Menu

Outlander

DawnM

I watched part of one of the first episodes. I knew it 'd be a little more s#xual than I wanted when her husband gives her oral while she's sitting on a table or something. It just made it unappealing, and I 'm not sure why, because I like GoT well enough and that sure has a lot of that in it. 

I may start watching it, though, because it is one of the few TV shows we get over here in English. The other is Friends. Quality all around. hahahahhah (Great horror movies, though...but I digress.)

Just now, WendyAndMilo said:

It gets much better after that part, which to me seemed very unnecessary.

My guess (and so totally only a guess) is that they wanted to set it up so that viewers knew her relationship with her husband in "modern time" was really very healthy s3xually, so that it didn't become a question of her wanting another man because the first wasn't adequate in all ways, iykwim. So her connundrum was real, I guess I'm saying. Anyway, I do know the plot is good and the acting seems fine. 

We are watching it and really enjoying it. I once made a comment to my dd about how often we see Jamie's butt and she asked what I was talking about. She said that you can't even see his butt because he wears a kilt. I asked her about all the times he is butt ass naked and she said oh, I don't really pay attention to that. 😄 I don't so much mind the s3x between Jamie and Claire but the violence really bothers me. 

Y'all are weird. Oral is definitely necessary. 😉 Now, whether they need to show it is another question.

I think it's very hard to compare the s*x in GoT with Outlander. I would say both are relatively graphic for TV, though in line with premium TV on HBO etc. these days. There's about an equal amount in both, though it waxes and wanes in both as well. 

In GoT, so much of it is violent or with prostitutes or both. And I would say that nearly all of it is predicated on male expectations and fantasies. And it's there in the narrative either to be titillating for the audience or to further the central political machinations. A lot of it seems to be mainly about shock value.

In Outlander, it's less often about shock value and more of it is based in relationships that are simply about relationships - her two husbands mostly. It's much more female-centric in gaze and expectations. But there's still violence and rape as a running theme, sometimes very violent and extreme.

I find that I can easily tell that the s*x in Outlander was written by a woman and in GoT by a man. I find the narratives in both to have some majorly problematic elements - for Outlander, stereotypical gay villains really don't need to make any more appearances in the world... and I know she tried to redeem that with Lord John, but oy, plus I've never been sold that some of that hurt/comfort narrative wasn't just plain exploitative. And for GoT, I don't even know where to begin with the relentless idea that women are inevitable victims of rape.

Basically, if all s*x on the screen bugs you, don't watch Outlander. If sometimes it does and sometimes not, it's really different from GoT - you might have the same reaction, or you might not. I find most of the consensual action on GoT eye rollingly silly, even when graphic. I find more of the action on Outlander to be more sensual, even when it doesn't hit me specifically, if that makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This might be considered complete and utter sacrilege but...  I'm finding I just can't watch any more of Sam Heughan's (Jamie) bad acting.  He seems so stiff and unnatural.  One is very aware that it's an actor playing a part.  Come to think of it, Caitriona Balfe (Claire) is much the same although her acting isn't bothering me as much as Heughan's, for some reason.  As repellent as the character of Jonathan Randall is, Tobias Menzies is a fantastic actor.

Just my thoughts. 🙂