Menu

Let's talk CBD oil

MercyA

I found this Neurotherapeutics article interesting:

Cannabidiol as a Potential Treatment for Anxiety Disorders

From the abstract: Cannabidiol (CBD), a Cannabis sativa constituent, is a pharmacologically broad-spectrum drug that in recent years has drawn increasing interest as a treatment for a range of neuropsychiatric disorders...We found that existing preclinical evidence strongly supports CBD as a treatment for generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive–compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder when administered acutely; however, few studies have investigated chronic CBD dosing. Likewise, evidence from human studies supports an anxiolytic role of CBD, but is currently limited to acute dosing, also with few studies in clinical populations. Overall, current evidence indicates CBD has considerable potential as a treatment for multiple anxiety disorders, with need for further study of chronic and therapeutic effects in relevant clinical populations.

That's all well and good, and I know people IRL who take CBD oil for back pain, for panic disorder, and for depression. However, the dosage range suggested in the journal article (300-600 mg / day) is FAR above what it would be possible for most people to afford or even find in the over-the-counter products currently available, which tend to range from 1 mg. (!) to 15 mg. per dose. I'm wondering if people might be experiencing a placebo effect or if it's truly effective at lower doses. Any experiences to share?

CBD oil is legal in most states, restricted in some, and illegal in three. It usually contains only a negligible amount of THC, if any, and will not produce a high.

• Like 1

I tried a chocolate bar that had 20mg in it and it had a pretty profound effect on me, which I was NOT expecting. I wouldn't take that much at one time again. I was VERY relaxed. I know others that use the vape pens that are smaller doses and maybe it's placebo, but I can tell a difference in their anxiety. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

That's all well and good, and I know people IRL who take CBD oil for back pain, for panic disorder, and for depression. However, the dosage range suggested in the journal article (300-600 mg / day) is FAR above what it would be possible for most people to afford or even find in the over-the-counter products currently available, which tend to range from 1 mg. (!) to 15 mg. per dose. I'm wondering if people might be experiencing a placebo effect or if it's truly effective at lower doses. Any experiences to share?

CBD oil is legal in most states, restricted in some, and illegal in three. It usually contains only a negligible amount of THC, if any, and will not produce a high.

I don't have experience taking CBD oil but I discussed it with my pain management doctor recently. He feels it's more effective for things like anxiety and seizures but says he hasn't seen many of his patients who tried it getting noticeable relief. And as you said it's expensive. In his experience it wasn't giving his patients any better relief than the much cheaper OTC pain medications. 

He did talk to me about medical marijuana but I have no interest in that. I know they say the THC is negligible but I'm just not interested. As for my experience with fully "functional" cannabis, let's just say I came of age in the 1970's 😉 and I don't want to go back there. 😂 Even if I lived in a state where it was legal for recreation I wouldn't partake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dd has tried it for her chronic migraines, and did feel some muscles in her back relax, but it didn't help her headaches.  My ds is taking it for sleep and calming.  He said it really seemed to help his sleep!  I don't know about calming anxiety though.  One of my best friends takes medical marijuana that she bakes into brownies.  (She does this legally with a prescription.)  She has anxiety.  All she needs is a very small amount of a brownie each day, maybe 1/4 of it.  Is it a placebo effect?  Not sure.  I think the cost of the medical marijuana is probably cheaper than buying the expensive CBD oil.

• Thanks 1

That article is a review of 49 studies into CBD.  So that it's not suggesting dosages, but rather reporting on the effect of different doses.  But it does state, that most studies have used high doses, and that their is a need for more studies using low doses.  But that article was published in 2015, so that their maybe more recent studies. Using low doses. which is what most people use. Given the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CBD is fairly commonly used by people on the cancer board I belong to, and they swear that it helps with anxiety, sleep (maybe because it helps with anxiety?), pain and nausea. Personally, I'm always leery when something supposedly helps with a vast array of issues. But I figure CBD is like any supplement--it may help (whether something in it really is beneficial or through the placebo effect) or it may do nothing at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Attolia said:

I simply want to know where to find legit CBD oil.  I would love for DS to try it for his crohns.

