Menu

Has anyone made or seen felted wool purses?

You might try searching "fulled" instead of "felted" -- sometimes "felted" is used for both, but technically felting is using plain wool and fulling is what you do to wool that has been spun and knitted (or crocheted or woven) to shrink it down and matte it together.

I googled "fulled bags" and came up with several sites... Some of them expect you to knit your own bags first, then full them, but it's definitely possible to do this with thrift-store sweaters (minimum 80% wool or other animal hair).

I made one! I have always loved boiled wool things, and got brave and designed and made one this past spring. I wanted it to be for carrying around a knitting project with me. I love it, but can't quite figure out how to post pictures of it right now. Check out my blog in my signature. I will try to post pictures of it there later today.

I have a box of thrift store sweaters that I *fulled* (Thank you, Abbey) last year and are waiting for me to make them into something. Now what? I'm glad someone else is asking about this! I need to start making things out of all the material and craft supplies I bring home! I did see a very cute fulled purse in a boutique last week. I'm starting to feel inspired. I can't wait to find some ideas on exactly how to carry it out.

I made one, too. If you cut the sweater right you only need to sew the bottom seam- you make a u-shaped cut around the neck and then a u-shaped cut around both arms. These make the shoulder straps. Sew up the bottom and embellish. WTMindys' is WAAy cute! Mine is a boring brown that I added eyeslash and a snazzy button too.

A friend of mine saw these at a craft show. They were made out of wool sweaters. They sound easy to make, but I can't find a website. Has anyone seen these or made them yourselves. I'd love to find out more about them and see if I could make one. They'd be great gifts!

Yes. My mother has just started making them. They are so very cute. I want one.

I also saw Martha Stewart use the same process to make children's sweaters. So, she might have some information on her site.

A friend of mine saw these at a craft show. They were made out of wool sweaters. They sound easy to make, but I can't find a website. Has anyone seen these or made them yourselves. I'd love to find out more about them and see if I could make one. They'd be great gifts!

I made one a while back. It's from the knit one felt one too book.

I want to make these --if time permits before this Christmas! Or maybe next. . . .

http://carolbristoldesigns.com/ Felted Mini Purses (look at the slides, the picture comes up.)

Love the knitted bags! DD knitted and felted a couple of hats for her sisters and they were so easy for her. She also made me a "mat" for my dresser top to display seashells :) She does grumble that felting ruins her knitting...all the stitches disappear :( We should gather some sweaters and felt them since she won't have all that knitting time invested in them ;) Thanks for all the good ideas and links.

Wow! I can't believe the responses. I've been gone all day and just checked back on the board. You women are talented. I love the purses Amber and Windy made. Mine will not be quite so creative, but the poster (can't remember who right now) that gave the website for the purse that just cuts the neck and arms off is exactly what I was looking for. Now if I can just find some old wool sweaters! I hope this turns out. They'll make such great gifts if they do. Thanks everyone!

Thanks ladies! Here is the pattern - I used Cascade 220 in a bright orange for the leaf though. It's done in intarsia and the whole thing is felted. Interesting you should mention needle felting the leaf though - it didn't felt as thoroughly as the rest of the piece and I wondered if I could "touch it up" with needle felting. Does that make sense? I'm really into felting lately!

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTmaple.html

Thanks ladies! Here is the pattern - I used Cascade 220 in a bright orange for the leaf though. It's done in intarsia and the whole thing is felted. Interesting you should mention needle felting the leaf though - it didn't felt as thoroughly as the rest of the piece and I wondered if I could "touch it up" with needle felting. Does that make sense? I'm really into felting lately!

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTmaple.html

Yes, you can touch it up w/needle felting. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the pattern! :001_smile: