Menu

House update

DawnM

I know you are all sitting around just waiting for an update from me! 😂

• Dh has spent most of this week repairing two leaks in our pipes......12 years of living here and NO issues and then wham, as soon as we want to leave.....ARGH!  (two rooms with drywall taken out, 3 huge holes in the yard (that seriously look like we are digging up the bodies so the new owners don't find them!)
  • Contractor is starting Monday on repairs.
  • We have taken 4 or 5 more loads to the storage unit.  Today, while I am gone, youngest will start packing up his room and tossing, keeping, etc....with his stuff.  Tomorrow we will pack up oldest's room.  He didn't do it over break and I am taking him back to college today.  
  • Landscaper is coming over MLK weekend to work on the yard.  He is a friend, so he will stay overnight, etc.....as he lives 3 hours away.
  • House is still slated to get on the market Feb. 2nd weekend!
  • We were finally able to see some homes.  4 were duds and we ALL loved the 5th one.  It suited most our needs/wants and the minor things it didn't have I can live with.  Hoping it will still be there when our house sells.  It has been on the market 120 days, so it is a possibility!
  • I have secured financing for pre-approval, based on using the equity from this house.
  • DH and I talked about prices and HE is the one pushing for spending more and getting something we are in love with vs. just moving a little to be closer but being very "meh" about it.  He is the tightwad, so, YAY!
  • Realtor was very complementary to the changes we have made in our house and thinks we can get higher than I had anticipated.  We will see.....not holding my breath.
Edited by DawnM
  • Like 16

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

Oh I hope that fifth house is still available.  Can you not put in an offer contingent on selling your own home, is that just too far out?

How much over your desired budget is that one or is it right in range?  You could potentially offer higher than asking to sweeten the deal on a lengthy close.

No, we won't offer until we have an offer.  And we are actually hoping it is still available and they come down a little.  Houses for the same price vary in how great they are, but we do plan to at least look at a few more before deciding for sure.  However, if they came down a bit, that might solidify our decision.

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I don’t usually suggest buying before a place is sold either but if you love it that much it might be worth a gamble.  Depends on how low inventory is, I suppose? Either way, ideally it will still be available when you can put on an offer 🙏

We love it, but I keep telling myself it is also the only one we have really seen in that price range (higher than we thought we would spend).  We did see one other in the higher price range Thur but it was an immediate no.  

Just now, Arctic Mama said:

ME TOO.  It doesn’t have to be an official as-built house plan, draw it roughly to scale on a paper towel for all I care.  I just want a snapshot of how the rooms relate to one another.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

ME TOO.  It doesn’t have to be an official as-built house plan, draw it roughly to scale on a paper towel for all I care.  I just want a snapshot of how the rooms relate to one another.

Interesting.  None of our realtors ever suggested putting our plan online.  And of course, several of the features that are important to me in our current home (accessible main floor) they seem to care less about and haven't listed.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Goodness, I am the same way!  We are in a really small house right now that we bought (and hopefully will rent out once we put out house in VA on the market and sell it), so I am always glancing at what is on the market here in OH to see.  When I see a house I like, I am constantly going back and forth between the outside pictures and the inside ones to see what windows are where to try to get an idea of where the rooms are and how they flow into each other.  I always wish for a floor plan!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Why don't all listings put their layout plan on there?  I am a global thinker and need the big picture and not snapshots of rooms randomly,.  Drives me nuts.

So much, Yes!!  I completely agree. Random photos of rooms with no notion of where they go in the house.  Frustrating!!

I'm glad you're making such great progress.  So excited for you. I know you've wanted to do this for a long time.

• Like 1

I drove my son to school today (8 hours R/T) and now that he is gone, I will be packing up his room tomorrow! 😜

He is a collector of things so I got the hard sided large totes so that I can pack carefully and nothing will get damaged.  I may need a few more.  

• Like 1