Menu

What's with the ads?

Murphy101

Get rid of it all 2019

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Is there a homeless shelter you could donate to? I heard a homeless lady at the library saying a stranger gave her a blanket while she was sleeping at the train station and it helps her a lot since our nights are windy chilly (even though our winters are very mild)

That's a good idea. I know there's a homeless shelter that some people from my church provide food for.  I can find out if the shelter also takes clothing items, like hats/scarves.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I just realized this is April.  In a couple weeks will be ds birthday.  I told myself back in the fall I would NOT be doing the wild and frantic
"flight of the bumblebee"  hiding stuff and cleaning before the grandparents came over.   I told myself the house would be cleaned out (mostly) and just have to do a quick general clean.

Uh huh that happened.  I think I just got my swift kick in the butt to get moving.  Geez 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 3/28/2019 at 5:12 AM, Carrie12345 said:

I haven’t gotten a whole lot done lately, but I feel some motivation coming on!

It’s officially mud season here.  The snow is mostly gone, but it will be a long while before things turn green, so everything just looks dead and gross. That usually makes me desperate to create clean and calm spaces, lol.

I did finally have an old, broken bookcase taken away this week. We’re only allowed 2 bulk items a month, so that was sitting in my living room waiting for its turn for a few weeks. I’ve also continued to make small amounts of progress on paper files. I think I could knock it all out if I had an uninterrupted day to myself, but that’s not happening anytime soon!

Mud season here too and it is driving me nuts!  We still don’t have flooring in all our house either, and my husband sanded the drywall to prep for more painting next weekend, so it just feels like a constant mess being tracked everywhere. I can’t really spring clean until the renovation is done and grrrrrr I want to!

• Like 1

Spring Break this week for us, no school for the kids enrolled and most of our extracurricular are also on break.

I told the kids we are Spring Cleaning every day and then going to do something fun as a reward in the afternoons. 

• Like 1

Finally sold the kids playhouse with matching table and chairs. They are 11 and 13 after all. 😂 The back porch feels so much bigger now. Selling on FB Marketplace was overwhelming. I had so many people asking if it was still available. How the heck am I supposed to ship it to another state? 🙄 I ended up selling it to a neighbor through NextDoor. They picked it up the next day and I ordered pizza for lunch that spent half of what I got. But I didn't have to cook all weekend and I was not tempted and stuck to my diet. 

I'm going to spend the week working on the yard. I have leaking sprinkler valves that I want to fix before it gets too hot.

Edited by Plum
because I didn't sell a neighbor
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My mom is downsizing and gave us a load of linens. Culled those down to what we can actually use and dropped the rest at the thrift store.

This week: 

Sell books at McKay

Reorganize linen closet. (Borrow a label maker for this!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

My mom is downsizing and gave us a load of linens. Culled those down to what we can actually use and dropped the rest at the thrift store.

This week: 

Sell books at McKay

Label makers improve every task 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Label makers improve every task 👍

My kids love the label maker. I had to use return address labels last time because it was out of batteries.  

• Like 1

I think last time I posted here, I was stuck on paper clutter. I went through everything and have 2 cardboard diaper boxes of papers we no longer need sitting in the garage. We will burn them this spring and summer when we sit around the fire pit.

I now sort of have a system for incoming paper. Its not perfect but we are officially moving and I needed to move on to other things so we'll see what the flow of the incoming paper is in the new house. 

I decluttered the boys' room and set up a toy rotation system for the new house since its a major downsize. It also means 3/4 of their toys are already packed! Win, win!  

I gave two huge reusable shopping bags full of girl clothes to a friend with a daughter younger than mine. We also gave away dd's huge Barbie dream house and all the barbies and their clothes! So glad to be rid of all that!

This weekend, I threw out 2 big garbage bags of junk (broken/worn out kid stuff) and 2 big trash bags of things to donate.

I packed the hall closet and the linen closet. The bathrooms are down to essentials only, the rest is packed. The tv stand contents are packed. I gave away a bunch of babyish DVDs. The living room bookcase is packed. The storage Ottomans are emptied (they are to heavy to move when full). The medicine cabinet is essentials only, the rest is packed.

