Menu

Wedding expenses and expectations - past and present

Ginevra

5 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

we won’t go into debt or do anything we really can’t afford but I am mentally preparing to pay more than we would like so our future daughters in law and family don’t start out with hard feelings. 

That was what got my husband very annoyed with his mom. Expecting him to go into debt for a wedding banquet she wanted. That put all negotiations and compromise off the table. My husband was 31 years old at that time and felt his mom was speaking to him like a toddler 😛 His dad at least was able to feel the tension and kept his mouth shut. What was awkward was that my MIL offered my parents 30 guest spaces for the wedding banquet but that cost would be borne by my husband, so a minimum of 

Husband’s sister and her spouse wanted a simple wedding reception and her in-laws wanted more wedding guests.  That was easy to compromise as her in-laws paid for the extra guests and top up for a bigger venue. Her in-laws are blunt but easy to get along with. They just say what they want and then negotiate, no beating around the bushes and no power play.

Husband’s brother had a church wedding and traditional Chinese banquet. BIL and wife gets to plan the church wedding but in-laws boss over the banquet. His wife doesn’t mind so no harm done. His wife’s mom doesn’t dare to say anything, her husband has passed.