Menu

Marie Kondo Series on Netflix??

umsami

I made it through a full episode, and I'm scratching my head about how this cleaning/de-cluttering method is any different that other methods. There are actually more steps involved, too, because it takes time to "thank" all your old stuff and fold each clothing item 50 times. How long do people actually maintain this kind of precise folding? 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

And we finished the series.  

I am really struck by Marie Kondo's language in the Margie episode. At one point she said something like, "Thank you so much for sharing that with me so that I can understand you better as we get to know each other."  That's not it exactly, and I don't have time to go hunt down the clip right now, but it was one of the most respectful uses of language I've heard in a long, long time. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

I tried to watch last night. I couldn't get past the idea that they scheduled their initial meeting/house tour at a time that their kids are cranky and needing to rest/breastfeed. I shut it off and watched Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat instead.

I'm not sure it's realistic to expect an entire traveling filming crew and star of a show to work around when the kids are nursing and cranky.  I nursed my kids through preschool and I relactated years later for an adopted kid, so I'm not unsympathetic to breastfeeding or attachment parenting, but that kid was old enough to wait to nurse and the stress from disorder that mom was under was no doubt contributing to crankiness and stress with the kids, so there was unlikely any scenario wherein the kids were going to be calm for an entire filming session. 

• Like 7

I'm a natural purger and not sentimental about stuff, but the thing about sparking joy is that it can help people like me who might be holding onto redundant practical items I don't really want.  It's a way to give permission to someone who really does want less stuff in the space to get rid of those more ambiguous pieces by fine tuning the purging process.  If I have several useful, practical items that work but I don't need all of them, the spark joy test turns off the analysis and focuses on prioritizing from a different angle.  It made it much more efficient because it tapped into deep satisfaction, the closest someone like me will ever get to being joyful about inanimate objects.  Having applied it several years ago, I see how effective it is for me because it's so dang satisfying keeping the things that passed the spark test.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, arctic_bunny said:

I started at episode 6, because it seemed most appropriate. I was sad to find out there really is no magic. You have to just get off your butt and do it. Sigh.

Pretty much lol.  It's amazing how famous she has become.  People have been doing the purging thing (minus the "sparking joy" thing) forever.  Kondo was just able to write it down and market it.  Genius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

I'm a natural purger and not sentimental about stuff, but the thing about sparking joy is that it can help people like me who might be holding onto redundant practical items I don't really want.  It's a way to give permission to someone who really does want less stuff in the space to get rid of those more ambiguous pieces by fine tuning the purging process.  If I have several useful, practical items that work but I don't need all of them, the spark joy test turns off the analysis and focuses on prioritizing from a different angle.  It made it much more efficient because it tapped into deep satisfaction, the closest someone like me will ever get to being joyful about inanimate objects.  Having applied it several years ago, I see how effective it is for me because it's so dang satisfying keeping the things that passed the spark test.

Sparking joy? I have a lot of things that I have used for years that I use faithfully that do not spark joy.  Should I get rid of it?  Like my 16 year old salad spinner.  Spark joy?  Not so much.  Should I replace it with a fancier joy sparking model?  Why would I do that?  

Edited by solascriptura
  • Like 2

"Sparks joy" doesn't have to be giddy excitement.  "Sparks joy" can be appreciation for the task.

Sparks joy isn't about buying new things but evaluating what you own.

Eta: "sparks joy" helps with purchase decisions but isn't about replacing everything

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, solascriptura said:

Pretty much lol.  It's amazing how famous she has become.  People have been doing the purging thing (minus the "sparking joy" thing) forever.  Kondo was just able to write it down and market it.  Genius.

But the "sparking joy thing" *is* new and is the crux of her method.

There are lots of methods because people respond to different things.  It doesn't make a method wrong if you don't like it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, solascriptura said:

Sparking joy? I have a lot of things that I have used for years that I use faithfully that do not spark joy.  Should I get rid of it?  Like my 16 year old salad spinner.  Spark joy?  Not so much.  Should I replace it with a fancier joy sparking model?  Why would I do that?  

