Menu

Opinions/Experiences with Singulair: Update last post

sangtarah

Both dd9 and I were given a prescription for Singulair for allergies/asthma. My issues aren’t bothering me (they were found while looking for food allergies), so I’m reluctant to take meds for something that I never noticed as a problem. I tend toward depression, so I’m concerned about that. Also, I’m still breastfeeding. 

DD9 has more significant allergy/asthma issues. She also has anxiety (not treated by anyone yet) and is generally more emotional. She has regular headaches and stomaches (her tummy hurts almost every day - we don’t have a cause yet). The side effects of Singulair seem like they would exacerbate her issues. Am I crazy to think that?

Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!

Update: 

last night dd9 had her first dose. Today she has had a terrible headache all day and told me she feels bad - like she is bad and doesn’t want to live. 😳😱 

So, attribute it to meds or not?? 😰

Edited by sangtarah
Update

I took it and had no side effects except that I could amazingly sleep in a tent with down sleeping bags(tent mate, not mine) and not die or have to be rushed to the hospital but I've heard side effects hit kids more than adults so I would be more cautious with a child.

I certainly wouldn't bother with it if I didn't notice anything such as your case but with your daughter's more severe case I'm not sure. It depends on what else has been tried to keep things under control.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

My daughter, the 20 year old, was prescribed it by a doctor at her school.  She was having problems with asthma at altitude in super cold.  She says it is helping.  But even with it and the inhaled meds, she is still having issues.  I expect she will get the meds tweaked when she is back in Flagstaff.  She isn’t having symptoms here at home.  We are at about sea level and it is much much warmer here.

She isn’t having any bad reactions to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My youngest was on it for a few years when he was younger. He had rages while taking it, really bad ones. We didn't connect the two until he was off it for a few weeks when we ran out and couldn't get his refill. Off of it he does much better. He has OCD and anxiety.

His doctor tried putting him back on it for an allergy rush therapy but the rages came back. I have it on his list of medications he should never ever take again.

• Sad 2

Two of my dd's took it for a few years when younger, and I didn't notice any negative side effects at all.  They took it for asthma.

Neither of them is prone to anxiety, although they did have migraines (prior to taking it).  The migraines weren't affected either way with the singular.

• Like 1

DD17 has taken it for three years.  No side effects and it has worked great.  She is weaning off now as she has reached maintenance level on her allergy shots.

i tried Singulair for my allergies but it caused headaches.  I get by with OTC Claritin these days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Just going to throw out there that kids with chronic tummy issues and headaches and anxiety should have a blood test for celiac antibodies. Those are all possible symptoms. 

Thanks for the reminder. She’s actually been tested a few times through the years, most recently in Nov. It was a blood test each time. Her pediatrician recommended an elimination diet to see if we could isolate a trouble item.

I haven't taken it, but there are tons of meds for asthma and allergies. You shouldn't feel railroaded into a particular one if there are others that are just as reasonable to try.

Some antihistamines have a side benefit of helping with anxiety and some are even given for anxiety. You might google and then ask the doctor to consider something else.

• Like 1

I had terrible nightmares on Singulair.  So much so that I said I would only ever take it again unless I were desperate.  Well, this past summer my asthma flared and I was desperate, so I took it, but this time in the mornings.  I didn't have any problems.  I quit it as soon as my asthma got back under control.  

• Like 1

I take it, along with Zyrtec, and it doesn't seem to worsen my anxiety or cause other issues. 

But kbutton is correct, there are tons of allergy meds. I'm actually a little surprised your doc went straight to a prescription if neither of you have taken OTC (or am I misreading that?).

You can try the Singulair and monitor, or try something else that you think is less likely to have those effects. Both my dd and I have anxiety. When she needed more relief, we asked about Singulair and he suggested upping her dose of Zyrtec first. He didn't give a reason why and the extra Zyrtec did the trick so we never pursued it. My doctor didn't seem to think twice about px the Singulair to me and it did work out fine.  