I gave away several of dh's suits, dress shirts, and ties to someone in need. They no longer fit him and he had way more ties than he needs anyway. 

Today the kids put essential school work for the next month in their backpacks so now I can declutter and pack the school room. That room is dead last on my list though! 😄 

I'm happy with the things I've done but there is still so much to do! 😱

• Like 6

Just put away my laundry. Below are my Kon Mari’d drawers 2 months in. At least you can tell I don’t do it perfectly and I didn’t straighten it out just for the pic. I just make an extra fold and shove it in. 😬 this method makes it super easy to find the shirt I want without toppling a pile. 

But I refuse to Kon Mari my underwear and socks. I can only go so far ya know. 

70779AA7-0F0E-48F1-B756-A5B24C0560B3.jpeg

• Like 5

I registered for a curriculum sale next month!  Hoping that will not only help with the boxes I put in the shed, but that it will also convince me to pull more from the shelves over the next few weeks!

• Like 4

I've been working through the whole house, starting with a couple of the kids rooms and my room. Some things have just gotten put in storage (Ds14's legos that he no longer wants in his room 😥), but we've taken huge piles of stuff to Goodwill. My husband finally consented to get rid of some clothes. He doesn't shop for clothes, but he accumulates them (his sister gives him a collared shirt most birthdays and Christmases, and he gets a few company shirts each year). He doesn't not like getting rid of them, but this time he did sort off 3 large bags full. He still has enough t-shirts for every day of the month. Well, maybe just February. I'm trying to sell some things now. I don't know if they'll sell or not. It is probably not worth my time to try.

We are all enjoying the house more. I'll be excited when we finish.

• Like 2

Three bags gone to the thrift store--including one of schoolbooks.  I couldn't find one of next year's spelling books, so I had an afternoon of taking EVERYTHING out of all the various boxes of school stuff stashed around the house and hunting for that *(&^&* book.  

I found it. 🙂

And two more piles of stuff waiting to go on the next trip on Monday.

• Like 2

In preparation of redoing/reusing the closet in the extra bedroom (which dd wants part of for storage), I was going to revisit my own closet so various things can go in my closet.

I decided to KonMari it. (This includes my closet as well as some additional clothes I had stored in the extra closet last year.) Wow. It was like unloading a clown car. Stuff just kept coming, and coming, and coming. How can so much fit into a closet? I have many large bags of clothes, shoes, & accessories to donate. (My sister gives dd & me a lot of clothes, so we always seem to accumulate a lot.) Now I have room in my closet to store my luggage, possibly other pieces too. And all the gift wrapping stuff.

My car is loaded for donation again. Plus, I have a lamp in there as well as a cat climbing tower that my cats never use.

• Like 5

I bought this for another home but it looks like we’re staying here so I hung these up by our other many spices/seasonings etc. It’s a start. Found these on the Wish app. They are not nailed in so I’m using with light containers. Clearly we have rebought stuff before because we didn’t know what we had. 

952C6FF1-B6F6-4BFA-827F-8D6F7E420503.jpeg

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 6

My daughter was looking for 2 watercolor paintings she made for her grandmas. I knew I put them in a safe place. Since we konmaried, I've been able to find everything!

We looked in the pantry first with her other paintings but didn't see them there. We searched several other places but I remembered all the paintings were stored together (fabulous konmarie tip of storing like things in only one place) in the pantry. We looked again and sure enough, they were tucked behind another painting. 

It really has made a difference to "see" everything in one place. When I pull out the battery container, if we're running low on AA batteries, I know I need to add them to the shopping list because there aren't other packages of batteries around the house - soooooo much easier!

• Like 6

I was hoping to plan a big purge (meaning big stuff, mostly shed junk) for this weekend, but it looks like we might be getting iced in tomorrow. Though Sunday is supposed to be lovely! But probably quite muddy. @@

I suppose I should purge the master bath instead.  My kids all share the main bathroom, and we manage to keep that pretty minimized just fine... because all the junk gets stored in mine!!!

• Like 3

Made the kids try on their spring/summer clothes the other day. Youngest grew (yay!! she's below the 1st percentile still, but she grew!), so all of her clothes from last year were a no-go. Made a list of what needs to be purchased and contacted some friends to see if they could use last year's clothes. 

