Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW1: Welcome to our Rambling Roads Reading Adventure

Robin M

Josephine%2BWall%2BLady%2Benchanted.jpg

Happy New Year and welcome to another round of Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time,  and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Our reading quest began ten years ago and during that period of time, our armchair travels have taken us all over the world and back again.  This year we are going to ramble and rove around the globe, follow multiple rabbit trails. Whether you are a fan of fiction or nonfiction, like to juggle multiple books at once, love to reread favorite authors over and over, explore different genres, new to you authors, or stick to the tried and true, this is the place for you.

I know what you're thinking. The goal is to read 52 books in 52 weeks so you’ll aim is to read one book a week.  However, there are books that take longer than a week to read. And there are some books that can be read in two or three hours.   I don't want anyone to sacrifice quality for quantity by reading a short book just to make the goal for the week.  Read what you want, explore and dive into those longer books, engage your mind and soul and don't worry.  Do your best, challenge yourself and see what happens.  

To aid us in our reading adventures, we have several optional challenges to entice you which may be found on the top menu bar of  52 Books in 52 Weeks blog.    Follow in the footsteps of  bookish detectives, sleuths, and private eyes with our spelling and reading challenge,  Whodunit Bookology.  Traverse different times, places, or spaces with another round of 52 Books Bingo.  Delve into the world of music and silence with The Sound of Silence.    

We have a few perpetual challenges including our Brit Trip Adventure along the Roman roads of England.  Snoop along with  Agatha Christie or dig into great books with Susan Wise Bauer's Well Educated Mind or the Nobel Prize Winners.   Explore the world of science fiction and fantasy with Mind Voyages or Feed Your Muse with poetry, essays and short stories. Read alphabetically with Alphabet Soup, or answer the call of those Dusty and Chunky books sitting on your shelves.  

Plus I'll introduce various mini challenges throughout the year to tickle your reading taste buds. As always, you may choose to travel along with me or follow your own path.  

Are you ready to go?  Grab your backpacks and a new pair of walking shoes, a map to all the bookstores and libraries around the world and get ready to ramble as we wander through the centuries and continents and across the seas and outer space.   

I'm headed to the other side of the world to the far eastern shores of the continent of Asia where traditionally we start out the year with Haruki Murakami, a fan favorite of many 52 Book a Week readers.  I have Kafka on the Shore and Killing Commendatore as well as a dusty and chunky book  - James Michener's The Source  -  which has been calling my name for quite a while.

“I still love books. Nothing a computer can do can compare to a book. You can't really put a book on the Internet. Three companies have offered to put books by me on the Net, and I said, 'If you can make something that has a nice jacket, nice paper with that nice smell, then we'll talk.' All the computer can give you is a manuscript. People don't want to read manuscripts. They want to read books. Books smell good. They look good. You can press it to your bosom. You can carry it in your pocket.”  ― Ray Bradbury 

My shelves are overflowing with dusty books. They kept having babies, because I like to keep my books rather than use the library.   I amused myself last year reading way too many ebooks. So my plan this year is I can only read one ebook for every two physical books.  Plus I'm extending my book buying ban which includes those tantalizing freebie virtual books, through June. New releases from your 'I can't stand it, they published a new book in the series, what am I going to do, he or she is my favorite author' are certainly allowed. *grin*   Join me in clearing your tbr shelves and see how long you can go without buying a new book. 

~Cheers to a wonderful new reading year~

What are your goals for this week, month, or year? What are you reading? If you haven’t shared your end of the year wrap up yet, I’m looking forward to hearing all about it.

Link to 2018 week 52

• Like 13

Happy New Year, my lovelies.  I finished Ready Player One last night and enjoyed all the 80's references as well as the story.   We'll be watching the movie later tonight.  

Starting out the year with Murakami and Kafka on the Shore.

😘

• Like 13

Hi everyone! I know I'm late to the party but I got sick right after Christmas and finally feel back to normal enough to post. 

I ended up reading 87 books this year, the most ever. For Brit-Tripping I filled in at least 19 counties but I know I actually did more than that but just couldn't remember which county I was in by the end of the story and it always seemed to happen when I was on my kindle which is such a bear to search through.  Also, it seemed that every book I wanted to read that was set in England was based in London.

I read a lot of mysteries this year - my favorites had to be Magpie Murders and The Word is Murder both by Anthony Horowitz.

I also read a few books that were not my usual type - The Bees by Laline Paull was so good! And A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay was definitely out of character for me. 

I still haven't finished my reread of Kristin Lavransdatter. I'm always happy when I'm reading it but find I tend to set it down when something new and shiny shows up.

I listened to around 16 audio books  - Dracula was my favorite! What a great story!

Overall I've been happy with my reading and am looking forward to this year. 🙂 

• Like 12

For all our newbies - We have a 10 x 10 challenge to celebrate the 10th anniversary of 52 Books. Read 10 books in 10 categories.  It can be amended to one book in ten, two books in ten or five books in ten categories if you choose.   Here are my 10 categories:

1% of 1001 Books
Book Chain
Creative Nonfiction
Digits and Directions
Fantasy Rules
Hubby's Picks
Revisit old Friends 
Sound of Silence
Who's on First
Whodunits

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

I read this thread weekly, but rarely post.  But, I really want to participate next year, so I thought I'd chime in with my wrap up for 2018 and goals for this year.  Added bonus, my dd is going to participate this year.  She wants to complete the BINGO.  I'll just post her updates along with mine.

2018 was a tough year for our family.  Because of that I only managed 44 books last year, mostly fluff. 

My favorites for 2018:

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry - loved this audiobook!

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - my dd and I really enjoyed this one.

Upstairs at the Whitehouse by JB West- might have been my only non-fiction.  Delightful.

The Quiet American - this was my first Greene.  It won't be my last.

Goals for 2019:

• 72 books
  • The Divine Comedy
  • Finish Christie's Hercule Poirot books in order
  • Paradise Lost
  • 10 books by Russian authors
  • DD and I are both aiming for Bingo
  • Homemade variation of the 10x10 - I'm doing a 5x10
  • Enjoy my reading more!!!

