Menu

January Frugalistas

hjffkj

Guy never came to get chair Saturday, never can count on things until the money is in hand. Speaking of which, a guy is supposed to be coming for dh's car tomorrow- $800 cash (that was my final acceptable price), dh's was $900 if it was bought before insurance ($162 for 6 months). We'll see- fingers crossed- that will go to his mom for the "new" truck after dh has bought some hoses for maintenance for the "new" truck, only a couple need changed but due to the age and the fact he has to change out all the transmission fluid when he does it- which is $40 a pop he is going to do them all at one go. He thinks that will $200 or so, I just hope to have $500 when it's left bringing our debt to MIL to $3k. 

No spending this weekend, only things bought so far have been necessities, other than $9 to swimming- groceries, car maintenance, and house maintenance (dh had a pipe leak he head to fix).

• Like 2

I'm really loving all these updates. 

Why do people take so long to get back to you when things feel urgent for you? We walked through the house today and are going to put an offer on it. Right now we're waiting for our realtor to get back to us with the comps and her offer suggestion. And we're waiting for the loan officer to get the loan info to us and the realtor so we can go over the numbers again.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Why do people take so long to get back to you when things feel urgent for you? We walked through the house today and are going to put an offer on it. Right now we're waiting for our realtor to get back to us with the comps and her offer suggestion. And we're waiting for the loan officer to get the loan info to us and the realtor so we can go over the numbers again.

Selling and buying houses are extremely frustrating processes. It is one thing I am glad to not have to do for a long while!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Selling and buying houses are extremely frustrating processes. It is one thing I am glad to not have to do for a long while!

Well the plan is for this next house to be the house for the long haul. It will be my first house purchase, dh bought the house we sold in June before we were married.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Hope this all works out!  It would be nice to get a house now before the busy spring house buying season starts up.  Doesn't make for any less hand wringing now, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Does your oldest do the cooking of that?  

He did most of it.  I got most of the supplies out, cut up the lobster and layered everything in the dish, because I was trying to make a smaller batch of lobster-less mac and cheese and wanted to make sure I had enough left.  DS5 helped with the salads.  DS9 was supposed to help with the biscuits, but ended up alternating between engrossed in a book and whining about his pre-dinner food options (fruit, chopped veggies, or salad... no you cannot have Christmas candy instead...).

• Like 2

Dh ordered his hoses- maybe a bit premature if the guy doesn't come but it will need to get done anyway. That was $190, plus he needs some anti-freeze maybe or transmission fluid, I don't remember. It's supposed to be $25-30. We'll take $200 out of the funds from selling and put the rest on the general maintenance category for monthly spending, leaving $600 to go towards the truck. Cross your fingers this happens and we have it done!!! We will be ecstatic, it is money but more importantly, it is time, that dh doesn't have right now being in school to deal w/ the upkeep of things, especially when it doesn't make sense financially to keep doing it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Good luck on the house, I hope it works out for you!

11 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

He did most of it.  I got most of the supplies out, cut up the lobster and layered everything in the dish, because I was trying to make a smaller batch of lobster-less mac and cheese and wanted to make sure I had enough left.  DS5 helped with the salads.  DS9 was supposed to help with the biscuits, but ended up alternating between engrossed in a book and whining about his pre-dinner food options (fruit, chopped veggies, or salad... no you cannot have Christmas candy instead...).

That is great! My kid's get into different recipes sometimes, although we've not ventured to lobster. I'm picking up cream tomorrow for dd1 b/c she has a crepe recipe she's dying to make!

• Like 2

A pretty good deal on cleaning & toiletries: $20 card when you buy $35 worth of P&G products.  https://slickdeals.net/f/12591634-20-mir-wys-35-on-p-g-products-12-23-18-4-7-19-in-single-transaction-non-national-chains

Our local grocery store on the list, Schnucks, has a $10 off next purchase when you buy $30 P&G through today, so it'll be $30 off $35 if I can get there today. I'm super booked today, but I may be able to get there tonight.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, soror said:

Dh got his quote back for the Cat Scan-$650 if we travel an hour- $5k at the local place!!

$43 at discount store- various gf  dry goods and snacks

Road trip!

That is insane and horrible.   I wish healthcare was fair and didn't try to take advantage of people. 

How did you go about getting the quotes? 

30 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Road trip!

That is insane and horrible.   I wish healthcare was fair and didn't try to take advantage of people. 

