Menu

Marie Kondo Series on Netflix??

umsami

Well I am not that organized for sure!  We don't own any stuff I don't want to own, and I don't have piles of hidden treasures or mismatched tupperware or unused clothes, but I also don't fold or hang anything.  It's all just a jumble.  I don't have enough stuff for that to be a problem, I think.  

I organize by color (I'm a quilter, I can't help it) and within each color I go from left to right: sleeveless, short sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, long sleeve, heavy fabric long sleeve.  Dresses are in their own section. I hang everything with tops on the top rack and pants, skirts, and dresses on the low rack. Snowgear is in my amiore that used to hold a tv.  My FIL put a closet rod in it for me.  Now if a doorway to Narnia opens, we're prepared.

My sentimental items are in my cedar chest.  I have one folded stack per person: self, husband, oldest, middle, youngest. When the lid doesn't close it's time to cull things until it does.

• Like 4

On 1/6/2019 at 6:56 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

What I learned from MOTH—Some people use index cards to schedule their cleaning.  I will never ever been one of those people.  The idea of that is horrifying to me.  No judgement though.

This was the Sidetracked Home Executives method. Would it help to think of it as a flexible to-do list where you only ever have to record “dust door frame” once then you never ever have to write or type it again. It’s very helpful for people who get distracted by screens and need to stay out of the matrix to remain focused. 

On 1/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, PrincessMommy said:

I'm half-way into the first episode.  I don't like it.  She is too cutsie, and I'm sorry - it seems to waste a lot of time "thanking" every piece - and "being nice to it" (don't just throw it on the floor!).  I'm thinking that we Americans are already too touchy-feely.  Do we really need her too?    I just seems too gimmicky for my taste.   There's really nothing revolutionary about it... I just need to get off my butt and do it! 

I tried to read the book last year and couldn't finish it.  

I'm looking for Susan Powder of the cleaning world.  Seriously, she could make bundle being the anti-KonMarie.   Grab her and  Mr.T and let's get to work people.!  

I think the thanking thing might help people who hoard for emotional reasons. If you’re like me and ended up with too much stuff just because you procrastinated purging, it’s easy to part with things once you actually DO it. 

On 1/10/2019 at 11:46 AM, Storygirl said:

It would be nice for my kids to be able to see all of their shirts in their drawers like that. But I will never never never be able to get them to fold them that way. I can't even get them to do a simplified laundry fold, though we've been working on laundry habits for years (**teens with ADHD problem**). And I am not doing their laundry for them; it is rightfully their job.

BUT now I'm thinking of having them roll their t-shirts. It may be easier for them than folding. And easier to see individual shirts in the drawer when they are rolled, instead of folded and stacked. Not sure when we will have time to switch it over, because it would be a big project to sort and roll everything. And big projects tend to spawn drama in my kids, sadly.

One of the things stressed in the book is that you can’t Konmari someone else’s stuff. I think they have to buy in for it to work. You might have to settle for beautiful order in your own room. You could get them to pare down, but conning another person into Konmari-ing against their will doesn’t sound like fun. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StellaM said:

In her book she talks about modelling Kon Mari for others in your household she definitely does not suggest you go and apply this method to other people's stuff! Without fail, my ds Kon Mari's his room the day after I do mine - it's some weird symbiotic thing - but dd1 only did hers for the first time last week, after having seen me usw the method over 4 years, and dd2 has never bothered. 

I love where she says she wishes she could go back and slap herself for purging her families stuff when she was a kid.  

• Like 1

We don't have many books because moving books is heavy and annoying, but since we've settled here for hopefully years, I'm accumulating them again.  As long as it is a book I bought on purpose, rather than was gifted and kept even if I didn't want it (which I don't do, anyway), I would be happy to keep thousands of books and build up a small library.  My grandmother had a library in her basement when I was a kid and it was pretty awesome.

• Like 1

I get her point about people having to make their own decisions about their possessions. But the truth is that my kids won't sort and organize if I don't require it. They will never be inspired by seeing me do it. Just not the kind of people that they are (except for the oldest).

The toy purging days are mostly in the past now (all teens, plus we just moved and got rid of most things from the play room).  So now it's mostly moving too-small clothes out of their drawers and closets periodically. They never have to get rid of things that they would rather keep. They just don't want to do it at all.

