Menu

-

alisoncooks

I missed the other underwear threads apparently.

Depending on how or when you wear them... sometimes getting stunt undies from Wal-Mart really is your best option... I mean, I think you should invest the most in the undies you'll wear the most. If the stunt undies will just perform their stunts and be removed... Wal-Mart level is fine. Maybe hit Target or JC Penney across town or something for a touch more anonymity? They're about the same cost there. Or just go with cheapie ones online. I mean, if you want to wear the stunt undies as regular wear because it makes you feel good, then you'll want to invest in something better... but if you're just going to, as I said, do stunts in them, then I really think cheap is fine.

If you're on the larger side, the stunt undies from Lane Bryant are the comfiest I've personally owned. I'm not a fan of Victoria Secret. If you want something nicer and classy... Nordstrom is good but expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Oh, most definitely.  When I first read this, I thought who does stunts in their underwear ??... 🙄

You and me both! I am still not sure I understand. Perhaps someone cares to enlighten us.

Edited by Liz CA

Wow, stay away for one day (with good reason to be explained in another thread) and you might miss your stuff going viral.  So, stunt panties . . . I can’t be the only one who changes INTO them late in the day and pretends I’ve just been walking around with that secret all day! You can get away with this. There’s rarely anyone policing this scheme. 

I remember when Victoria’s Secret had nice stuff, but it’s been so cheap for the last 15-20 years. Remember the season they had that beautiful Italian line? 

Now I go to Soma or the lingerie section in nicer department stores. Occasionally I’ve gotten lucky at Target or mall stores, but you can’t count on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Well I can tell you where they AREN'T, lol. I sorta walked underneath all the half-naked mannequins in Kohls, trying to see if they sold these things in normal stores, and nope. I really didn't want to tell my teen dd what I was doing, lol. She probably already knows about them, as she seems unusually informed. I still can't figure out why they're even called undies, as I can't see any purpose they serve that is normal to undies. 

• Haha 2

Well I favor Amazon,especially for us plus size gals, but ebay also has stunt undies (which they will henceforth be called here from now on). I have a few I got a lane bryant that I will wear all day sometimes, but I have been known to pull KungFu's trick of changing later in the day and I can attest that no one will be the wiser.

I mean comfort is not what I am usually looking for in stunt undies, so who cares..They usually last about 15 minutes anyways.......:laugh:

and @Melissa in Australia it is the 1st, not the later...although if abseiling in a dress I do think it would require some special other type of undies...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have to say that I have never worn anything other than the ordinary undies. and am still not completely sure if stunt undies are sexy skimpy things or something that people wear when doing abseiling in a dress

They’re the sexy, skimpy, sizzling, but less-than-comfy undies that serve only one purpose. 

• Haha 1

Fun and affordable subscription service:

splendies.com (and their sister Volupties.com for the Plus Sized )

I did it for a year or so a few years back -- it was fun! You can set it to "No Thongs" I got things I would never have picked and things I totally wish I would have -- colors and patterns and variety. Some were cute and on the stunt side a lot were more everyday.

Just make sure your kids don't open your packages LOL Or let them and they won't any more.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Well I can tell you where they AREN'T, lol. I sorta walked underneath all the half-naked mannequins in Kohls, trying to see if they sold these things in normal stores, and nope. I really didn't want to tell my teen dd what I was doing, lol. She probably already knows about them, as she seems unusually informed. I still can't figure out why they're even called undies, as I can't see any purpose they serve that is normal to undies. 

That is sort of what I was thinking. Do those stunts require undies? Don't they usually end up in another corner? BIL used to say, they are judged by how nicely they fall onto the floor...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Oh, most definitely.  When I first read this, I thought who does stunts in their underwear ??... 🙄

Right?  I was thinking "Wow, people have really interesting jobs!  I wonder what kind of stunt work they are doing...oh...OH!"

