Menu

What's with the ads?

peacelovehomeschooling

Goodreads 2019 reading challenge

For the life of me I can't find the sign up anywhere on Goodreads.   I always set a goal and keep up with my books, usually it is up by now, but I can't find anywhere to sign up.  I don't even see it mentioned.  Surely I am missing it.  If any of you have signed up or seen where to sign up, please let me know.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I found it.

When you go to the Home page it is on the left side probably right under the list of books you're currently reading. 

Huh. When I go there, I see my completed 2018 challenge, but no place to sign up for 2019.  I wondered if they don't put it up till 1/1.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marbel said:

Huh. When I go there, I see my completed 2018 challenge, but no place to sign up for 2019.  I wondered if they don't put it up till 1/1.  

interesting.  I didn't do a 2018 Challenge maybe that's why.  But the "2019 Challenge" is on the left side of my Homepage between "Currently Reading" and "Want to Read".  It's not very big or splashy so I would have easily missed it if I wasn't looking for it.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I found it.

When you go to the Home page it is on the left side probably right under the list of books you're currently reading. 

9 minutes ago, marbel said:

It isn't there for me either.

I also looked where you said to look between read and wanting to read and the only challenge is the 2018 one.

In the past it has always been up before the new year.  This is driving me nuts!

It's driving me crazy; I keep going back to Goodreads to see if it's there now.  All I'm going to do is plug in the same number as last year so I don't know why I'm so anxious. NYE is always a day I think a lot about books, though, and how I'm going to read better/more/differently next year.... LOL. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marbel said:

It's driving me crazy; I keep going back to Goodreads to see if it's there now.  All I'm going to do is plug in the same number as last year so I don't know why I'm so anxious. NYE is always a day I think a lot about books, though, and how I'm going to read better/more/differently next year.... LOL. 

😆 I'm going to up my number from last year. I've been spending the past few days downloading free ebooks in preparation for next year. I have about 50 ready to go. :tongue: 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, marbel said:

I really get this!  It is exactly how I feel!  I keep going back to look as well.   Truly, like you, I feel anxious over this too.   It does make me feel better that someone else feels the same way and understands and that others can't find it either.  I was beginning to think I was losing my mind.

• Like 1

Just now, ashfern said:

😆 I'm going to up my number from last year. I've been spending the past few days downloading free ebooks in preparation for next year. I have about 50 ready to go. :tongue: 

I always put 40 as my official goal, but aim for 52.   The reason put a lower official goal is because I homeschool my daughter and don't have as much devoted reading time as I would ideally like.   However, I have been able to reach 52 fairly easily each year I have been homeschooling.   But I still won't up the official number because I just never know how challenging/time consuming the next school year will be.

I've been looking for it and can't see it on my page either. I realized that reading is something I've always loved to do and I stopped making time to read, so I set a low goal for 2018 and far exceeded it. That may be the first time I've done one of my New Year's resolutions for the whole year! I wish they'd put the 2019 challenge up soon. I'm sad though because my library is closed today and tomorrow and I need more books.

• Like 1

It's not there for me either and I did the challenge this year. It could have something to do with how some of us have customized our pages. 

• Like 1

My 2018 goal was adjusted to...8.  8.  And I missed it by one.  

I have grieved too many loved ones in my 50 years but losing my second sister this spring broke me and reading at length became impossible.

I've only read two books since her death.  I might make my goal 6 this year.  I never thought a reading goal could feel so big.  But it gives me something to work on and be determined about.  I feel ready to start trying harder which is a big step for me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

4 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I have grieved too many loved ones in my 50 years but losing my second sister this spring broke me and reading at length became impossible.

I've only read two books since her death.  I might make my goal 6 this year.  I never thought a reading goal could feel so big.  But it gives me something to work on and be determined about.  I feel ready to start trying harder which is a big step for me.

hugs...  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, happi duck said:

You are in my thoughts. I am so sorry for your losses.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I am so very sorry.  I can't even imagine the grief you must be experiencing.  Big hugs to you.

• Like 2

On a lighter note, sorry about that btw, I really appreciate Goodreads though I don't use all the features.  I like having an ongoing list of books I run across and what I've read.

Does the social feature let you see what other people are reading?

• Like 3

IT'S UP!

At least, on my page.  7:30pm eastern standard time!  Ahhh... I put in a goal of 50 but hmmm we'll see...