How did you go about getting the quotes? 

His heatlhy insurance partners with a company that price checks, even better we get money back when we go with the cheaper option- I think it is 20% of what we save!!! (so we always make sure they price quote the higher place !

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, soror said:

His heatlhy insurance partners with a company that price checks, even better we get money back when we go with the cheaper option- I think it is 20% of what we save!!! (so we always make sure they price quote the higher place !

That is so cool. I will have to see if ours does this.  It just changed to another company this year.

• Like 1

I took two boxes worth of outgrown sporting goods equipment to the resale shop and ended up with enough store credit to buy used skates for DS10 and myself.  That way we didn't have to pay for rentals for anyone (DS9 and DS5 played hockey and still have skates).  DH's baseball glove broke in the fall (DS10 pitched a hole through it), and I finally found him a used first baseman's mitt that should work better for warming up (increasingly harder pitching) 10- and 11-year-olds this spring.  I didn't spend anything for the skates, and the glove was replacing a broken, necessary item, so I'm still sticking to my self-imposed shopping rules.  And I'm glad I found a used glove for DH, because brand new adult baseball gloves are so, so expensive.  The used one was $40, and that was a steal (get it?  baseball?  steal?  I'll show myself out...).

Bonus, two less tubs of "stuff we don't need" in the house.  I actually have a big shelf downstairs full of empty storage bins, and it's ironically very cathartic to add to the collection.

4 hours ago, beckyjo said:

A pretty good deal on cleaning & toiletries: $20 card when you buy $35 worth of P&G products.  https://slickdeals.net/f/12591634-20-mir-wys-35-on-p-g-products-12-23-18-4-7-19-in-single-transaction-non-national-chains

Our local grocery store on the list, Schnucks, has a $10 off next purchase when you buy $30 P&G through today, so it'll be $30 off $35 if I can get there today. I'm super booked today, but I may be able to get there tonight.

Do you have the rewards app for Schnucks?  There's a bunch of P&G coupons under the "home" section.  Depending on what you get, you could get you close to completely "free after coupon/rebate".

• Like 3

Other than taxes, I have no spending plans from now until April.  (It helps that my kid's birthday was this past Sunday - though I bought all her stuff back in October through December anyway.) 

We started the year with a bang in Hawaii.  Have to say it was lovely.  I wouldn't call it "frugal," but we did a few things to reduce the cost.  For one thing, we were our own "tour guides" and didn't use the package "excursions" except for one activity.  We negotiated relatively reasonable lodging and did some cooking rather than always eat out when we weren't on the cruise.  (We had a few days in HI before & after our cruise.)

• Like 2

And the car is sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

And the $650 dh told me for the procedure cost included how much we would get back for using the cheapest option, the initial cost is $950, still much better than I anticipated. We should now have a good chunk to pay to mil for the truck, if we squeeze it tight we could have it paid off by February and not even touch our income tax.

Besides stocking up at the discount store I also stocked up on a few items at Aldi's and Kroger. My total for groceries for the week - $197. 

So, I'll have to watch our spending to keep in budget. I planned a fairly frugal menu this week EXCEPT for steak for dh and I on Friday. ALL of the kids will be gone so I was planning an at home date night and bought $11 of prime rib steak- and it just occurred to me that we got a gift card to a restaurant for Christmas and we could actually go out.....we never go out so I just didn't think about it. So, that might go in the freezer for another date night 🙂

Other than food I also bought 2 things of deodorant for me at the discount store, I was utterly out and had been using dh's the last week!

• Like 2

Saturday we had $.77 in our checking account to last until payday on Friday. Forced frugality! 😱 

Still no word from the insurance company that the car is totaled. Rental car coverage starts when they deem it totaled. (This is not a question of whether, it’s a formality). Meanwhile, dh has been driving his moms car as needed. 

Trying to figure out if the single income, mom at home dream is dead or foolish for us.....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

Saturday we had $.77 in our checking account to last until payday on Friday. Forced frugality! 😱 

Still no word from the insurance company that the car is totaled. Rental car coverage starts when they deem it totaled. (This is not a question of whether, it’s a formality). Meanwhile, dh has been driving his moms car as needed. 

Trying to figure out if the single income, mom at home dream is dead or foolish for us.....

