Menu

Best books on audio

Ds is almost 7. I have him listen to audio during rest time each day. I love to read aloud and do so everyday. Most of what I read to him are classics. 

Running out of ideas for audiobooks. So how do you decide what is best for audiobooks? Any favorite ones your kids have listened to? I am thinking probably ones with lots of hard names. 

The Secret Garden - because I can't do the Yorkshire accent!

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

The Tale of Desperaux

Redwall

Narnia - not the dramatized version, the plain audiobooks. Each one read by a different author.

Winnie -the- Pooh

Beatrix Potter

The Railway Children

Peter Pan

Little House

• Like 1

My crazy son loved D'Aulaire's Greek myths at that age on audio book, and I am so glad, because I had NO CLUE how to pronounce any of the names!!!  

The books by Grace Lin in the Where the Mountain Meets the Moon series are wonderful.  

By The Great Horn Spoon is my all-time favorite audiobook.  Just enough dramatization to make it really fun without being distracted.  

He can also re-listen to books you've already read aloud for additional exposure.  

• Like 3

Two audiobooks that we adored as audio specifically were Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger and Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman. Both would be fine for a 7 yo. Both are very funny and well read.

I say just get whatever your library is offering that's appropriate for the age. Unless he's really sensitive to some particular topic, he can just run through whatever is in his age range. Get going with particular authors and series... The Great Brain, everything by Roald Dahl, all the Redwall books... I remember we listened to Dragonrider around that age and it's massively long. That would certainly keep him busy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Farrar said:

Two audiobooks that we adored as audio specifically were Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger and Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman. Both would be fine for a 7 yo. Both are very funny and well read.

I say just get whatever your library is offering that's appropriate for the age. Unless he's really sensitive to some particular topic, he can just run through whatever is in his age range. Get going with particular authors and series... The Great Brain, everything by Roald Dahl, all the Redwall books... I remember we listened to Dragonrider around that age and it's massively long. That would certainly keep him busy.

Fortunately, the Milk had my 3 kids rolling with laughter. That was such a pleasant surprise as it was recommended from another hs parent. I second that recommendation!

• Like 2

It's trial and error for us.  I do make note of the best voice performers, but we're ultimately going to check out anything that interests us.  We love the way Karen White reads Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  (She reads the only Mrs. Piggle Wiggle audiobooks I know of, so they should be easy to find.)  The sequels to Mrs. Piggle Wiggle are not consistently as good as the original (I mean the text, itself, rather than Karen White's reading), but my daughter (age 6) enjoyed them all.

We drive a lot and need things to listen to in the car, so I will pretty much give any good voice performer the chance to read something even if I would otherwise enjoy reading it, myself.  We can always read it in print form later.  If a book is illustrated heavily or particularly well, I do opt for the print version.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, Farrar said:

Going to add a vote for the awesomeness of Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman. On this rec I got it from Audible for DS, and we listened to it, and then the next night he listened to it again. Big hit!

• Like 2

We have really enjoyed Cricket in Times Square and all of EB Whites books on audio. 

7 is probably a bit young but the Peter Nimble and Little Britches books on audio are fantastic too.

For us I can take or leave some audiobooks. I basically choose based on whether I like the sound of the narrators voice and whether the book will appeal to me and my kids since we listen in the car. My daughter absolutely loves the Hank the Cowdog audiobooks. I think the narrator (possibly the author) does a great job, but they are so silly I can only take them in small doses. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2019 at 5:59 PM, lovinmyboys said:

Fortunately the milk

bfg

half magic

My 6yr old listens to the Henry Huggins and Ramona books all the time. You can get the complete collection on audible.

Ahhhh...Half Magic 😍 a childhood favorite and one I get every kid I am related to a copy of 😂 such a good one.

I also want to add my kids have all loved Fablehaven series, Green Ember, Percy Jackson and Land of Stories just to throw out some more current ideas.

• Like 1