Menu

Get rid of it all 2019

Murphy101

Minor-major purge over here tonight! Minor because there wasn’t a whole lot of stuff that left (one plastic grocery bag full) but major because it was from my son’s top bunk!!!

He’s been resisting having me help him go through things up there. It’s where he keeps his precious belongings “safe” from his little brother.  But I knew that junk was also collecting up there, and it was all terribly organized and making it difficult for him to change his sheets.

By the end, he was using great care in arranging his stuff in the 3 canvas bins I allotted him, and he seems prettty happy with the results.

If I could just get his older sisters on board...

• Like 1

We ventured into the terribly scary basement today. For years it's been the "I'm not sure I want to get rid of that yet so just stick it in the basement" spot. It's so bad that I'm don't let anyone but family down there. Now dh is working from home and he shoved everything over to carve out an office space. He's also not known for his ability to get rid of anything, so it's gotten worse down there! We filled three trash bags and a donation box and we've barely begun.  I also have an enormous pile of toys that I want to sell. We agreed that if they didn't sell in one month from the date we listed them, they would get donated. I hope we can keep up the motivation to finally get it cleaned up.

• Like 2

Dropped two crates of stuff at the thrift store and continued tagging clothes for a consignment sale. 

Dh FINALLY took the Christmas tree to the recycle lot. Our city chips them all up for mulch.

On the other hand, dh is already trying to junk up the storage closet I cleaned out so thoroughly. Argh! 

I’m still on the schoolroom. 7 boxes of books gone to the public library, and 6 to the school library. Lots of trash and recycling gone, bags to Goodwill. I’m waiting on someone to pick up old non-working printers and kiddie bookcases. The homeschool curriculum is in stacks, I’m accepting all offers just to get rid of it and bring in a few bucks. My goal is to make the room a book/art/game room, but if I don’t organize it well, it will become a dumping ground again. No one does schoolwork in there. At least now you can vacuum the floor, that’s progress.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 9:27 AM, cintinative said:

I still have old calendars dating back years and I can't come up with any good reason for them other than memories/nostalgia. 

Surely I can't be the only one who suspects i will one day be falsely accused of murder and will have to account for my whereabouts on a random Tuesday three years ago?

I seriously think of that every time I dispose of an old calendar...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

after listing a TV on my local FB buy nothing page, and responded to THREE people, none of whom confirmed they'd come and get it.  (only one responded to ask about dimensions) - I finally got rid of it.  I put it on craigslist - and it still went to someone who' s only 15 minutes away.   win-win.  I didn't have to haul it anywhere, and they got a tv for free.  and it's gone...

• Like 2

Everyone is doing great!   I was on such a good roll before Christmas season but having trouble getting back in gear. 

I remembered an idea I heard about.  Get some empty totes with lids and box up the kitchen like moving (not the food). Clean the cabinets while empty.  When I need an item I will pull it out, use, wash and put back in the cabinets.  By the end of the month I should have everything I use in my cabinets.  The article said donate the rest.  

Thinking about trying this with a few minor variations.  Like after cleaning cabinets putting the stuff I know I use back in the cabinets (plates, cereal bowls, new cookware, everyone's favorite cup) and using cardboard boxes for stuff I am pretty sure I want to get rid of but have some doubt about (old cookware, some glasses etc) and totes for stuff that I am not sure about.  This way when I get done with my experiment I don't have to touch the things I had some doubt about again.  I can just load the boxes and donate them.  Yes if I touch a boxed item again even if I haven't used it in a year I sometimes get the "what if I really need this" doubt again.  

I got some new cookware for Christmas but the pans are different sizes than what I am use to using.  I am hoping this will help me figure out what I can get rid of and what I need to keep.

Maybe I could try this concept with other areas of the house I am struggling with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baseball mom said:

I remembered an idea I heard about.  Get some empty totes with lids and box up the kitchen like moving (not the food). Clean the cabinets while empty.  When I need an item I will pull it out, use, wash and put back in the cabinets.  By the end of the month I should have everything I use in my cabinets.  The article said donate the rest.  

