Menu

Anyone doing a Whole 30 this month?

StaceyinLA

If there’s already a thread, I couldn’t locate it, but thought it might be fun to share meal ideas, and also just whine and commiserate as we go through withdrawals. I’ve done a couple before, but my eating habits just got progressively worse late last year, and I have to do this and then stick with something really close to it 80% of the time.

Day 1 here.

I had coffee with some homemade cashew creamer I sweetened a bit with dates (just can’t do coffee without a teeny bit of some sweetener, and dates are okay)

Breakfast was a warm fruit/nut bowl with some diced fresh pears, little coconut oil and some coconut milk, chopped raw walnuts, cardamom and ginger seasoning (all warmed in a skillet) then put in a bowl and topped with raw pistachios.

Having lunch right now - seasoned hamburger patty with sliced cherry tomatoes and half an avocado sliced, on 2 slabs of iceberg lettuce “bun.”

Dinner will be either coconut lime chicken, or some leftover veggie soup I made with some homemade beef bone broth.

For snacks if I need any in between, I usually grab a few almond stuffed olives or a handful of nuts.

No other drinks besides water.

I have some things prepped in the fridge and freezer. I would normally have a couple boiled eggs (I usually do a dozen in the instant pot on Sunday for the week) and maybe a handful of nuts or some scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa, but I wanted to use my fruit while it was fresh.

Edited by StaceyinLA

On 1/3/2019 at 11:37 AM, StaceyinLA said:

Breakfast was a warm fruit/nut bowl with some diced fresh pears, little coconut oil and some coconut milk, chopped raw walnuts, cardamom and ginger seasoning (all warmed in a skillet) then put in a bowl and topped with raw pistachios.

Oh my goodness do you have a recipe for this? I'm absolutely starving just reading that :O 

I keep trying to talk myself into doing a whole30 but it just never quite seems to happen.... 

• Like 1

I just saw this! I am.  Thursday was rough bc DD age 4 woke up at 3 am with the stomach flu, and I just didn’t have a nice stash of leftovers being day 2 and all.  I muddled through, but I was extra crabby all day.  Gotta love it when your own life choices make you resentful.  Back on track with my attitude today (day 4) and with a nice trip to the grocery store to stock up on a few more “grab and go” foods.

Hopefully this weekend will see a few more meals ending up in my freezer.  People around here keep eating more than I think they will!  Kayla pork and chocolate chili are on the make/eat/freeze agenda for next week.

I’m not on a diet or program per se, but I’d like to lose 20 lbs over the next 6 mo. or so, so I’m limiting my intake and doing a food diary for now. I’d take part in a food journaling type thread....

ditto on wanting more instruction on the warm pears in coconut milk please! 

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 1

I'm doing (kind of) Whole 30. I'm mostly trying to reset my eating patterns and not doing it as an elimination diet. So this afternoon when I got home at 1:00 and couldn't eat the meal that I had prepped for the family (ham and potatoes in a cheese sauce), I ate a salad. A head of romaine lettuce, a cucumber, a pepper, and a third of an avocado. I didn't have a protein source and didn't want to wait until I hard-boiled some eggs, so I got out some precooked grilled chicken that I purchased for just such an occasion. I noticed that it had one gram per serving of some kind of sugar. I had to decide at that moment whether I was going to worry about that kind of thing. I decided to eat it. I am better off with one gram of added sugar than eating ham and cheesy potatoes, so I'm going to compromise if it means eating better overall. I will try to meal plan better, though.

This morning for breakfast I had ground turkey with peppers, onion, and spinach. Supper will be something simple like eggs, since I can't eat what I want to make for my family for supper and I don't want to cook two meals that take prep.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skywards said:

Oh my goodness do you have a recipe for this? I'm absolutely starving just reading that 😮

I keep trying to talk myself into doing a whole30 but it just never quite seems to happen.... 

It’s not really a strict recipe, but this is the general idea. This serves 2. It reheats fairly well, so sometimes I just make this amount for myself so I’ll have some a day or two later without much work!