I'm currently reading How Dante Can Save Your Life by Dreher, Secondhand Time by Alexievich, and Poirot's Early Cases by Christie.

DD's first read of the year is A Long Way Home by Louise Penny.

• Like 12

Happy New Year!

On the nightstand:

The Sirens of Titan (Kurt Vonnegut; 1959)
Reasons to Stay Alive (Matt Haig; 2001)
The People in the Trees (Hanya Yanagihara; 2013)
The Awakening (Kate Chopin; 1899)
Becoming (Michelle Obama; 2018)
Fear (Bob Woodward; 2018)
Dopesick (Beth Macy; 2018)

And, as I shared in the previous thread, here’s my goal: In 2019, I will read one hundred books from my shelves (i.e., the books must have been in my collection before the end of 2018), including at least twenty-four non-fiction titles and at least one book from each of the following “special collections”: Shakespeare, poetry, NYRB, Vonnegut, Joyce Carol Oates, philosophy, art, and children’s / YA. Since I’ve been finishing between 120 and 150 books annually for the last few years, this goal leaves me a little room for impulsivity.

And for folks who like this sort of thing, here’s a recent image of part of my library:

C1E89898-C9F8-459E-8E15-6A6F14E8667D.jpeg

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mom22es said:

Goals for 2019:

• 72 books
  • The Divine Comedy
  • Paradise Lost

I love Graham Greene! Which of his do you think you'll read next?

I also love that you have Dante and Milton and Russians in general on your New Year Goal List. Now I kind of want to cast my careful 10x10 categories aside and read those instead.

• Like 9

Re-posted from Week 50, my 10x10 categories, slightly revised:

The Brexit Special: 10 European countries, not including the UK
Scots Wha' Hae: Scottish books
Don't Mess With Texas: Texas, cowboys, or both
Plucked From the Air: chosen via the atmospheric noise Truly Random generator
Little Oval on the Spine: published by New York Review of Books
A is for Amy who...: cover art by Edward Gorey
Bad Catholic: the sort of books they read at that parish you don't go to
DramaticLyric & Epic: poetry in all its glorious variety
The Shame List: "Really? You've never read that?"

And a new tenth category, because dh wants me to read through English history in drama with him:

The Hollow Crown: English history on the stage

Currently I'm reading Isak Dineson's Anecdotes of Destiny & Ehrengard, two short works together in one book. One of the stories is "Babette's Feast," which we all remember from the movie version. Middle Girl plucked this from the air for me, and it's also a Brexit Special (Denmark). I hope to read 100 separate books for 10x10 but I'm certainly not above double-counting.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

I love Graham Greene! Which of his do you think you'll read next?

I also love that you have Dante and Milton and Russians in general on your New Year Goal List. Now I kind of want to cast my careful 10x10 categories aside and read those instead.

I'm thinking The End of the Affair for my next Greene.

• Like 8

On the night stand, and scattered around the house...(in other words what I'm currently working on)

Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds (The perfect bed time read -- a few lyrical chapters on the delights of backyard and neighborhood birds.)
Foundryside (chunky sci-fi on audio.)
All Strangers are Kin (finishing from 2018, a memoir of traveling in the Middle East to master the Arabic language)

I also have 2 map books, which I received as Christmas presents, to dip in and out of:

The Writer's Map: An Atlas of Imaginary Lands
All Over the Map: A Cartographic Odyssey

• Like 12

Waving guys......I am out with the family and carrying the iPad so I needed to check in on the first day of our new reading year!

Love the new category VC!  

@mom22es Tell you Dd she is extremely welcome and that I LOVE Louise Penny!  Waiting for my hold to arrive on the latest.

This morning I started listening to After Dark by Murakami.  I try to read a Murakami in the first week or two each year......so far it is a classic.  I should pull out the Murakami bingo card!

@Mothersweets Glad you are on the mend!

I’ll post more later.  Happy New Year!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

On the night stand, and scattered around the house...(in other words what I'm currently working on)

Rare Encounters with Ordinary Birds (The perfect bed time read -- a few lyrical chapters on the delights of backyard and neighborhood birds.)
All Strangers are Kin (finishing from 2018, a memoir of traveling in the Middle East to master the Arabic language)

I also have 2 map books, which I received as Christmas presents, to dip in and out of:

Fourteen or so years ago, Haupt’s Rare Encounters introduced me to the “bird of the year” game. This year, I awoke to the sound of house sparrows in the bushes beneath my bedroom window. The window-hanging was slightly raised, so, to avoid seeing them, I squeezed my eyes shut, rolled to the other side of the bed, and went back to sleep. I admit: Yes, I’d like a crow or a blue jay. Is that too much to ask? Later, when I finally walked out into the living room, three cardinals, a house finch, and several dark-eyed juncos were at the feeding station, but what did I see first?

House sparrows.

• Like 7

I am currently rereading The Sound and The Fury with DS, and I remembered how much I love Faulkner. And Flannery O'Connor. And Eudora Welty. So much so that I needed to give them a category for next year.

--

Below is my revision of my 10x10 plan. There will be plenty of overlap - I don't read 100 books in a year.

1) 1960s. I think I am the most excited about this category. 

2) In Danish. I plan to make this the "Year of Reading Danishly." If I succeed in that but fail in all other reading goals, I will be content.

3) Non-Tropical Islands (Greenland, Faroes, Scottish Islands, Iceland, etc.)

4) Fantasy (broadly defined - includes myth, fable, fairy tales). I need to read some more Neil Gaiman before I hear him speak in May.

5) Good Catholic / Bad Catholic. I have spiritual angst. Not sure if this will help or hurt, lol.

6) Nordic

7) Poetry - full books, not dip-ins.

#8) The American South. I thought about calling it Southern Gothic but I don't want to quibble (with myself) about whether or not a book is S. Gothic. I will add to my 50-states challenge through this category.

9) Around-the-world, a perpetual challenge. Planning to wander around Eastern Europe for a chunk of time.

10) Politics - Political theory, political philosophy, exiled poets. I am going to tackle On Politics: A History of Political Thought from Herodotus to the Present.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, mom22es said:

I'm thinking The End of the Affair for my next Greene.