This is a great idea!

During the Superbowl, I plan to go through school books as my dd is going to dual enroll next year. I don't need to keep extras just in case anymore. 

The swing set is gone! I let our handyman take it to fix up for his little kids. My kids are excited about how much bigger the backyard looks (youngest is 9, no one has been playing on that swing set in awhile). Now they’re begging for a trampoline and dh is remaining steadfast against it.

Edited by musicianmom

Dh gave notice that we would be out of our off-site 5 x 5 storage unit on February 23rd.  This will save us $105 per month!

We spent some more time today culling but mostly consolidating.  We have on-site storage at our condo, but there were already things in it, and it is only 3 x 4.  We do have some of ds’s things, but I am slowly shipping some things (mostly sheet music) to him in flat rate USPS large boxes.  We will continue to store some things for him.  

The biggest challenges we are finding are irregular-shaped items.  Some of them cannot be avoided (golf clubs, bike rack for the back of the car, etc).  However, what we have determined is having plastic tubs in two sizes but that are all identical has helped tremendously. Two of the smaller stack neatly on top of the larger.  Though, for the most part we are stacking large on large and small on small.  We are using clear tubs.  I am listing what is inside of them on a piece of paper and positioning the paper inside the tub so it can be read from the outside.  We are organizing things in the on-site storage unit based on how frequently we will need to access them.  We will have tall stacks, but we are determined to make it work.  We are having to put some things in our closets in our condo, and they are now a bit more “full” than I would like them but not horrible. 

Our remaining struggle are three large-ish and irregular shaped items that belong to ds - a sound mixing board, an accordion, and a guitar.  I am seriously considering offering him cash to replace them if he so desires - just cutting him a a check.  The guitar is not special to him, but he purchased the accordion with his own money that he saved (a large purchase for the age at which he bought it). He used to use the sound mixing board quite a bit.  

Still unsure what to do with my wedding portrait and all of our framed diplomas/certificates.  They are too large to stack in the larger tubs we are using.  I don’t really have space to hang them in our condo (nor do I want to).  

I posted on a separate thread that I donated my wedding gown earlier this week to Angel Gowns.  That got rid of a large box! 

We are getting there. 

• Like 4

Hoggirl, I am impressed!!

Do you have room under a bed for a storage box for the diplomas? Or even under a sofa? Or get one wider but shorter box that they would fit in and balance it on top of one of your stacks of other boxes?

We moved this summer and cleared out many things then. But I still have boxes of memorabilia and miscellaneous things in my basement storage room that I need to go through. We are always going to need some storage space, but I think I could reduce it by half if I really worked at it. I'm still recovering from our move, though, and I also helped my Dad move in November and December, so I am not in the mood to sort through those things soon. Eventually, I think I will make a goal of sorting one box per week. And my ultimate goal for my storage items is to pare it all down to the basic before we move again. Barring a change in our circumstances, we won't move until the kids are grown -- we've moved way too many times so far -- but we also know that we will eventually need to downsize before retirement. So in ten years, give or take, I want to have many fewer storage items. The normal thing for me to do is accumulate more, so it will take an ongoing commitment to reduce, instead.

• Like 1

DD13 cleared clothes out of her room today, with no prompting. I was impressed!! They are still in her room, actually, but we will bag them up tomorrow. Also, last weekend, I had DS14 remove all of the shirts that he would never wear from his closet and drawers, so we have a big stack of boys' clothing to get rid of, as well. I pulled six or eight shirts from my own cupboard that I don't wear any more, and I can add to that, because I did not do a thorough job but just grabbed the obvious things.

The cupboard where we keep our games is stuffed full, and we are having trouble fitting in the new ones that we got for Christmas and recent birthdays. So I decided to pull some things out of there today. I found two copies of Trivial Pursuit -- how we ended up with two, I don't know -- so we will get rid of one. I could probably get rid of both, but I used to love it and am not ready to say good-bye completely yet, even though there are other games that I prefer now.

