Menu

What's with the ads?

peacelovehomeschooling

Did you keep or get rid of your wedding dress?

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

My aunt ran a bridal shop for years and the first dress on is THE dress more often than you'd guess. Mine was the first one too - I tried on about 10 and went back to the first one. I guess nothing quite compares after you've seen yourself in the mirror. 

😀 I think my dress was the first on also but I sure tried to find another one because it seemed way to easy.  My veil I recognized as mine before I even tried it on.  My train was plain but my veil had incredible lace inserts and belonged with the dress.

• Like 2

My wedding dress is hanging in the back of my closet in a garment bag. I don't really know why I kept it, but I don't have plans to donate it.

Last year my mother shocked me by bringing out her wedding dress during one visit. I had no idea she had kept it. I had only seen it in the single black and white wedding photo. It turned out her dress is pink (it looks white in the photo)! It's bright candy pink, with white lace running down the front. It also turned out that my father's cousin borrowed that dress for her wedding. I've known that cousin all my life and have never heard the story or connected her wedding photo with my mother's dress.

Anyway, my mother gave the dress to my daughter, and it is now hanging in her closet.

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 1

Our parents didn't offer to help pay for our wedding, so dh had to use the few hundred dollars that he'd saved up. So I borrowed a beautiful dress from a co-worker who still had hers, and it was just my size. (Well, except the part up top was a little large for my books, but I made do). We still had a very nice small church wedding. So I didn't have a wedding dress to keep. It's okay, though. It was nice to have everything so simple and affordable for us.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TechWife said:

I have my wedding dress. It stayed at my parent's house until we cleaned it out a couple of years ago and now it is at my house in the back of my closet, preserved in a box. As far as I can tell, it looks good. I doubt I'll ever wear it again, though.

This is me too. I don't know why I still have it. My daughter is 4 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than I was when I got married. She wouldn't want my dress even if she could wear it. I loved it though, so I still have it - silly.

• Like 1

I keep it in a box under the bed. I have no idea what state it's in. I didn't get it specially cleaned or anything. 

It's a light silvery-purple color, so I doubt anyone will want it unless they're also really into that color and its overall style. I don't know how much can be done to re-size that type of bodice, either.

But I like it and I'm keeping it. Maybe I'll pull it out for my daughter or granddaughters to see some day. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rachel said:

I kept mine and paid for the preserving but now I’m not really sure why as I highly doubt my daughter will wear it for her wedding. 

I saw a cute picture of a little girl playing dress up in her mom’s wedding dress on pinterest. I thought about doing something similar and then donating it to a local lady who uses the fabric for burial gowns for stillborn babies. 

Do you have any idea how to find someone that does this?  I would happily donate my gown tomorrow to someone who provides this incredibly sweet and thoughtful service.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, purpleowl said:

I sold mine at a consignment shop, pretty soon after the wedding. I'd had zero interest in wearing my mom's wedding dress (dated, not "me," and I think it would've been too small), and I figured the same would be true for my own daughters (and at the time I didn't even know if I would have any daughters). I didn't want to pay to have it preserved, and I didn't want it to take up space in our small apartment. It made sense to go ahead and consign it while it was a current style.

I will accept my award for least sentimental poster now, lol.

My parents paid for mine to be preserved, in fact I am not sure I even knew it was being done.  It was years before my mother gave it to me (cause she didn't want my stuff in her house).

However, I do wish I had done what you did.  I am becoming far less sentimental the older I get and I really like your practical approach.

I have mine, but it is something that I could theoretically have worn again.  It's not a traditional wedding dress at all, it's a lilac coloured cheongsam.  As it happens, I've never been invited to the right kind of thing.  It's pretty classic though and suits dd13's colouring so I think I will hold on to it.

A new, typical wedding dress, I might not have kept.  If it was antique and very classic, maybe for my girls.

• Like 1

Oh, another idea for donation - my sister had a pretty traditional, very structured wedding gown.  She donated it to the costume department at the dance school of my other sister.  They pretty much took it apart, but something that well made and constructed was very useful for them, and we see a few bits of it every year in the Christmas production.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Do you have any idea how to find someone that does this?  I would happily donate my gown tomorrow to someone who provides this incredibly sweet and thoughtful service.

Here is a national program: https://www.nicuhelpinghands.org/programs/angel-gown-program/

The lady in my area does it on her own but she only accepts gowns at certain times.  I know there are more programs out there so you could also try searching gowns for stillborns and your town or state. I think it is such a sweet things for the parents. 

• Thanks 1

I still have mine. I plan on taking it apart some day and making something out of it for each of my kids. I waffle back and forth on what to make which is why it hasn't yet happened.

• Like 1

As I said  above, my dress is hanging in my closet.   I have 5 daughters who have little hope of being taller than me (even though I'm short) so maybe (at least) one of my girls will want to wear it.

• Like 1

I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago. DH wants to keep it. It’s store in a plastic bag, still looks good. I would love to make it into a baptism gown but it’s ivory😔

• Like 1

I got tired of moving it after the 8th move, so I kept parts of it. I cut the front of it, all the detail, away from the skirt/back with the goal of making a wall hanging of it. I’m envisioning a 12x24 or 36 inch wrapped canvas style thing. Of course, that was 2 moves ago and I’ve still done nothing with the fabric. 😂

• Like 1

I have it.  I LOOOOVE my dress.  I wish I could fit into it, I would probably wear it around the house I love it that much.  And yes, it's a traditional white dress, but I just looooove it soooo much.  No, I won't ever use it.  I don't have girls and don't have anyone to pass it onto to.  But I can't part with it.  And this is from someone who can pretty much leave any "things" behind.

I do put the veil  on once every blue moon.....yes, I am that crazy!

ETA:  I am very much willing to part with the cathedral train that it came with.  I never used it and have no need for it.  But I don't think anyone would want just that one part

Edited by SereneHome
  • Like 1

I have not read all the replies, so forgive me if someone else has shared a similar idea.

I still have mine, preserved (hopefully!) in a box.  I learned of an organization called Angel Gowns that takes wedding dresses and makes them into burial attire for infants.  These are donated to families.  The first outfit they make is designed to reflect the “style” of your dress.  So that you can definitely tell that it was crafted from your dress.  After that, all remaining materials are incorporated as needed into other burial outfits.  As far as I can tell, there is no overarching organization for this group.  I found one in my state by searching on FB with the words “Angel Gowns - name of my state.” I contacted them awhile back, but they were not receiving any gowns at the time.  Their space for storage is limited. I was told I could send it in February, so I recently recontacted them again, and was told that, yes, I could send it anytime in February.  

You bear the costs of mailing the gown to them.  If you desire, they will send you via email photos of the first outfit made from your gown.  They will also post it to FB if you so desire. You can submit a photo of your gown as well and they will post that alongside the burial outfit they create.  Before shipping, you are welcome to cut a piece from the hem if you want something to keep.  I plan to to do this in the hopes that it might be somehow incorporated into either a ring bearer’s pillow or perhaps a Christening gown for a future grandchild. If neither of those things happen, I won’t get my feelings hurt. 

• Like 1