12 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This is one of my only complaints about the method.  The emphasis is on storing, not paring down or addressing constant accumulation.  Marie is like, "Bring in small boxes!" and not, "Stop buying shoes!" and that's why I get the feeling that ultimately these people may have reset their space temporarily, but long-term, it's not going to stay neat.  Maybe for some of them it will, but...  

I think she expects the whole “spark joy” thing to greatly reduce your belongings. I think that’s why everything comes out into a pile. It’s expected that a LOT of items won’t make it back into the collection. In the book it seemed like the point of the boxes was to not buy boxes, but USE boxes you found/emptied while purging. Maybe to deter people from hitting the Container Store and buying more stuff. 

12 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I have mixed feelings on those HGTV rooms ready for open house or whatever. They put decorative stuff out I wouldn’t even want because it’s just clutter to me. And karate chopped throw pillows never look natural to me. Lol  

What are karate chopped pillows? (I only saw one episode.)

10 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

I struggle with clutter, but what I find is that so much of it is related to the kids stuff.  I just can't keep up with the accumulation that happens in their rooms. 

And I can' quite figure out where it is coming from, as we don't buy them a ton of stuff - some is things they ick up or make, but not all by any means.  Bu tthey begin to have a harder and harder time keeping things tidy as it accumulates. And I start to get really overwhelmed by it as I see a bigger and bigger mess, and think I am going to have to take time dealing with that stuff rather than other things I need to do.

Right now I am getting to where I have to go through ds's room, it will take me half a day.  I also would like to rejig our kitchen storage which is no longer working for us, and I need to especially purge Tupperware that has missing parts.  I feel paralysed by the bedroom though as I don't know when I will have time - I find it difficult to set my mind to it when I am not clear in terms of being interrupted.

I'm not a minimalist and don't like that style in my own place anyway, and I am not generally all that sentimental about getting rid of stuff.  But it oppresses me anyway.

My clutter was the result of gradual accumulation over YEARS, with only sporadic purging. Our home isn’t big, but it’s a bit bigger than we actually need. I was able to stash stuff in the basement and forget about it. This summer, however, I wanted to create a large empty room in the basement, so I got rid of half the stuff down there. It was EASY because my kids are grown and I longer cared about those things. Had I tried to remove that much stuff when they were little it would’ve been a Very Big Deal. 

I call this Procrastineering. 

• Like 1

We require ours to purge occasionally.  They are children; they are not 100% responsible for their possessions and don't have 100% control over their possessions.  We have to move them and pay to keep a house large enough to hold all of them.  If all 7 of my kids owned as many things as my only-child niece, we'd need a 10 bedroom house.  As they get older they get more control, of course.  I made the mistake with DD13 of allowing people to buy her stuffed animals and even bought some myself when she was little.  She still has pretty much every stuffed animal she was given before age 10 or so.  It is by far the largest quantity of stuff any single member of the family has.  She's not ready to part with them, though, so I haven't pushed it.  It does mean that she has less room for clothes and other possessions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moonflower said:

We require ours to purge occasionally.  They are children; they are not 100% responsible for their possessions and don't have 100% control over their possessions.  We have to move them and pay to keep a house large enough to hold all of them.  If all 7 of my kids owned as many things as my only-child niece, we'd need a 10 bedroom house.  As they get older they get more control, of course.  I made the mistake with DD13 of allowing people to buy her stuffed animals and even bought some myself when she was little.  She still has pretty much every stuffed animal she was given before age 10 or so.  It is by far the largest quantity of stuff any single member of the family has.  She's not ready to part with them, though, so I haven't pushed it.  It does mean that she has less room for clothes and other possessions.

Stuffed animals are clearly a tool of the oppressors to keep parents in their place.  They are the one major category that my kids just. can't. pare. down.  I've gotten them to at least keep the majority in our basement storage room, but I never manage to get any donated, because "I still loooooooove that one!"  🙄  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, StellaM said:

In her book she talks about modelling Kon Mari for others in your household she definitely does not suggest you go and apply this method to other people's stuff! Without fail, my ds Kon Mari's his room the day after I do mine - it's some weird symbiotic thing - but dd1 only did hers for the first time last week, after having seen me usw the method over 4 years, and dd2 has never bothered. 

So, at what age does this kick in?  Because my kids become sentimental about actual garbage they find outside, and want to keep it in their rooms.  And ds still has a difficult time organising simple tidying.

