Menu

Type 2 diabetes

MaBelle

I had gestational twice. It's a hassle, for sure.

It's not really about recipes as it is portion sizes. Portion sizes are never what you think they'll be. Get the hang of that, combined with medium-low GI foods, and you'll be on your way to a plan that suits you. (When I was diabetic, I could eat legumes but not grains, and my grandmother was the other way around. It makes no sense to me, but that's what was what.) 

Little things like sprinkling cinnamon on anything that tastes alright with cinnamon, lemon juice in your water, vinegar on your salads really does help. Exercise does, but no so hard that it stresses your body, because stress puts your sugar levels up, ready to fight or fly away.

I have type 2 diabetes.  I am officially out of the diabetic a1c range by eating low(ish) carb.  I have a glucometer and test 4 times a day (fasting and two hours after every meal ).  I tweak my diet based on my actual numbers.  I can handle a bit more food in the morning and less later in the day.  Some foods make my sugar spike and some are better tolerated.  (This is not the same for everyone though there are certainly trends.) 

• Like 1

Moth of my parents are and have been for many years. I'm not yet but we are keeping a close eye on it as it is almost inevitable  that I will be type 2 at some point, and I have been told to eat like I was already diagnosed.

For a quick reference try the American Diabetes Association. Recipes are here https://www.diabetesfoodhub.org/

My was diagnosed before the internet, and she has many of their cookbooks.

BTW - I could never manage m y diabetes on the American Diabetes Association's recipes.  Way too many carbs for my body.  (But you have to realize that the ADA and many doctors are not trying to get you to non-diabetic bloodsugar numbers.  My doctor and I just had a disagreement on this very point at my last appointment.) 

• Like 3

Just now, Margaret in CO said:

They're not? That was my doc's goal. Where do they want you? Doesn't it make sense to get to non-diabetic numbers?

My doctor is more afraid of the effects of hypoglycemia on the brain than the effects of bloodsugar in the 6.0 a1c range. I am now in the 5’s and was told that was not advised. I told him that I know the symptoms of hypoglycemia and maintain tight control (through frequent testing) and am fine. He accepted that but honestly most of his patients are not willing to maintain tight control. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

I've reversed mine with the 3 s's. No snacks, no sugar, no seconds. And walking 10-12 miles a day. I was on fairly high doses of Metformin, but now have cut that in half. We'll see this month if I can get off it altogether. I've dropped 43 lbs. My biggest challenge is not eating at night. 

Whoa, I'm impressed.  I love to eat at night.

• Like 1

I highly recommend asking for a prescription for a blood sugar meter and test strips.  They're not expensive if you have to buy them yourself, but covered by insurance is better than not. Many insurance companies only cover them if you're on insulin.  In that case buy the one with the cheapest test strips you can find at a place like Walmart.  Buy a giant box of them.

Keep a log of everything you eat.  Most people fall into one of three patterns, and it seems to depend on genetics (like how many insulin receptors you have on certain kinds of muscle cells), gut bacteria, and age.  Once you know which one you are we can respond with more specific recommendations, but generally-

1. some do best on low carb but can eat high fat just fine (probably 70% of people, there are tons of low carb recipe websites that can help you eat fabulously on this, if you want the longest life possible I highly recommend Dr Bernstein's books and YouTube Channel if this is your type)
  2. some do best on very low fat with NO saturated fat but can handle carbs just fine as long as they aren't eating too many calories (about 20% of people, the vegan diabetic diets are often best for people like this, even if you cheat and add meat occasionally or an ounce or two a day for flavor.  Here's a few: Fuhrman, Barnard, they both have lots or presence on YouTube too.)
  3. some need both low fat AND lower carb and basically do best with "clean eating" like fitness competitors - lean protein, tons of non starchy veggies, and some berries (about 10% of people, I am one of these, but I can handle MUCH more sugar when I'm careful to eat lots of antioxidants - there are plenty of "clean eating" recipes online too. Tosca Reno's stuff is really good though not diabetes specific.  David Kirsch's books have my favorite recipes. Dr Matthew Weiner's book and YouTube channel are really good too).  If you want your blood sugar under control ASAP, start with something like this and then when your numbers are normal again try other stuff and see what you can handle and what you can't.  This might look like an egg white omelette with sauteed spinach, onions, mushrooms, turkey sausage or bacon and an ounce of fat free cheese for breakfast, a couple ounces of baked chicken breast or fish with a whole pound of broccoli for lunch, Spiralized zucchini or riced cauliflower with shrimp, marinara sauce, 1 ounce of fat free mozzarella and some parmesan for flavor. Snacks might be a handful of nuts, a protein shake, a sugar free jello cup, or a bowl full of berries after dinner for dessert.

