Menu

how else can I arrange furniture in my living room?

caedmyn

Our new living room is a big square room, and I can't quite figure out how to arrange my couch/loveseat/easy chair combo.  It just doesn't work to put the furniture on the side of the room where the piano is because of the entrances/natural walkway, and the big picture window takes up most of the wall on the other side which makes furniture placement awkward.  I prefer putting couches etc against walls but the room is too big for that to work well.

15467294399034289627222036660251.jpg

20190105_104811.jpg

15467293597596619357532524324086.jpg

Edited by caedmyn

I think the placement is fine, it just needs to be defined as a space.  It needs an area rug either in the area of the couches or the area with the piano to help separate the thought of it being one big room instead of how you have it: one living room and one pass-through/play area.

ETA: are you putting a tv in there?  Then I'd switch the pieces around, having the couch where the chair is, the loveseat where the couch is, and I'd probably get the two chairs out of the room entirely if I couldn't get the armchair back in comfortably. 

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 2

I don't think it's bad the way it is, but I do have two suggestions you could try.

First, I think it would be fine to place your couch with it's back to the window, so that the seating area would face the other direction, if that would feel better to you. You don't have to smush the couch right against the window -- you could leave a gap big enough for someone to walk behind, so that the window still seems unobstructed. I have an awkward family room, and my couch is against the picture window, and it's fine visually. It would make a big difference, also, if you added drapes to that window, so that it looks like the feature wall of the room.

The second thing that you could try is to keep the furniture aligned the way that it is, but pull the couch back,  farther away from the window and more towards the piano side of the room. Then also slide the chair and love seat back away from the window a bit. It looks like your furniture is kind of hugging the window, and if you pull it back some, it will look more like you are using the whole space of the room, instead.

I agree with an area rug. I added one to my awkward room, and it really pulls things together.

Also agree with adding some end tables and a coffee table or big ottoman in the middle of the furniture arrangement.

• Like 1

I would probably center the couch on the wall where the love seat currently is. Move the love seat opposite it. Use the two chairs at angles where the couch currently is. It seems like it would open it up to the room more. Right now, it's too close to the picture window wall and the big back of the couch cuts off the rest of the room. 

I also agree with a rug and some tables would help. 

• Like 3

How big is the entire room? Will there be any other furniture like a tv or coffee table? How is the room going to be used? 

If you want easier access to the seating, I would try switching the couch to the wall where the chair (under the mirrors?) or the love seat is currently. 

It looks like a pretty large room but another possibility would be moving the piano to where the mirrors are and putting the love seat or the chair near the shelf.  I’d do that if you anticipate the kids playing in there a lot and the kids like to be near you when they play. It really depends on how big the room is though, if it is too big that may look strange. 

for starters - you want the seating area to be inviting from the room, to "invite" people to come and want to sit down.  that will mean a 'wide' walk way between at least two pieces of furniture so a person doesn't feel like they have to squeeze through an obstacle course in order to sit down.

I would probably put the big sofa either where the loveseat is (pulling it out of the corner -which could be a good place for a table -, and away from the wall so it feels more centered.),

move the rocker completely  (we'll get to that later.)

you can put the leather chair at a 90 degree angle to the sofa.

then across the room - the loveseat with the rocker at an angle. 

leave space between the chairs.  make people feel welcome into the space.  if there's a nice wide path - people will be curious to go look at your view, and then they will feel 'invited' to sit down.

55 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

I would probably center the couch on the wall where the love seat currently is. Move the love seat opposite it. Use the two chairs at angles where the couch currently is. It seems like it would open it up to the room more. Right now, it's too close to the picture window wall and the big back of the couch cuts off the rest of the room. 

I also agree with a rug and some tables would help. 

I was going to write exactly this and see that beckyjo beat me to it. The back of the long couch to the room is unnerving.    

I’d even try out having the rocking chair be placed so it’s right in front of that big window.  One could sit on that chair and turn it to look out the window if one is alone reading a book, or turn it toward the room if one is talking to others. It might not work, but I’d try it out to see after I’d moved the leather furniture around.

I also agree with others that a rug to define the seating area would be nice.  Then a coffee table, a few end tables, and maybe a plant by the window would be nice.

Edited by Garga

I can’t tell from the picture—can the love seat and single leather chair sit side-by-side against one wall?  I’d probably try that out to see if it works, unless the wall is clearly not long enough (I can’t quite tell from the picture.). The couch could be against one wall, and the loveseat/single chair facing it against the other wall, with the rocking chair where the couch is now.

