Menu

Study Help for Comp Sci and AB Calc

Ds is taking Derek Owens Honors Comp Sci and AB Calculus.

He has always been a really strong math student, but says he is having trouble grasping the material.  I have never taken comp sci, and I took calculus over 25 years ago.  It all looks foreign to me.

Are there any resources I could get to help him master these subjects? I really feel this is important as I want him to be prepared to help himself if he’s having trouble with a subject while away at college.

I have already had him e-mail his professors to see what they recommend, but I’d also like to get some other resources if you know of any.

Should I watch the videos and see if I can help him or is it better for him to work thru it on his own?  I don’t have the time, but do I need to MAKE time for it?

I’m planning to take him to the library on Saturdays to work on this and any other trouble spots once his DE start.  Just want him to have a good foundation for college. (He’s planning to major in business.)

Thanks!

Edited by JazzyMom

You might have him check out Khan Academy for Calculus. They have videos and practice problems by topic. I remember when I took Calculus, doing lots of extra problems, beyond the assigned ones, really helped to cement my understanding. Also, sometimes seeing the material presented in a different way by a different person can help with tough concepts. Is there any chance he could sometimes work with another student, even remotely?

• Like 1

Maybe choosing one of the Larson books as a second explanation? http://www.larsoncalculus.com/calc10/

There is a lot of support material at the site. It's easier to navigate if you have one of the texts because everything is by chapter and section. You would only need to rent the student text ($30ish) to have lots of problems to practice because CalChat has solutions and access to tutoring: http://www.calcchat.com/

• Like 1

For Derek Owens Computer Science, which chapter is your son currently working on? https://www.derekowens.com/course_info_computer_science.php

My oldest reads StackExchange threads on programming when he gets stuck. He finds it hard to learn python through books or videos so he rather read python threads on forums and see how others solve similar problems. He just acknowledge that he checked whatever websites when he submits his assignments. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@JazzyMom I'm sure your ds has this well in hand by now, but I wanted to post a couple of YouTube channel links for those who find this thread later. These are both really straight forward and have different strengths depending on what you are looking for.

patrickJMT - usually 5- 20 minute videos by Calc (or other) topic. Usually just works through examples. Helpful if you are struggling with the 'how' and need to watch some more examples.

Professor Leonard - Very straight forward explanations in a classroom environment. Long videos (1 1/2-2 hrs!) but usually you can get the meat of it in the first 35 minutes. He goes through examples after that.

I could see using Professor Leonard's videos as the majority of 'teaching' for a kid who can't self-teach Calc or who is struggling in their current class (high school or college). They aren't going to be heavily theoretical, high level, or cover the 'why' - but they can help a kid figure out the basics & pass the class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  I actually sat down with him all day Saturday to figure out where he actually is and what type of help he needs.  I think these resources will be a big help.  I am going to have to be more hands on with these courses than I planned.

Edited by JazzyMom
  • Like 1

He’s only on chapter 3 in calculus, which is hugely disappointing because he needs to finish this course by the end of May.

I bought the book the course is based on so I can see if I can figure out what’s going on (calculus was sooooo long ago for me!)

I am going to have him start back at the beginning to gain understanding.  First thing I noticed when I started looking more closely is that he hasn’t been doing the extra practice problems.  Ugh.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JazzyMom said:

He’s only on chapter 3 in calculus, which is hugely disappointing because he needs to finish this course by the end of May.

I bought the book the course is based on so I can see if I can figure out what’s going on (calculus was sooooo long ago for me!)

I am going to have him start back at the beginning to gain understanding.  First thing I noticed when I started looking more closely is that he hasn’t been doing the extra practice problems.  Ugh.

This is one beef I have with the way DO structures his courses.  He calls what are essentially quizzes, "homework," and he calls what is really homework, "practice," as if the practice problems are optional.  Yes--I think that starting over would be good.

• Like 2