I listened to this while driving to the grocery and back. Recommend. The quiet American is my favorite Greene though. I walked by the Continental in Saigon last (!!) year and had a moment 😂

FEEA9D1E-EC24-40AA-8C1E-E44C815D806C.jpegEta found a photo on my blog! 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 13

I'm going to give this a try!

I do literature units with my 11th & 5th graders and love those, but I want to prioritize personal reading. I am sort-of part of two book clubs, but that got me busy reading stuff that wasn't really up my alley (like TWO Jodi Picoult books) and frankly I have finite reading time so I want to get the most out of it. So I am stepping back from the clubs and focusing on my personal to-read list. I've been reading more thriller-type books, as well as Louise Penney's books (which I think are considered cozy mysteries). I run a monthly middle-school book club, so I am always looking for great middle-grade books.

I booted up Goodreads, cleaned up my "shelves," and am setting up accounts for the kids. I got two books for Christmas: Becoming by Michelle Obama and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, so I am starting with those.

• Like 12

I don't know if I'll do categories, just try to read in my "spare" time. I'm working on The Ghosts of GreenGlass House (sequel of a book I finished at the end of the year) and listening to Christopher (and Angela) Paolini's The Fork, The Witch, and the Worm that just came out on the 31st. Both are from the library.

I have a few books on hold (when they get checked back in) and then I'll think strategically about my goals for this year. I'm always a bit behind (our Christmas letters usually go out in March or April) . . .I have two "schoolish" books I want to read- one on writing essays & one with sample essays. So, that's on my list before August . . .

• Like 10

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I don't know if I'll do categories, just try to read in my "spare" time. I'm working on The Ghosts of GreenGlass House (sequel of a book I finished at the end of the year) and listening to Christopher (and Angela) Paolini's The Fork, The Witch, and the Worm that just came out on the 31st. Both are from the library.

I have a few books on hold (when they get checked back in) and then I'll think strategically about my goals for this year. I'm always a bit behind (our Christmas letters usually go out in March or April) . . .I have two "schoolish" books I want to read- one on writing essays & one with sample essays. So, that's on my list before August . . .

Oh Wow!  We loved the Inheritance series.  I had now idea there was a new book.  Confession time, I still haven’t read the fourth.....when I bought it sibling arguments hit an all time high and I think I gave up.  No excuses but it just required too much energy, it sits on a bookshelf in Dd’s room unread by me.  I probably should reread them all because I have done a reread before each release except four because the first three were a problem too!    So The Fork, The Witch and the Worm belongs where in the reading order?  It’s a spin off from what I can tell.........

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

I will try this. I won’t take a specific challenge because the challenge is just to read things on top what DS is reading 😒

It’s Jude the Obscure this week. It’s a DS book, guilty, but 1. I picked it and 2. we are moving through at a fast clip so maybe in a week?

Jude the Obscure was heavily considered as a group read here last summer and some of us did read it......I ended up with The Mayor of Casterbridge which I really enjoyed.  Looking forward to hearing what you think of it!

Seriously no worries about quantity.  This group is all about enjoying our own reading journey and sharing ideas.  I love the challenges now but did not go near one for the first 3 years I posted here beyond a couple of Robin’s occasional weekly challenges that fit what I already planned to read.   Since I tend to read series books by choice the challenges push me into some new genres which I love.  Currently reading far more Sci Fi and Fantasy than I ever imagined possible thanks to BaWers who post great reviews.  My kids think I am pretty cool occasionally thanks to the Sci Fi (then they catch me with a Flufferton type book with a hilarious cover in their opinion).

So for The Scavenger Hunt Challenge I have my words.......I decided to go with the first book of the New Year which is Murakami’s After Dark on audio so I checked a kindle copy out too and highlighted every tenth or so word on the tenth page.  My words are seat, next, mind, soon, somebody, before, words, mean, right, table.  My words could be more challenging but I think I am content as I think I will be able to complete this challenge without reading several books I dislike. 😂 

I am getting ready to put my stack of current reads out on goodreads and it’s heathy.  Some will be abandoned and others not finished for a month or two.  So for my new friends there I know it’s obnoxious but it means I don’t forget to add books to the read pile in the end.  Btw,  I am MumtoTwo on Goodreads if anyone wants a friend. 🙂

Here is a link to my shelf of Brit Tripping ideas if anyone wants to explore it.  https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385?shelf=brit-tripping-ideas

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

I am currently rereading The Sound and The Fury with DS, and I remembered how much I love Faulkner. And Flannery O'Connor. And Eudora Welty. So much so that I needed to give them a category for next year.

--

Below is my revision of my 10x10 plan. There will be plenty of overlap - I don't read 100 books in a year.

2) In Danish. I plan to make this the "Year of Reading Danishly." If I succeed in that but fail in all other reading goals, I will be content.

4) Fantasy (broadly defined - includes myth, fable, fairy tales). I need to read some more Neil Gaiman before I hear him speak in May.

5) Good Catholic / Bad Catholic. I have spiritual angst. Not sure if this will help or hurt, lol.

6) Nordic

#8) The American South. I thought about calling it Southern Gothic but I don't want to quibble (with myself) about whether or not a book is S. Gothic. I will add to my 50-states challenge through this category.

9) Around-the-world, a perpetual challenge. Planning to wander around Eastern Europe for a chunk of time.

10) Politics - Political theory, political philosophy, exiled poets. I am going to tackle On Politics: A History of Political Thought from Herodotus to the Present.

I love your list, Penguin!

For next year, I'm going to also do the 10x10 challenge.  Unfortunately, if part of the challenge to come up with cool titles for each category, I flunk that part of it. :blush: Here's my list of categories with no fun names (there will be some overlap)... 

