Menu

Nancy Larson Science Reviews

I never had a chance to use it, but have a friend who absolutely loved it. She loved the hands-on aspects and especially how clearly everything was laid out in the Teacher's Manual. She used it for at least 3 years (I know the last year her son was in 7th and she debated whether he was too old for it, but he liked it & it worked for her teaching style, so she did it again.) Hope you get some first-hand responses!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Seems no one has made it past grade 1. I can see 1st grade science being boring. I’m looking at 4th and 5th, though. No takers except Merry’s friend?

It wasn't just boring. It was mind-numbing and slow. It took the joy out of science and replaced it with simplistic worksheets that complemented an even simpler lesson.  We have used several programs over the years and this was rated even worse than the public school textbook for 1st grade that I had on the shelf.  My kid at least read that willingly.

I'm guessing what draws you to NL is the same thing that appealed to me: hands on, everything in one box, easy to teach....but look closely at the samples and think of yourself saying the script.  I go back every now and then because I really I want to like it.  I just can't.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

It wasn't just boring. It was mind-numbing and slow. It took the joy out of science and replaced it with simplistic worksheets that complemented an even simpler lesson.  We have used several programs over the years and this was rated even worse than the public school textbook for 1st grade that I had on the shelf.  My kid at least read that willingly.

I'm guessing what draws you to NL is the same thing that appealed to me: hands on, everything in one box, easy to teach....but look closely at the samples and think of yourself saying the script.  I go back every now and then because I really I want to like it.  I just can't.

Yep, that is what appeals. But if it is that bad, I am gonna skip. My kids love science. I do not want to kill that.

It's a good program if you need something that just gets it done. Or, like me, you have a kid that adores science but needs a program to fill in the gaps. My kid can hold her own with archeologists and biologists, but ask her to describe the Scientific method? Forget it! NL is helpful in making the knowledge complete. 

• Like 1

We love it.  I used 2nd through 4th for my daughter, and I'm currently using 3rd for my son.  It's thorough, it gets done, and the kids like it.  Everything for the experiments is included. Initially, I was turned off by the scripting as well, but now I find it useful to skim before doing the lesson--just so I get the gist of what we should cover.  

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...