Menu

BP Companion and Remember the Days

wehave8

I find them to be really subpar to be honest. The companion for ancients felt disjointed and I gave up on it and sold it when we went through ancients. I got Remember the Days used for Middle Ages this year and once again, used it only for the first couple of weeks and dropped it. It was dry and although aimed at younger kids, felt not engaging for that age. Sad because I love every other aspect of BP. We just use the other scheduled spines. 

This could just be my own feelings though. If you looked at a sample and liked the layout, it could work as a spine but it isn't very.....thorough? Not sure that is the right word. It just feels incomplete somehow. I cannot quite put my finger on what bothers me about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nixpix5 said:

I find them to be really subpar to be honest. The companion for ancients felt disjointed and I gave up on it and sold it when we went through ancients. I got Remember the Days used for Middle Ages this year and once again, used it only for the first couple of weeks and dropped it. It was dry and although aimed at younger kids, felt not engaging for that age. Sad because I love every other aspect of BP. We just use the other scheduled spines. 

This could just be my own feelings though. If you looked at a sample and liked the layout, it could work as a spine but it isn't very.....thorough? Not sure that is the right word. It just feels incomplete somehow. I cannot quite put my finger on what bothers me about it. 

Interesting. Thanks

We used the Remember the Days last year for year 3. It isn't my favorite ever, but I like the BP program as a whole enough, and thought RTD was just the right enough info, and the right topics, that it worked for us. I did feel like the Companion was so much and a bit disjointed-- though most textbooks spines are to me....we supplemented with it, but didn't use it as a spine the years we did use it. 

10 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

We used the Remember the Days last year for year 3. It isn't my favorite ever, but I like the BP program as a whole enough, and thought RTD was just the right enough info, and the right topics, that it worked for us. I did feel like the Companion was so much and a bit disjointed-- though most textbooks spines are to me....we supplemented with it, but didn't use it as a spine the years we did use it. 

I'm hearing 'disjointed' from 2 of you now. I was hoping these 2 books might be the 'connector' not the disjointers. Hmmmm

4 hours ago, wehave8 said:

I'm hearing 'disjointed' from 2 of you now. I was hoping these 2 books might be the 'connector' not the disjointers. Hmmmm

It's hard to explain but it is like....filler chunks of information I would say (in the companion). Random boxes of picture and text about various topics. That is how I felt about it atleast.

RTD is more story/sequential-like than the companion but doesn't feel as engaging as SOTW or MoH IMO. We have only used the companion for ancients and RTD for middle ages though so I cannot speak to the other levels.