Menu

PSAT as homeschool assessment?

Does anyone know if the PSAT qualifies as a standardized test for assessment purposes in Ohio? Have been googling and searching this site, but can’t find the answer anywhere. If not, is there a test recommendation for high schoolers, or should we just continue on with what we’ve been doing (the TerraNova)? This is my first year with a high schooler, so I’m a little unsure. Thanks so much!

Hi! Ohio Homeschooling Parents has some great info on their site for those considering using standardized testing. Here is a link to their answers page that has a link to the nationally normed tests. The answer is under question #14. PSAT is on the list.

https://ohiohomeschoolingparents.com/faq-answers#3350b5e3-f296-44c3-bda9-8d8cec4979b2

This is not related to your question, but as a follow on: Not sure how easy it is to find a place to have the PSAT administered to your student. I thought, mistakenly, all public schools give this all the time. In fact PSAT 9, 10 are not at all given at ours, PSAT 11 given in 11th grade. The local private does not as a routine administer the PSAT 11 to anyone that’s not an 11th grader, but they will give to DS if we ask.

DS's friend in private school elsewhere takes the PSAT every year.

Edited by madteaparty

Thank you, madteaparty, that’s good to know. I also discovered that the PSAT is only offered in October (though the PSAT 10 has some spring dates). I’m planning on calling around asap to different schools until I find one that offers PSAT 10. 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:56 PM, Srtepe said:

Does anyone know if the PSAT qualifies as a standardized test for assessment purposes in Ohio? Have been googling and searching this site, but can’t find the answer anywhere. If not, is there a test recommendation for high schoolers, or should we just continue on with what we’ve been doing (the TerraNova)? This is my first year with a high schooler, so I’m a little unsure. Thanks so much!

Yes, I used the PSAT for my kids starting in middle school.  The public school officials initially told me my kids needed to be in 11th grade to sit for the exam, but when I explained to them that I was using the PSAT as the nationally normed test to satisfy the state of Ohio homeschooling requirements, they let my kids sit for the exam.

16 hours ago, Srtepe said:

Thank you, madteaparty, that’s good to know. I also discovered that the PSAT is only offered in October (though the PSAT 10 has some spring dates). I’m planning on calling around asap to different schools until I find one that offers PSAT 10. 

I'm having trouble getting the FAQ page to load, so I can't get the list of accepted tests to open.

If you are looking for a test to use to meet the requirements for homeschooling, it might be easier to use a test like the CAT or ITBS or Stanford Achievement Test than to find a school offering one of the lower level PSAT tests (it isn't as widely given in the PSAT 10 and lower versions) and that will let a homeschool student test.