Menu

headlight cleaners . .

gardenmom5

OK, I am so sleep deprived that I don't trust myself to know what you mean. I am thinking of the headlights of a car. Is that right? 

DH used a white toothpaste, spread it over the headlights and buffed it off. Worked like a charm. 

Apologies if my tired brain didn't understand the question. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Angie in VA said:

OK, I am so sleep deprived that I don't trust myself to know what you mean. I am thinking of the headlights of a car. Is that right? 

DH used a white toothpaste, spread it over the headlights and buffed it off. Worked like a charm. 

exactly right.

101 uses for toothpaste . . .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angie in VA said:

With the hive it's always best to be careful just in case there's some hidden meaning going on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think Kristen means headlights that have become cloudy due to age. Not regular road grime.

We have a 2001 Honda CRV. We tried all the home remedies and a couple of products that we purchased at an auto store. They did nothing to very little. The last time DH took the car into the Honda dealership for an oil change they said they could fix it. And they did. I don't recall what it cost, but it wasn't much at all. We were pretty much "Duh, why didn't we ask them to begin with?" 

• Like 1

I just went into an auto parts store and purchased one they had on the shelf -- I chose a Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Restorer. Worked great, and I was so proud of my DIY job!

Beforehand I spent some time reading product reviews and car-related forums to see what brands people had the most success with, but in the end I decided I didn't have time or money to order the more expensive, fancy kit that got the best reviews -- this was for dd's 2003 Malibu that had always been parked outside, and she needed to drive it halfway across the country soon after we got it cleaned up. We sold the car about 6 months later, so I don't know how long-lasting it was. They looked fine when we sold the car.

I didn't even know cleaning headlights was a thing until I saw how bad hers were and started researching it online. Ever since then I tend to walk through parking lots judging how yellowed and cloudy the headlights are. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

The last time DH took the car into the Honda dealership for an oil change they said they could fix it. And they did. I don't recall what it cost, but it wasn't much at all. 

My husband ask the Jiffy Lube staff to clean our headlights for us together with the oil change and it was as good as new after they clean it for free. We have a particular Jiffy Lube location we always go to for oil changes (and we use their oil change coupons) so maybe they decided to not charge extra for cleaning headlights as goodwill.

ETA:

Our Corolla headlights were worse than the before photo in link https://www.jiffylubeca.com/jiffy-lube-services/headlight-cleaning-services/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

My dd's headlights were really bad to the point that she was struggling with visibility at night.  We tried everything we had in the house to clean them, even toothpaste.  Then we bought a headlight restoration product from the car store and that didn't work either.  We brought the car to her auto service guy and he had to use a machine on them.  I don't remember if it was a buffer or a sander or both, but they looked brand new after that.