Uh, wow.  You did read my post, right?  That part where I was someone who wanted to get rid of stuff, but was conflicted about how to choose between redundant (as in, items I already had but I didn't want as many) items. Deep satisfaction is what I classified as parking joy and you saw that, right? Why did you quote my post if you disregarded all the relevant parts entirely and then ask questions as though I hadn't addressed the themes of the questions you posted?  What exactly is your motivation here?

It was a fun series and a distraction.  I have to agree with A Slob Comes Clean, in that triyng that method, unless I have whole chunks of time, is too overwhelming for me to use practically.  I can do it for a small subcategory, but not a whole category at once.  

I do love her tips and general sense and advice about thinking about things.  Doing smaller areas at once is better for me and focusing on visibility and practicality first.  Idk, I mash all sorts of ideas together. 

I can’t wait for Gretchen Rubin’s new decluttering book in March 🙂

Edited by displace
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, displace said:

I do love her tips and general sense and advice about thinking about things.  Doing smaller areas at once is better for me and focusing on visibility and practicality first.  Idk, I mash all sorts of ideas together. 

I can’t wait for Gretchen Rubin’s new decluttering book in March 🙂

I've done Fly Lady, Managers of their Home, Marie Kondo and A Slob Comes Clean.  They've all been useful and I've pulled ideas from all of them to apply what works for me.  I haven't arrived by any means but I'm finding my own way and over time and I am getting better. I've just started using an app checklist so I'm hoping that no longer having to mentally think about what needs to be done will help me keep focused on what jobs need to be done.

• Like 4

I watched the first episode, got inspired, and threw out 72 plastic lids that no longer had mates. None of them sparked joy 😄.  I’ve been moving away from plastic for food storage anyway, but I have a big drawer that held all the lids and just haven’t culled in years. Now both my few remaining plastic tops and bottoms fit nicely in that drawer and it makes me happy.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I watched it and really enjoyed it. I do like her method and was struck by a couple of things. One, I loved the introducing herself to the house. I do believe that houses have a "feel" to them and respecting what the house brings to your life makes you happier, I think.

Also, people struggle with different things. Some people had a really hard time getting rid of clothes, others- books or papers. She never judged what or why people wanted to keep certain things- people love things in different ways.

Finally, I like the insistence that everyone do their own stuff. It takes away the dynamic of one person seeming to say that someone else's possessions are trash.

• Like 6

I watched part of the first episode so far, out of curiosity. Marie is utterly adorable! I have not read the book, though I have read about the principals of the book, and I don't think that I can accept the entire philosophy. The animism bothers me, as a Christian.

Some of the methods could be useful, but not all. I don't, for example, want to fold my shirts and pants as she recommends, because they won't fit in my furniture that way. And I don't feel that I need to be nice to my socks and give them a rest in their drawer. I just think that some of it is silly. But I am curious to see the ideas she has for kitchens; I haven't gotten to those scenes yet.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I watched part of the first episode so far, out of curiosity. Marie is utterly adorable! I have not read the book, though I have read about the principals of the book, and I don't think that I can accept the entire philosophy. The animism bothers me, as a Christian.

Some of the methods could be useful, but not all. I don't, for example, want to fold my shirts and pants as she recommends, because they won't fit in my furniture that way. And I don't feel that I need to be nice to my socks and give them a rest in their drawer. I just think that some of it is silly. But I am curious to see the ideas she has for kitchens; I haven't gotten to those scenes yet.

There are few entire philosophies most people could accept. 

