Menu

Temporary hair color for dark haired teen?

Dmmetler

DD14 would like to experiment with hair colors, but has to have “normal colored hair” for cheer (she has competitions about once a month until April-May if they make finals). She has long dark brown hair, and colored hairspray just sort of vanishes unless it’s white or silver, which makes her look like she’s going grey early. Any ideas? 

DD17 has dark hair and we recently just bleached a streak so she could dye it green again. She did the same last year but needed to go back to dark hair for a summer event and we just used regular hair dye to match her dark brown hair. Going dark again was very easy. 

My kids have black hair. My girls would love to try highlights or colored hair, but I haven't let them, because I think they would have to bleach before coloring.

Have you tried hair chalk? We did try some once, and it made a blue streak in DD's hair, but it felt oily, and so we didn't use enough to make a drastic or noticeable difference. I imagine there are some better quality chalks, though, that are not so greasy.

I think you would have to be willing to bleach it and then dye it back to brown if needed when cheer season comes around. She could do streaks of hair or just the final few inches (in which case you could also just cut it off rather than dye back to brown). 

This might work: https://www.amazon.com/MOFAJANG-Instant-Temporary-Hairstyle-Pomades/dp/B073WB9LGC?th=1 My DD has used it, and it does wash out. Because it coats the hair rather than being absorbed, it covers dark hair pretty well. It also doesn't make the kind of mess you get with chalk!

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 2

DD had a similar situation due to dance.  She waited until she had her last senior year dance recital then immediately had her long brown hair cut short, bleached, and dyed a bright blue color.  We tried several temp things over the years but none really worked well on her hair color.

Spray in colors will work fine on dark hair if she uses enough of it.  

Both of my kids have a medium brown hair and we didn't have any luck with semi-permanent colors showing up well without bleaching first.  If you have a Sally Beauty nearby I would take your daughter over and they can pretty easily assess what your best bet is.

If she would be happy just having a few streaks, and you don’t mind the expense, you can get colored hair extensions done at a salon.  They are removable. Our stylist quoted around $40 for a few streaks for my daughter.  

We tried the colored sprays for my darker blonde-haired daughter.  They looked really good, they made my daughter’s hair stiff and sticky, and rubbed off on sheets and towels.

Edited by Squawky Acres