9 hours ago, StellaM said:

Re books, this isn't Kondo, but we used to keep our books under control by only keeping books that would get reread (definitely, not 'maybe one day') or were likely to go OOP. Anything you can get from the library or on Kindle or whatever - out. Or the books you cannot live without.

I KM'ed my personal book shelf down to a single shelf - maybe 20 books ? 

It's harder with kids books, or books you need for work. But even then, confining myself to books I will definitely re-use or want to read to hypothetical grandchildren, books that are now OOP and one or two sentimental faves is possible. That's more like a whole bookcase though.

This is my method too, now.  Anything that will be read/used is in, stuff that won't is out.  I have a few exceptions for significant heirlooms or books with a separate kind of value.  Everything else goes to the church book sale once a year.

I fid it helps to think about the books withering away, unread.

• Like 2

I’m with the poster that says she liked reading organization books more than actually organizing. I find them fascinating! Procrastination is my biggest obstacle. Luckily I’m not a shopper. 

True confession time . . . I’ve only done three big purges in the last twenty years!

Once when my kids outgrew the preschool stuff, my mom came up with a truck and hauled it all down to WV to distribute among the younger cousins. She knew who needed/had what and I was grateful to get it all out. 

The second purge was when the Girl Scouts has a huge yard sale for the tsunami and I was able to get rid of more outgrown kid stuff plus unused household things. 

This year’s purge was for over ten years’ worth of accumulation! It’s been on my to-do list for about 6 years. 🤣 Dreading it was worse than doing it. I was motivated to “finish” half the basement. (It’s a fake finished room because I DIYed it with no skill, but I love it.)

This is probably the wrong thing to do, but I had piles for Keep, Trash, Recycling, Donate, and MAYBE.  That Maybe pile allowed me to sort at lighting speed and not worry about regrets later. It was smaller than I anticipated and was easier to deal with after everything else was sorted and hauled out. 

My son also requires a Maybe pile when sorting or he takes too long. Usually he gets rid of the whole thing, but it does hurry the process for us. I’m the kind of person who, if I don’t finish a project right away, just might put off finishing for YEARS. I HAVE to strike while the iron is hot. 

• Like 7

"Sparks joy" really works for me for tidying and for shopping and it helped with clearing out my sister's home.

A pp mentioned that some people on the show didn't "purge enough" but I think that isn't the point of her method.  You are deciding what to *keep* by what sparks joy and not trying to get to a certain look or a certain amount.

I think "sparks joy" helps people let go of what other people think they "should" keep and instead keep what really matters which looks different from person to person.

I like that she lets people make their own decisions and come to their own realizations.  One woman wanted Marie to "work her magic" but she answered that she wasn't magical.  The "life changing magic" is the tidying up and discovering what sparks joy and creating a new relationship with your stuff.

• Like 3

For closet hanging, I hang short sleeves with short sleeves, long sleeves with long sleeves. Pants & the few skirts I own are together. For each of those sections, I sort/hang by rainbow color (ROYGBIV). I put white/brown/gray/black at the end of each section. (I'm visual so I like seeing the clothing in a pretty color arrangement.)

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 9:36 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I enjoy the show, even if I find some bits a bit hokey.  

More importantly, MY KIDS enjoy the show and have gone organization crazy!!!  So that's AWESOME!

So I have never read or watched any of this cleaning or organizational people but I'm a natural declutterer. It fives me great joy to find things to get rid of. Lol I purge twice a year. Of course, it takes less time than most people because I do it more.

My 2 youngest boys I have joked are Bert and Ernie because one is a complete slob and the other when self devised how his socks would be rolled by 8, gets rid of everything and his room is downright Spartan, and likes everything neat and clean. It was good for "Ernie" to learn he needs to think about "Bert's" needs even if he doesn't care and "Bert" needs to learn graciousness to "Ernie" but I will cut to the chase.

Is there an episode or different program that would be well recieved by an 11 year old, a 19 year old boy, and/or a husband? They are probably not going to be interested in binge watching and I don't have time to prewatch (I'm not interested either) but honestly they are all frustrated with it all. I will probably go through stuff item by item again and continue to teach with the 11 year old but I'm definitly not doing that with older ones for sure.