These articles were helpful to me: 

https://www.organicauthority.com/energetic-health/cbd-buying-guide

http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/cbd-oil-sales-are-exploding-in-indiana-but-how-do/article_de1bdcc4-9021-11e8-af8b-739878000438.html

This is generally recommended to be a good product by people I know and by nutritionists in my area: 

https://pluscbdoil.com/

This product is interesting because it's water-soluble instead of oil-based:

https://www.ojaienergetics.com/

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I have used CBD oil in the past and it has definitely helped with sleep and anxiety. It is expensive. A small bottle with a dropper is about $90 where I am. That will last about a month.

I have moved on to recreational marijuana. I use a vape pen and a strain that is just for relaxing. I guess there are strains for feeling energetic but I just cant imagine that haha. For a deep sense of body relaxation, use Indica, for a more energetic response use  Sativa. There are also blends. The cartridge for the vape pen is about $65 and that will last about 2 weeks depending on usage.

It is expensive but I like it better than taking a prescription that has side effects. I also smile a bit to myself when everyone in work talks about going home and drinking a bottle of wine after a stressful day, or gift each other bottles of booze, but the thought of marijuana shocks them. I know there is a stigma around it being a "drug" but I find it no more harmful or effective than a glass of wine but without the calories or hangover the next day. 

My sister has a lot of pain with arthritis and I finally got her to try the vape pen and she says it makes a HUGE difference with the pain. Her joints would hurt so bad she used to wake up in the middle of the night practically crying. At first she too was horrified at the concept of "smoking pot" but now she takes one little puff before going to bed (she reacts very strongly to medicine so she only uses a little) and sleeps perfectly through the night.

I think as marijuana starts to become legal in more states people will start to use it more for medical reasons. To me it's a win/win: I get relief from anxiety, sleep better, have no side effects and no groggy feeling the next day, and it makes watching Netflix in bed so much more fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Home'scool said:

I think as marijuana starts to become legal in more states people will start to use it more for medical reasons. To me it's a win/win: I get relief from anxiety, sleep better, have no side effects and no groggy feeling the next day, and it makes watching Netflix in bed so much more fun!

I definitely support the legalization of marijuana. Like you, I don't see it as being much different than alcohol. Unfortunately, it's not yet legal in my state, not even for medical reasons. 

LOL about Netflix. 😊

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I support legalization of recreational marijuana even though I wouldn't use it if it was. I am however, skeptical of its medical uses because something that is touted as a cure all is usually ineffective and the benefits are minimal in most cases. It may very well be beneficial for some conditions but until the beneficial compounds are standardized for dosing it's hard to know what it works for and how much is needed for benefits to be seen.

Part of the problem I think is the lack of studies. Because it's still illegal at the federal level it's difficult for researchers to be able to study it. They can't get it and they can't get participants. I think even if it isn't legalized for widespread use anytime soon it should at least be legalized for legitimate studies. 

• Thanks 1

My husband bought some CBD oil for sleep/anxiety, and it made no difference or made his insomnia worse. He is not a fan.

However, I have been using it for the last week in very small amounts (half a dropper-full or less) at bedtime. I originally tried it for sleep (I does give me restful sleep with no "high" or grogginess), but I have noticed that I wake up without my usual arthritis pain (feet, neck, hands). A small bottle costs $80 in our area. At this rate, my bottle will last at least a couple of months. I have never used any type of marijuana or recreational drugs, and I don't drink alcohol, so maybe I'm sensitive. I have been pleasantly surprised with my results, especially since it wasn't intended for me in the first place. I'm in WA state, where marijuana is legal and there are a lot of shops now. Many customers use CBD and other marijuana extracts for chronic pain, anxiety, sleep disorders, and cancer care.

• Thanks 1

I have been using it for almost 2 months now. I didn’t think it was making much of a difference at first, but I can tell the difference in my sleep now (thanks Fitbit) and my morning back pain is much less. I have also found I deal with stress much better (my kids say this- and they don’t want me to run out) so it’s working better than I thought. 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Their has been a lot research into how CBD oil works.
Basically how it works? Is that signals are sent from each nerve cell to the next. From one end of the nerve, to the other end of the nerve.
When the signal is recieved at the other end? It sends a message back, "Message Recieved".  Otherwise. the message will be Resent.