2 T coconut oil in a skillet

dice up 2 pieces firm fruit (apple, pear, etc. - pear is my favorite)

put the fruit and 1/4 or more cup chopped nuts in the pan to sauté for a few minutes

After 3-4 min, add 1/2 cup coconut milk (the canned one), 2-3 T unsweetened coconut flakes, and some dried fruit (I never put the dried fruit because I try to keep the sugar content down to the fresh fruit only)

Add preferred spices (I LOVE cardamom, so I do that and ginger, but if you do apples, you can do cinnamon and nutmeg, or whatever you like)

Simmer another couple minutes with all the goodies then put in a bowl and (optional) top with some additional nuts and fresh fruit/berries (if desired - again, I rarely add the additional fruit, but I almost always top with some raw pistachios).

• Like 1

Day 4 here. We did a spontaneous trip to TX Friday/Saturday that I was SURE would throw me off, but it didn’t!

Friday morning I just had a coffee with my homemade cashew creamer, and for lunch before we hit the road I had a bowl of my bone broth veggie soup with a few simple mills black pepper crackers (I know crackers aren’t really in the “spirit” of Whole 30, but they are compliant, and I’m not cracker addicted or anything, so I wasn’t too worried about it).

We took said crackers, a bag of mixed, raw nuts, some Chomps beef sticks, and almond stuffed olives for snacks in the car.

Picked up a Starbucks in the afternoon and did a blonde espresso latte with coconut milk (no syrup or anything of course). It was pretty good actually.

When we arrived at my niece’s in TX, they had a fajita spread. Had fajita beef/veggies, along with some guacamole and pico de gallo. It was super yummy. So much flavor I barely cried about not being able to eat one of the giant, homemade flour tortillas.

Saturday on the way home we grabbed unwiches (sandwiches wrapped in lettuce instead of on bread) from Jimmy John’s - just the roast beef with no mayo or cheese added, but jimmied up so it adds a little oil/vinegar, some onions peppers - really makes it tasty and satisfying.

Got another of our Starbucks on the way home.

When I got back home I had a bowl of my soup again.

So far this morning, coffee with homemade creamer (made a fresh batch this morning), and about to make scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa on top.

I’ll probably have the darn soup again for a late lunch (thank goodness it’s delicious), and I’m either doing coconut lime chicken for dinner (I never did make it the other day - just ate leftovers), or homemade spaghetti sauce with cauliflower gnocchi from TJs.

I will do up a big batch of boiled eggs today, gonna make a batch of avocado mayo, and maybe some hamburger patties to have some “burgers” on lettuce leaves for lunches the next couple days.

I also have a bunch of sweet potatoes prepped, so I need to make something to throw on top of those as well.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I am just gonna add my meals from yesterday because at least this thread is making me feel a bit more accountable. 😜

Had my morning coffee with cashew creamer.

Made 3 scrambled eggs and topped with salsa and half an avocado, sliced.

Had to go out grocery shopping, and it was too soon for lunch before I left, so I headed into BR and wound up grabbing a latte from one of the local roasters (they make an in-house almond/cashew milk creamer that they sweeten with dates). Went to Whole Foods and TJs to get stuff on my list for some meals for the week.

I was pretty starving by the time I got home - grabbed a few almond stuffed olives to tide me over while I made dinner. It wound up being later when I started cooking because my daughter wanted my help with dgs while she put together a couple of her Whole30 things for the week, so I changed supper plans.

Seasoned (salt, pepper, garlic, little cumin and chili powder) and sautéed some shrimp. Threw together a cilantro slaw, cut up some avocados and tomatoes, and we had “tacos” using iceberg lettuce for the shells. I pretty much just wound up with it all in a big pile, but it was very good.

On 1/6/2019 at 9:11 AM, StaceyinLA said:

It’s not really a strict recipe, but this is the general idea. This serves 2. It reheats fairly well, so sometimes I just make this amount for myself so I’ll have some a day or two later without much work!

2 T coconut oil in a skillet

dice up 2 pieces firm fruit (apple, pear, etc. - pear is my favorite)

put the fruit and 1/4 or more cup chopped nuts in the pan to sauté for a few minutes

After 3-4 min, add 1/2 cup coconut milk (the canned one), 2-3 T unsweetened coconut flakes, and some dried fruit (I never put the dried fruit because I try to keep the sugar content down to the fresh fruit only)

Add preferred spices (I LOVE cardamom, so I do that and ginger, but if you do apples, you can do cinnamon and nutmeg, or whatever you like)

Simmer another couple minutes with all the goodies then put in a bowl and (optional) top with some additional nuts and fresh fruit/berries (if desired - again, I rarely add the additional fruit, but I almost always top with some raw pistachios).