I'm a conservative Christian too, so I adapt/translate accordingly.  Instead of thanking the objects for their service in my life I take the opportunity to thank God for providing me with them.  While I wouldn't greet a house, I can pray silently when I enter someone else's house thanking God for the time I'm spending with those inside and ask him to bless them and our time together. (I did that before I ever heard of Marie Kondo.) If it's my own house I thank God for it, those who live there with me, and those who will visit it.  Instead of waking up books I can wake up my awareness of where I am now in life (sometimes excess accumulation is mindless habit for me) and I can zero in on what I really want now and in the future rather than hanging onto things that aren't contributing to my life now. Instead of folding the socks to give the a more comfortable rest between wearings, I just fold them to avoid stretching out the elastic because I know how elastic works.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, StellaM said:

Tidied my clothes Kondo style - took hardly any time at all, because I've done it regularly over the past four years or so. 

Ready for books! Again, I've done the books frequently, so it won't take long. 

Papers are my downfall.

I did my house Kondo style a few years ago (did it one fall in one go) but as I posted somewhere, I've not kept up enough with things that come into the house and our changing needs and life and with a year plus of crazyness I needed to do it again. (IE my post about giving up minimalism) I was at a breaking point because my tolerance for disorder and clutter is very low and I have less time to deal with things. 

I did my clothes Kondo style last week. I also did my linens. I did dd3's room and the others did their own rooms. I did our games- got rid of about 1/3rd. I went through most of our papers but some our dh's. I did my pantry and kitchen. I'm aiming to do my books and clothes in storage (different sizes hand-me downs in the basement- I thinned them out year before last and do not keep anything the youngest girl or my son grow out of but I think I can likely think them some more). Both of those jobs will take more time than I have right now. I did get rid of all the magazines in the house that I'd been holding onto but after reading them we don't tend to look at them again. I still have- 1 tote of sentimental items, 1 tote of seasonal decorations, and the 2 small laundry cabinets. I plan on tackling the laundry cabinets and movies today and doing a tote a week. There is also a tote of electronics- dh thinned down from 3 or 4 last year or the year before but I think it can still be thinned but that is his thing.

I watched the first 2 episodes so far, I do appreciate her attitude and her respect. I love that they don't make it a spectacle or shame people, too much of the minimalism movement is about getting on your high horse and I just don't have the time and energy for that. So, I'm still not taking back the minimalism label b/c I don't know that it fits. As before I'm aiming for a house that has what I need and brings me joy in the order it has and having those things I truly want.

I didn't do her folding method before but seeing it in action I get it now like I had not before and it does work well for some shorts and pants. It doesn't work for all of my athletic wear, I'll continue to roll them. This go around I got rid of a few things that I wasn't able to let go of when I did it last time- like my clothe diapers and a few other items I planned to sell but never did, I just let them go. I know that I appreciate a good find at Goodwill, hopefully they will bless someone else.

We still have a massive amount of tools and such, again that is a dh project. When we finally get a shop built that will be done then, as long as they stay in the utility room or shed I let it go.

• Like 6

We moved this summer from a 1300 sq ft house with only three closets, very little storage, and no garage to a 2000+ sq ft house with 10 closets, a three car garage, dry basement storage, and a shed. We got rid of a bunch of stuff before we moved and yet we still have managed to fill this whole house. It doesn’t make sense. I’ve watched the first four episodes of Tidying Up and am thinking I should go through all of our stuff again. I love how her emphasis is keeping what you love and that can mean different amounts of stuff for different people. Some people keep a lot, others are more minimalist.

I loved the family in the third episode. They were so sweet and caring towards each other. I loved how they made cleaning up and organizing a family activity and that dad and kids were so eager to lift the burden on mom. They seem like they really enjoy being together. 🙂

• Like 7

On 1/5/2019 at 8:55 AM, Seasider too said:

Thank you, your comment is what I actually needed to hear and will save me hours in front of the television. 