Though what often occurs, is that this 'Message Recieved' signal, isn't being sent back.
So that a 'Pain Signal', is continually resent. Causing chronic pain.
Also with Anxiety, this is a natural alert system to 'Danger'.  Once alerted. it should stop being sent.
With Seizures. they are basically caused. By a signal in the brain, being sent 'over and over again',

But each Nerve Cell, has CBD Receptors.  Which become active when CBD is available to them.
What these CBD Receptors do, is reinforce the 'Message Recieved' signal.
Which will inhibit the Pain signal, or Anxiety signal. Also inhibit the signal causing a Seizure.

So that it's not a 'Cure'. But it can reduce the symptoms caused, when Nerves go into a Loop mode. Of repeatedly sending signals.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ravin said:

I'm going to order CBD oil capsules from Bluebird Botanicals for DD. I'll post how they work for her once we try them.

I’d love to know! I have chronic pain and try to stay away from opioids.

• Like 1

Okay, peeps. I tried a dose of the Ojai Energetics product. It contained a little over 8 mg of CBD; supposedly it's approximately 20x more "bioavailable" than other products by virtue of being water-soluble instead of fat-based. I felt no effects. Zero, zip, nada. Not sleepiness or relaxation. I also slept horribly but that could have been the result of me having too much caffeine that day.

I'll try more later and report back. Not tonight, though--I need a good night's sleep and I don't want to experiment!

DH and I have tried Bluebird Complete CBD oil- used about half the bottle between the 2 of us- and have to take two droppers full (about 20-25mg) to feel any calming.  We are both using for stress and anxiety. 

Neither of us will take it at night anymore- gives both of us vivid dreams and I slept terribly all 3 nights I took it.  YMMV but since Mercy mentioned it I thought I’d comment as well...

It’s not the powerhouse I expected it to be and not much more help so far than Theanine Serene or a similar multifaceted stress blend with GABA. But I’m using a somewhat mild dose from all that I’ve read.

I’m in CO so have all manner of things easily available and have several clients (am massage therapist) who use topical creams for chronic pain. 

• Thanks 1

Our bodies have a number of binding sites for CBD and THC but our primary receptors that bind endocannabinoids are CB1 and CB2 receptors. A ton is known about CB1. This receptor exists primarily in your nervous system and heavily in our central nervous system and it binds THC. When CBD oil is extracted, THC is removed. CB2 receptors primarily exist in our gut/GI tract and bind CBD. The mechanism of action for cannabinoids is by blocking the reversible binding...basically leaving more cannabinoid around to bind to receptors. There is alot less research on CB2 receptors than CB1 but keep in mind CBD oil is primarily binding to CB2 and not many of those are in our brain. Ingesting or smoking marijuana will be activating both receptor types and provides the psychotropic effects since it is in higher quantity and concentration than our endogenous cannabinoids (the ones already in our body meant to activate those receptors). I would be weary of believing it has an effect on anxiety if only in CBD form. If it does, then it is probably acting through a mechanism in the peripheral nervous system at best. Also, consider the compensatory response when taking anything for anxiety. You provide the ligand (like THC or CBD) to act in a higher concentration on your receptor. Our bodies strive for homeostasis so it feels alot of this ligand resulting in a breakdown and clearing of some of our receptors to reset. Now the effect you feel from the normal dose is less (tolerance) and if you suddenly stop taking it your receptors have been altered and there are not enough binding sites to now feel our normal level of endogenous cannabinoids which leads to the exact issue you were trying to treat. 

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

An update: I tried a higher dose of the water-soluble Ojai Energetics product--this time 3 times the "standard" dose, or about 25 mg. CBD. I felt energetic, clear-minded, and slightly more relaxed. It didn't make me sleepy. I don't feel that it would have made me relaxed enough to be anxiety-reducing. So basically, I'd say it made me feel like I'd had a really good big cup of coffee. It's a lot pricier than coffee! 😉 

My OCD is severe enough that I really need to be medicated, and I don't think CBD oil is going to cut it. It was worth a try, though.

