Menu

Coffee Maker Recommendations

scbusf

I like normal, automatic-drip brewed coffee. I drink 2 cups in the morning and sometimes 2 more in the afternoon. I currently have a 10-cup coffee maker with the carafe that's supposed to keep the coffee hot. It doesn't keep it hot at all. I used to have a regular 10-cup coffee maker and the second cup always drove me crazy because it tasted burned because it just sits there.

So what are my options that won't cost more than around $40? I do have a basic plastic pour-over thingy. 

Edited by scbusf
spelling

17 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

None of the ones I had kept the coffee warm. I got that plastic pour-over thingy you mentioned and now I just pour a fresh cup when I want one. It's delicious and hot - the way I like it. 

How hot do you get your water before pouring it over the coffee? Boiling?

I make coffee for everybody else while making tea for me. First I pour over my tea, then I measure out the water for the French press. Google assures me that boiling is too hot for coffee, so I let it get to just under boiling before I combine the water and the grounds.

(And I like the French press because I can make three or four cups at once and decant the extra to a separate carafe. Then I only have to brew coffee a couple of times a day instead of ALL. THE. TIME. And unlike the ceramic drip thingy I never worry about any overflow.)

Edited by Tanaqui

1 hour ago, Tanaqui said:

I make coffee for everybody else while making tea for me. First I pour over my tea, then I measure out the water for the French press. Google assures me that boiling is too hot for coffee, so I let it get to just under boiling before I combine the water and the grounds.

(And I like the French press because I can make three or four cups at once and decant the extra to a separate carafe. Then I only have to brew coffee a couple of times a day instead of ALL. THE. TIME. And unlike the ceramic drip thingy I never worry about any overflow.)

Different beans evidently require different treatment. Light / medium / dark / Green/ Org / Kona etc. I don't usually get that scientific about coffee but maybe some other coffee experts will chime in.

• Like 1

I do pour over coffee as well--maybe you could also get a larger cone?  We have a 4 cup coffee pot and drip our larger cone right into it.  You might be able to use your old carafe to receive the drips.  I heat up cool 'second cup' coffee in the microwave and it doesn't taste burned unless it boils.  1 minute in a mug gets it hot but not boiling. so that works really well.  It's not going to spoil sitting out at room temperature for just one day.  (i have proven this experimentally many, many times.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bootsie said:

Are you wanting the coffee to stay hot until the second cup or until you may drink it in the afternoon?

Just until I drink the second cup. That could be an hour or two later. I don’t mind making a second pot in the afternoon.