Menu

Help, need Tee Shirts for tall girl

My dd is going on 5'8" and while she is not skinny, she is also not wide or overweight.  Many shirts in a size large fit ok, but they just aren't long enough, or sometimes they're too wide AND not long enough.  She also horseback rides every day so she needs a shirt with decent coverage but not TOO long because you don't want to sit on your shirt and she doesn't want to tuck it in.  

Please help! 🙂 I know I can count on the Hive!

We are looking for regular cotton tee shirts, nothing fancy....

btdt - (2dd is 5'11")

jcp has a tall catalog, and online. not available in stores. much more affordable than specialty womwen's tall stores like "tall girl".

I also pretty much skipped the jr dept (generally shorter) and went straight to misses/and then right on to talls  (some items I'd pick up from the men's dept to get the length.)

also - better brands generally are more generous with fabric than cheap ones.  -and even among the same manufacturer - those made for discount stores were skimpier with fabric than ones for more regular price stores.  (we learned that with coats for 2dd. same manufacturer, and otherwise the same coat - but not the same amount of fabric)

My dd gets a lot of her tall stuff (she's 5'9", something like that) from JCP. She has a lot of luck there, so highly recommend. I think she finds Old Navy works for her. It's one of those teen-ish stores, because they cut for 5'10", meaning their pjs, tees, etc. work.

But yeah, just jump to tall. Even if her overall height isn't quite where you'd think for tall, she might be long in the torso. Like my dad and my FIL both took tall men's shirts with a more typical inseam for their pants. So if she needs talls for tops or whatever, get 'em.

• Like 1

My daughter is 5'10" and wears a women medium in most shirts and coats, although sometimes they shrink and we have issues.  If it weren't for the height she would definitely be a small though.  We have to go up in size to get the length and sometimes certain styles just won't work.

She wears a lot of men's t-shirts in medium as well, like the concert tees they have in the men's department at Kohls.  We looked everywhere for a leather jacket for Christmas before settling on a men's x-small to get the arm length right. So maybe consider a men's small or medium as well.  T shirts are a fairly unisex item of clothing.

I have the same torso length as my 5’11” DS14 and my 5’10” husband. Abercrombie outlet men XS long sleeve top is long enough for me. I bought at Great Mall as they are having 50% off for many of their long sleeve T-shirt’s. The boys long sleeve top was a little shorter on the sleeves.

Dd has a long torso. I agree with everyone above 🙂

for graphic print tees she gets men’s tees at target. They are still slim fitting in her size, medium, but very long.

Or tunics, but they seem to be out of style for teens since moms started wearing them, lol

our old navy does not have talls in the store but they are online. She was able to find a sundress! She could actually wear since it was long enough  last summer from them

Edited by Hilltopmom

Gap do tall tees that are nice and long. I'm just shy of 5ft 8 with a proportionally long body and they're a good fit on me.  I get my t shirts and all other tops from tall ranges and they usually work without being so ridiculously long they've become tunics.

Edited by lailasmum

I'm average, but I like longer shirts... another tip is to get camis for underneath the shorter shirts. Obviously not the best solution for the dead of summer, but if she doesn't mind an extra layer, it widens the options. Most basic camis are nice and long and fitted.