Menu

What's with the ads?

kbutton

What to do in Houston in July

...for the heat intolerant (like extremely so--headaches, swelling, nausea, etc. when overheated). 

Our family is planning to attend a conference in Houston in July, and we will probably take some time around that event to do vacation things while we're already there if we can find things to do that won't make me miserable. It's an annual conference that we've put off attending, but so far, they seem to host it only in the hottest parts of the country.

General likes: history, science, music, some outdoorsy stuff (light hiking in some kind of nature preserve would be fun, for instance, if weather is reasonable). 

Not big sports fans.

Amusement parks have a lot of things that are off-limits due to health issues of one of the kids, so we'll probably avoid those as well. For the same reasons, we cannot do physical activities that are on difficult terrain or require a lot of straining (for example, light canoeing might be okay if this person is basically an extra person in the canoe and not really having to row). 

I would not plan any outdoor activities - even light hiking. The humidity is insane in Houston. I would sweat horribly just walking down my driveway to get the mail. I found the summers intolerable, and the bugs - mosquitoes especially - were insane. 

Plan indoor activities like visiting the aquarium or children’s museum. 

It’s been years since we lived there so I’m struggling to remember the other museums and indoor activities.  

• Like 3

What part of Houston will you be staying in? 

There’s the Houston of Museum of Natural Science, Museum of Fine Arts and the Holocaust Museum in the Museum district. That would keep you in the AC. 

You could do a trip to Galveston and check out the strand. It’s not the greatest beach by a long shot, but it’s a beach! 

Lots of awesome restaurants- you could have your pick of super good Mexican food, BBQ, steaks etc. If you want recs let me know. 

There’s not really much I’d recommend in the way of outdoor activities for the heat intolerant in July. It’s honestly pretty miserable here by then. 

• Like 3

I agree.  If anyone is even mildly heat intolerant, absolutely no outdoor activities, no matter how mild.  It's unbelievably hot and humid, and there's so much cement it just radiates like you're in a giant oven.  

• Like 2

Space Center and Moody Gardens. 

We always love riding the ferry, but for the heat intolerant that wouldn’t be an option. 

• Like 1

The one outdoor thing you might could do would be the beach, &/or one of the boat tours around Galveston Bay, if being on the water would help (usually the sea breeze is good), but it is going to be HOT and the humidity adds a layer of that if you aren't from a humid part of the country (even if you think you are....). 

But indoors, TONS of great museums, mostly all mentioned. There's also a health museum, a printing museum, the Galleria (mall) has an indoor ice skating rink year-round that is fun, you could maybe do the tunnels in downtown but I've not done them and not honestly sure if they'd be of interest or not (there are stores & restaurants down there, but also a few places of interest). 

In the various suburbs there are other museums and things, too; there's plenty to do, just....yea, I would not be outside. 

• Like 2

Any outdoor activities would need to happen, say, before 8am.  I'm not kidding.  And nights are not good until after, say, midnight, so no outdoor stuff really.  Unless you are very early risers.

• Like 1

ice skating at the mall, IMAX and other moves, there are several public parks with free slash pads, lots of museums, bowling, laser tag, rock climbing gym

if you have time to go to Galveston, there is an indoor water park or at least there used to be. 

When we lived in Houston, July was pretty much stay indoors between 9am and 8 pm. It was normal to have kids playing outside at 10pm at night because it was too hot to do much of anything except watch tv during the day. I wouldn't even take the kids to the pool until after 7 pm.

July was when we would leave town to go on vacation in cooler places. 🙂

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

ice skating at the mall, IMAX and other moves, there are several public parks with free slash pads, lots of museums, bowling, laser tag, rock climbing gym

if you have time to go to Galveston, there is an indoor water park or at least there used to be. 

When we lived in Houston, July was pretty much stay indoors between 9am and 8 pm. It was normal to have kids playing outside at 10pm at night because it was too hot to do much of anything except watch tv during the day. I wouldn't even take the kids to the pool until after 7 pm.

July was when we would leave town to go on vacation in cooler places. 🙂

Yeah, this is why we do school during the summer. 🙂 No one wants to be outside past 9am.  The nice time here is November-May! And sometimes not even that long. 