Best to all! 

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

In Al it is only legal for seizures so I haven't tried it.  

TravelingChris, this is not accurate. CBD oil made from industrial hemp is legal. They can concentrate CBD from both types of cannabis plant. https://www.al.com/news/2018/12/alabama-ag-says-some-cbd-from-hemp-now-legal.html

So far, DD has tried the CBD capsules twice. The second time was last Sunday, and she commented that she thought it was making a difference, because we were doing a cookie booth and she was on her feet a lot, etc., and wasn't getting sore as fast as usual. For now we are keeping it for use on days that we expect to be particularly taxing, because it's expensive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much, Ravin.   I thought I remembered something about it now being okay to use CBD from hemp but I searched google and couldn't find that story.   I have zero idea why google AI didn't pull up that story.

I actually am one of the old fogies who still subscribes to the newspaper (which is published by the people who do al.com  and I also regularly look at their website, nextdoor neighbor, local news websites, and yellowhammer news to find out about news in my state.    But I can read things easily and not remember where it came from especially if I had bad brain fog in between.

1 hour ago, Ravin said:

TravelingChris, this is not accurate. CBD oil made from industrial hemp is legal. They can concentrate CBD from both types of cannabis plant. https://www.al.com/news/2018/12/alabama-ag-says-some-cbd-from-hemp-now-legal.html

So far, DD has tried the CBD capsules twice. The second time was last Sunday, and she commented that she thought it was making a difference, because we were doing a cookie booth and she was on her feet a lot, etc., and wasn't getting sore as fast as usual. For now we are keeping it for use on days that we expect to be particularly taxing, because it's expensive!

So what brand of CBD capsules are you getting or is it compounded locally?

48 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Thank you so much, Ravin.   I thought I remembered something about it now being okay to use CBD from hemp but I searched google and couldn't find that story.   I have zero idea why google AI didn't pull up that story.

I actually am one of the old fogies who still subscribes to the newspaper (which is published by the people who do al.com  and I also regularly look at their website, nextdoor neighbor, local news websites, and yellowhammer news to find out about news in my state.    But I can read things easily and not remember where it came from especially if I had bad brain fog in between.

So what brand of CBD capsules are you getting or is it compounded locally?

Bluebird Botanicals, as I said upthread.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I vape CBD oil. Yes, it's not cheap, but I like it. Feel much better and relaxed while doing that. Read an article on VapingDaily about how long does it stay in a human body. Quite interesting. I didn't know that a person can fail a drug test after consuming it. 

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, Ravin said:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article225554495.html

Unfortunately, the laws are not consistent or clear.  Although some items are federally legal, they are not legal in Texas.  If there is any trace of THC, you can be prosecuted in the state of Texas.  

• 3 years later...

Hey! A zombie thread started by me! 

FWIW, CBD oil didn't cut it for my level of OCD. It just made me feel a little more energetic but not really less anxious.

But, if anyone is interested in trying CBD oil, Ojai Energetics has a very generous return policy and what I believe to be a very good product.

10 minutes ago, Reflectorsch said:

Is it better to get edibles or oil? I don't like smoking and prefer something that you don't have to inhale.

Welcome to the forum! I notice that you have been resurrecting old threads here, and that's not really encouraged. (We call them Zombie threads.)

Why not just start new threads about topics that interest you? 

• Like 1

Cannabis is good when you know how and when to use it. It’s like a medication that should be taken carefully and not messed up with.
It is dangerous because any addiction is dangerous. Still, it is better to consume this stuff than some painkillers that are, in fact, liver or kidney killers. There are so many forms of cannabis in weed store and top Burlington dispensary that you don’t need to necessary smoke it to get the effect. You can buy some edibles or CBD oil and use it instead. There is a great choice of such things that can reduce anxiety and pains, like back pain.

Edited by textilexst

• 3 weeks later...