I would move the piano to a corner of the large window at an angle.  Put the wooden chair next to it. Move loveseat to where piano is currently and make that a reading nook with table and lamp.  Have sofa opposite piano for balance open up the furniture more. I think rugs and tables would look nice.

I would take the rocking chair out if possible.  I like the idea of putting the love seat and big leather chair together- only angle them towards each other and not right up against the wall.    I would then try the couch both where it is now or up against the window (we had that once).   Put the 3 items closer together - they're too far apart from each other the way they currently are.   Then there would be more of a walk-way for the piano.

Or.. put the leather chair and loveseat at an angle on the wall... and then put the couch in more of a V shape - widest part towards the window.  Not a complete right-angle V but more subtle.  

I admit I haven't read all the replies because they wouldn't allow for skimming -- I'd have to mentally process each and every one.  Edited to add: I did read through them and didn't see anything exactly like I'm describing, although something close in one of the replies.  So here's another idea for you (and what I have done recently):

First, get over the need to put furniture up against a wall.  I have done that and have found that I love it!  It makes a room feel more spacious without having the furniture far apart.  You get both spaciousness and better coziness/conversation positioning. 

Next, put the couch on the side of the window where the chair currently is. Have its left arm be in the area of the left side of the window; it could even come "into" the window up to a foot or so.  That will give you a bit of space behind the couch for a possible rocking chair nook (see later), or a table with some plants on it, or a bookshelf, or something. What goes there is secondary to the placement of the three large pieces.  Then I would pull the loveseat in from the wall to be to the right side of the window what the couch is to the left side of the window.  You want them aligning with the window in the same spot on their respective sides. Then put the chair at a 90* angle to the left arm of the loveseat, in other words looking out the window with the right arm of the chair and the left arm of the loveseat almost (if not) touching.  That leaves room to the left of the chair for entering the space.  You can play with the placement of the loveseat -- not in relation to how it hits the window where the couch does, but AT the window, or pulled away from it (which would move the chair back, too). I think you'll have to pull the loveseat away from the window so that the chair isn't in front of the couch at all.   If the love seat is pulled away from the window, that space between it and the window could be either for a side table or another way to enter the space.  I would put a low coffee table in there, too, because having a place to set things is nice. | All that said, you could flip-flop this idea.  If the long couch would look better where the loveseat is now, put it over there and put the loveseat/chair combo on the other side, arranged as described.

Finally, the rocking chair just needs to go elsewhere I think -- not be part of this particular seating space. Since you already have seating for 6-8 in there, do you need more? Use it to create a reading nook somewhere perhaps. 

We used to have our couch across from two cushy chairs on either side of our fireplace (we got two chairs instead of a loveseat).  To get the Christmas tree set up in a corner, we had to rearrange and so we left the couch on one side, but put the chairs as described above with the loveseat/chair -- at a 90* angle to each other with one facing the couch and one facing the fireplace.  We love it so much!  We're probably going to leave it like this even after the Christmas tree is gone.  I hope this makes sense.  If it seems to appeal to you, let me know and I'll try and upload a picture.  🙂 If you're like, ugh, no that won't work, then I won't go through the effort of doing so. 😉 The one detriment I can think of that may make this whole idea not work is that the loveseat is longer than our chair, so there may not be enough space to make this work well (although it does look like a large room).

Edited by milovany

What would happen if you put the couch at an angle with it's back to the corner between the two windows? Then angled the chairs across from the couch.  It feels a little like the couch is shunning the rest of the house and blocking off the seating area rather than drawing you in to it.  

I think you should try every configuration we suggest, photograph it, then create a poll.  🤩

ETA:  Looking at the age of your kids, I wouldn't have ANY furniture backing up to that window.  One flying leap and it's a disaster.

Edited by KungFuPanda
reality
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, history-fan said:

I would move the piano to a corner of the large window at an angle.  Put the wooden chair next to it. Move loveseat to where piano is currently and make that a reading nook with table and lamp.  Have sofa opposite piano for balance open up the furniture more. I think rugs and tables would look nice.

19 minutes ago, milovany said:

I admit I haven't read all the replies because they wouldn't allow for skimming -- I'd have to mentally process each and every one.  Here is what I would do:

First, get over the need to put furniture up against a wall.  I have done that and have found that I love it!  It makes a room feel more spacious without having the furniture far apart.  You get both spaciousness and better coziness/conversation positioning. 