I also second Terabith that you sometimes don't realize how your allergies are affecting you. I had allergies all my life and only took OTC medication sporadically until well into adulthood, when symptoms were bad. Then a doctor took the time to explain how allergies and allergy medication worked and I began taking it every day. Gamechanger! What I thought was feeling good was actually just feeling less bad than usual, lol. My energy definitely increased. I don't feel slightly sick every morning and wake up easier, with less of a morning fog. 

Same for my dh. He insisted he wasn't bothered by allergies or reflux, but I threatened to jump out of the window if he cleared his throat one. more. time. Being the impatient sort, he started on both Zantac and Zyrtec and it solved the problem and also improved other allergy symptoms he didn't think he had 😄

I wish I could tell you if it was all allergies or not, but he's content to take the two meds forever and not figure it out. Oh, well. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, katilac said:

I take it, along with Zyrtec, and it doesn't seem to worsen my anxiety or cause other issues. 

But kbutton is correct, there are tons of allergy meds. I'm actually a little surprised your doc went straight to a prescription if neither of you have taken OTC (or am I misreading that?).

You can try the Singulair and monitor, or try something else that you think is less likely to have those effects. Both my dd and I have anxiety. When she needed more relief, we asked about Singulair and he suggested upping her dose of Zyrtec first. He didn't give a reason why and the extra Zyrtec did the trick so we never pursued it. My doctor didn't seem to think twice about px the Singulair to me and it did work out fine.  

I also second Terabith that you sometimes don't realize how your allergies are affecting you. I had allergies all my life and only took OTC medication sporadically until well into adulthood, when symptoms were bad. Then a doctor took the time to explain how allergies and allergy medication worked and I began taking it every day. Gamechanger! What I thought was feeling good was actually just feeling less bad than usual, lol. My energy definitely increased. I don't feel slightly sick every morning and wake up easier, with less of a morning fog. 

Same for my dh. He insisted he wasn't bothered by allergies or reflux, but I threatened to jump out of the window if he cleared his throat one. more. time. Being the impatient sort, he started on both Zantac and Zyrtec and it solved the problem and also improved other allergy symptoms he didn't think he had 😄

I wish I could tell you if it was all allergies or not, but he's content to take the two meds forever and not figure it out. Oh, well. 

Glad your dh is better! 

Dd is already taking Claritin. But it’s not her allergies they prescribed it for, it was for asthma. I told the dr my goal was to reduce/eliminate her medications (Claritin/flovent) with environmental changes, if possible. He was very discouraging and said the best we can hope for is add the Singulair and maybe reduce the Flovent dosage. Her allergies to cat/dog actually aren’t very high - he seemed surprised by the results of the skin test. We are still willing to change her environment, but it seems less likely to help, given her results and his advice. ☹️

For myself, regular antihistamines would dry up my milk supply, so I’ve never taken them regularly. I’m sure taking something would make a difference, I’m just not good at taking medicines. My allergies are cat/dog as well, so I’ve just chosen to live with it. The asthma was a surprise finding though, for me. Apparently I’m at 75% and that probably explains a lot! 😂

• 2 weeks later...

So, to give you super-slueths another puzzle: dd9 saw the asthma/allergy dr and he said stay the course, she sounds good (she has been complaining of it being hard to breathe Sun and Mon). He Thinks we should stick with Singulair. 

BUT he said her thyroid is enlarged. (She has had Hashimoto’s diagnosed for three years.) maybe that explains her vague symptoms and emotional ups-and-downs. Her last check-up with endo was in the fall and all was well. 

13 hours ago, sangtarah said:

So, to give you super-slueths another puzzle: dd9 saw the asthma/allergy dr and he said stay the course, she sounds good (she has been complaining of it being hard to breathe Sun and Mon). He Thinks we should stick with Singulair. 

BUT he said her thyroid is enlarged. (She has had Hashimoto’s diagnosed for three years.) maybe that explains her vague symptoms and emotional ups-and-downs. Her last check-up with endo was in the fall and all was well. 

If you trust your allergy doc, do it, you might be right about it being hashimotos symptoms. The timing is suspicious though. Maybe get her in with her endo? 

• Like 1