((happi duck))  Yes, you can see what others are reading which for me is part of the fun of it.  But it's all book-related so no social media drama!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, happi duck said:

Gosh I am so very sorry for your losses and pain.   I am very proud of you for setting a goal.  You are right, it will give you something to work on and focus on.  Many many hugs to you.  I do hope 2019 is far kinder to you and brings you some happiness and joy.

• Like 2

YES!!!!  I am SO happy the challenge is up!!!  I have set my goal of 40.   WOOHOOO!!!  Now it is a Happy New Year!!!

For anyone looking....I found it on the Goodreads homepage, on the left, part way down.  

It is nice to see other Goodreads challenge lovers here.  Happy reading to everyone!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

YES!!!!  I am SO happy the challenge is up!!!  I have set my goal of 40.   WOOHOOO!!!  Now it is a Happy New Year!!!

For anyone looking....I found it on the Goodreads homepage, on the left, part way down.  

It is nice to see other Goodreads challenge lovers here.  Happy reading to everyone!

Whoops!  Thank you for adding this.  In my excitement I forgot to mention that.  It took the place of the 2018 challenge.

I'm curious if people in Pacific time zone will see it later or it comes up at the same time for everyone.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marbel said:

Whoops!  Thank you for adding this.  In my excitement I forgot to mention that.  It took the place of the 2018 challenge.

I'm curious if people in Pacific time zone will see it later or it comes up at the same time for everyone.  

I'm Pacific and it's been up for me for a while now.

• Like 2

I think a lot of mine will be audiobooks this year. I have been listening to podcasts while commuting but I'm thinking of switching to audiobooks for at least some of the drives.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, hornblower said:

I think a lot of mine will be audiobooks this year. I have been listening to podcasts while commuting but I'm thinking of switching to audiobooks for at least some of the drives.

I struggle to pay attention to audiobooks but I'm thinking of trying listening while I read along.  

• Like 2

Hugs, happi duck. Hoping reading can provide some respite from the pain, a peaceful place to be.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I struggle to pay attention to audiobooks but I'm thinking of trying listening while I read along.  

You know, I have this problem a bit as well but it's been getting better since listening to podcasts & esp radio plays.  And it helps that you can always just hit rewind and go back 🙂 Good narrators make a lot of difference too.  I feel bad admitting this here but  for ex Jim Weiss reading SOTW? It's like bedtime lullaby stuff for me.  I used to put it on while driving the kids places so we could count some of the commute a carschooling & holy cow, I just tuned him right out. No clue what he was saying. Kids would ask me stuff about it after and I'd be all "um, what? I'm not sure...." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, hornblower said:

I used to put it on while driving the kids places so we could count some of the commute a carschooling & holy cow, I just tuned him right out. No clue what he was saying. Kids would ask me stuff about it after and I'd be all "um, what? I'm not sure...."

I'm a terrible audiobook listener, lol. I tune them all out w/out even trying. I guess "in one ear, out the other" would apply to me in this case.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, hornblower said:

This past year a lot of mine were audiobooks.  It's been that way for a couple of years, but this had a much higher audio/non-audio ratio.  I like to listen while I'm getting ready for bed.  I'll usually play a stupid card game on my phone while I listen.  I almost never read to get to sleep anymore.  I'm kind of sad about that.. I dunno why though.  I do feel like I retain more that I actually read...but I find I get bored and lose interest in non-audio books faster too. 

I have a friend who can read a book a day.  I think she has learned the art of skimming.  I'm thinking I'd like to do that... that way I won't get so bogged down.  My reading is so slow.   

• Like 1

I am happy to be Goodreads friends from any WTM members. Here is my profile.

If your GR name and/or avatar do not match your WTM name, please let me know who you are with a GR message. It can be hard to match people up with GR and WTM. My avatars match.

@hornblower I sent you a GR friend request.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hornblower said:

I listen to audiobooks of books I've already read.  For some reason, I can concentrate better on the stories than I can on something new.  I also have to be doing something like driving, gardening, or drawing to keep my hands busy. Otherwise I tune it out.  

• Like 2

For Christmas my husband got me one of those cables so I can connect my phone and listen to audio books in the car. Hopefully we can find some books that everyone agrees on. I usually do audio books in bed at night. If I try to listen during the day, I am invariably interrupted every 2 minutes. I'm better at ignoring people when I read. 

Here's my goodreads profile. Fair warning, I'm in a brain-candy rut at the moment. I love seeing everyone's recommendations though!