I have a little corner of the room where the goodwill/giveaway pile is. It's growing pretty quickly; I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to set up a table at the neighborhood garage sale in a month or two. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beckyjo said:

Made the kids try on their spring/summer clothes the other day. Youngest grew (yay!! she's below the 1st percentile still, but she grew!), so all of her clothes from last year were a no-go. Made a list of what needs to be purchased and contacted some friends to see if they could use last year's clothes. 

I have a little corner of the room where the goodwill/giveaway pile is. It's growing pretty quickly; I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to set up a table at the neighborhood garage sale in a month or two. 

This is high on my to do list too!  The weather seems to be getting reliably warmer and I just know a bunch of stuff doesn’t fit...

• Like 1

Haven't gotten completely back in the groove but I have at least been adding stuff to the give away pile lately.  

• Like 1

Dh is outside right now cleaning out the garage. I put my car in the garage, but his side is filled, end to end, with junk. He scraps metal, but he tears stuff apart to get the metal and to get the best price. He's really busy with work and volunteer stuff and the stuff piles up and piles up and then he spends hours tearing it apart. It's really not the most productive use of his limited time. It does bring in a little extra money and I don't care if stuff comes in and then goes right to the scrapyard, but it has taken over the garage/basement/shed. The piles of (other people's) junk is the one thing we argue about, especially since I've been decluttering all my nice stuff while he keeps bringing in more junk. Clutter totally stresses me out and I'm just not going to put up with whole areas of our house full of broken and useless things that he's going to get to someday. 

• Sad 4

Got some stuff to Once Upon a Child and boxed up the the stuff they didn't take for Thred Up. Not much $, but out of my house and a little bit of cash for it is nice.

Returned extra swimsuits to Justice - I ordered 3 and DD got to pick the best. 

Kids went through their closet this morning (I made them de-junk the floor) and got rid of several old toys. They're in the goodwill pile at the moment.

Dropped off 5 books at the Little Free Library in front of the elementary school. 

• Like 3

I just got back from the donation center and unloaded a whole SUV full of stuff!

A highchair, a whole set of pots and pans, muffin tins, plastic food storage containers with lids, cake decorating supplies, an electric skillet, trash bags full of outgrown kid clothes, cookbooks I never use, and an old Play Station 2 with all the cords, tons of games, and the inserts that came with the games.

So so so happy to be done with all of it and I'm motivated to get rid of more!

• Like 3

Ok the sticky strips that came with the spice racks didn’t hold up well. Ugh. Dh and I will replace with some better quality 3M strips. Had ds take down all the spices (after a few had fallen). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

Dropped off 5 books at the Little Free Library in front of the elementary school. 

That's what I should have done with my cookbooks! 😒

50 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Ok the sticky strips that came with the spice racks didn’t hold up well. Ugh. Dh and I will replace with some better quality 3M strips. Had ds take down all the spices (after a few had fallen). 

I bought some like that from Amazon a few years back. I tried to remove them to paint my cabinets recently but couldn't get them off, not even prying with a knife! I was amazed. Good thing I like them where they are!

• Like 2

I got to do the garage today! Went from a precarious path out to the freezers to possible to park two minivans in it. If I didn’t instead have a massive old pickup and a tank for a van, I’d probably be more excited about that aspect. lol

And we almost have the master bathroom lowered ceiling with fluorescent bulbs replaced with can lights and new tiles. Then I have all week to paint the toilet/shower area, sinks and closets area and then the actual bedroom.

The only things left in the garage I still need out are the window ac units for upstairs.  We will likely put in next weekend. I don’t expect to use them for another month, but better to install before it’s 100°.

And a drop leaf table that I started refinishing 10 years ago and never finished. Really close too. Iirc I was done with the top and legs and was down to the trim and getting new hardware. Ugh. I’d super love to have it done and in use. I could really use it. Especially at holidays. But alas if I can’t commit to getting it done, I guess I should get rid of it. ☹️

I’m excited about the bedroom. It’s had the same crap puce color from the previous owner all these 12 years and I have always hated it. And all the lighting was horrible and broken. I was down to one fluorescent bulb that flickered to put makeup on by. 