Other general tips that have been very helpful to me:

• someone here told me I needed not just to walk, but to do strengthening exercises (lift weights, squat, etc) when I needed to lower my blood sugar.  That works MUCH better for me than just walking if I need a quick 50-100 point drop.
  • If your blood sugar is too high you can't predict whether your blood sugar will rise or fall in response to exercise.
  • Drink lots of water.  Your numbers will be high if you aren't hydrated, and even worse if you grab soda instead of water or tea.
  • Do NOT assume because you are hungry that means you need to eat. Test your blood sugar first.  I've often found when I'm hungry it's because my numbers are too high, not too low.  Sometimes not though, so don't assume. 
  • If your numbers have been fine for a week and suddenly go up for no apparent reason (exercise and diet have stayed the same), it's a sign you're going to start feeling sick in the next couple days.  You might try elderberry and vitamin C.
  • When you don't get enough sleep, or you are sick or are otherwise unusually stressed your blood sugars will go way up.  It's just the body's response to cortisol.  Try to get enough sleep and rest and don't stress over your numbers when you're ill.
  • Please read Jason Fung's Diabetes Code and/or his Fasting book.  I found Presto! also very motivating even though it's not diabetes specific (Language warning for that though).
  • You will find odd things that don't seem to make sense.  I can eat a bagful of Dove Chocolate covered dried blueberries, peanuts, or berries in general and my numbers fall instead of rise.  I can't have a cup of skim milk without my blood sugar skyrocketing close to 100 points. My guess is it has to do with antioxidants, but I can't be sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

BTW - I could never manage m y diabetes on the American Diabetes Association's recipes.  Way too many carbs for my body.  (But you have to realize that the ADA and many doctors are not trying to get you to non-diabetic bloodsugar numbers.  My doctor and I just had a disagreement on this very point at my last appointment.) 

Whoops - nevermind!  I see you answered my question down the page!

Edited by Reefgazer

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, MaBelle said:

Whoa, I'm impressed.  I love to eat at night.

I'm a night-time eater, as well.  You know what works for me to stop that?  Going to bed earlier, before I start craving crap.  Sounds so simple, but it's hard for me to develop the self-discipline to go to bed early. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, Margaret in CO said:

It's a Proform 400i. We got the bigger one as dh claims he'll use it. He won't. 😉 It was well packed and not TOO hard to put together. The trucking guy was an angel. 

We have a Proform (which I have to waddle upstairs and use *right now*) and we love it!

6.4 is not too bad. I bet if you work on getting more exercise and following a Keto diet, you will see those numbers drop. How is your weight doing? That is obviously highly correlated to insulin sensitivity. I highly recommend a couple of Keto Facebook groups for recipes:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604356226464490/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TwosleeversKeto/

Aside from metformin, I also had very good results with Victoza. Most people lose a few pounds on it.

You might also look into Intermittent Fasting. I talked to a researcher at the Salk Institute the other day, and he swears IF is the key to longevity (basically, you give your mitochondria a rest).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IntermittentFastingForWomen/

3 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

6.4 is not too bad. I bet if you work on getting more exercise and following a Keto diet, you will see those numbers drop. How is your weight doing? That is obviously highly correlated to insulin sensitivity. I highly recommend a couple of Keto Facebook groups for recipes:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1604356226464490/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TwosleeversKeto/

Aside from metformin, I also had very good results with Victoza. Most people lose a few pounds on it.

You might also look into Intermittent Fasting. I talked to a researcher at the Salk Institute the other day, and he swears IF is the key to longevity (basically, you give your mitochondria a rest).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/IntermittentFastingForWomen/

I've been losing.  20 lbs to go.  I'm about 5'6" and 170.  I got up to 190.  OMG!

• Like 2

Ask your endocrinologist/internist about the FreeStyle Libre.  https://www.freestylelibre.us/

It made a huge difference for me.  You put a sensor on which lasts for 10-14 days (14 days was the old sensors, 10 is the new).  Then you have a scanner and you can see how each food/thing/etc affects your blood sugar.  No need to prick yourself.  Helps you get really tight control.  I think it's a game changer.  

I was on metformin ER since I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but it gave me horrible diarrhea which never really resolved.  I lived on immodium.  With this, I can manage with diet/exercise and only take a half of a glyburide when needed. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, umsami said:

Ask your endocrinologist/internist about the FreeStyle Libre.  https://www.freestylelibre.us/

It made a huge difference for me.  You put a sensor on which lasts for 10-14 days (14 days was the old sensors, 10 is the new).  Then you have a scanner and you can see how each food/thing/etc affects your blood sugar.  No need to prick yourself.  Helps you get really tight control.  I think it's a game changer.  