1. Books over 500 pages 
  2. Books in Spanish
  3. Books in German
  4. Science fiction
  5. Fantasy
  6. Translated
  7. Non-fiction (not biography or memoir)
  8. Biography-or-memoir
  9. Books from countries not yet visited in Read-the-World Challenge
  10. Books from series I started in a previous year

I will also likely do Bingo again, as I don't seem to be able to help myself... :laugh:

I set myself up on Goodreads with 104 books for next year's challenge there.  And speaking of Goodreads, I didn't post a complete list of what I read last year here, but if anyone wants to see the pretty Year-in-Books wrap-up Goodreads made for me, it's here

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 9

I had a goal last year to read 10 books. 

My health has been kind of poor the last few years.  I had 3 straight years of nearly daily migraines.  Reading a book was nearly impossible.

I read 62!! (Actually 63 because I also read through the Bible.)  I also read 100+ short stories (mostly O. Henry and E.A. Poe).

My goal for this year is 52 books.

I didn't even know about the bonus challenges until last week.  I accidentally completed the Agatha Christie and Well-Educated Mind Challenges and I read 3 Nobel Prize authors (4 if you count Malala, but her award wasn't in literature.)  I plan to do those same challenges again this year.

• Like 19

Good job, @Junie

I have set my 2019 reading goal at 60 books. I am kicking around some smaller parameters but I haven’t completely decided on them. They may include these in some form: 

1) read at least one Writer’s book from my shelves per month

2) read at least one classic per month

3) read at least one other book from my shelves per month.

4) don’t acquire new books for now. It’s too ridiculous.

I have also made my own version of 52-week Bingo. I may post my categories for you all, but it’s downstairs and I’m all snuggling now so not happening right now. My “sipping” book for the next few months or half year will be Les Miserables, which I will be listening to on Audible. Oh! And Audible credits are exempt from the not acquiring new books. Because!

My parameters worry me some because if I did those listed above and also my IRL book club book each month, that is four books “decided” already each month. Hmmm. A conundrum. 

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

So The Fork, The Witch and the Worm belongs where in the reading order? 

It is possible that I learned about the new book via a Goodreads email. The books seems to be a bunch of short stories that take place after the fourth book, so you need to read the fourth book before moving onto this one, probably. I just started the second chapter & it is a completely different setting/characters than the first, so that's my guess.

I'm a big Fantasy/Sci Fi nut from way back, so that should be a category. (Plus, I should get around to reading the first two of my friend's books (Traitor's Trilogy) before her third comes out, right? My girls liked them.) 

And Education Books since I already habe two (and more on my nightstand), so there's a second category.

And YA Fiction will likely be a third category because half of what I read is in that category already.

• Like 8

Okay so I said I would join this year and here I am. It appears  I have to set a goal. So I am going with the 52 books a year theme. I should be able to do this fairly easily.

For Brit Tripping I have just the perfect title: "Final Cut - A Brit in the FBI" by Coulter. Does this count?  😊

Before I hit this one though, I have to finish The Benedict Option by Dreher and "The Edge" by Coulter.

Don't know if categories will work for me but I am willing to give it a try here and there. I tend to distract myself with whatever book genre comes to mind - most often crime stories but sometimes also "Anne of Green Gables" for a gentle ride.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 11

17 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

Okay so I said I would join this year and here I am. It appears  I have to set a goal. So I am going with the 52 books a year theme. I should be able to do this fairly easily.

For Brit Tripping I have just the perfect title: "Final Cut - A Brit in the FBI" by Coulter. Does this count?  😊

Before I hit this one though, I have to finish The Benedict Option by Dreher and "The Edge" by Coulter.

Don't know if categories will work for me but I am willing to give it a try here and there. I tend to distract myself with whatever book genre comes to mind - most often crime stories but sometimes also "Anne of Green Gables" for a gentle ride.

It counts as long as part of it actually takes place in England.  I went to Goodreads and read the description and I “think” it will start in London at Scotland Yard so perfect for that category.   I hope you join us!  I plan to record my visits but will not be following the order at all this year!  I had problems with the order last year!

Some books are set in imaginary England in a fictional little village or similar.  Those books are considered wild cards and can be used for a county that you have no book for.

Tip for Kindle book readers, when I encounter a location description when reading that will be useful in terms of county I highlight it.  At the end of the book I can go back and record my locations from my highlights.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

👋 Good Evening. Waving hi to new faces and old.   Spent the day taking down Christmas decorations, inside and out, cleaning up the living room and putting the furniture back in proper places. Major production to bring in a tree.  Have recovered my reading/writing nook so some time writing and gathering thoughts for the new year.  Watched the New Year’s Dr Who special.  Now we have to wait until 2020 for the next season.  Pooh!   @mumto2 have you guys watched any of the new season yet?  

@Melissa M  Saw a tiny and adorable sparrow this morning hopping through the morning glories. Had totally forgotten about the first bird of the new year until you mentioned it.  What do the sparrows symbolize?

Loving all the lists and plans.  Will respond more tomorrow. Totally tired. 

Night y’all. 

😘

• Like 9

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

We just read Greenglass House for my middle-school book club! Great book. There are a few others in the series/world - my son loved Bluecrowne and The Left-Handed Fate.

• Like 8

Nice to see so many new faces - not to say I'm not also happy to see the familiar regulars as well!  

Happy new  year to all.

I'm starting off the year with A Crack in the Edge of the World, a book about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. I wanted to start my personal USA nonfiction challenge* right away, and chose that for the first book somewhat due to availability, but also because I spent most of my life in the SF Bay area and I'm enjoying the familiarity of the locations.  I have it on kindle and also audiobook so I can switch back and forth. I also have to pick up the "real" book at the library as it seems the kindle edition doesn't have the illustrations!  Or I can't find them, anyway.   I may end up stuck in Cali for a while because while reading it I remembered that we have John McPhee's Assembling California and I do so love John McPhee...

Also reading The Moonspinners, my first Mary Stewart novel, which I picked up on a kindle sale last month.

Happy reading, everyone!

*A nonfiction book based in each of the 50 States. This is not meant to be completed this year... 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 9

40 minutes ago, marbel said:

Nice to see so many new faces - not to say I'm not also happy to see the familiar regulars as well!  

Happy new  year to all.