Seriously, she goes into the room with them, dumps all the clothes/books/etc on the bed and leaves. And the rest of the show is the people arguing over getting rid of stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/4/2019 at 10:50 AM, solascriptura said:

And I did enjoy the book, and I really do like to fold clothes her way, etc. I just thought there would be more tips like that.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:44 AM, cjzimmer1 said:

I've done Fly Lady, Managers of their Home, Marie Kondo and A Slob Comes Clean.  They've all been useful and I've pulled ideas from all of them to apply what works for me.  I haven't arrived by any means but I'm finding my own way and over time and I am getting better. I've just started using an app checklist so I'm hoping that no longer having to mentally think about what needs to be done will help me keep focused on what jobs need to be done.

What I learned from fly lady—routines.  15 item boogie.  Set your timer for 15 minutes, do what you can, and stop.  Only pull out enough stuff to sort to finish in that amount of time.

What I learned from MOTH—Some people use index cards to schedule their cleaning.  I will never ever been one of those people.  The idea of that is horrifying to me.  No judgement though.

What I learned from Marie Kondo—Really, not much that is useful except that joy is a valid reason to keep something.  I already knew that but it’s nice to hear it from an organizer.

What I learned from A Slob Comes Clean—The idea of containers setting limits on how much you should have.  This is kind of foreign to me but I like it.  For instance, if you have bookshelves, you should not have more books than will fit in them.  I am a bit ambivalent about this concept, but it’s working for me somewhat.  Also, the idea that you don’t have to organize immediately to decluttering—it is valid and makes significant progress to just go around with a garbage bag and a donation box and try to fill them, and then take them out to the garbage and the thrift store immediately, but to leave behind all the stuff that you’re going to keep for now.  Also, the idea of throwing away misc. electronic cords and such.  Whoa!

What I learned from my cousin—A quote, “I’m just trying to think of what I would get rid of to make room for that.”  (This was so foreign to me that it hit me like a thunderbolt.). A more recent quote, “I just feel weighed down by all my stuff.”  (See, honestly it never occurred to me to think of this as a problem, or as a problem that could be solved.). 

What I learned from Organizing From the Inside Out—define the functions that you want in each part of your home, and then set those up.  THEN figure out what to do with the nonessential rest of your stuff.  Also, your stuff should have to earn a place in your life.

What I learned from Betty Friedan—Housework expands to fill the time available.  (My codicil—I will never let this happen to me.  Nev. Er.). (And for proof that she was right, I point to the extremely thick  and, dare I say, Over. The Top. books ‘Home Comforts’ and ‘Training Our Daughters To Be Keepers In The Home’.)

ETA:  What I learned from Swedish Death Cleaning--it's time for me to stop saving things for others, and to start either placing them with the others or simply getting rid of them.  And I can do this slowly and gently and really enjoy it.  

What I figured out myself--I can decide to have a lovely space, and make it happen.  Once I did it in one place, I learned essential skills in doing it in another.  And letting go of things gets easier and easier as the out of sight, out of mind thing kicks in--meaning that even things that are super important to me right now might not have that emotional weight in a couple of years, and that will be a great time to get rid of them.  Also, things show up again in life, and often are way cheaper down the road (for instance, the Big Family Dining tables that I used to drool over are now so cheap that people can hardly give them away, so now they are much more affordable!  You never know!  Plus neighborhood elists and freecycle have made me feel like I can let things go because if I need them again they probably won't cost much.)  And lastly, I can decide that even if I like/want something, I don't want it enough to give it a spot in my home; in which case getting rid of it just makes sense.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, 2ndGenHomeschooler said:

I loved the family in the third episode. They were so sweet and caring towards each other. I loved how they made cleaning up and organizing a family activity and that dad and kids were so eager to lift the burden on mom. They seem like they really enjoy being together. 🙂

Me too! They were the nicest family!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StellaM said:

Apparently Marie Kondo was a shrine maiden when she was in college. That's interesting. 

Some of the fruit cakey things she does are actually Shinto informed. 

Have I mentioned yet that I really love Marie Kondo ?? 🙂

Thanks for inspiring me to learn something new today and look up shrine maiden.  🙂

• Like 2