ETA: next months goal is to tackle the garden beds. I should be doing it now, but that’s just not going to fit in the April calendar. 

Eta2: oh! Added bonus! There was a bring your scrap metal for donations event today. So all the old fluorescent lighting fixtures, a grill that doesn’t work and a barrel smoker that’s kaput were all gotten rid of at no cost. They came and picked it all up for me even.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 5

Cleaned out the storage bin on the back porch. I now have enough room for all of the chair covers, gardening supplies, and the few pieces of sports equipment we have. 

My middle has caught the organization bug. I put him in charge of the hall closet and he has asked for more labels and gave me a hard time because I didn't want the 5 gallon water bottles on their sides under the shelves. I know they clear up the space more, but there's a chance they'll leak and they are harder to get out. Gotta love him.

He also grabbed a bunch of twist ties and tied up each individual charger cord in our charging station so they won't be splayed all over.  

• Like 3

On 4/1/2019 at 7:38 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Mud season here too and it is driving me nuts!  We still don’t have flooring in all our house either, and my husband sanded the drywall to prep for more painting next weekend, so it just feels like a constant mess being tracked everywhere. I can’t really spring clean until the renovation is done and grrrrrr I want to!

I know people think it looks old lady or ugly  but I love either indoor/outdoor “carpet” or a very large patio rug right outside of my doors.  Young people just aren’t thoughtful about mud and dirt and this way no matter what, they have to scrap their shoes at least a little bit before coming in. It makes a tremendous difference. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 8:54 AM, ScoutTN said:

This week: 

Sell books at McKay

Don;t you love McKAys? I love trading in a whole box of things I don't want and getting one or two things that I really LOVE!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Don;t you love McKAys? I love trading in a whole box of things I don't want and getting one or two things that I really LOVE!

Yes! It is worth it to be patient and go back several times to find a treasure. We usually go Monday or Tuesday mornings. It is across town for me, about a 25 minute drive. I wish there was a coffee shop next door or even a good food truck in the parking lot! 

Dear Ab bee 🐝 hive,

Looking like a bomb or tornado went off here.  (Though roof is fine TG).  

I’m caught between taxes and purging, plus some other stuff, and have created a Grid lock of chaos.  

What should I do? 

Signed, Hopeless in Havocville, 

or Befuddled by cluttered chaos cottage

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pen said:

Dear Ab bee 🐝 hive,

Looking like a bomb or tornado went off here.  (Though roof is fine TG).  

I’m caught between taxes and purging, plus some other stuff, and have created a Grid lock of chaos.  

What should I do? 

Signed, Hopeless in Havoc

That's when I break out A Slob Comes Clean method of focusing on just one little area and 1) throw garbage away and 2) run the easy stuff that has a home to its home right now. It makes a dent at least.

• Thanks 1

I’m sorry you’re stuck!  That’s where I just find new podcast and power through until 2 am, feeling very proud of myself and accomplished for martyring myself to the Pile of Doom 👀

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m sorry you’re stuck!  That’s where I just find new podcast and power through until 2 am, feeling very proud of myself and accomplished for martyring myself to the Pile of Doom 👀

Can I ... have brownies as I work on The Giant Pile of Doom?  (I am trying to do keto, and no sugar but ...). 

And what sort of podcast helps to power through?  

Edited by Pen

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Can I ... have brownies as I work on The Giant Pile of Doom?  (I am trying to do keto, and no sugar but ...). 

YES!  I had some Oreos as I worked on mine today; and I’m supposed to be on a candida autoimmune paleo protocol.  But since we had birthday cake yesterday I felt another meal of cheat wasn’t the end of the world.

We got drywall dust all over the entire kitchen today, along with great blobs of drywall mud all over the house.  I ended up cleaning much of the kitchen mess, then trimming and repotting all my succulents, reorganizing the kitchen, and finally completely reorganizing the pantry because my washer drain kept spewing water all over the floor and cardboard boxes due to a clog somewhere under the slab 😭

I started at 2 pm and finished at 11:30 tonight.  So yeah, accomplished a ton.  But now my feet, left ankle, and back are kiiiilling me.  But the satisfaction of seeing it all clean almost makes it all worth it 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

YES!  I had some Oreos as I worked on mine today; and I’m supposed to be on a candida autoimmune paleo protocol.  But since we had birthday cake yesterday I felt another meal of cheat wasn’t the end of the world.