• Like 1

We vacationed in Houston a couple of summers ago. We bought the Houston City Pass and it was wonderful. We went to NASA, Museum of Natural Science, an aquarium, Houston Art Museum, and the Children's Museum. The museums in Houston are fantastic. The food was also a huge highlight of the trip. We didn't do any outdoor activities because it was entirely too hot. 

• Like 1

Skip the beach. It stinks, it’s polluted, and just plain nasty. We’d occasionally attempt the drive, get there and open the car doors , only to be hit with a gritty, humid, hot as hell wind. 

I’d go to the Museum of Natural History, eat some Mexican Food, and find an outlet mall for shopping.

• Like 1

You might want to swim in the evenings.  For an outdoor pool you might not want to go during the main part of the day.  Morning and evening I would expect to be lovely.  

• Like 1

Also you may want to plan on an adult going out to start the air conditioning in the car, if you will return from an outing in the afternoon.  The car will be very hot and take a little time to cool off.  

With my little kids in Oklahoma in the summer, I always had a water bottle for them that started with a lot of ice.  And, I would not take them in the car in swim clothes.  They can heat up really fast in swim clothes.  

• Like 1

These are good recommendations--I do not know where we will be staying as the venue hasn't been announced, and we haven't looked at lodging yet. I am glad to know that my concerns about the humid heat are very real!

I would love more food information--I am gluten free, and I have other food limitations, the worst of which are peppers (bell, hot, mild, seasonings made from them, etc.), tomatoes, and citrus. So, if there is a directory that locals use for gluten free restaurants or allergy-friendly restaurants, I would truly appreciate it!

On 12/30/2018 at 8:49 PM, Slache said:

Homeschool bookstore.

That would be a treat! 

All the museums sound interesting, and I am curious now about the health museum...googling. The event we attend has a kids' program, and they usually take the kids to a ballgame or a museum or something like that. I hope they choose something indoors.

And yes, swimming in the evening is a must! 

I am going to have to suggest that if the yearly convention is not going to move from July, they start choosing some cooler cities. 

5 minutes ago, kbutton said:

These are good recommendations--I do not know where we will be staying as the venue hasn't been announced, and we haven't looked at lodging yet. I am glad to know that my concerns about the humid heat are very real!

I would love more food information--I am gluten free, and I have other food limitations, the worst of which are peppers (bell, hot, mild, seasonings made from them, etc.), tomatoes, and citrus. So, if there is a directory that locals use for gluten free restaurants or allergy-friendly restaurants, I would truly appreciate it!

That would be a treat! 

All the museums sound interesting, and I am curious now about the health museum...googling. The event we attend has a kids' program, and they usually take the kids to a ballgame or a museum or something like that. I hope they choose something indoors.

And yes, swimming in the evening is a must! 

I am going to have to suggest that if the yearly convention is not going to move from July, they start choosing some cooler cities. 

Keep in mind that Houston is big area wise. And traffic sucks. There are a lot of toll roads if you're traversing much of an area, so keep that in mind too. If you're staying in the Woodlands for instance, you probably aren't going to want to day trip to Galveston most likely. 

I am not sure about gluten free places. If I had to list my favorite Houston area restaurants in general though, I'd say Pappasito's or El Tiempo for Mexican food -El Tiempo's margaritas are also excellent. I'm assuming gluten free fare can be found at any of those. Killen's or Taste of Texas probably for steakhouse.

A lot of people love Killen's BBQ in Pearland as well, although I personally thing Pappa's Delta Blue Smokehouse has them beat, plus I hate standing in line for BBQ which you have to do at Killen's- not worth it to me,  but people drive from all around to go there, so many think it's worth it. Everything Killen's has become sort of a trendy thing around here. 

I have a friend with extreme food allergies, and I know places like Killen's Steakhouse and Perry's Steakhouse accommodate her. Not sure about anywhere else. Maybe someone else can chime in. Once you know what area of town you'll be in, it'll be easier to get other recs. I'm an hour south, so I lean towards things on that side of Houston. Not the north or west side for the most part. 

• Like 1