I'm so sorry 😞

We were at that crossroads and I decided to work at home and that's been enough for us, at first I thought I should go find a full-time job but realized we were not at that point, so this has been a good compromise. Have you started to think what you might do? What skills do you have? Experience? Training? EDucation?? How much more do you need? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SamanthaCarter said:

😞  Sorry about the car (and the forced frugality!).  I know someone who was sitting at a stoplight partially under a highway overpass this year, and a deer jumped off the overpass and landed on the hood of the car.   It seemed like it took FOREVER for the insurance to deal with everything, and it wasn't even totaled, just not drivable until repaired.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SKL said:

Other than taxes, I have no spending plans from now until April.  (It helps that my kid's birthday was this past Sunday - though I bought all her stuff back in October through December anyway.) 

We started the year with a bang in Hawaii.  Have to say it was lovely.  I wouldn't call it "frugal," but we did a few things to reduce the cost.  For one thing, we were our own "tour guides" and didn't use the package "excursions" except for one activity.  We negotiated relatively reasonable lodging and did some cooking rather than always eat out when we weren't on the cruise.  (We had a few days in HI before & after our cruise.)

Yay for a good vacation.  Where did you go on the cruise? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soror said:

And the car is sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

And the $650 dh told me for the procedure cost included how much we would get back for using the cheapest option, the initial cost is $950, still much better than I anticipated. We should now have a good chunk to pay to mil for the truck, if we squeeze it tight we could have it paid off by February and not even touch our income tax.

Besides stocking up at the discount store I also stocked up on a few items at Aldi's and Kroger. My total for groceries for the week - $197. 

So, I'll have to watch our spending to keep in budget. I planned a fairly frugal menu this week EXCEPT for steak for dh and I on Friday. ALL of the kids will be gone so I was planning an at home date night and bought $11 of prime rib steak- and it just occurred to me that we got a gift card to a restaurant for Christmas and we could actually go out.....we never go out so I just didn't think about it. So, that might go in the freezer for another date night 🙂

Other than food I also bought 2 things of deodorant for me at the discount store, I was utterly out and had been using dh's the last week!

Yay on selling the car.  You guys are doing great selling stuff. 

Have fun on your cheap date night. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Sending some hugs.   I am so sorry about the car.  I am hoping you have a year of nothing going wrong.  Wouldn't that be nice? 

Aren't you still working right now?  Isn't it busy season? 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Dh went grocery shopping even with pullups, detergent, and toilet paper he spent $170

Brings our monthly total to $240 out of $800 and a lot of that is not food since I stocked up on shampoo and conditioner, meds for sick kids and what dh spent. 

My saving on turning down the heat is over.  It was like 40s or 50s for a bit and now it went down to a high of 20 today and Gale force winds.  So back up the heat goes.  I want some snow to go with the freezing temps. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Got the rest of DD's prescriptions moved to Costco. Just need to remember to update pharmacy with the doctor at her next neurologist appt. Wish I'd done this sooner. I was prompted by insurance copay increases, but we could have been saving money over even the old copays.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, soror said:

I'm so sorry 😞

We were at that crossroads and I decided to work at home and that's been enough for us, at first I thought I should go find a full-time job but realized we were not at that point, so this has been a good compromise. Have you started to think what you might do? What skills do you have? Experience? Training? EDucation?? How much more do you need? 

I'm sitting at a point where I could double our income(well, no, because our income taxes would go up), no extra education needed. Thats what makes this so hard. On one hand I feel like this life we've chosen for ourselves is stupid. But on the other hand, I'm not sure I'm at the place where I'm willing to entrust my kiddos education to just any institution around here. 

I don't have the time management skills to work from home. Shoot, I don't even have the time management skills to homeschool three intense kiddos by myself. 

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

We put an offer in on the house we saw on Sunday.  Waiting to hear back is driving me crazy

I'm so anxious to hear back! It sounds like just what you've been waiting for. 

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some hugs.   I am so sorry about the car.  I am hoping you have a year of nothing going wrong.  Wouldn't that be nice? 

Aren't you still working right now?  Isn't it busy season? 

Wouldn't it? Hahahahaha!

Last year I worked busy season because DH had lost his job and was at home. Later, he got a job, while I was committed work through April 15. At that point MIL stepped in to help until I was done. I don't have that kind of support this year, last year was kind of a one-time thing (hopefully!). I did work Mondays through the summer, but after tax income tax and fica, paying a babysitter and occasional lunch out, I was netting about $5 hour. Fine for summer, but not a feasible trade-off during the school year. 