We got drywall dust all over the entire kitchen today, along with great blobs of drywall mud all over the house.  I ended up cleaning much of the kitchen mess, then trimming and repotting all my succulents, reorganizing the kitchen, and finally completely reorganizing the pantry because my washer drain kept spewing water all over the floor and cardboard boxes due to a clog somewhere under the slab 😭

I started at 2 pm and finished at 11:30 tonight.  So yeah, accomplished a ton.  But now my feet, left ankle, and back are kiiiilling me.  But the satisfaction of seeing it all clean almost makes it all worth it 😆

I am impressed: Good for you!  👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Holy crow.
No one in my house has any scheduled plans today. At all. All day.
Wish my family luck. There is no escaping a mandatory purge!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I read this advice one time, about knowing where to start, if there is no obvious place.  It said just start on one side of the room and move towards the other side of the room!  For some reason this has really helped me to get started when I don't know where to start.  

Otherwise -- I tend to go with Flylady (or my version lol) and start with dishes and laundry.  Then I move from there to the living room.  Then bedrooms.  That works well for me when things aren't too bad.  When things are bad -- I just need to start somewhere and move across the room, or move in a circle through a room, and just Start Doing Something.  

• Like 5

This isn't exactly decluttering, but I pulled the umbrella out of the shed and installed it on the picnic table and I swept up the big pile of leaves on the deck. It was a beautiful day and I needed to at least do something outside.

I did get dh to take a whole van load of stuff to Goodwill from the garage. I've seen parts of the garage floor that have been buried for years and found a few things that I can use now!

• Like 6

Dh and I cleaned out his work truck today. 2 big black trash bags of trash out of it and a BUNCH of supplies going to the company warehouse in the morning. I drove it to the nearest carwash and vacuumed it out. It took four rounds of vacuuming but it looks awesome now! 

I made a small dent in the garage. I am parting with 2 complete scuba sets, a trash bag full of dh's too small (or too many) winter work clothes and work coats, and a ton of grocery bags to recycle. I organized the kids outdoor toys but they wouldn't let me donate any of them. That's what I get for going through it while they were right there, playing outside. 😁 

• Like 3

I've been digging weeds out of my flower and berry beds all week.

That's decluttering, right?

• Like 7

I got tension rods to help streamline my gift wrap storage. Now for the gift wrap bucket I own? Either get rid of it or maybe use as a hamper or toy bin. But might want to just donate since it takes up space. 

Found these rods buy one get one 50% off at Family Dollar. 

5D93244B-A91C-4A87-BC5B-001DA4C65D39.jpeg

• Like 9

Genius use of tension rods! Definitely stealing that idea. 

Finally cleaned out and reorganized my linen closet. (intended to two weeks ago) Two large bags to thrift. 

Next up: 

seasonal clothes switch out

The Shed! 

Maintain the lovely, organized family room closet by removing stuff dh has randomly put in there recently. 

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I got tension rods to help streamline my gift wrap storage. Now for the gift wrap bucket I own? Either get rid of it or maybe use as a hamper or toy bin. But might want to just donate since it takes up space. 

Found these rods buy one get one 50% off at Family Dollar. 

This is brilliant! I have some extra rods from another project that I’m going to try to put to use. You rock!

I found the rod idea online some time back but this is the first time I’ve seen them in the store. I’d been contemplating ordering some online recently. For a long time I didn’t know what they were called (the website had an image but no name) so I didn’t know how to search for them. 

I had my dad's estate sale on Saturday and I am sitting in my van at his house watching the haul away people take the rest away.  Weight on my shoulders lifting as I type.  Taking a week off and going to start working on my house.  Can't wait!

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 7

Went through bins of clothing in the basement; 4 large bins of baby clothes washed, sorted by size, labeled, and ready to go to the crisis pregnancy center.

And 3 other bags of boys' clothes to go to Salvation Army.

• Like 5