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I formally would've said Victoria's Secret. But they seem now to be catering to the 14 and under set with everything screaming PINK or having VS written all over it, not to mention falling apart. If you just want cheap online, I'm with Farar. I'd just go Walmart, or try ordering from some of the other places online if you can't ditch the kids. 

I agree. I used to love VS, but the last time I ordered normal undies from them, not for stunts!- they arrived with holes in them straight out of the package. And I'm not talking about holes that are artfully placed on purpose for fashion. It's sad- I'd been ordering the same kind forever! 

I think you always want to order stunt ones online. Amazon should be great but you'd want to use an incognito browser and clear your amazon history or your kids may see recommendations for stuff from Amazon you'd rather they not. 

6 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I was thinking, “Damn! That is super smart! Ask women stunt performers what underwear they use! If it can keep their stuff in place and comfy - maybe it’ll work for a mom of 11 too!”

I’ve been spending a year catering to performers and it never occurred to me ask about their underwear.  I’m asking son tonight!

Now I’m just bummed to not have a lead in decent underwear.

And both my husband and son strongly advise me not to ask this important question.

• Haha 6

I want a sports bra that doesn’t roll up or dig into my ribs. 

I want underwear that stays in place without being granny panties or that sweats.

You know what I’d really like I think? Something like a one piece comfy swimsuit with a snap crotch. And I’m not talking about that crazy boa constricting “slimming” crap. I’m talking a nice comfy streamlined swimsuit in a nude shade. Undies stay in place. No wires to dig in or bands that roll.  Fabric that breaths and wics like that under armor stuff. 

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Nobody polices it around here 🤣 I kind of thought changing into the uncomfortable-but-pretty stuff was an ironclad rule of adulthood and nobody *actually* wore that nonsense around all day???

Snort.  🤣

58 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I want a sports bra that doesn’t roll up or dig into my ribs. 

I want underwear that stays in place without being granny panties or that sweats.

You know what I’d really like I think? Something like a one piece comfy swimsuit with a snap crotch. And I’m not talking about that crazy boa constricting “slimming” crap. I’m talking a nice comfy streamlined swimsuit in a nude shade. Undies stay in place. No wires to dig in or bands that roll.  Fabric that breaths and wics like that under armor stuff. 

And that sounds like one could actually do some worthy stunts in those...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Wow, stay away for one day (with good reason to be explained in another thread) and you might miss your stuff going viral.  So, stunt panties . . . I can’t be the only one who changes INTO them late in the day and pretends I’ve just been walking around with that secret all day! You can get away with this. There’s rarely anyone policing this scheme. 

You naughty librarian!

9 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh so many stories. None probably fit to publish here. My Master's thesis was on condom use in high risk male prostitutes (spoiler alert- it's low!). I wanted to call it Where the Rubber Meets the Road, but my joy-kill committee didn't go for it. But I worked with crack smokers and male prostitutes for 4 years in grad school and then afterward in the name of public health, so yeah, there are a few stories there for sure. 

Oh my. I would have loved to be on your thesis committee. 😁 What an interesting research topic. I can think of a few humdingers to say when people ask you what your area of expertise is. 😋

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

When I worked with the male hookers they had chaps and such if that counts. It was quite the learning experience. 

Chaps like the ones some of us use when horseback riding? So asketh the uninitiated but curious...

7 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

My parents were thankfully, pretty amused by the whole thing, so my Dad always enjoyed when people would ask him what I was studying in grad school. 😂

Your Dad and I are kindred spirits.  😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

This is territory that I've never ventured into (but saw mentioned in the other thread). They seem like they'd require more personal grooming than I'd care to commit to, though. Filing that idea away for my next order....

Okay, I am glad to hear someone else say this because this was my first thought when perusing those websites (incognito, of course). I apparently have a member of the Bigfoot family in my recent family history and all attempts at taming/grooming stunt zones typically make my skin very very angry. The grooming required for THOSE stunt undies.... Yeah, it makes me itch just thinking about it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is the BEST thread ever.  And I have so much newfound respect for Æthelthryth the Texan's educational history. And parents.