There is a private school near here who's education philosophy lines up pretty well with my own, and seems to give decent income based tuition. I'd never really considered a secular school before, but if the social environment seems healthy, I might apply. If they could give me half of the top tuition range, I could make enough to pay and have $ left over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I'm sitting at a point where I could double our income(well, no, because our income taxes would go up), no extra education needed. Thats what makes this so hard. On one hand I feel like this life we've chosen for ourselves is stupid. But on the other hand, I'm not sure I'm at the place where I'm willing to entrust my kiddos education to just any institution around here. 

I don't have the time management skills to work from home. Shoot, I don't even have the time management skills to homeschool three intense kiddos by myself. 

I'm so anxious to hear back! It sounds like just what you've been waiting for. 

Wouldn't it? Hahahahaha!

Last year I worked busy season because DH had lost his job and was at home. Later, he got a job, while I was committed work through April 15. At that point MIL stepped in to help until I was done. I don't have that kind of support this year, last year was kind of a one-time thing (hopefully!). I did work Mondays through the summer, but after tax income tax and fica, paying a babysitter and occasional lunch out, I was netting about $5 hour. Fine for summer, but not a feasible trade-off during the school year. 

There is a private school near here who's education philosophy lines up pretty well with my own, and seems to give decent income based tuition. I'd never really considered a secular school before, but if the social environment seems healthy, I might apply. If they could give me half of the top tuition range, I could make enough to pay and have $ left over. 

I know I am dreaming of a year where there are no accidents, things breaking or needing to be fixed, or medical or dental for all of us and the dog.  Probably never going to happen. 

OH I thought you were still working.    Good luck in trying to figure things out.   It is such a hard choice.  

• Like 1

I'm sitting at a point where I could double our income(well, no, because our income taxes would go up), no extra education needed. That's what makes this so hard. On one hand, I feel like this life we've chosen for ourselves is stupid. But on the other hand, I'm not sure I'm at the place where I'm willing to entrust my kiddos education to just any institution around here. 

Last year I worked busy season because DH had lost his job and was at home. Later, he got a job, while I was committed to working through April 15. At that point, MIL stepped in to help until I was done. I don't have that kind of support this year, last year was kind of a one-time thing (hopefully!). I did work Mondays through the summer, but after tax income tax and fica, paying a babysitter and occasional lunch out, I was netting about $5 hour. Fine for summer, but not a feasible trade-off during the school year. 

There is a private school near here who's education philosophy lines up pretty well with my own and seems to give decent income-based tuition. I'd never really considered a secular school before, but if the social environment seems healthy, I might apply. If they could give me half of the top tuition range, I could make enough to pay and have $ left over. 

I know it is not an easy choice, no matter what you choose. Putting mine in was about the hardest thing I ever did, I felt my heart was breaking into a million pieces but I didn't feel I had a choice. I well understand questioning your life choices because you come to a point where the cons of what you've chosen are staring you in the face w/ an unrelenting glare. Our choice has not been stupid, we didn't do it without thought or reason, our work is important work. Can you maybe compromise w/ part-time work? Some kids in school, some at home are there some you'd rather stay home due to age, personality or needs? 

I'm aiming to keep my income just under the next tax bracket and it has been an adjustment even working from home, the house looked like feral pigs lived here for awhile but we have seemed to have made it out the other side. 

Prayers for your discernment and peace! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soror said:

Congratulations, I hope it goes smoothly!

Haha, smoothly my butt!  Not 2 minutes after I posted this, which was 10 minutes after they counter offered did my realtor call me back saying they had another offer and now they're giving both parties until 5pm tomorrow to make their best and final offer.  I hate these tactics.  I'm standing by my final offer being what they countered.  I guess I'll know tomorrow.  

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Haha, smoothly my butt!  Not 2 minutes after I posted this, which was 10 minutes after they counter offered did my realtor call me back saying they had another offer and now they're giving both parties until 5pm tomorrow to make their best and final offer.  I hate these tactics.  I'm standing by my final offer being what they countered.  I guess I'll know tomorrow.  

Any updates tonight?  Sorry if you posted on a different thread and I missed it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Any updates tonight?  Sorry if you posted on a different thread and I missed it.