I also found three versions of Scrabble. One regular. One travel edition. One deluxe edition where you can spin the board to face each player in turn. Spinning the board is a good feature, but so is the compact size of the travel one, so I have to look at them in more detail before I decide. I'll make sure that whichever one I keep has all of the pieces, still.

I also pulled out a few of the kids' games that they don't play any more, and I will have the decide if they are ready to let them go. Operation. Rush Zone football board game (we got this one for DS13 when he was playing flag football, but I think it's only been played once or twice in the years we've owned it). And one other so far. I can probably rustle around in there and find a few more.

I don't think the game cupboard will be any less full in the end, but I should be able to fit the new things in. There are many newer games that I would love to own, and it would be nice to have space for new acquisitions.

• Like 1

@Story girl - for better or worse our bed is a platform bed.  There is not much room underneath it.  The flat storage box we had was about an inch too tall.  There are a bunch of little “posts” (for lack of a better term) under the platform to support it.  Our other bedroom has a sleeper sofa - barely any room underneath at all. Not only are the diplomas framed, they are matted as well, which makes them particularly large.  We currently have our Christmas ornaments stacked on top. 🙂 We’ll figure something out!

On games, I have seen the suggestion to remove them from boxes and just stack the boards and put the pieces/dices/spinners in labeled ziploc bags.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have made over $250 at the big consignment sale this month! Consigning is not new for me, but it is nice to have clothes and houshold items that we no longer need make money. I always put in many more items than I purchase, plus we are trading no longer useful items for things we need.

I spent $150 on kids' clothes, toys (gifts for birthdays and Christmas, carefully stashed away!), household items and a purse for me. Retail value well over $800, plus sales tax of over 9%. Consignment sales (as opposed to consignment stores) do not pay/charge sales tax in TN. 

I continue to cull and sift our household items, taking several bags to the thrift store each month. 

Looking forward to some warmer, drier weather when I can attack the shed and then the attic.

• Like 3

I'm doing well over here.  I've culled and packed all of our belongings quite a bit in preparation for our move, which we'll begin moving into the new house on Tuesday after closing. I still have to help my mom tackle her stuff when she gets home in March.  She's done a lot on her own but I'll get her through the rest of it as we need to get everything out so we can work on her house before putting it on the market

On 1/29/2019 at 11:27 AM, cintinative said:

I struggle to keep up with shredding. I just spent about five hours shredding a few weeks ago and that was not even everything I should have cleared out. It would go so  much better if I did it as I went along (new bill filed, old bill shredded) but I never do that. I wait until the file cabinet declares there is no more room, and then I sit and shred until the shredder gets overheated. Sigh. Starting new habits is hard! 

Me too but my sister had the perfect solution for me.  I bought a metal trash can, added some gravel I already had into the bottom and made a burn bucket/can. She, my dc, and I burned bunches of paper earlier this week. It was fun and freeing and so much better than spending hours shredding. Next time we'll be better prepared and have s'mores fixings on hand, lol.

Have been working steadily on the paper monster. After asking in another thread for filing help, I decided to invest in Freedom Filer labels. So, I have been setting that up and filing or trashing as needed. Have another large paper sack filled with papers for the next burn. Loving this set-up so far.

Continuing to do random stuff too. Have a couch, chair, and a bike pulled aside for donation, some desk chairs that are broken to trash, etc.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:45 AM, StaceyinLA said:

I’ve gone through them, and I’m not sure there are many more I’m willing to toss, but I still don’t know that I would want to take the time to get them all into books. I might though - I just need to set aside time to get it done.

I work for a photographer, and she has told me she’ll help me digitize all my really old photos (like me as a baby/child), so I can make an album of those pics. For pictures of my kids, I would be fine taking those with my phone then uploading and making books. I just want them somewhere.

How do you make albums with digital pictures? I've realized I have TONS of digital pictures -- but the kids never see them because they are on the computer. Is there some sort of digital scrapbook I can use to put them together then order a book they can actually page through?

