $39 monthly fee.  Yes, I'm paying more than $39 a month for my gym membership, but the price of the bike?  Ouch!

I don't just want to take walks.  I need some external motivation.  I'm not even sure I would stick with exercise equipment at home.  I'm a little competitive...

I tried out a Bowflex Max Trainer at the sporting goods store today. My goodness, it was so fun.  My 10 year old tried it and loved it, too. They had 3 models ($900-1600) and even thought it's MADNESS to consider...I'm considering. I think it also has a customizable workout subscription. Just throwing that out there, lol. 

I love CrossFit, but I am lucky that my gym has lots of the 40+ crowd.

Are there any other gyms nearby, like Orange Theory?  I have heard great things about them, but I have no idea if they would be willing to accommodate your son. I know what you mean about external motivation.  I cannot do any home fitness programs for more than a week or two.

Now I'm wondering if I'm living in the weird land of older people who exercise?  Most of the exercise classes I've taken have been just full of people around my age (I'm almost 54 - I'd say most of the people are in their 40's - 60's).  This has been true in the yoga and Pilates classes I've taken.  A friend of mine does Crossfit, and she's my age, and from pics I've seen of her place on Facebook, it looks like she's not an unusual age.  I row crew in the summers, and most of my fellow rowers are my age or older.  And I just joined Orange Theory for the winter (need to do something while the river is frozen!) and I feel pretty darn average in terms of the age of the people in the classes.  Sure, there are some younger people, but plenty that seem in my age cohort.  I'm loving Orange Theory, by the way - I just did it because the winter rowing class I've done for the past two years looked like it might not run, and I needed to do something so I wouldn't be panting in the boat come spring.  It is pricey, but I'm justifying it by going all the time - I'm up to 5 classes a week now (same price for 3 classes a week or 7...).  I think I might even miss it this summer when I go back to rowing on the water (no way am I giving that up...)

I'm another one who needs external motivation.  I apparently will not exercise unless I have to be somewhere.  

Oh, and as far as your kid... I have no idea if Orange Theory would accommodate your son, but ours has space outside the studio with a staffed desk and lockers (glass doors look into the studio), and I know one person brings her service dog who stays out there during class.  The Orange Theory workouts are designed to be able to accommodate various levels of fitness.  Different weights, variations on exercises, and on the treadmills you can choose to run or 'power' walk and there are different instructions depending on which you want (I walk; I am not a runner).  They also use rowing machines, which is why they caught my attention.  

I’m sorry. 😞 I wish I could offer advice.  I am the opposite of someone who needs external motivation. If I had to GO somewhere to exercise, it would never get done.  I exercise at home with DVD that incorporate light-weight, circuit training three days a week and run twice a week.  My cost outlay is for DVDs, 5-, 8-,and 10-lb weights, and running shoes. I might be cheap. 😬

But, everyone is different as to what works for them. Have you *tried* home exercise?

• Like 5

Can one of the Crossfit trainers give you a personal plan or let you come in during open gym to work with them? Do you have a Y with something similar? Our Y had someone teaching who (shhh) worked out at Crossfit a lot and also had a degree in exercise science. She did an adapted version that was doable for the 40-60-something women who showed up but could be more challenging for the 20-somethings. I'd probably die in actual crossfit, but I liked that class.

I just started having a trainer make me plans. Like you, I'm not open to being hurt. I need my workout to be well-rounded (so I'm safe), and efficient. I can leave my ds, but if I leave for too long then he's anxious and not going to bed and staying up really late, sigh. So for me, I think the trainer money will be well-spent just to make me more efficient. And it's fun, because his plans are kicking my butt the way that other class used to. (That employee left for grad school, sigh.)

Pickleball!  See if there is a group of pickleball players near you.  It's so much fun, it gets the heart rate up, and great for bodies that are getting older.  It's not a hard core workout like cross fit though.  But I'm over those, LOL.  I do have the old Callanetics book on my bed and think I'm going to give that a go for a focused "workout" time.  And I do like the long power walk, but you said that's not your thing.  I do hope you find things that work for you!

If you like the idea of the Peleton machine, do you know about bike trainers? If you already have a bike, it's simple to set it up on a trainer (they aren't too expensive).