We kept our final offer at what they originally offered us, then heard at 4 pm today that they accepted out offer.  New contract was drafted, all on the buyer's side have signed, and as of 8 it is in the seller's agents hands.  Hopefully they will sign it tonight so we can celebrate appropriately and so I can sleep easy

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 5

Grocery shopping was... interesting last night.  Apparently Thursday is the worst for finding quality produce (I guess they don’t put more out until Friday morning?), made even worse by everyone preparing for the impending snowstorm.  And Aldi is doing a partial remodel, which shrunk the “freezer/pasta” aisle to barely one cart width.  I think I’m going to have to switch to Friday night shopping.

I did score some good markdowns: corn tortillas for 50¢, organic frozen kale for 99¢, two big bags of holiday tortilla chips for $1.00 each, shredded cabbage for 99¢.  I also found some pumpkin spice latte ice cream pints for 99¢, but passed on that because I don’t need it at all.  I hope it makes some frugal shopper happy someday...

Grocery total for January is now $201, and that will cover us until the next trip on the 18th.  $400 is still a realistic goal this month!  And we’re about to have a few weather-induced zero-spending days, just sledding and shoveling and board games and cocoa.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

We kept our final offer at what they originally offered us, then heard at 4 pm today that they accepted out offer.  New contract was drafted, all on the buyer's side have signed, and as of 8 it is in the seller's agents hands.  Hopefully they will sign it tonight so we can celebrate appropriately and so I can sleep easy

Congratulations!!!

1 hour ago, BarbecueMom said:

Grocery shopping was... interesting last night.  Apparently Thursday is the worst for finding quality produce (I guess they don’t put more out until Friday morning?), made even worse by everyone preparing for the impending snowstorm.  And Aldi is doing a partial remodel, which shrunk the “freezer/pasta” aisle to barely one cart width.  I think I’m going to have to switch to Friday night shopping.

I did score some good markdowns: corn tortillas for 50¢, organic frozen kale for 99¢, two big bags of holiday tortilla chips for $1.00 each, shredded cabbage for 99¢.  I also found some pumpkin spice latte ice cream pints for 99¢, but passed on that because I don’t need it at all.  I hope it makes some frugal shopper happy someday...

Grocery total for January is now $201, and that will cover us until the next trip on the 18th.  $400 is still a realistic goal this month!  And we’re about to have a few weather-induced zero-spending days, just sledding and shoveling and board games and cocoa.

Good finds and WTG on the budget! I looked Tuesday at Aldi's but didn't see any super deals myself, you never know what you will find. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

We are officially under contract!!!  Dh bought some whiskey to celebrate, but after that we are strictly no spend

Congrats!!!

Thursday- $20 on bread and yogurt- GF bread is so expensive (1 big loaf is $8!)

$15- for next week's hs activity; $11new truck title (then we are done with that)

Found a $6 reimbursement check from AHG

$20 for ds to go camping this weekend

$10 on 2 gifts for a bday sleepover

today paying for TKD for the month (160 for all 4; 2x a week)

gas for dh yesterday and I need gas today

We got take-out w/ our gift card last night, we decided we didn't feel like going out, it's been a long week!

No, misc spending or unbudgeted spending so far. I have a misc budget for things that might come up but the less we use the better of course, that is money towards the truck this month. Dh worked 13 hrs Thurs and works today, so that is 13 hrs of OT at 1.5 pay, here's hoping this month continues on as it has, I'd love to have a good start to the year.

Off to teach..

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Definitely a no-spend weekend.  10 inches of snow yesterday and last night, and it’s still snowing.  We’re making up for last year, when we didn’t have ANY snow at all.

At least I didn’t waste money buying a (probably too expensive) three-kid sled at Costco last month.  After I bought it, I worried it would be money wasted if we didn’t end up with snow again.  I think it’ll get some use this weekend!

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 8:46 AM, BarbecueMom said:

I think we are on track for 400 this month too! I’m particularly proud of this mornings reciept that was enough additional food to get us to the 20th. Look at total bill v. Total savings

2B2F4EB5-1D5C-4536-B8D0-2E7B1C63CB6E.jpeg

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 7

I think we are on track for 400 this month too! I’m particularly proud of this mornings reciept that was enough additional food to get us to the 20th. Look at total bill v. Total savings

2B2F4EB5-1D5C-4536-B8D0-2E7B1C63CB6E.jpeg

AWesome!!! So jealous you have a Kroger, they seem to have really good deals.