Well, my house looks like a bomb went off,   Lol.

After so much decluttering, I decided it was time to get new shelves in my food storage pantry, which is a 7’ long closet. So I had to empty the entire thing.  There are bags of food everywhere!!!  But I’m looking forward to organizing it this weekend.

5 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

How do you make albums with digital pictures? I've realized I have TONS of digital pictures -- but the kids never see them because they are on the computer. Is there some sort of digital scrapbook I can use to put them together then order a book they can actually page through?

Just google photobook, lots of places do them. We've used shutterfly and others, there are frequent sales that make them inexpensive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stacia said:

I didn't start the thread, but jump right in! There's still a lot of 2019 remaining to get rid of stuff.

Thanks!  I’m not going totally minimalist but trying for what sparks joy a la Konmari.  Modifying due to circumstances and health issues.  

I am tired now from what I did yesterday even though it seems like not much—but I keep going and looking at an area that has only needed or joy items and like it a lot!

On 2/2/2019 at 8:56 PM, goldberry said:

Surely I can't be the only one who suspects i will one day be falsely accused of murder and will have to account for my whereabouts on a random Tuesday three years ago?

I seriously think of that every time I dispose of an old calendar...

🙂 I’ve had that too!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 6:10 AM, StaceyinLA said:

I tend to feel that way because I am definitely not one to keep things I’m not using regularly, but, by the same token, wondering at what point to stop. Certainly if I just keep collecting them, I’ll have a LOT more, but my OCD tendencies are either to keep collecting til I have every state I’ve ever been to, OR just pick a certain limitation, like only states my kids or grandkids lived (because I spent lots of time in those places), or something along those lines.

I mean does anyone really NEED 30 coffee mugs?

Can they do other things too?  I’ve been putting individual lunch servings of soup into refrigerator  (the outside one — this will be even better when decluttering allows me to have one inside) in “coffee” mugs.  I can reheat them in IP.  (We don’t have a microwave.)  I wish I had a few extra excellent multipurpose mugs.  

Edited by Pen

We are doing awesome here!  Officially out of our off-site, 5 x 5 storage unit!  Woo-boo!  Still working on finding homes for some of the items that were in there.   Mostly things that belong to ds.  He doesn’t have a lot, either, but our downsized condo is small - 935 sq ft.  Our on-site storage unit is 3 x 4.  I am slowly mailing him sheet music in priority, flat-rate, USPS boxes.  He also has photo albums that his grandmother made for him.  She would give him one (sometimes two) small, but fat photo albums each year.  They are challenging.  The photos are all in sleeves, BUT she affixed labels on the outside that are descriptions or captions about the photo itself.  Idk how successfully they could be scanned with the sleeves on, but I am not doing that for ds.  I am shipping them to him, and he can figure it out. Getting him his sheet music and albums will eliminate two, large, Steri-lite tubs.  

We still have some challenges with some other things.  Our bed is platform and not much can go under it.  Other bedroom has a sleeper sofa, so no under bed storage there.  

I never thought we could go without off-site storage, but we are going to make it work!  And save $105 per month because of it! Yay!

• Like 3

Congrats Hoggirl, sounds like you have done a lot of work!

Re: framed diplomas.... Have you considered removing the frames and matting and storing just the diplomas themselves? If you're not planning to hang or display them in the future, maybe it's something to consider?

• Like 1

Just now, Thatboyofmine said:

Well, KonMari has claimed the first victim.  I twisted my knee konmari’ing my kitchen yesterday.  I thought it would feel better today, but nope.  That said, I have no regrets.  My kitchen looks awesome, lol.    I do still need to do that cabinet above the fridge, the cabinet that has no use at all because I can’t reach it.  It’s like a black hole in there.   

@Pen, I usually organize with the tv on in the background.    QVC is my go-to.  It’s soothing to me for some reason. 

Oh dear about knee - I hope you heal quickly.

I’m glad your seeing awesomeness!  

