Menu

PSB - Health Occupations Aptitude exam

Does anyone here have any experience with this exam?  I need to take it for admissions to the diagnostic imaging sonography program.  And I need to do very well on it.  I took a practice test and did great on all the sections except Natural Science.  There seems to be a ton of information they could test on.  And I last looked at many of those subjects over 30 years ago.  I have a study guide book, but the Natural Sciences section is really lame.  I found a video online by the same company, but it is poke-my-eyes-out boring ... just a woman with a white board with tiny. messy writing.  I was surprised at how detailed it was.  There were very specific questions that I only knew from my recent Anatomy & Physiology and Physics classes.  

Any suggestions on how to study for this portion of the test?  here are a smattering of topics I noted from just one practice exam that I need to either brush up on or learn outright.  

Characteristics of types of cells (prokaryotic, eukaryotic, etc.), Krebs cycle, brain structure and functions, endocrine system (organs, hormones, functions), dissection procedures

oxidation states, nomenclature, common compounds, common elements and their atomic numbers (needed the atomic number of a compound with no periodic table available), electron orbitals, bonds, especially in organic molecules, moles and grams in moles.

measurement, scale, conversions, scientific notation

simple machines, angular motion, thermodynamics, wave motion, Ohm's Law, Bernoulli's principle, electricity, triboelectric series, magnetism.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard of this particular test but for the TEAS, which is a nursing program entrance exam, I joined a FB group that was very helpful. There was a lot of info about what specifically to study for the science section. I also used an app for practice questions, which helped a ton. The science section for the TEAS definitely covered the largest breadth of information and took the most dedicated study time.

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

I haven't heard of this particular test but for the TEAS, which is a nursing program entrance exam, I joined a FB group that was very helpful. There was a lot of info about what specifically to study for the science section. I also used an app for practice questions, which helped a ton. The science section for the TEAS definitely covered the largest breadth of information and took the most dedicated study time.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I saw some online resources for this.  The scope of the science section does not appear to be the same, but it looks like it may help with the Chemistry knowledge of the test, an area of weakness for me.

44 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

What app is that?  Is it for Apple?  I only have android.  I'm having trouble finding anything useful for my particular exam.

Yes, on apple. The app is basically the name of the exam. Does the company that makes the test sell study material?

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Yes, on apple. The app is basically the name of the exam. Does the company that makes the test sell study material?

Bummer.  I don't have access to Apple.  The company is very vague about their test.  And I can't find any study materials from the test maker other than a sample test that is pretty short and generic.  And they make a point of saying that they make no claims to the accuracy and benefit of materials created by other companies.  

That said, I did find an ebook from my library that seems to have more information that the book I wasted money on.  I will also talk to the librarian at the community college to see what she recommends.  I may also be able to use a prep book for the CLEP Natural Sciences exam.  I'd like to take the test in March so that I have time to take a 2nd time in April before the application packet is due