Since you like competition, you might love Zwift--essentially you virtually ride or race with others in real time. The courses are tough, and smart trainers actually work in tandem with Zwift by increasing resistance when the course goes uphill, and so forth. My DS --who does race competitively in real life--LOVES it. It's a fantastic workout and very motivational. (I ride on the trainer but I don't need that competitive motivation. I prefer to do interval workouts from YouTube).

Indoor cycling is fantastic if you are recovering from injuries or need a serious workout that easier on joints and niggling spots. I've been sidelined from an injury from a boot camp class a year and a half ago. Unrelated pains prevent me from holding onto kettle bells (sob!), but cycling has been what I've needed to get in serious cardio. There's a reason so many aging runners switch to cycling, and with the trainer not only is the workout much harder (said as someone who loves Spinning and can't believe how tough indoor is!) but takes all external factors (weather, traffic, etc) out of the equation. 

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Do you have a Y with something similar? Our Y had someone teaching who (shhh) worked out at Crossfit a lot and also had a degree in exercise science. She did an adapted version that was doable for the 40-60-something women who showed up but could be more challenging for the 20-somethings. I'd probably die in actual crossfit, but I liked that class.

Both of the Y's nearest me offer a CrossFit-style class that can be adapted for pretty much any level as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Do you have a YMCA? I'm not sure if you need to have your son in the room with you during class, but I am fairly certain our Y would accommodate that if asked. If he's able to be on his own for a bit, there are definitely plenty of common areas where he could hang out.

I was going to suggest that too. Our YMCA is very accommodating, has a wide variety of classes, and at least at 6:00 in the morning is an older crowd.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I think that if the Peloton bike appeals to you and you can come up with the $$ for it, you should go for it. Look at it as an investment in your mental and physical health.

Or start watching Craigslist. I just got a really nice treadmill that way. You just have to check FREQUENTLY and reply RIGHT AWAY, because things go quickly. 

10 hours ago, jen3kids said:

I love CrossFit, but I am lucky that my gym has lots of the 40+ crowd.

Are there any other gyms nearby, like Orange Theory?  I have heard great things about them, but I have no idea if they would be willing to accommodate your son. I know what you mean about external motivation.  I cannot do any home fitness programs for more than a week or two.

I did find one near my home.  Smaller gym and they don't have the room for my son to sit and are afraid of liability.  I may just have to talk to the trainers at CrossFit.  They are pretty good about adapting exercises and making sure you're doing them correctly.  The Peloton bike is something I would do but the expense!!!

12 minutes ago, Gobblygook said:

We’ve always found the Y to be exceptionally welcoming to my disabled son!

Last time I checked with the Y, they said they couldn’t have his wheelchair in the class because of space issues.  He’s 19 and childcare won’t take him either.  I may call again...the ones near me seem to have a ton of aquatic classes and not much else.  I loathe pools.

Take a look at Alexia Clark workouts. For $30/month she gives you 5 workouts per week. Each day has both a gym workout, which utilizes typical gym equipment, and a similar home workout, which can be done with minimal equipment. They are excellent workouts (I did the gym version for a few months when I was bored with coming up with my own strength routines). While they are not exactly CrossFit, I do think if you enjoy CF, you would enjoy her workouts. You can take a look at snippets of what you would be doing by checking her out on Instagram. They really helped me when I was in a rut but wanted to keep training.

Best wishes!

52 minutes ago, bethben said:

Last time I checked with the Y, they said they couldn’t have his wheelchair in the class because of space issues.  He’s 19 and childcare won’t take him either.  I may call again...the ones near me seem to have a ton of aquatic classes and not much else.  I loathe pools.

That's disappointing. In my state, the Y's all have reciprocity, so a membership at one gets you access to facilities and classes at all the Y's in the state. (A few special programs are sometimes excluded.) If there are any others within driving distance, they might have better accommodations. 

I would ask around, not just look into gyms. I know of several churches that host Zumba and martial arts classes. The space is certainly big enough to accommodate your son. I don't know where you live, but there may be some in your area. Word of mouth is how you're going to find them though.

28 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Is he signed up with the county board of developmental disabilities? It seems like you need respite care funding.

He does.  I just know if I have to depend upon an additional layer of chaos in order to even make a gym time, I won't do it.  I did hire my 18 year old to do respite for me, and it works OK, but even that is not perfect.  I know myself too well.  Taking him with me is just easier.