I have been putting things like huge family size bags of tortilla chips in way up high hard to reach spots (we have a step stool and reacher in kitchen).  It they fall on someone’s head they are lightweight!

I am sitting down to have soup for lunch in a favorite sparks joy for me mug.  Made in a sparks joy for me IP.  

Spoon trouble though — my most “sparks joy” spoon is one that is handcarved from rosewood—but there’s a split in its bowl so I’m afraid to use it lest some GI disturbing germs could be in the split.  

I shall use metal spoon.  

2 hours ago, Pen said:

Back to kitchen!  

Do you doing this like to do the process in silence? Or with music? Audiobook?

I’ll sometimes put music on in the main areas of the house when I’m on a roll, but there are usually kids and/or dh working on stuff and that’s a distraction for them. I’ve started listening to podcasts with earbuds if I’m wearing leggings with pockets, lol.

When I’m working on my bedroom, I sometimes AirPlay decluttering videos to the television!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, vonfirmath said:

Snapfish, Shutterfly, Walgreens & Wal-Mart are a few places that you can do this. 

Upload pictures to the site then load into books and order.  Can add stickers & captions or leave plain. It is up to you.

Also most places run sales.  You can make the album and save it until they run a good sale if not running one currently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Well, KonMari has claimed the first victim.  I twisted my knee konmari’ing my kitchen yesterday.  I thought it would feel better today, but nope.  That said, I have no regrets.  My kitchen looks awesome, lol.    I do still need to do that cabinet above the fridge, the cabinet that has no use at all because I can’t reach it.  It’s like a black hole in there.   

@Pen, I usually organize with the tv on in the background.    QVC is my go-to.  It’s soothing to me for some reason. 

Slightly funny-  we have been spending a lot of time at the orthopedic surgeon and getting mris and stuff.  Seriously, they have had quite a few decluttering injuries.  So you apparently are part of a special select group.  Lol

We have been on a streak lately.  I have been to several donation places and selling/giving away stuff.  Including several pieces of play furniture from when the kids were little.  I might have my basement back to orderly soon. 

19 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Slightly funny-  we have been spending a lot of time at the orthopedic surgeon and getting mris and stuff.  Seriously, they have had quite a few decluttering injuries.  So you apparently are part of a special select group.  Lol

Decluttering: the new extreme sport!  Seriously, doesn’t surprise me.  It is a lot of physical doing.  

19 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

We have been on a streak lately.  I have been to several donation places and selling/giving away stuff.  Including several pieces of play furniture from when the kids were little.  I might have my basement back to orderly soon. 

Sounds excellent!

I’m using cardboard boxes cut down as containers for items to be kept right now.  

Does anyone have advice on good way to cut boxes?  I’m struggling with scissors.  Don’t have a “box cutter”—do box cutters actually cut boxes well? 

These are mostly corrugated cardboard such as for arrivals from Amazon—being turned into faux “drawers” or faux “baskets” for on shelves.  

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I’m using cardboard boxes cut down as containers for items to be kept right now.  

Does anyone have advice on good way to cut boxes?  I’m struggling with scissors.  Don’t have a “box cutter”—do box cutters actually cut boxes well? 

These are mostly corrugated cardboard such as for arrivals from Amazon—being turned into faux “drawers” or faux “baskets” for on shelves.  

Box cutters are, imo, amazing. I keep one upstairs, one downstairs, and at least one in the shed. I probably have more floating around in tool bags ad what not. I’m sure I’ll come across them in my summer declutter, lol.

It isn’t always easy to keep a perfectly straight line with them, but the actual cutting is easy peasy. I can’t imagine just *opening all my Amazon and Chewy boxes without them!  (I also just cut some carpet and vinyl with mine.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome purge news - Dh is finally getting an office (out of the house)!

After years of lots of travel an using offices with a huge commute, he’s been mostly working from home for... I don’t know, I’ve lost track.  Let’s just say too long! Now he’s getting a nearby office and a bunch of his “stuff” can go there. 

Plus, he won’t be around to distract me all the time!