I'm starting off the year with A Crack in the Edge of the World, a book about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. I wanted to start my personal USA nonfiction challenge* right away, and chose that for the first book somewhat due to availability, but also because I spent most of my life in the SF Bay area and I'm enjoying the familiarity of the locations.  I have it on kindle and also audiobook so I can switch back and forth. I also have to pick up the "real" book at the library as it seems the kindle edition doesn't have the illustrations!  Or I can't find them, anyway.   I may end up stuck in Cali for a while because while reading it I remembered that we have John McPhee's Assembling California and I do so love John McPhee...

Also reading The Moonspinners, my first Mary Stewart novel, which I picked up on a kindle sale last month.

Happy reading, everyone!

*A nonfiction book based in each of the 50 States. This is not meant to be completed this year... 

Your US challenge is a great idea! Looking forward to your posts about it!

The Moonspinners was one of my all time favorites from my teenage years.  One of my first adult books!  I reread it when Dd was a young teen and still enjoyed it. 😀

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Tip for Kindle book readers, when I encounter a location description when reading that will be useful in terms of county I highlight it.  At the end of the book I can go back and record my locations from my highlights.

This is a great idea!  I always forget to mark locations and then don't want to take the time to look back through the book when I'm working on my list.  

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Nope -- no need to set and state a goal!! I've never done any challenges or goals, though I almost completed bingo one year by accident as the books I had read nicely fit into the bingo spaces.

@marbel Crack in the Edge of the World is the Simon Winchester book, yes? Does he mention in the book that he studied geology at Oxford (or was it Cambridge?) I always enjoy his books, especially when he reads them on audible. The Krakatoa book is my favorite. It is in that book that he discusses his geology studies, including a research trip he went on in Greenland back in the 60s or 70s. I haven't read the California book as I'm not sure I would glean anything new.

AND @Robin M and @Melissa M (alas it seems I can't tag her) my first bird of the year was a lovely white crowned sparrow, which only visit us from October to March. I especially love their song. And last night I stayed awake listening to the magical sounds of a Great Horned Owl hooting. Perhaps it portends a great musical year?

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

AND @Robin M and @Melissa M (alas it seems I can't tag her) my first bird of the year was a lovely white crowned sparrow, which only visit us from October to March. I especially love their song. And last night I stayed awake listening to the magical sounds of a Great Horned Owl hooting. Perhaps it portends a great musical year?

@Melissa M There, I tagged her for you.

Ah! You will be enjoying the royal-sounding Year of the White Crowned Sparrow!

• Like 6

Ok I'm in. 2018 was filled with home renovations/ house sales and very little reading.  I did finish writing a book in 2018 but have thoroughly neglected my reading.  My only goal is 52 books in the year.  I'll start off strong by finishing Stephen King's The Outsider tonight, which I started 4 days ago.  Then I'm picking a classic I've never read, not sure what though.

• Like 8

On 1/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, Mothersweets said:

Hi everyone! I know I'm late to the party but I got sick right after Christmas and finally feel back to normal enough to post. 

I ended up reading 87 books this year, the most ever. For Brit-Tripping I filled in at least 19 counties but I know I actually did more than that but just couldn't remember which county I was in by the end of the story and it always seemed to happen when I was on my kindle which is such a bear to search through.  Also, it seemed that every book I wanted to read that was set in England was based in London.

I read a lot of mysteries this year - my favorites had to be Magpie Murders and The Word is Murder both by Anthony Horowitz.

I also read a few books that were not my usual type - The Bees by Laline Paull was so good! And A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay was definitely out of character for me. 

I still haven't finished my reread of Kristin Lavransdatter. I'm always happy when I'm reading it but find I tend to set it down when something new and shiny shows up.

I listened to around 16 audio books  - Dracula was my favorite! What a great story!

Overall I've been happy with my reading and am looking forward to this year. 🙂 

Glad you are feeling better.  I haven't finished Kristin Lavransdatter either so we'll work on it together.   Most of my Brit Trip books ended up being in London as well. Guess I really like London.  🙂 Great job! 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:13 AM, mom22es said:

Hi All,

I read this thread weekly, but rarely post.  But, I really want to participate next year, so I thought I'd chime in with my wrap up for 2018 and goals for this year.  Added bonus, my dd is going to participate this year.  She wants to complete the BINGO.  I'll just post her updates along with mine.

2018 was a tough year for our family.  Because of that I only managed 44 books last year, mostly fluff. 

My favorites for 2018:

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry - loved this audiobook!

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - my dd and I really enjoyed this one.

Upstairs at the Whitehouse by JB West- might have been my only non-fiction.  Delightful.

Goals for 2019:

• 72 books
  • The Divine Comedy
  • Paradise Lost

I'm currently reading How Dante Can Save Your Life by Dreher, Secondhand Time by Alexievich, and Poirot's Early Cases by Christie.

DD's first read of the year is A Long Way Home by Louise Penny.

Best wishes for a great year and I love your goals.  Now I want to read more Russian authors.  Wonderful that your daughter wants to join in.  Armand Gamache is  a great series. 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, Violet Crown said:

Re-posted from Week 50, my 10x10 categories, slightly revised:

The Brexit Special: 10 European countries, not including the UK
Scots Wha' Hae: Scottish books
Don't Mess With Texas: Texas, cowboys, or both
Plucked From the Air: chosen via the atmospheric noise Truly Random generator
Little Oval on the Spine: published by New York Review of Books
A is for Amy who...: cover art by Edward Gorey
Bad Catholic: the sort of books they read at that parish you don't go to
DramaticLyric & Epic: poetry in all its glorious variety
The Shame List: "Really? You've never read that?"

And a new tenth category, because dh wants me to read through English history in drama with him:

The Hollow Crown: English history on the stage

Currently I'm reading Isak Dineson's Anecdotes of Destiny & Ehrengard, two short works together in one book. One of the stories is "Babette's Feast," which we all remember from the movie version. Middle Girl plucked this from the air for me, and it's also a Brexit Special (Denmark). I hope to read 100 separate books for 10x10 but I'm certainly not above double-counting.

Loving your new tenth category with Hubby.  Thinking I may join you in Brexit Special.   Pretty sure I have enough books set in European countries. 

