Menu

Anyone working on home organization for the new year?

Soror

Used to this was easy and without thought. Add in a part-time job, age, and more changes than I can count and I'm needing to refocus. I bought Motivated Moms as a guide for this year, I used it years ago and found it helpful to free up brain space to think about and remember all the little things around the house.

• Like 1

Me! I feel like I've gone on and on about it in other threads, lol.

I spent most of December reading/watching/listening to "experts" and working out my own game plan.   First, I'm going through the whole house for a main "good enough" decluttering. Once that's done, a serious deep cleaning. Then, with easier routines down, I plan to tackle the nitty grittty decluttering and organizing what's leftover.  Otherwise, I could probably get lost in one room for ages!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Me! I feel like I've gone on and on about it in other threads, lol.

I spent most of December reading/watching/listening to "experts" and working out my own game plan.   First, I'm going through the whole house for a main "good enough" decluttering. Once that's done, a serious deep cleaning. Then, with easier routines down, I plan to tackle the nitty grittty decluttering and organizing what's leftover.  Otherwise, I could probably get lost in one room for ages!

I'm on a decluttering spree and organizing spree too, it is much easier to keep everything clean when you don't have more than you need and everything has a place. 

In the next week I plan to do:

my bedroom

linens

That will take care of the main living areas of the house. 

During spring break/summer AKA when I have more time I will tackle the bigger jobs- books (which requires selling some homeschool books and now is not the best time for that), storage closet, shed, and utility room.

The shed and utility room have to be done w/ dh b/c a lot of it is his supplies and tools so we'll see when we can manage it, he won't have time again until the end of May likely with his classes. But I am going to clear out some things that we aren't using or are no longer working. The storage closet has been gone through recently and honestly don't know if I can make many improvements but I will at least due the clothes when we change out for the seasons. Dh has 2 boxes- 1 for electronics and another of random things- I've got him to pare down quite a bit already but still think most of that could be gotten rid of.....

if it counts, yesterday I went through the shelves in the bedroom.  Made space for all our photo albums and basically put, gave, or threw away several bags of stuff.   I feel like I'm going to be in a constant state of organizing this year.  We'll be starting demo on our kitchen soon and we still have stuff to bring out of our storage unit.  Dh wants to get rid of that payment asap.   I don't blame him, it's been over a year... but it's a daunting  task with a smaller house and renovations.  

• Like 1

Somewhat, yes. Not the big organization stuff, like getting decluttered, but the maintenance of it and really staying on top of things. 

Oldest DS had taken over so many of my day-to-day chores (dishes, laundry half the time, walking the dogs....) and he's moving to university next week. Add in I started a part-time job this past year, and in the fall I'll be adding more hours/days out of the house, and I have GOT to get back in the swing of things. 

I do have a perfectly lovely chart to follow......it's even posted on the fridge....breaks things down to daily tasks and monthly tasks and as long as I implement it, should be perfect. It's the implementing it part that is always the challenge.....

• Like 1