What I have said that helped was to ask, "How much is this worth to me?" Everything costs. Every time you clean it takes minutes from your life. Every time you feel the need to buy drawers or build a shed to takes a lot of time and money. This has helped the older 2 a lot but they still somehow have an overwhelming amount of stuff though they've improved.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:08 PM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Stuffed animals are clearly a tool of the oppressors to keep parents in their place.  They are the one major category that my kids just. can't. pare. down.  I've gotten them to at least keep the majority in our basement storage room, but I never manage to get any donated, because "I still loooooooove that one!"  🙄  

Get a puppy. It will take care of the stuffed animals for you. 😉

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 4:08 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh my goodness.  My kids have a ten foot by three foot utility shelf in the basement full of stuffies, and if I try to get rid of them, even to good homes, they flip out and it's like I am trying to give away the dog.

I really think it is because they think of them as alive and having personalities.  

I just keep thinking that it would be so nice to be able to use that shelf for Halloween and Christmas decorations, wrapping, and skates.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Could said stuffed animals.... run away?

Like, in my house, if we box up toys for awhile the kids forget about them, and then when it is time to give them away their attachment has usually weakened significantly.  If they don’t actively play with them I’d try the boxing trick for awhile.

At least try it with the bears.  They hibernate, you know....

• Haha 1

I kind of thought their attachment would wane just having them in the basement.  Sometimes they will exchange the ones in their room for others, but only the ones at the front.  Others they haven't seen for years.

It doesn't seem to matter much though.  Dd14 is not so bad, but still has some trouble with it.  Dd11 is very sentimental - she takes after her dad.  

On 1/11/2019 at 7:19 PM, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I organize by color (I'm a quilter, I can't help it) and within each color I go from left to right: sleeveless, short sleeve, 3/4 sleeve, long sleeve, heavy fabric long sleeve.  Dresses are in their own section. I hang everything with tops on the top rack and pants, skirts, and dresses on the low rack. Snowgear is in my amiore that used to hold a tv.  My FIL put a closet rod in it for me.  Now if a doorway to Narnia opens, we're prepared.

My sentimental items are in my cedar chest.  I have one folded stack per person: self, husband, oldest, middle, youngest. When the lid doesn't close it's time to cull things until it does.

You know what? This is what I need to do. I have an old cedar chest that was my mom’s. It has plenty of sentimental things, but I think I could just put anything else sentimental I’m on the fence about and if it fits, it stays.

The only thing not in there is my scrapbooks I made my kids and all our old home movies. I have those in a fireproof safe. I AM actually planning to convert the scrapbooks into digital ones over the next year or two - just gonna scan and print my oldest dd’s, then scan what I have of the other kids and add to them then print them. I’ll give each kid the original and a digital, and I’ll keep a digital of each for myself. I’m just over all the pics/scraps.

• Like 2

I do manage to throw out the occasional stuffie, but it's top secret.  

Confession:  My littlest woke up this morning with mysterious hives, and my first thought was, "Oh good, maybe he's allergic to dust mites and we can finally toss all these stuffies!"

I'm such a mean mom.  Oh boy.  

@froggerAs to which episodes of Tidying Up: I suggest one of the episodes with a family: 1, 3, and maybe 5?  You'd have to look at the first few minutes.  Here's what caused wheels to turn in my kids' heads- Often tiems the moms said just how overwhelming it was to be the "keeper of the things", and I think my kids finally "got" that it is A LOT of work to be in charge of the home.  I'm not saying they are now fully aware of what my work is, but it definitely opened their eyes.  

• Like 2

DD17 has watched a few episodes with me. She likes to be neat, but she also likes to keep everything and buy more. Especially clothes. She has her own room now (used to share with sister), but she has been warned that when/if she moves out for college, her room will not sit empty but will be used by a sibling. Therefore, she has to pare down her possessions before then; she can't expect to leave a bunch here in storage.

The Margie episode affected her, I think. I hope. Seeing that room completely full of all of the junk her children had left behind in the home had an impact. And she keeps saying, "That's not going to happen to me," when she sees the big piles of clothes in each episode.

I'm hoping the lesson sticks, but we shall see. Her schedule is full this semester, but I'm going to encourage her to go through everything next summer, before her senior year. I really don't want her to leave big boxes of worthless junk behind whenever she moves out; saving some sentimental things is fine, of course, but I want her to be thoughtful about it.

• Like 3

I mentioned in the 2019 get rid of it all thread that we have a 5 x 5 off-site storage unit.  About one third of the items in it are ds’s.  There are two large tubs of his sheet music.  I am taking my time and mailing one of those large, flat-rate, USPS boxes every other month or so.  