On 1/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, JennW in SoCal said:

Just added Strangers are Kin to my want list.  🙂

• Like 7

OK, @Violet Crown, you just helped me pick my first Danish book of the year: Skæbne-Anekdoter by Karen Blixen (Anecdotes of Destiny by Isak Dinesen). Thanks! I read these stories in English a few years ago, and I really liked them. Ehrengard is not part of my book, alas. I will be eager to know what you think of it. 

Fun fact: I have never, ever seen her referred to as Isak Dinesen in Denmark.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 5

On 1/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Happy New Year! 

I am still working on The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and The Ruin by Dervla McTiernan (my Audioread). I had a bad reaction to a supplement which sort of derailed my reading a bit the last 24 hours, as I just mostly could muster mindless shows on the internet. Today is an improvement- hoping to be back to 100% by tomorrow. I'd like to finish The Historian this week as The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden (Winternight Trilogy #3) is set to arrive on my doorstep on January 8. I really enjoyed the previous two books, The Bear and the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower and am excited to see how she wraps the series. Maybe Hilary Mantel can take a note that it is possible to complete a three part series in less than a decade. 😉 

Glad you are feeling better. Sorry the supplement hit you the wrong way. Hate when that happens.  All my family swore up and down that Coq10 would be great for me and all it did was give me headaches.  ;(

On 1/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, Melissa M said:

Happy New Year!

On the nightstand:

The Sirens of Titan (Kurt Vonnegut; 1959)
Reasons to Stay Alive (Matt Haig; 2001)
The People in the Trees (Hanya Yanagihara; 2013)
The Awakening (Kate Chopin; 1899)
Becoming (Michelle Obama; 2018)
Fear (Bob Woodward; 2018)
Dopesick (Beth Macy; 2018)

And, as I shared in the previous thread, here’s my goal: In 2019, I will read one hundred books from my shelves (i.e., the books must have been in my collection before the end of 2018), including at least twenty-four non-fiction titles and at least one book from each of the following “special collections”: Shakespeare, poetry, NYRB, Vonnegut, Joyce Carol Oates, philosophy, art, and children’s / YA. Since I’ve been finishing between 120 and 150 books annually for the last few years, this goal leaves me a little room for impulsivity.

And for folks who like this sort of thing, here’s a recent image of part of my library:

C1E89898-C9F8-459E-8E15-6A6F14E8667D.jpeg

I have to show hubby your bookshelves which I drool every time I see them.  One of these days I'll talk him into more bookshelves in the living room and bedroom.  He planned some for the new office and had me scratching my head. Why would I put my books over there? I need them here.  Oh well! 

On 1/1/2019 at 12:59 PM, loesje22000 said:

I set my Goodreads goal today at 104 books again.

I would like to read more in English and hope to finish the Britt Tripp challenge this year.

Great loesje - look forward to hearing about your reads. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, ondreeuh said:

I'm going to give this a try!

I do literature units with my 11th & 5th graders and love those, but I want to prioritize personal reading. I am sort-of part of two book clubs, but that got me busy reading stuff that wasn't really up my alley (like TWO Jodi Picoult books) and frankly I have finite reading time so I want to get the most out of it. So I am stepping back from the clubs and focusing on my personal to-read list. I've been reading more thriller-type books, as well as Louise Penney's books (which I think are considered cozy mysteries). I run a monthly middle-school book club, so I am always looking for great middle-grade books.

I booted up Goodreads, cleaned up my "shelves," and am setting up accounts for the kids. I got two books for Christmas: Becoming by Michelle Obama and The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, so I am starting with those.

Welcome Ondreeuh!  Here's my link on Goodreads.  Just finished updating all my shelves as well.   Love Kristin Hannah!  Enjoy! 

23 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Totally enjoyed Paolini's  Eragon series. It's been ages since I read them.  Glad to see he has another book out.  

On 1/1/2019 at 3:30 PM, Penguin said:

--

6) Nordic

Great list, Penguin.  Some of my categories are generic enough I can fit in some islands and fantasy as well.  Love Neil Gaiman. Have been dipping into The View from the Cheap Seats for quite a while. He's very inspiring. 

22 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Seriously no worries about quantity.  This group is all about enjoying our own reading journey and sharing ideas.  I love the challenges now but did not go near one for the first 3 years I posted here beyond a couple of Robin’s occasional weekly challenges that fit what I already planned to read.   Since I tend to read series books by choice the challenges push me into some new genres which I love.  Currently reading far more Sci Fi and Fantasy than I ever imagined possible thanks to BaWers who post great reviews.  My kids think I am pretty cool occasionally thanks to the Sci Fi (then they catch me with a Flufferton type book with a hilarious cover in their opinion).

So for The Scavenger Hunt Challenge I have my words.......I decided to go with the first book of the New Year which is Murakami’s After Dark on audio so I checked a kindle copy out too and highlighted every tenth or so word on the tenth page.  My words are seat, next, mind, soon, somebody, before, words, mean, right, table.  My words could be more challenging but I think I am content as I think I will be able to complete this challenge without reading several books I dislike. 😂 

I am getting ready to put my stack of current reads out on goodreads and it’s heathy.  Some will be abandoned and others not finished for a month or two.  So for my new friends there I know it’s obnoxious but it means I don’t forget to add books to the read pile in the end.  Btw,  I am MumtoTwo on Goodreads if anyone wants a friend. 🙂

Here is a link to my shelf of Brit Tripping ideas if anyone wants to explore it.  https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385?shelf=brit-tripping-ideas

Ditto - Don't worry about the quantity and you don't have to come up with a number if you don't want to.    

Sandy - love your scavenger hunt words and I'm sure you'll come up with some interesting books. 

I still haven't posted the 10th Anniversary mini challenge stuff on 52 books yet (bad me).  I'm thinking probably keep it at 10 things.  Anyway, part of it is the Scavenger Hunt.  Take the last book you read and go to page ten.  Underline every tenth word up to ten words, ignoring the articles and prepositions, and then read a book with that word in the title.  Can be done any month, just taking the last book you read or go to the last book you read in 2018. However you want to do it, works.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7

Today I finished the Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen) story collection Anecdotes of Destiny. Blixen was an amazing storyteller. Highly recommended.