I was on metformin ER since I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes, but it gave me horrible diarrhea which never really resolved.  I lived on immodium.  With this, I can manage with diet/exercise and only take a half of a glyburide when needed. 

Can I ask how this works?  Does it have access to  your blood?  What exactly is it sensing? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Can I ask how this works?  Does it have access to  your blood?  What exactly is it sensing? 

Not umsami, but it measures the glucose in the interstitial fluid. Can lag blood glucose values by a bit, so not as accurate during times of rapid change in glucose levels. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It has a sensor thing that goes a few cms into your arm and measures interstitial glucose levels.  I'm on worldwide groups with thousands of users and it is as accurate as finger sticks in my experience (I would compare them at first). It's used by a lot of Type 1 diabetics whose control is far more crucial than Type 2s.  I've seen people drop their HbA1C 3-4 percentage points.  It can be life changing, especially for people who were not willing to do finger sticks as often (or at all).  The newer 10 day ones can be scanned with your phone.  It can be a bit addictive at first... and it's good to see just what foods or artificial sweeteners or what not you may be sensitive to.  It is completely painless.  If the monitor falls off, you can contact Abbott and they'll send you a new one for free.  FreeStyle libre does not require the calibrating that some machines do, which adds to its ease of use. It is also far more affordable. 

You can read more here: https://diatribe.org/flash-glucose-monitoring

If you are cash pay, there are free pharmacy cards that help reduce the cost of the sensors.  I was paying about $70 for a month's supply, but it more than made up for it in terms of results.  Walmart seemed to have the best prices.  (I haven't bought the 10 day sensors yet.)

Edited by umsami
  • Like 3

I'm so glad I stumbled on this.  I am likely going to be a type 2 diabetic at some point, if I'm not already due to a strong family history and recent weight gain.  I'm only about 10 lbs over the upper range of "healthy weight for height", but not if you take into account my light frame.  I feel best about 25 lbs lighter than I am now.  I'll be doing blood work this week for my latest physical (once I can get them to change the order to include a full thyroid panel, not just TSH and Free T4.)  

I'm thinking of getting a glucometer to help me either get my blood sugar under control, or prevent me from becoming diabetic?  If so, do you have one that you recommend?  I'm thinking I would just get the entire package with all the supplies.  I'm doubtful that insurance would pay for it unless I were diagnosed.  

ETA:  I'm working on the weight thing.  I'm down 4 lbs since Christmas.  

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I'm so glad I stumbled on this.  I am likely going to be a type 2 diabetic at some point, if I'm not already due to a strong family history and recent weight gain.  I'm only about 10 lbs over the upper range of "healthy weight for height", but not if you take into account my light frame.  I feel best about 25 lbs lighter than I am now.  I'll be doing blood work this week for my latest physical (once I can get them to change the order to include a full thyroid panel, not just TSH and Free T4.)  

I'm thinking of getting a glucometer to help me either get my blood sugar under control, or prevent me from becoming diabetic?  If so, do you have one that you recommend?  I'm thinking I would just get the entire package with all the supplies.  I'm doubtful that insurance would pay for it unless I were diagnosed.  

ETA:  I'm working on the weight thing.  I'm down 4 lbs since Christmas.  

IME the cheapest test strips are at Walmart.  That's the expensive part over time, not the monitor. Choose whatever has the cheapest strips.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Katy said:

IME the cheapest test strips are at Walmart.  That's the expensive part over time, not the monitor. Choose whatever has the cheapest strips.

Yes, the ReliOn (Walmart) brand is good (reliable) and has the cheapest strips... that's where the companies make their money.

As an FYI, you do not have to match your lancet to your monitor....so go for the one with the highest gauge (thinnest).  

Found these:

BGM https://www.diabeteshealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/BGMs.pdf

Edited by umsami

I am going to throw it out there for anyone reading this not familiar with my story. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20s, had two gestational diabetes pregnancies, was flirting with pre-diabetes afterwards (A1Cs around 5.7-5.8), couldn't get the weight off after baby number two no matter what I did, and could just see that I was on the type 2 diabetes train. I himmed and hawed about weight loss surgery for five years. Didn't think I was fat enough. Didn't think I was sick enough. Worried about complications. Yadda Yadda. 

My doctor told my, "Monique, statistically, you have less than a 5% chance of ever not being obese without surgery." I knew that I had tried everything. I finally just decided to do it. I was scared to death because I was worried that I was going to make my life worse. I mean, I didn't even have diabetes. Yet. I was the thinnest person in my surgery cohort at Kaiser by far. But, I did all the research, and I knew that people who had the surgery when they were healthier had less complications and better outcomes. I mean, that just made sense.

