Menu

How to word this (cancelling college visit)?

Kassia

Dd (11th grade) signed up to attend a college visit event with one of her top schools and found out two days later (figures) that she has a performance the day of the college visit.  She needs to contact the school to reschedule but she's not certain yet when she's available.  Like most teens, she's so busy with activities, work, and school so she doesn't want to commit to a different day and then have to cancel again.  She wants the admissions counselor to know that she didn't cancel due to lack of interest but also doesn't want to go into detail about why she can't attend on the day she signed up for.  Since she's not ready to reschedule yet, she's concerned that it will appear that she's not interested.  I'm not sure how she should word her message to admissions and was looking for help here.

This kind of stuff happens all the time.   I would just say something like

Hi Admissions Counselor Bob

i was really looking forward to my visit to Favorite U on March 2.   Due to a calendar mix up I’m unable to make it that day but I will be rescheduling soon!   I apologize for the mix up and look forward to being on campus soon.

Jane Doe, junior at at Johnsonville High

i would also make sure when she reschedules that it’s a VERY clear date that would require a crisis to reschedule again.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

i would also make sure when she reschedules that it’s a VERY clear date that would require a crisis to reschedule again.

Thank you!  I agree about not having to reschedule again.  I want her to go soon but we live in the snow belt and I'm afraid of scheduling another visit and then having to cancel due to bad weather/road conditions.  Not sure how to handle that.  Winter is tough to schedule anything.  

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 7:04 PM, Kassia said:

Thank you!  I agree about not having to reschedule again.  I want her to go soon but we live in the snow belt and I'm afraid of scheduling another visit and then having to cancel due to bad weather/road conditions.  Not sure how to handle that.  Winter is tough to schedule anything.  

Spring will be here soon. Many juniors make visits in March and April. 

8 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

Spring will be here soon. Many juniors make visits in March and April. 

Thanks, we get snowstorms in March, though, so it's still risky.  Dd's spring break is at the same time as the college's so we don't want to visit then.  She did email and asked if they have tours during their summer session and they do so we'll try again then.  

37 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thanks, we get snowstorms in March, though, so it's still risky.  Dd's spring break is at the same time as the college's so we don't want to visit then.  She did email and asked if they have tours during their summer session and they do so we'll try again then.  

We ended up with similar issues. We went east to visit schools during spring break last year and 2 out of the 4 were on spring break and got stopped by a major snow storm. Then Dd17 ran out of steam so we did three August visits as one of the three schools had a visit day. Though the out of session visits were not as good as in session visits, they were enough to give her a feel for the schools. She will go back to visit this spring if she is accepted and the school is still in contention. 

• Like 2