Middle Girl randomized another one for me: Caesar's De Bello Gallico (in translation). Hm... not quite in the mood for Caesar yet. So I'm reading instead, for the Bad Catholic category, Phil Lawler's verrrrry recent book The Smoke of Satan: How Corrupt and Cowardly Bishops Betrayed Christ, His Church, and the Faithful. Which subtitle pretty much tells you what you need to know.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Penguin said:

OK, @Violet Crown, you just helped me pick my first Danish book of the year: Skæbne-Anekdoter by Karen Blixen (Anecdotes of Destiny by Isak Dinesen). Thanks! I read these stories in English a few years ago, and I really liked them. Ehrengard is not part of my book, alas. I will be eager to know what you think of it. 

Fun fact: I have never, ever seen her referred to as Isak Dinesen in Denmark.

I didn't think Ehrengard (a novella) was as good as the stories in Anecdotes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I love your list, Penguin!

For next year, I'm going to also do the 10x10 challenge.  Unfortunately, if part of the challenge to come up with cool titles for each category, I flunk that part of it. :blush: Here's my list of categories with no fun names (there will be some overlap)... 

1. Books over 500 pages 
  2. Books in Spanish
  3. Books in German
  4. Science fiction
  5. Fantasy
  6. Translated
  7. Non-fiction (not biography or memoir)
  8. Biography-or-memoir
  9. Books from countries not yet visited in Read-the-World Challenge
  10. Books from series I started in a previous year

I will also likely do Bingo again, as I don't seem to be able to help myself... :laugh:

I set myself up on Goodreads with 104 books for next year's challenge there.  And speaking of Goodreads, I didn't post a complete list of what I read last year here, but if anyone wants to see the pretty Year-in-Books wrap-up Goodreads made for me, it's here

Great categories and no, you don't have to come up with names for them. Glad you are loving Bingo.  I looked at the wrap up and realized I only posted about 1/3 of my reads so looks pretty dismal. Off to update Goodreads some more.  🙂 

22 hours ago, Junie said:

I had a goal last year to read 10 books. 

My health has been kind of poor the last few years.  I had 3 straight years of nearly daily migraines.  Reading a book was nearly impossible.

I read 62!! (Actually 63 because I also read through the Bible.)  I also read 100+ short stories (mostly O. Henry and E.A. Poe).

My goal for this year is 52 books.

I didn't even know about the bonus challenges until last week.  I accidentally completed the Agatha Christie and Well-Educated Mind Challenges and I read 3 Nobel Prize authors (4 if you count Malala, but her award wasn't in literature.)  I plan to do those same challenges again this year.

Welcome, Junie.  Oh my gosh. My sister as well as my technician suffer from migraines so know how debilitating that can be.  Glad you found what worked for you so you could function as well as read.  Cheers to a healthy and great reading new year! 

22 hours ago, Quill said:

Good job, @Junie

I have set my 2019 reading goal at 60 books. I am kicking around some smaller parameters but I haven’t completely decided on them. They may include these in some form: 

1) read at least one Writer’s book from my shelves per month

2) read at least one classic per month

3) read at least one other book from my shelves per month.

4) don’t acquire new books for now. It’s too ridiculous.

I have also made my own version of 52-week Bingo. I may post my categories for you all, but it’s downstairs and I’m all snuggling now so not happening right now. My “sipping” book for the next few months or half year will be Les Miserables, which I will be listening to on Audible. Oh! And Audible credits are exempt from the not acquiring new books. Because!

My parameters worry me some because if I did those listed above and also my IRL book club book each month, that is four books “decided” already each month. Hmmm. A conundrum. 

Writers books are always good, especially if they inspire and cook up new ideas to write about.  Looking forward to seeing your modified bingo.  Cheers!

22 hours ago, RootAnn said:

It is possible that I learned about the new book via a Goodreads email. The books seems to be a bunch of short stories that take place after the fourth book, so you need to read the fourth book before moving onto this one, probably. I just started the second chapter & it is a completely different setting/characters than the first, so that's my guess.

I'm a big Fantasy/Sci Fi nut from way back, so that should be a category. (Plus, I should get around to reading the first two of my friend's books (Traitor's Trilogy) before her third comes out, right? My girls liked them.) 

And Education Books since I already habe two (and more on my nightstand), so there's a second category.

And YA Fiction will likely be a third category because half of what I read is in that category already.

Traitor's Trilogy looks interesting. My brother got me interesting in science fiction and fantasy back when I was at teenager and I probably have about 15 boxes full of books sitting in the bottom of my closet. Periodically I take them out and pull out a few books to read.  Such a fun genre to read. 

21 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Don't worry about categories if you are a mood reader. I'm pretty much the same way so just made categories based on what's already on my shelves.  Have fun! 

• Like 5

I think I'm going to give this a go this year. My brain has finally decompressed enough from law school that I've started wanting to read for pleasure again.

Do audiobooks count?

On my current to read list:

The Stand (unabridged) by Stephen King (on audiobook; it's over 28 hours long, so this will definitely take me more than a week, as I listen to audiobooks on my commute and when driving for work, about 6-10 hours a week).

The Táin translated by Ciaran Carson (have to read this one on paper, it's not available on audiobook, more's the pity since I'd like to hear the Irish names and such pronounced correctly!)

The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (third book in the Broken Earth series, currently on hold from the library, the first 2 of which I listened to on audiobook last year).

The Sky-Blue Wolves by S. M. Stirling. That's reportedly the last Emberverse book and it makes me sad that it's so, so I've been putting off reading it.

My overall reading goals are to take in a mix of fiction and nonfiction, spiritually enriching, informative, and fun selections; to keep up with the Druid book discussion/study group I'm in, to put eyes on words not related directly to work more often than last year, and to read books that I bought ages ago and still haven't read.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, melmichigan said:

My final total for 2018 was 94 of 105 books, so I set a goal this year of 100 books. I have no specific categories at this point, but may try to put together ten categories to celebrate the Book a Week since I didn't plan my goal to match, but it might be an omen. 😉

Omen, indeed. Or rather synchronicity.  🙂

11 hours ago, marbel said:

Happy new  year to all.