• Like 2

I started goodreads in September or something and haven't done much with it. I'm much more motivated with friends! Sending you all requests now! 😃👐

• Like 3

For anyone interested, several of us are doing a religious/theological reads book club here. Our first book will be The Benedict Option starting week of Jan 6 (to give time to get book and get started).  If you’re interested we’d love to have you! Here’s the link. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

I have a friend who can read a book a day.  I think she has learned the art of skimming.  I'm thinking I'd like to do that... that way I won't get so bogged down.  My reading is so slow.   

I read a book a day. The key is to get Young Adult books and romance. :biggrin: The more meaty books take me longer to read. I'm still trying to get through The Indifferent Stars Above and the book about Shackleton's voyage took me awhile as well. Also, the more you read the faster you get.

If I've done this right, here is my profile on Goodreads.

• Like 4

I'll be happy to add people as Goodreads friends. Here's my profile, and if you get friended by someone with a quilt block for a profile picture, that's me. :)

I was also feeling kind of lost before I was able to set my 2019 goal yesterday! So glad the new challenge finally showed up!

• Like 3

On 1/1/2019 at 7:31 AM, ashfern said:

I read a book a day. The key is to get Young Adult books and romance. :biggrin: The more meaty books take me longer to read. I'm still trying to get through The Indifferent Stars Above and the book about Shackleton's voyage took me awhile as well. Also, the more you read the faster you get.

If I've done this right, here is my profile on Goodreads.

LOL - now see... that's my problem.  I've made this decision to read more quickly with a very meaty (and long) book.  LOL

• Haha 1

I've gotten several friend requests from people here. YAY!!

I'm wondering if we should start a WTM group there just so we can keep list of screen names here with names on Goodreads?   What do people think? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I'm wondering if we should start a WTM group there just so we can keep list of screen names here with names on Goodreads?   What do people think? 

I'd be up for that.

2 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Yes! Do it!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

There is a group there called Well Trained Mind Readers, and I see some familiar faces there, but it doesn't have any recent activity.  I wonder if the owner of the group is here?

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/60596-well-trained-mind-readers

My Goodreads link is in my signature. It doesn't match my WTM name but is my actual name. I'm not sure how my username shows up. When I comment on groups it just says Kathy, but in my account settings it says my username is KathleenMayC. Oh well, the link should take you to me anyway.

ETA: The link doesn't work anymore. I'm working on fixing it.

ETA #2: Apparently the link Goodreads gives you expires after 30 days and that must have been the one I used once upon a time. Here's my profile. I'll have to fix the link in my signature later.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7131863-kathy-chumley

One more time 🙂 - I changed my GR photo to match the one I have here. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

4 minutes ago, marbel said:

There is a group there called Well Trained Mind Readers, and I see some familiar faces there, but it doesn't have any recent activity.  I wonder if the owner of the group is here?

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/60596-well-trained-mind-readers

That's so funny.  I was going to use the same name.  The existing group is public which may be a problem for sharing screennames from here.  I'm not friends with any of the moderators over there and I'm not sure who they are. 

I'll wait to set up a new group until we've heard from someone.  Rather not start a new group when we may be able to work with an existing one. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I am very active on GR in that I update my reading and add new books to my TR list almost daily.  But I'm not on any groups there.  All my talking about reading is done here at WTM on the BaW thread (and no need to actually read a book a week :wink:).  Almost every single one of my GR friends are WTM folk - this is where I first heard about it.  I guess I'm not seeing what the point of such a group would be?  To talk or just to keep a list match-up?  My name there is different but I have the same avatar.  I usually post my info once a year on the BaW thread for anyone who's new.  I'm not sure I'd want a permanent link hanging out in the internet ether, though...?

Edited by Matryoshka

Just now, Matryoshka said:

I am very active on GR in that I update my reading and add new books to my TR list almost daily.  But I'm not on any groups there.  All my talking about reading is done here at WTM on the BaW thread (and no need to actually read a book a week :wink:).  Almost every single one of my GR friends are WTM folk - this is where I first heard about it.  I guess I'm not seeing what the point of such a group would be?  To talk or just to keep a list match-up?

I was thinking of a private place to keep a list of who's who - that's it.  No need to talk over there - when it's much, much easier to talk books here.  IMHO.  If there's a private place here to make a list- that's fine too.  I just have a hard time keeping everyone straight.  I have friends from other places on GR.