So, a year ago, I had a gastric bypass. I picked one of the top surgeons in the state. It was easier than my c-section. Seriously, no pain, no complications. It's been a breeze. And the weight has come off effortlessly. I went from 217 on the date of surgery to 150 lbs today. I am 5' 4". And, I am still losing. My BMI went from obese to healthy in one year. The best part is that my labs look better than they did when I was in my 20s. I've probably extended my life by a decade.

So, I know that most of the people here only have 20 or 30 lbs to lose, which is totally doable with diet and exercise. But, for anyone reading this whose BMI is over 35, whose insulin sensitivity and metabolism are likely so screwed up, if you have tried Keto, and IF, and exercise, and still aren't having success, I urge you to consider weight loss surgery. Anyway, that's my PSA. A recent pic from our cruise over the holidays (and I am 5 lbs less now).

• Like 4

Did your endocrinologist do antibody testing? There are at least two other forms of diabetes-MODY and LADA. Both can look like type 2, but need a different treatment path. I’m LADA, and the goal is to reduce stress on the pancreas as much as possible, as well as control the underlying autoimmune disorder so that the pancreas isn’t under attack, so testing and seeing how carbs affect you is important (for me, anything from wheat or white rice makes a big difference, but sugar plus protein doesn’t. So a roll affects me more than a reese’s cup!) 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Did your endocrinologist do antibody testing? There are at least two other forms of diabetes-MODY and LADA. Both can look like type 2, but need a different treatment path. I’m LADA, and the goal is to reduce stress on the pancreas as much as possible, as well as control the underlying autoimmune disorder so that the pancreas isn’t under attack, so testing and seeing how carbs affect you is important (for me, anything from wheat or white rice makes a big difference, but sugar plus protein doesn’t. So a roll affects me more than a reese’s cup!) 

Way back when (like 15 years ago), my family practice doc ran a full panel and I do have antibodies.  He referred me to an endocrynologist who told me that my elevated TSH was "fine" and that all my symptoms were in my head and I needed a shrink instead.  For several years, I went to a wholistic doctor who treated my Hashimotos.  But, he wanted lots of really expensive tests really often.  Since he was out of network and many of the labs he ordered were not available through network labs, he was breaking the bank.  The last straw was when he wanted me to eliminate so many foods, that I would not be able to function.  

My family practice doc has taken over treating my hashimotos.  He actually listened and looked at my free T3 as well as symptoms to know what my levels should be.  I have not bee diagnosed as a diabetic as of yet.  I suspect it is on the horizon, though, based upon weight gain from menopause and depression and how lousy I feel.  Most endocrinologists around here still only look at TSH and don't care about people like me who don't convert T4 to T3 well.  I do best when my TSH is below 0.5.  But that is considered "overtreating" by most endos.  

28 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Way back when (like 15 years ago), my family practice doc ran a full panel and I do have antibodies.  He referred me to an endocrynologist who told me that my elevated TSH was "fine" and that all my symptoms were in my head and I needed a shrink instead.  For several years, I went to a wholistic doctor who treated my Hashimotos.  But, he wanted lots of really expensive tests really often.  Since he was out of network and many of the labs he ordered were not available through network labs, he was breaking the bank.  The last straw was when he wanted me to eliminate so many foods, that I would not be able to function.  

My family practice doc has taken over treating my hashimotos.  He actually listened and looked at my free T3 as well as symptoms to know what my levels should be.  I have not bee diagnosed as a diabetic as of yet.  I suspect it is on the horizon, though, based upon weight gain from menopause and depression and how lousy I feel.  Most endocrinologists around here still only look at TSH and don't care about people like me who don't convert T4 to T3 well.  I do best when my TSH is below 0.5.  But that is considered "overtreating" by most endos.  

If you are worried about rype two diabetes you should have a hemoglobin A1< done. That will show if you are moving into prediabetes range. 

@SeaConquest Monique, you look lovely. You must feel absolutely amazing to literally have lifted that weight off your shoulders.  

To OP: There's a lot of success stories of reversing T2 by eating very low carb (keto), and I'm another vote for looking into Dr. Fung.  But keto is very restrictive, so you have to really consider being on board for the long term.  I do best on keto when I keep any "cheats" to less than every 2 weeks... so that's pretty restrictive.  I am not dealing with T2D, but I do have family history, so am trying to be proactive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

@SeaConquest Monique, you look lovely. You must feel absolutely amazing to literally have lifted that weight off your shoulders.  

It's funny. I actually don't feel any different. I didn't grow up fat, so when I got fat, I never really let it stop me or felt much different either. I only got the surgery because I didn't want diabetes and because I wanted to go to nursing school and knew I wouldn't survive 12 hour shifts on my feet while obese. Body dysmorphia is truly bizarre.

• Like 1