Happy reading, everyone!

Sounds like a great start with your nonfiction reads. Moonspinners was also one of my favorites way way back when, along with Nine Coaches Waiting and The Ivy Hunt.  I still have all her Merlin books and was just looking at Hollow Hills the other day contemplating a reread. 

5 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Nope -- no need to set and state a goal!! I've never done any challenges or goals, though I almost completed bingo one year by accident as the books I had read nicely fit into the bingo spaces.

@marbel Crack in the Edge of the World is the Simon Winchester book, yes? Does he mention in the book that he studied geology at Oxford (or was it Cambridge?) I always enjoy his books, especially when he reads them on audible. The Krakatoa book is my favorite. It is in that book that he discusses his geology studies, including a research trip he went on in Greenland back in the 60s or 70s. I haven't read the California book as I'm not sure I would glean anything new.

The great horned owl as well as a white crowned sparrow singing to you is definitely a great thing.  Wisdom and foresight and all that good stuff.  ~Cheers~ 

3 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My goal is to spend more time reading than I do on social media.  This is going to be challenging.

Yes, this.  Social media and the celebrity websites. I spend way too much time star watching.  

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Ok I'm in. 2018 was filled with home renovations/ house sales and very little reading.  I did finish writing a book in 2018 but have thoroughly neglected my reading.  My only goal is 52 books in the year.  I'll start off strong by finishing Stephen King's The Outsider tonight, which I started 4 days ago.  Then I'm picking a classic I've never read, not sure what though.

Glad you are joining in.  I know how time consuming and stressful renovations can be. Are you all done or have a bit more to do.  Yeah for finishing writing your book. Is it the first draft or are you all the way done? 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

No challenges for me this year, just trying to increase my reading along with my writing this year. Currently reading:

The Fire In Fiction-Donald Maass  This one makes my writing brain ache. So much to learn and process.

How To Cook Everything Vegetarian-Mark Bittman  Long story, but I have a picky protagonist in a story and I had to figure out how to feed him.

Starting: The Poetry Home Repair Manual-Ted Kooser, and Miserere-Teresa Frohock

I don't know how well I'll do this year. I read a lot last year, but forgot to keep track, and there were a number of books that I just couldn't finish because I wasn't connecting to the characters or the material. I also ended up reading a lot of really excellent stories by fellow writers who were in the querying trenches with me. Some of them now have agents! And so do I, so revising is going to be a top priority for the first half of this year.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Ravin said:

I think I'm going to give this a go this year. My brain has finally decompressed enough from law school that I've started wanting to read for pleasure again.

Do audiobooks count?

On my current to read list:

The Stand (unabridged) by Stephen King (on audiobook; it's over 28 hours long, so this will definitely take me more than a week, as I listen to audiobooks on my commute and when driving for work, about 6-10 hours a week).

The Táin translated by Ciaran Carson (have to read this one on paper, it's not available on audiobook, more's the pity since I'd like to hear the Irish names and such pronounced correctly!)

The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (third book in the Broken Earth series, currently on hold from the library, the first 2 of which I listened to on audiobook last year).

The Sky-Blue Wolves by S. M. Stirling. That's reportedly the last Emberverse book and it makes me sad that it's so, so I've been putting off reading it.

My overall reading goals are to take in a mix of fiction and nonfiction, spiritually enriching, informative, and fun selections; to keep up with the Druid book discussion/study group I'm in, to put eyes on words not related directly to work more often than last year, and to read books that I bought ages ago and still haven't read.

Hi Ravin, Delighted you are joining in this year.    Congratulations on finishing law school.   Did you get your JD or Masters in law?  Love your goals.  I think all of us are trying to read more from our shelves, even though I'm teasing everyone with new books all the time.  Cheers to a wonderful reading year.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Hi Ravin, Delighted you are joining in this year.    Congratulations on finishing law school.   Did you get your JD or Masters in law?  Love your goals.  I think all of us are trying to read more from our shelves, even though I'm teasing everyone with new books all the time.  Cheers to a wonderful reading year.

LOL, thank you. I graduated with my JD...in 2015. I was seriously burned out on reading anything more mentally taxing than fanfic drivel for the longest time!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

No challenges for me this year, just trying to increase my reading along with my writing this year. Currently reading:

The Fire In Fiction-Donald Maass  This one makes my writing brain ache. So much to learn and process.

How To Cook Everything Vegetarian-Mark Bittman  Long story, but I have a picky protagonist in a story and I had to figure out how to feed him.

Starting: The Poetry Home Repair Manual-Ted Kooser, and Miserere-Teresa Frohock

I don't know how well I'll do this year. I read a lot last year, but forgot to keep track, and there were a number of books that I just couldn't finish because I wasn't connecting to the characters or the material. I also ended up reading a lot of really excellent stories by fellow writers who were in the querying trenches with me. Some of them now have agents! And so do I, so revising is going to be a top priority for the first half of this year.

Waving Hi, glad to see you again.  Congrats on the writing front. Sounds you are doing great. When I'm in the midst of writing, I start picking apart all the books I read, especially if it's in the same genre, so read everything else.  Cheers to a wonderful writing and reading new year! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ravin said:

LOL, thank you. I graduated with my JD...in 2015. I was seriously burned out on reading anything more mentally taxing than fanfic drivel for the longest time!

Ah, know exactly what you are talking about.  My son writes fanfiction as well as follows a lot of fanfiction writers and we're currently listening to a multi chapter read of a Zelda story on You Tube. It's not bad. Other stuff has been torture. 😉

• Like 3

No specific reading goals here, other than to read more. 

I’m currently reading Lonesome Dove for my book group. And starting The Iliad to read with oldest. I’m also reading The Fellowship of the Ring and The Girl Who Drank the Moon out-loud to my kids. And we’re listening to The Incorrigible Children and the Unmapped Sea in the car. 

I have many other things on my nightstand but I’m not letting myself look at them until I finish Lonesome Dove or the book club meets (whichever comes first). 

• Like 8