Next, put the couch on the side of the window where the chair currently is. Have its left arm be in the area of the left side of the window.  If that gives you space behind the couch, you can put a table with some plants on it behind it or something.  Then pull the loveseat in from the wall to be to the right side of the window what the couch is to the left side of the window.  You want them aligning with the window in the same spot on their respective sides ~ unless it would look better if the right arm of the couch and the left arm of the loveseat line up at the same spot instead.  Then (whichever way the couch/loveseat ended up), put the chair at a 90* angle to the left arm of the loveseat, in other words looking out the window with the right arm of the chair and the left arm of the loveseat almost (if not) touching.  That leaves room to the left of the chair for entering the space. If the love seat is pulled away from the window, that space between it and the window could be either for a side table or another way to enter the space.  I would put a low coffee table in there, too, because having a place to set things is nice. The rocking chair just needs to go elsewhere -- you already have seating for 6-8 in there, do you need more? 

We used to have our couch across from two chairs on either side of our fireplace.  To get the Christmas tree set up in a corner, we had to rearrange and so we left the couch on one side, but put the chairs as described above with the loveseat/chair -- at a 90* angle to each other with one facing the couch and one facing the fireplace.  We love it so much!  We're probably going to leave it like this even after the Christmas tree is gone.  I hope this makes sense.  If it seems to appeal to you, let me know and I'll try and upload a picture.  🙂 If you're like, ugh, no that won't work, then I won't go through the effort of doing so. 😉

Either of these.  

Garga said:

Either of these.  

---

Except I've edited several times, LOL! Same basic placement, though, just with more detail; that and I realized that the loveseat should probably be pulled away from the window, when placed as described above, or the chair will be "in front of" part of the couch. 

Edited by milovany

34 minutes ago, history-fan said:

Where does the large cushy chair go?

16 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

Lol...are you volunteering to come move the piano around so I can try all the suggestions?

I'm not offering any helpful help.  😁 Maybe you need a little scale models.  

Here! I gave you a tree! (KungFuPanda makes no promises that this sketch will scale to reality.)

58554721-882E-45D5-AF2C-5F82E498E8BF.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda

I'm not a big fan of rugs on carpet, though I can see how it would help.  I'll have to think about that.  I've thought about end tables or a sofa table, but it seems like they'd look funny without some sort of decor item on them, and those don't survive if they're where the kids can reach them, so tables would have to be bare.  Plus the end tables we used to have got climbed on all the time, and I'm sure it would be the same with any we got.  Lamps wouldn't last here either.

I guess this is sort of an all-purpose room.  The 2 yo plays there a lot, and the other kids a little.  There will be a play yard in there once the baby is crawling.  I was wanting a conversation space but we rarely have company so maybe it makes more sense to split up the furniture.  

I use the rocking chair to nurse the baby so I really don't want to move it out of the room even if it looks a little out of place.

The room is about 18'x19'.  No TV.

Edited by caedmyn
  • Like 1

Much, much better!! I love what you've got going with the piano and rocker and shelves. Keep playing with the couches maybe. I like how they're facing. Do you have a tv in another room or are you no-tv? And are toys, etc. going to migrate into there? 

I hear you on the climbing. My ds so has been a climber.

I'd pull the couch off the wall or bring in some bookshelves on the long wall (so it looks symmetrical and balanced again). Do you anticipate playing board games in there maybe? The use should drive what you add next. Like if you were going to add a Nintendo Switch on that long wall, then that might drive the arrangement. Or if you see them doing puzzles or board games, then maybe a really big coffee table. 

It's a really great size room! Will you put your Christmas tree in there next year?

I may have to get a rug.  I’ll see how it looks once the pictures are hung, and maybe some drapes too.  I saw a little accent table the other day that I wanted to use somewhere, but I think maybe would look funny next to the bulky furniture set.  It was about 12” square, maybe 2.5 feet tall, and had three shelves with a lined woven box on each.

• Like 1

You could look on Craigslist. You have a really big room, and big coffee tables are easy to find right now. You'd probably find accent tables too, anything you want. My room is kind of similar, and it inhales furniture. I just picked up a chair and a bench to use as a coffee table off Craiglist. 

1 hour ago, caedmyn said:

How about this?

15467467133461161173483847486587.jpg

It looks nice!! Very similar to what I was thinking. If it were me, I would center the window between the love seat and couch, by pulling the couch forward  to just inside the window’s edge, and move the loveseat back a little bit. Do you happen to know if there’s wood under that carpet? I am like you, don’t love carpet on carpet.  If there’s wood under there, I would rip the carpet out {swoon}! I like the placement of the chair, I would make it a complete 90° angle instead of 45°, but that may just be me. Plus  I don’t know how much space there is behind the chair.  You’ve worked hard tonight!  Good job.  

Re: My photo, if it shows up. This is my (messy!) couch with the plant table behind it. I now think I need more plants. 

image.jpg

Edited by milovany