Thanks! I am so gonna try this!

Well, I thought I was on day 6, but come to find out, Starbucks’ coconut milk as sugar (don’t know WHY I never checked), so dd and I both had those lattes from there thinking we were doing great, and we were cheating. 😞  I wondered how they could be so good.

Anyway, I’ve done well with my food. Got myself some eggs prepped in the instant pot for quick breakfasts (I do a dozen, manual for 3 minutes, quick release then straight into ice bath. Yolks will still have a little bit of soft, but whites are good and cooked. They are SO easy to peel out of the instant pot.)

In town yesterday we ate at Zoe’s; they have a pretty decent Whole 30 menu. It’s never been one of my favorite places to eat, but it’s nice if you’re in town and starving.

I finally made the coconut-lime chicken night before last and it was REALLY good! Last night - tacos for the grandkids (2 were spending the night) and hubby; I had taco meat, avocado and salsa thrown on top of a prepped sweet potato.

I have a Thai basil beef recipe I’m dying to make, but not sure if that’ll be today or tomorrow since I have to go to my dd’s And help clean out closets today. 

Still chugging along over here. I’ve added a little kombucha/sparkling water mix to my drinks daily. I looked for the “compliant” kombucha. It’s really good with some sparkling water - feels like a treat - and it also allows me to get the benefits of the kombucha. I’m trying to eat fermented foods in my diet daily.

I made the most amazing Thai Basil Beef last night. The recipe was from defineddish on Instagram, and it was probably one of the tastiest things I’ve made in a while; certainly the best Whole 30 thing I’ve made. We all loved it!

This morning I’m gonna have a couple eggs with a piece of compliant Italian sausage (I forget the brand, but it’s one I haven’t tried before, so we’ll see).

It’s a work day, so I’ll have to scrounge something to bring to work also. I have some meatballs I made in the freezer - I’ll probably grab some of those and a prepped sweet potato, just because it’ll be quick.

I have a piece of salmon to cook later and I’ll likely do some potato and spinach/kale to go along with it.

Your are finding some good recipes!  I really should do a Whole30.  I was inspired 6 or 7 years ago when reading the board and I started that very day.  I lasted 28 days until a chocolate craving overtook me.  I maintained the healthy habits and weight loss until I got shingles.  January is too hard a month to do W30 because there are too many birthdays this month that I bake/supply a cake for!

Good luck and thanks for sharing your food ideas.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:38 AM, StaceyinLA said:

Well, I thought I was on day 6, but come to find out, Starbucks’ coconut milk as sugar (don’t know WHY I never checked), so dd and I both had those lattes from there thinking we were doing great, and we were cheating. 😞  I wondered how they could be so good.

I ate peas two days ago. I completely forgot they were verboten as it has been a long time since I read the book. Oops. I'm not concerned. I think I'll be on a restrictive diet for a good while, so it doesn't matter what day I'm on.

Well I had protein balls at dd’s (It was our treat in place of birthday cake at dgd’s bday party yesterday). Dd didn’t realize the protein powder had Stevia (it was one of the last ingredients). Our protein balls were tainted. 😞

IDK if that means I have to restart my Whole 30 or what, but other than that, I’m almost 2 weeks in and the only thing I can say I am REALLY still missing is my morning coffee. I know I’ll likely go back to using sugar and heavy cream at the end of this, but I’m pretty sure it’ll be a good bit less sugar. My morning coffee is really my biggest splurge in life, and i just want it to taste how I want it to taste. The homemade creamers are just NOT doing the trick. 

Anyway, made the Thai basil beef for two of my dds and oldest dd’s husband Saturday - it was a big hit. Yesterday for breakfast I made an omelet, then at the bday party we made a huge batch of chili and topped it with some fresh purple onion and jalapeño - YUM. I ate two bowls.

Last night I wound up eating a banana and a handful of local pecans because they are SOOO yummy and I just wanted some.

This morning I’ll probably do some eggs because they’re quick and I have to go to the eye doctor.

Lunch will be all-beef, compliant weiners with some of the chili from yesterday and some fermented kraut (trying to eat fermented daily also to help my gut).

Not sure about dinner yet - no great plans.