Menu

Marie Kondo Series on Netflix??

umsami

I think *a lot* more people are decluttering (not "fluttering" autocorrect!) because of the show.

Also, "sparks joy" is a translation.  I've read that the concept is more along the lines of a strong reaction.  Americans tend to think "sparks joy" is a giddy happiness.  An intense, sad novel may not be a joyful thing but it can spark a strong reaction, kwim?

• Like 1

I haven't seen this series yet because we cancelled Netflix months ago over that offensive content.  But I have read the books and seen almost everything with MK on YouTube.

Today bc of the closet discussion upthread I took everything out of my closet and reorganized it in color order. I didn't get rid of anything because I thought I had already sorted my closet repeatedly. But now I totally get why MK recommends color order!  Just looking at my closet full of the colors I love and feel beautiful in gives me so much joy I started taking stuff I love out of drawers and hung it up.  And the handful of things that aren't me REALLY stick out. They'll probably get culled tomorrow, I was just too busy today. I also had no idea I had that many black dresses or hot pink tops. I rarely wear either category, but apparently I love to buy them. After I cull the few obvious things I think I might pull everything out by color category and cull that way. I also need to go through and pull out all the maternity clothes and put them in storage.

Just in case anyone is curious I didn't do rainbow color order because I don't like it.  I find the mixture of warm and cool colors jarring. So instead I go in this order:  mustard -> warm rusty burgundy shades -> orange -> red -> pink -> magenta -> purple -> blue ->  navy -> black -> gray -> dark khaki -> light khaki -> ivory -> white. I basically do the same thing for other things sorted by color in the house.

I only have a handful of warmer color items (yellow, mustard, green) because I usually look terrible in them.  So those are going to get either culled tomorrow or put in a different location because they are either seasonal (kelly green for st patricks day, team shirts for game days, etc), or sweaters that would be better off folded.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, happi duck said:

I liked this article: What White Western Audiences Don't Understand...

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c47859be4b025aa26bde77c

I appreciate the article, even though it's not the first or even the best regarding MK's Shinto roots. I disagree that the twitter memes about book hoarding were racist. They were directly criticizing the idea that books should be minimized.  It may have been taken way out of context, but that's what ALL memes do, and racism has nothing to do with it.

10 hours ago, Katy said:

I appreciate the article, even though it's not the first or even the best regarding MK's Shinto roots. I disagree that the twitter memes about book hoarding were racist. They were directly criticizing the idea that books should be minimized.  It may have been taken way out of context, but that's what ALL memes do, and racism has nothing to do with it.

Links to better articles about the Shinto roots? I thought the one linked above started out well, but then devolved into a bit of a screed. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:59 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This is one of my only complaints about the method.  The emphasis is on storing, not paring down or addressing constant accumulation.  Marie is like, "Bring in small boxes!" and not, "Stop buying shoes!" and that's why I get the feeling that ultimately these people may have reset their space temporarily, but long-term, it's not going to stay neat.  Maybe for some of them it will, but...  

Have you watched the show? Everyone gets rid of heaps of stuff. She shows the mounds of donation bags and garbage bags and even shows them taking the stuff to donation centers. The emphasis is very much on assessing each item for personal value and "letting go" of things that don't bring value. 

• Like 3