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 5:31 PM, Pen said:

Can they do other things too?  I’ve been putting individual lunch servings of soup into refrigerator  (the outside one — this will be even better when decluttering allows me to have one inside) in “coffee” mugs.  I can reheat them in IP.  (We don’t have a microwave.)  I wish I had a few extra excellent multipurpose mugs.  

I freeze soup in wide mouthed canning jars, the one pint size.

For thin soups that's a nice amount for one person, and for a thick soup/side dish it's enough for two.  Chili is good this way also.  

The nice thing about this specific size is that they have no shoulders, so you can put them in a bowl of hot water, wait for just the outside edge of the soup to thaw, and then slide out the whole block into a pot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been busy here, so we have not done much.

I posted previously about cleaning out our game cupboard. The games to discard are still stacked on my piano bench.

The kids had to sort through their summer clothing, because we are going on a spring break trip, and they will need shorts. The boys pulled a good stack of shorts out of their drawers to get rid of. But now those shorts are hanging out in my bedroom, waiting to be put in a donation bag. And we had to buy new clothing to fit, and those items are still bagged and cluttering up the hallway.

Sigh. Two steps forward. One and a half steps back. I have a problem with follow through. We will keep working on it, as time allows. It may be a couple of weeks before I can do more, but I will aim to get some of the things I mentioned cleaned up this weekend.

The other day, I shredded old investment records that were long rolled over or otherwise changed hands, vet records from deceased pets, old social security statements, records of maintenance on cars we no longer have, outdated vaccination records, and duplicate copies of med and ed documents.  (My emergency box was ignored for WAAAAAAY too long! 😮 )

On 1/23/2019 at 8:16 AM, mathnerd said:

I am now trying to get rid of 6 old carseats (which O don't know how to get rid of, as usual). 

Check whether your local fire station still accepts expired car seats. If you can wait for Target car seat recycling program next month, you can pass the 20% off coupon for car seat/strollers to someone else. 

Mark your calendar and stay tuned for details – Target’s Car Seat Trade in is coming back in April 2019!”  https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/planet/sustainable-products/car-seat-trade-in

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Check whether your local fire station still accepts expired car seats. If you can wait for Target car seat recycling program next month, you can pass the 20% off coupon for car seat/strollers to someone else. 

Mark your calendar and stay tuned for details – Target’s Car Seat Trade in is coming back in April 2019!”  https://corporate.target.com/corporate-responsibility/planet/sustainable-products/car-seat-trade-in

Thank you, Arcadia! This makes it so convenient. I got rid of one carseat to my curbside garbage collection company and they made a huge fuss saying that they will not take more than one carseat from me.

I did get rid of some big items I listed previously  --  a couch, 4 chairs, a bike, our remaining few bins of homeschool materials, a mattress, and a few other things.

And, I have donated another car load of miscellaneous stuff, easy pickings I think of when I am not at home, then go grab to donate as soon as I get home. I also have a box of books that my dd wants to drop at various little free libraries.

As far as papers and filing, I have gotten a lot done. Many things filed, many things recycled or burned. Still have old school papers to deal with and a few old files re: house things to go through. Freedom Filer has been awesome. Now that I have it set up, it is easy to file (keeps things from piling up on my desk), and it has been easy to retrieve a few items I have needed. Really happy with this choice.

I also read both of Dana White's books. (She's the author of A Slob Comes Clean blog.) The cleaning one is basic but I can see that it would help the overwhelmed. Her decluttering one is really very good for overstuffed houses. She has some great advice.

Generally,  still working on reducing overall and having everything in the house have its own home. My other goal is to clean out/use up pantry items, then do a better job of not overstocking.

• Like 2

Made over $250 on the clothes and toys I put in the consignment sale! Money for kids summer clothes and a new pair of running shoes for dd. 

Took several boxes of my mom's books to the used book shop and got store credit, to purchase English lit books for next yr. 

Temps are warming up. 

I think my opportunity to clean out the shed and the backyard may arrive soon! 

• Like 3