When we got rid of stuffed animals (which was when we did the downsize two years ago, so ds was 19 - this is the problem - if you have space to store stuff it often doesn’t get purged), we kept four Beanie Babies and his one very special lovey from when he was young. Those Beanie Babies were just too dang easy for grandma to give for EVERY occasion!  We had so many dang Beanie Babies in a flat tub under our guest bedroom bed!  Ack! But, we kept four.  At any rate, when I filled the most recent box of sheet music, there was sort of a gap along the edge, so I crammed in two of the Beanie Babies!  He has no idea they are coming along with his music.  Brahms, Beethoven, Bach...and Beanie Babies! 🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Storygirl said:

DD17 has watched a few episodes with me. She likes to be neat, but she also likes to keep everything and buy more. Especially clothes. She has her own room now (used to share with sister), but she has been warned that when/if she moves out for college, her room will not sit empty but will be used by a sibling. Therefore, she has to pare down her possessions before then; she can't expect to leave a bunch here in storage.

The Margie episode affected her, I think. I hope. Seeing that room completely full of all of the junk her children had left behind in the home had an impact. And she keeps saying, "That's not going to happen to me," when she sees the big piles of clothes in each episode.

I'm hoping the lesson sticks, but we shall see. Her schedule is full this semester, but I'm going to encourage her to go through everything next summer, before her senior year. I really don't want her to leave big boxes of worthless junk behind whenever she moves out; saving some sentimental things is fine, of course, but I want her to be thoughtful about it.

A few weeks before I graduated from high school, my room at my dad's house was disgusting.  Like horrible.  I just got a bee in my bonnet and stayed up all night one night cleaning it.  So there are such things as death bed conversions to neatness.  Don't lose hope!  😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Deathbed conversion LOL

Yeah I was never a very neat teen and then really changed when I got out on my own. I had to get fed up and feel a bit out of control of my own mess first though.

Ds is graduated and in his first apartment with a roommate now.  What I notice when he comes home is that he is much more considerate about cleaning/tidying up after himself in common spaces like the kitchen and living room.  His room, however, still continues to look as if a bomb exploded in it.  To be fair, he is having to live out of a suitcase, but it’s unbelievable to me how much stuff is just strewn about the floor.  

I got a lot tidier when I got married. 

On 1/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, heartlikealion said:

I have mixed feelings on those HGTV rooms ready for open house or whatever. They put decorative stuff out I wouldn’t even want because it’s just clutter to me. And karate chopped throw pillows never look natural to me. Lol  

Somewhat catching up on this thread. 

I don’t have a lot of decorative stuff other than art on the walls. However, I would say that our new condo probably looks open house ready most of the time!  Or it could look that way in about ten minutes at any given time.  I really like it that way, and I don’t think it is impersonal at all! I have a few family photos out. To me, having less is calming, not impersonal. And, I karate chop my pillows on a daily basis!  Lol!

BUT, we are empty nesters with no pets which makes keeping things tidy quite easy. 

• Like 1

I am doing my house this month, partly because of the series and partly because I'm just tired of picking up the same things over and over.  We moved here two years ago and haven't done much of a purge since then.  Prior to moving, while I did get rid of some things, I didn't get rid of much because we doubled our square-footage so I wasn't worried much about everything fitting.  I love that I am intentionally touching every single item in our home, and being honest about it. I am almost done helping DD10 with her room and for the first time ever I have not made her keep anything that I think she might use someday.  She really struggles with keeping her room tidy and the number of things in there that I thought she should have but that she's not at all attached to or won't use was ridiculous. Why keep 7 dresses when she's only worn 2 of them and doesn't really care for the other 5?  On the other side is DD12, who wants to keep EVERYTHING!  We're about half-way done with her room and then I'll determine just how big her treasure box needs to be 🙂  I love the progress we're making but overall, in the middle of all of this, my house is a disaster!  That's why I have decided this is only for the month.  What's done then is what's done.  I still have my room(other than clothes), my kitchen and my laundry room (lots of storage in there) to go through.  After clothes we did our basement next and went from 6 4' storage shelves to 3!  It took an entire weekend but I love how empty it is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ksr5377 said:

I am doing my house this month, partly because of the series and partly because I'm just tired of picking up the same things over and over.  We moved here two years ago and haven't done much of a purge since then.  Prior to moving, while I did get rid of some things, I didn't get rid of much because we doubled our square-footage so I wasn't worried much about everything fitting.  I love that I am intentionally touching every single item in our home, and being honest about it. I am almost done helping DD10 with her room and for the first time ever I have not made her keep anything that I think she might use someday.  She really struggles with keeping her room tidy and the number of things in there that I thought she should have but that she's not at all attached to or won't use was ridiculous. Why keep 7 dresses when she's only worn 2 of them and doesn't really care for the other 5?  On the other side is DD12, who wants to keep EVERYTHING!  We're about half-way done with her room and then I'll determine just how big her treasure box needs to be 🙂  I love the progress we're making but overall, in the middle of all of this, my house is a disaster!  That's why I have decided this is only for the month.  What's done then is what's done.  I still have my room(other than clothes), my kitchen and my laundry room (lots of storage in there) to go through.  After clothes we did our basement next and went from 6 4' storage shelves to 3!  It took an entire weekend but I love how empty it is!

Thanks for the reminder about the treasure box!  I thought that was a fantastic idea, specifically the idea of having the box itself "spark joy".  Even if it ends up in storage I like the idea of having a special box.

• Like 1

I've had the show playing while I've been decluttering. Its motivating to declutter alongside others, even if I don't subscribe to her methods 100%. 

The picture in the link to karate chopped pillows is hilarious because there are so many giant pillows on that thing, nobody can sit on it! 😂 

My kids have these shoe organizers from target for their stuffed animals. Some of the pouches are larger, which is great for bigger animals. This one is white but ours are a fun blue. They hang over the closet door. With this, the animals can both see and breathe! 😂 

• Like 4

I had no idea how thankful I am that no one is worried about stuffies seeing or breathing in our bean bag 😉. I wish we could get rid of them but at least this contains them. It is kinda ridiculous the amount we have but with 9 kids I guess it's to be expected.  Someday they will let some of them go. Someday. 😬

Edited by busymama7
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2019 at 9:38 AM, KungFuPanda said:

I’m with the poster that says she liked reading organization books more than actually organizing. I find them fascinating! Procrastination is my biggest obstacle. Luckily I’m not a shopper. 

True confession time . . . I’ve only done three big purges in the last twenty years!

I am with you.  I hate to organize, and I love to read, so...

But I can’t honestly say that I have EVER done a big purge.  I do many little purges, but every time I’ve moved I’ve been so frantic to pack that I couldn’t really sort as well.  I didn’t really know that people normally DO big purges.  I find that very interesting.

7 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I am with you.  I hate to organize, and I love to read, so...

But I can’t honestly say that I have EVER done a big purge.  I do many little purges, but every time I’ve moved I’ve been so frantic to pack that I couldn’t really sort as well.  I didn’t really know that people normally DO big purges.  I find that very interesting.

If you do many little purges you probably never HAVE to do a big one. I like to pretend stuff isn’t there until the planets align and I’m annoyed about it AND energetic at the same time. This phenomenon occurs roughly every seven years. We haven’t moved in 17 years, so we’ve had no motivation in that area. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, StellaM said:

It's surprisingly helpful to touch the item.

Even though I haven't fully bought into the "sparks joy", I have decided that, if I don't feel like I can be bothered to touch (or fold, or find a home for) something, there's no way it's worth keeping. I'm definitely (finally) buying into the idea that my things deserve to be taken care of. Or I deserve things that are taken care of. Or however you want to view it. Ignoring things shoved in dark corners doesn't do that.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Even though I haven't fully bought into the "sparks joy", I have decided that, if I don't feel like I can be bothered to touch (or fold, or find a home for) something, there's no way it's worth keeping. I'm definitely (finally) buying into the idea that my things deserve to be taken care of. Or I deserve things that are taken care of. Or however you want to view it. Ignoring things shoved in dark corners doesn't do that.

this is my mentality. 

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I haven’t really been able to quite grasp the “sparks joy” thing myself. I really don’t have a lot of things in my home that spark joy when I look at them (maybe photos of my parents/kids/grandkids, but not things), and I don’t keep much excess at all. If I ditched everything that didn’t bring me immediate joy, I’d likely live in a box with my claw foot tub. 😜

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, cave canem said:

I saw this and thought, "Don't they know that lots of people start their new year with decluttering? It's not necessarily related to the show." I don't even have Netflix and I've never seen the show, but decluttering is always done at this time of year.