As for plus sized pretty stuff... the ones I linked on the other thread on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4JBF4J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) are comfy enough for all day and the black ones work fine for stunts when paired with a black bra from either Nordstrom Rack or a Dillards clearance center.  Check and see if either one of them have locations near you.  I'm somewhat overly blessed in the BOOKS department and I find bras for less than $15 there that are typically $80+, are comfortable enough for all day wear but still work fine in the stunt department. 

OTOH I've always found that simply touching something that wouldn't be covered by chaps is usually all the stunt I need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Nobody polices it around here 🤣 I kind of thought changing into the uncomfortable-but-pretty stuff was an ironclad rule of adulthood and nobody *actually* wore that nonsense around all day???

Lol. But do men know that?

21 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I was getting some bras on bare necessities and noticed they have a selection of impractical undies.

Why yes, yes, they do. Not that I know from experience or anything. My DH, BTW, is totally entertained by this thread and seriously eyeballing each and every Amazon package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Katy said:

This is the BEST thread ever.  And I have so much newfound respect for Æthelthryth the Texan's educational history. And parents.

As for plus sized pretty stuff... the ones I linked on the other thread on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G4JBF4J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) are comfy enough for all day and the black ones work fine for stunts when paired with a black bra from either Nordstrom Rack or a Dillards clearance center.  Check and see if either one of them have locations near you.  I'm somewhat overly blessed in the BOOKS department and I find bras for less than $15 there that are typically $80+, are comfortable enough for all day wear but still work fine in the stunt department. 

OTOH I've always found that simply touching something that wouldn't be covered by chaps is usually all the stunt I need.

I'm afraid I've set the bar too high. My usuals are fairly stylish so my performance garments up the ante considerably. No kidding, just mentioning these alternative items is enough to make DH drop hints...NONSTOP...all.stinking.day. Dude, I'm frying pork chops here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I opened this thread thinking that it was going to be about the things cheerleaders wear under their skirts to hide their actual underwear. I have never heard the term "stunt undies" before. 

I'm not a fashionable person at all - but I haven't worn "stunt undies" since the first year we were married. I hadn't even really thought about it. They end up in the floor awfully quickly, anyway. DH's eyes would fall out of his head! Haha! I think I'm going to have to invest in some! 

I saw an article on fb today that was about a woman complaining that her dh complained about her wearing pajama pants to bed. Apparently, he thought she should wear something more stuntlike, in case he wanted to brew tea. I thought that was awfully weird. My dh wants to brew tea if I'm sleeping in his basketball shorts/tshirt. 

Maybe this hasn't really occurred to me because I can't buy "stunt" tops. In my size, they only come in boring. So there's not really an opportunity to be matchy and fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 12:07 AM, Murphy101 said:

I was thinking, “Damn! That is super smart! Ask women stunt performers what underwear they use! If it can keep their stuff in place and comfy - maybe it’ll work for a mom of 11 too!”

I’ve been spending a year catering to performers and it never occurred to me ask about their underwear.  I’m asking son tonight!

Now I’m just bummed to not have a lead in decent underwear.

And both my husband and son strongly advise me not to ask this important question.

Total thread derailment moment -- dd just did a Broadway musical tour as wardrobe assistant, and one of her jobs during prep was purchasing underwear for all the performers (4 sets each since they had a 4 show day at one point).  So,  if you really want to pursue this dream there's an actual career path.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

It now occurs to me that I do own stunt panties for actual stunts! I dance in one troupe where the director insists that you double up on underwear. This way if you have a costume malfunction and step on your skirt (which is often pinned to your underwear) you are not left exposed when skirt and outer-undies slip. This has never happened to me, but I’ve seen the occasional slip and I live in fear so I double up. 

• Haha 1